• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 Beta |OT| Hello Chainsaw My Old Friend, I've Come To Rev You Up Again

malfcn

How did it look? Doubt it's better than that pro stream one they gave out befoee

oHtdVkl.png

And animated.

desu

Logged in and saw that I had a code in my inbox that I won't use (EU if that matters).

Quote to reveal (and say when used).

edit used

I was enjoying this until I was matched up with wall bouncers. Now I loathe this.

Edit: We ended up winning in the end so I'm back to liking it.

faint.

Codes for those who have to wait until tomorrow:

2FPKM-Q6Q79-R6JHT-M4JF6-726TZ

K7GRP-4PY2C-W47HX-CWDQR-W9K9Z

VQQG9-FGMQK-JD4JG-24G9P-RVYGZ

So I am rank 11, played a fair few matches, and had my Gears fix for now.

What is it with the Gnasher? I was big into OG Gears and the Lancer was a legit option. I remember seeing a fair few chainsaw kills in most rounds.

Gears 2 was great also, but I didn't play so much of Gears 3. Is that when the Gnasher became OP?

I don't mind having the Gnasher, I think it makes the game different in some respects, but the Lancer is just not a viable option. At least in the matches I've played.

I've seen a handful of Chainsaw kills and barely any Lancer kills. Everything is the Gnasher or an explosive of some sort.

I will pick up Gears, not least for the campaign and a bit of multiplayer, but it won't be my goto online shooter unless they make some changes to weapon balance.

So I am rank 11, played a fair few matches, and had my Gears fix for now.

What is it with the Gnasher? I was big into OG Gears and the Lancer was a legit option. I remember seeing a fair few chainsaw kills in most rounds.

Gears 2 was great also, but I didn't play so much of Gears 3. Is that when the Gnasher became OP?

I don't mind having the Gnasher, I think it makes the game different in some respects, but the Lancer is just not a viable option. At least in the matches I've played.

I've seen a handful of Chainsaw kills and barely any Lancer kills. Everything is the Gnasher or an explosive of some sort.

I will pick up Gears, not least for the campaign and a bit of multiplayer, but it won't be my goto online shooter unless they make some changes to weapon balance.

I think gimping the stopping power was a mistake. The Lancer used to be a great option in Gears 3 especially for keeping opponents at bay when charging to pick up power weapons. It made going for the weapons a battle in and of itself. Now with the minimal stopping power you can still charge with a Gnasher or head straight for a power weapons with little risk if there is only one or maybe two opponents watching it.

Flunkie

Banned
I think gimping the stopping power was a mistake. The Lancer used to be a great option in Gears 3 especially for keeping opponents at bay when charging to pick up power weapons. It made going for the weapons a battle in and of itself. Now with the minimal stopping power you can still charge with a Gnasher or head straight for a power weapons with little risk if there is only one or maybe two opponents watching it.
What? They got rid of stopping power?

What? They got rid of stopping power?

It's still there but nowhere near as effective. When you hit people straight on with it in Gears 3 they'd almost come to a complete stop. It's nothing like that now. You can pretty much always get to cover or charge through it if you're close enough in the beta.

Rifles in general are nowhere near as potent as Gears 3.

bumpkin

I was enjoying this until I was matched up with wall bouncers. Now I loathe this.

Edit: We ended up winning in the end so I'm back to liking it.
Do the co-op TDM. It's you and wall bouncers against AI bots. Much more enjoyable and rifles aren't useless anymore.

They need to bring back the Retro Lancer. That weapon in Gears 3 was every Gnasher player's worst nightmare. It forced pros to change up their strategy. The messages I got for using it were amazing.

Rockyrock

They need to bring back the Retro Lancer. That weapon in Gears 3 was every Gnasher player's worst nightmare. It forced pros to change up their strategy. The messages I got for using it were amazing.

not really since it wasnt allowed in competitive play due to the fact that it was a broken overpowered weapon.

Gears is a shotgun game, everything should take a back seat to it.

not really since it wasnt allowed in competitive play due to the fact that it was a broken overpowered weapon.

I never cared for the Gears competitive scene so that always bums me out but I'm getting a little good with the shoutgun in this beta so I can hang. I was awful in Gears 1 and 2.

I think I'm getting into this bets a little more. I started off not caring for it but I am enjoying myself. I need to work the new CQC stuff into my style. I think gbashers needed to be toned down to make the battles last longer. Also be ause everyone is on active 24/7. Some balancing issues.

