• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 Beta |OT| Hello Chainsaw My Old Friend, I've Come To Rev You Up Again

Is anyone else having problems with the beta? It won't let me even search for games and when it does the timer is in reverse when searching for games

Grisby

"The Gears of War 4 servers are currently unavailable."

Gah.
No we can't and I am sick of playing as Kait for the majority.
This has to be an oversight. If they're gonna do cosmetic stuff then surely they would let you choose for the retail game. Every Gears has let you choose.
Is anyone else having problems with the beta? It won't let me even search for games and when it does the timer is in reverse when searching for games
Lots of server errors. No match Xp being awarded and infinite map loading screens.

Yeah, it's a true beta.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
So I redeemed the coded that got emailed today on my PC, now it's still not showing in 'My Games' on my X1.....the wait continues lol.

Card Boy

Banned
ITT people don't know what a Beta is is. If these issues are there at launch by all means cry about it. Are you guys even reporting the bugs on the relevant forum or just coming to this thread instead?

nib95

Banned
Nah, Gears 4 looks much nicer, and is 1080p/60.

It really doesn't seem that way to me tbh. Then again, Gears 4 is early beta, so could change a lot. Two of these comparison shots are actually from the Gears UE Beta.

wjBrRQv.png

gowcaayn14gozq.png

L9D4vDM.png

were5gjlw.jpg

I94ilgt.png

gow-ue-gridlock.png

daman824

It really doesn't seem that way to me tbh. Then again, Gears 4 is early beta, so could change a lot. Two of these comparison shots are actually from the Gears UE Beta.

wjBrRQv.png

gowcaayn14gozq.png

L9D4vDM.png

http://abload.de/img/were5gjlw.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/I94ilgt.png
gow-ue-gridlock.png
That's not gears 3.... That's gears:UE, an Xbox one game...

daman824

Anyone who has actually played the beta should know that there is no way the final game will ship like this. We don't know how old this build is. But the developers have said there are graphical effects missing. The halo 5 beta ran at 720p and had more frame drops than the final arena multiplayer that ran at 900p (a 40% increase).

nib95

Banned
Gears 3 actually holds up fairly well. As someone who's not very well versed in the differences between the Unreal engine's, at this point I'm not really seeing what Unreal 4 is actually bringing Gears 4 that Unreal 3 couldn't.

AnvfHj.jpg

50kBNL.jpg

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Gears 3 actually holds up fairly well. As someone who's not very well versed in the differences between the Unreal engine's, at this point I'm not really seeing what Unreal 4 is actually bringing to Gears 4 that Unreal 3 couldn't.

AnvfHj.jpg

50kBNL.jpg

Gears 3 still looks fucking amazing.

Would kill for a 1080p 60fps remaster.

The lighting was killer, even playing UE now, though I know it's technically superior, it doesn't feel as impressive.

I get that, but isn't it based off of Unreal Engine 3 instead of Unreal Engine 4? Either way, for final release I'm expecting a far bigger jump from Gears 4.

That bigger jump will maybe happen in campaign (so far the campaign screenshots didnt look impressive either).
And MP will probably stay that way. Using UE4 and then targeting 1080p60fps is IMO a mistake...

Gears 3 still looks fucking amazing.

Would kill for a 1080p 60fps remaster.

The lighting was killer, even playing UE now, though I know it's technically superior, it doesn't feel as impressive.

Gears 3 and Halo 4 were both working some black magic on that old hardware.

Gears 3 is a very very clever game in terms of visual design, but it is also 720p, 30fps, has less sophisticated lighting, less geometry, less tessellation (if any?), etc.

Uhm the Gears 4 Maps are VERY blocky. I agree with the others. Gears 3 looks better. Sure its only 720p but Resolution isnt everything.
Shadows, Details etc look way more impressive in Gears 3 to me.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Uhm the Gears 4 Maps are VERY blocky. I agree with the others. Gears 3 looks better. Sure its only 720p but Resolution isnt everything.
Shadows, Details etc look way more impressive in Gears 3 to me.
They are blocky, but they have much more geometry. I also agree there is a long way to go with the aesthetics, and I'm sure it will be there if UE is anything to go by. Gears 3 was ridiculously polished, a perfect harmony of technical and artistic design to completely maximize the 360, yet sharp eyes can see the clever tricks. Just walk around in it looking for all the flat things added for visual depth and clever textures. Things like metal grates you walk on, windows, structure reinforcement panels, etc. They are all completely flat but they are made to look nicer than they are. The textures are also very clever, making things look bumpier or rounder than they are. Comparatively, there is lots that is actually 3D in Gears 4 that wasn't before, but the effect of authenticity is less visually striking due to how good the illusion was before. Such are diminishing returns, just as with resolution.
I myself would often prefer 720p with nicer everything overall since I play on a 24" monitor 5 feet back.

nOoblet16

Gears UE looks undoubtedly better, no question about it. It has AO, lighting seems to be complete, the PBR looks good and the map doesn't look as angular.

As for Gears 3, honestly it does look better in some areas. Mainly the lighting since the lightmass GI is completely implemented in it unlike Gears 4 and post processing effects (motion blur, crepuscular rays etc) which are completely absent in Gears 4. Other thing being the maps feel dense, less angular and seem to have a lot of stuff that make it alive like large moving flags or big waterfalls etc. Gears 3 also uses lots of shaders like PoM liberally Gears 4 doesn't.

