• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 Beta |OT| Hello Chainsaw My Old Friend, I've Come To Rev You Up Again

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Why do people keep saying Tac-Com like that means something?

You guys seriously run around with LB held down the entire game? lol

It's irrelevant anyway. Planting grenades is an awful mechanic. It was in awful in Gears 2. It was awful in Gears 3. It's awful in Gears 4.

There's no place for it.

You use it to see where teammates are and if grenades are tagged. If that means YOU need to run around with t held the entire game, you have bigger problems than video game mechanics.

I keep running straight towards people with power weapons and they always kill me. It's bullshit!

Seriously though. It's always hilarious doing anything that pisses off the people who think that Gears should be gnashers only. One game the same guy kept running into my planted grenades. Like 4-5 times. Then he sends me a message saying that I'm a noob for planting grenades. Well, stop running into them and I'll stop planting them.

i want to retract my suggestion of increasing stopping power by a bit. i started using the lancer more and its pretty much perfect the way it is right now.

also want to say that gears forum is a complete cesspit. people are crying about how gears 4 is nothing like ue lmao there is just no pleasing some people. baring a huge fuckup, gears 4 is shaping up to be the best gears to date
It's your own fault if you die from a planted grenade. Use the tac-com and perhaps listen and look once in a while instead of running straight into planted grenades.

yeah this is how i feel. now that we can use taccom to see planted grenades it really is ur fault if u get killed by them

also top tip, u can see friendly planted grenades too so if u feel out gunned just lead the enemy towards them and watch them get shreaded

XBIGYLDN

Neo Member
I like tagging grenades. It can be used so tactically to block routes or create real issues for players.

However, I can see why people are annoyed by being killed by a plated grenade. Maybe I'd they were less powerful when tagged? Idk.

Tagging is fine. Tap tac com occasionally or when approaching areas where its use is high in probability, like the frag and platform power weapon spawn on the Dam map.

There are only two issues I've experienced in the beta: latency and Gnasher range.

Grenade timers or explosion radius seemed extreme or inconsistent until putting mOrr thought into why that was. There are also moments of having bots in particular be able to use weapons while facing the opposite direction or in mid draw animation. Quite an annoyance.

Gnasher, while I love and believe it needs to be kept in its peak dueling role, should not be able to outperform the Lancer/HB and even the snub at 20 meters. If the Gnasher receives a nerf, let it be effective range in both normal and active reload performance.

Loved the Beta. Hopefully another one drops to help continue improvementstraight in a live environment.

Nuke Soda

I made a quick video of just a few of my best fails using xbox upload studio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hihpVSza2KI
I thought the only way to get boomshot kills was through sacrifice. ;)

I think the funniest fail I had involved me and an enemy. We both attempted the new grab and pull over cover technique and we did it at the same time about 3 or 4 times before my opponent got bored and blasted me with the gnasher shotgun.

Voliko

Well, got to 51 in the beta. I think it could be pretty good if they fixed most the stuff people have been complaining about. But the maps are pretty bad, don't know how they can salvage those. If these maps were in Gears 3 they would easily be among the worst maps in the game. Shot delay is my biggest complaint, and I am considering not buying the game if at least that isn't fixed.

This has made me crave gears so I might be playing some Gears 3 until 4 comes out.

Jarrod38

Still have that love and hate relationship with Gears. And today I had the grace of having a good team and having the Gnasher in my favor.

UncleMeat

Lmao the 1st one has me in stitches. It being the game winning kill makes it even better.

Ya, what's funny is that it wasn't that bad of a toss but my teammate getting gibbed blew it back on my side of the cover which gave me that Wile E. Coyote moment where I knew I was screwed but couldn't do anything.

Moofers

Well, got to 51 in the beta. I think it could be pretty good if they fixed most the stuff people have been complaining about. But the maps are pretty bad, don't know how they can salvage those. If these maps were in Gears 3 they would easily be among the worst maps in the game. Shot delay is my biggest complaint, and I am considering not buying the game if at least that isn't fixed.

This has made me crave gears so I might be playing some Gears 3 until 4 comes out.

I disagree and happen to think these maps are great. I like Foundation the most and look forward to seeing how they all turn out in Horde.

They know about the shot delay and are looking into it. The maps are definitely a concern of mine as well. I wouldn't say that these are bad, but they aren't exactly great either. At the very least the other six new maps need to be better. Imagine having nine maps like these three and then Gridlock. That will certainly be jarring.

Voliko

They know about the shot delay and are looking into it. The maps are definitely a concern of mine as well. I wouldn't say that these are bad, but they aren't exactly great either. At the very least the other six new maps need to be better. Imagine having nine maps like these three and then Gridlock. That will certainly be jarring.
Maybe not bad per se, but when I think about the old maps, they don't feel up to that standard.

I have a ton of clips I need to edit together for a video. I think this beta was really fun and I'm excited to see what the full game looks like .

Some overall thoughts:

I think the maps were pretty good. I hope we get some better locations though. Gears 3 had some fantastic environments like Thrashball, Old Town, or Sandbar. Cool to play in.

I would have liked a mid-beta update with some new weapons. Anxious to try out the Buzzsaw or whatever it's called.

The game plays super smooth other than some performance issues which are to be expected at this stage. It was great coming from the UE and just being able to move again.

The game did not look that great but I expect this is because of how far out from release we are, an effort to keep download sizes small, and for performance.

Dodgeball is amazing gamemode and perfect for Gears.

I still don't know if I like the new Active System. I think it rewards the wrong things.

Top Bottom