The Lancer does do decent damage if you stand still and far away from your opponent and unload on them. The accuracy greatly improves and each shot always hits.

balohna

Saw a fair bit of Lancer use and CQC in the escalation game yesterday... I mean, not a ton but it's not like these pro players ONLY used the gnasher.

The mantle is a great tool. Catch someone when they are concentrating on another ally and it's an easy kill. But it's very situational and the counter does make it more risk/reward than it ever was in Gears of War 3.

Which is a good thing.

Not sure if people would agree with me but I'd like to see the Yank and Shank sped up a little. It's too slow and leaves you completely open - which is again, good as it's more risk/reward.

But, as it stands, no one has the chance to use it. Most people meet another player in cover shortly before an 'Up-A' shotgun rush, no one bothers with it at the moment because it's not worth it.

That's not to say a change wouldn't ruin it, but I'd like to see them toy with it a little during the beta.

Edit: It's funny to think the former mechanic completely nullifies the latter mechanic. One is designed to keep you moving and on the offensive, the other is a punishment for getting caught out for not moving.

The new mantle means, ironically, you're less likely to take cover in front of anyone.

I suppose it plays into mind games - 'I'll wait for the vault' BAM!

Moofers

Hearing that the retro lancer was banned in competitions makes me laugh. Heaven forbid your precious shotgun meet its match, better ban it so the only viable tactic is the shotgun/bounce method!

Seriously, banning weapons is some baby-ass dorm room shit. "Hey, John is too good with the sniper so that's banned!" LOL

smik

Sorry mate, but you don't know gears.

Played competitive gears at a high level and trust me, lancers will lock you down.

Reason i think you say that though is the gnasher is fun as shit, everyone's go to weapon and most effective up close

Hearing that the retro lancer was banned in competitions makes me laugh. Heaven forbid your precious shotgun meet its match, better ban it so the only viable tactic is the shotgun/bounce method!

Seriously, banning weapons is some baby-ass dorm room shit. "Hey, John is too good with the sniper so that's banned!" LOL

I broke a lot of spirits using the Retro. I used to roll with a dedicated Gears group that would shame me for using it. lol

bidguy

Banned
so theres a gears of war 4 ultimate edition pre order up on NZ store which gives you a season pass, some skin for del or whatever the black dudes name is plus 4 days early access to the full game lol

it says you can play on oct 7 instead of 11 4 days early if you buy that edition

didnt make pics but you can search on the NZ xbone store

maybe someone can make a thread?

edit: heres the store page

https://store.xbox.com/en-NZ/Xbox-O...r-Bundle/2af10678-fec7-4455-9b78-9cb718dfd9aa

game is also 70-70GB lol

pizzacat

Banned
Why add the mechanics if they pretty much guarantee death. If you're slow in gears you're dead, that's why you don't see people executing each of their kills and even if you yank there's no reason to not just shoot because of that time difference (unless they eat 😂)

If the speed stays the same go from yank to knife to meat bag pickup.

The arm on the mantle is too much of a tell, you have to be able to read the opponent to dodge mantle kicks not have the most obvious slow tell

Hit level 20, claimed my rewards think I may still pop in until the end of the beta it's typical gears and I've grown to love it after the slower UE experience.

Drop shot is a welcomed addition, fits the gears style so well.

Visuals need a massive upgrade though, the game looks hilariously flat, the maps are also very boring and look like they popped out of a stock map editor.

Again it's more gears which I love but also get older less of my irl friends are still playing, most of which are on ps4 so how long I stick with it I don't know

It's really tough to judge the beta based on the build we were given. The Gears 3 beta was fantastic but it was also a pretty much finished game at that point. This one, being a true beta, is just so rough that I'm not sure what's fair to criticize or assume will be fixed/polished before launch.

As it stands now though I just don't see this one surpassing Gears 3 as my favorite. That game was just so good, with every weapon having its place. That's probably the most disappointing part for me so far. The scaled back damage of the rifles, and especially the Hammerburst. What a joke that thing is. I enjoy the Gnasher fights as much as the next guy but when that's all there is because it's by far the deadliest weapon I just get kind of bored.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Played one game. Same old shit. No thanks.

Shotguns that are sniper rifles. Inconsistencies in everything. I shotgun a guy once then he shotguns me, then I shoot him again, then he shoots me, I die.

Get fucked.

Top Bottom