BbZnzTw.jpg

vNSGUrn.jpg

Dice

I looked more closely at the GIF I made and WTF is going on here?

http://imgur.com/a/C4VUM

It seems right centered on his head then suddenly he is under the shot just one frame forward. If you save those two images and A-B them it's like he teleports. Man aiming in this is so confusing.

nOoblet16

I looked more closely at the GIF I made and WTF is going on here?

http://imgur.com/a/C4VUM

It seems right centered on his head then suddenly he is under the shot just one frame forward. If you save those two images and A-B them it's like he teleports. Man aiming in this is so confusing.

The game has stuttering causing stuff like that to happen, maybe you had it or he had it.

Dice

Someone just told me about "aimpunch" which is something the game does where your aim is jolted up when you get shot.

ResoRai

This is good news. Liking what Rod had to say and the direction they're going for the beta.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/gears-4-dev-slams-industry-s-twisting-of-multiplayer-betas/0165812

“The industry has taken the word beta and twisted it to mean ‘pre-release demo’,” he said. “The community thinks they should be a highly polished demo. We are really focused on saying we’re pre-alpha right now. I even joked that we should call our beta an alpha just so people understand where we are and that we are actually looking for feedback and we’re actually testing systems.”

They've been saying it's a true beta for a while now and that it's early tho. Good to have clarification for peeps.

BigTnaples

Gears UE looks undoubtedly better, no question about it. It has AO, lighting seems to be complete, the PBR looks good and the map doesn't look as angular.

As for Gears 3, honestly it does look better in some areas. Mainly the lighting since the lightmass GI is completely implemented in it unlike Gears 4 and post processing effects (motion blur, crepuscular rays etc) which are completely absent in Gears 4. Other thing being the maps feel dense, less angular and seem to have a lot of stuff that make it alive like large moving flags or big waterfalls etc. Gears 3 also uses lots of shaders like PoM liberally Gears 4 doesn't.

BbZnzTw.jpg

vNSGUrn.jpg

It really does look so great. Regret not buying UE right off the bat for the BC games. Tempted to buy it now, but it's 20 bucks, and I am sure it will pop up on GWG.

I can just dig up my old disc and throw it in though right?

nOoblet16

It really does look so great. Regret not buying UE right off the bat for the BC games. Tempted to buy it now, but it's 20 bucks, and I am sure it will pop up on GWG.

I can just dig up my old disc and throw it in though right?

The screenshots I posted are from Gears 3, which you can play just by using your own disc.

BigTnaples

The screenshots I posted are from Gears 3, which you can play just by using your own disc.

Yeah, Gears 3 looks so good. Almost done with UE which I picked up the other day, and the lighting is somehow more impressive IMO. Though I know UE is at the very least technically on par if not better in the lighting department.

Gears 4 looks bad compared to either Gears 3 or Gears Ultimate. I know it's early, but they've A LOT of work if it's to be impressive.

Theorry

Yeah, Gears 3 looks so good. Almost done with UE which I picked up the other day, and the lighting is somehow more impressive IMO. Though I know UE is at the very least technically on par if not better in the lighting department.

Gears 4 looks bad compared to either Gears 3 or Gears Ultimate. I know it's early, but they've A LOT of work if it's to be impressive.

Enabling the lighting will help really alot already.

BigTnaples

Enabling the lighting will help really alot already.

Have we got confirmation it is "disabled"? Because although it "looks" absent, here are signs of it being active to me.

Really hoping that the game will look wildly different on release, but I'm kind of skeptical.

Theorry

Have we got confirmation it is "disabled"? Because although it "looks" absent, here are signs of it being active to me.

Really hoping that the game will look wildly different on release, but I'm kind of skeptical.

Confirmation not. But DF said this.

" However, the main issue is lighting - or the curious lack thereof. There's a flatness to the look, suggesting that only a preliminary round of lighting has been implemented. Ambient occlusion appears to be absent, while Unreal Engine's pre-computed lighting system - Lightmass - isn't fully exploited. The scenes in general appear unfinished, which obviously they are. Microsoft tells us that this is an actual beta designed for testing purposes and to gauge feedback, so we're not unduly worried at the moment."

Trup1aya

Why didnt they call it alpha then? :p

Haha

Cause it's a technical beta. They shouldnt go twisting the definition of these terms in the opposite direction to offset the confusion caused by industry trends. They should just set the record straight.

I imagine they've already done much of the work to deliver more impressive visuals. Their internal build is likely much further along than the build the used for the beta.

nOoblet16

Pretty sure the reason why lighting looks incomplete is because they haven't implemented the baked data in the beta, be it due trying to keep the size of the beta small or be it due to it being incomplete.

SwolBro

Banned
ok after some solid hours with this game i'll be skipping this one as well. it's just not very good.

none of the games after Gears 1 could capture that magic for me

What button do I press to do that stabbing animation after I grab someone over cover. I just always have this awkward stare at them afterwards.

wjBrRQv.png

gowcaayn14gozq.png

L9D4vDM.png

were5gjlw.jpg

I94ilgt.png

gow-ue-gridlock.png
I still love the darker gritty look of gears 1, I know that's UE but still had more deep dark shadows then 4 beta

Top Bottom