• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 coming free with Nvidia 1070 & 1080s through Oct 30

vg260

It is a crazy situation, and this was probably a bad approach for MS to take, but let's keep in mind the real problem here are the thieves who stole all these codes and then sold them to the unknowing rest of us. I see too many people complaining about MS/Amazon/Nvidia and not enough criticism of the real assholes here.

(And for the record I paid $35 for my copy, which seemed like a legit price for a legit good, and this was before the Amazon glitch was public knowledge. People who paid freaking $7 obviously knew something was up.)

Really sucks for those who bought them when there was no evidence of abuse. That's a standard typical second-hand market, just like someone who sells off a physical copy of a game they got in a bundle. (and you can't even resell digital).

Heck, Newegg was giving out the game to some customers who bought the game before the promo started. I even bought a 1070 too, just too early it seems.

Soulflarz

Banned
Why on Earth would you think this way? If someone stole your bike and sold it to your neighbor, do you just let the neighbor keep the bike because he paid for it?

They had a right to do it. It's just annoying they didn't have a method in place to go after those who scammed everyone.

Bread

Banned
Why on Earth would you think this way? If someone stole your bike and sold it to your neighbor, do you just let the neighbor keep the bike because he paid for it?
Because it's not our fault, it's the vendor's fault for giving them out instantly upon purchase and creating this issue. Amazon should be footing the bill, they fucked up.

etta

my hard graphic balls
So anyone know how I have to proceed with the item being marked as unpaid item and not cancelled?

Thank God I convinced Amazon to give me a $60 Amazon credit to buy Gears of War 4 instead of an actual NVIDIA code, no chance of my legit key getting revoked accidentally now.
I'm about to get my $60 credit what the fuck. Why am I being punished for a bunch of idiots? I just want what I was advertised and if it isn't gears 4 then it'll be something worth $60.

ryan299

I preloaded the game and it's still on my hard drive, but when I launch it, it says I need to buy the game to play it. Got to get my $10 back on paypal.

chixdiggit

Because it's not our fault, it's the vendor's fault for giving them out instantly upon purchase and creating this issue. Amazon should be footing the bill, they fucked up.
So Amazon should be reimbursing MS?!?! That's not how the real world works.
The people that stole the keys are the ones responsible.

Is it a digital bike?

Are you trying to say that because it's a digital product that it's not worth anything?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So Amazon should be reimbursing MS?!?! That's not how the real world works.
The people that stole the keys are the ones responsible.

The keys being revoked won't effect them at all in most cases, the only people this hurts are the ones who bought the keys, the sellers are laughing all the way to the bank.

The issue is nvidia isn't eating the hit for customers and the average customer can't tell the difference between the $20-35 keys and the $7 keys.
I saw keys for $30, then $20. Assumed $20 was just a great deal, got it. Saw $7, realized something has to be up, but was too late for my key by then, asked if it was error key, got a refund from him at request as a result.

That's not really the point though. MS/Amazon/NVIDIA isn't eating the cost, nor are the scammers- they've made hundreds, instead of amazon or whomever going after them off their associated info on the cancelled charges. The random consumer thinking they got a good deal of $30ish off is eating this if they didn't buy it on ebay, and that's not really right.
No. Again, the real issue is a bunch of thieves stole a lot of codes and sold them to us. Let's not lose sight of that here. Amazon/Nvidia/MS should have kept their goods locked up better, I don't dispute that, but the problem here remains the amoral scumbags who proceeded to rob them of these goods and then sell them.

I don't like how the companies are handling this either, but morally and logically the real problem is the criminals.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Personally I would stop responding to the seller and contact eBay or PayPal and make a case or ask them directly.
Yea if it's not marked as cancelled by tomorrow or maybe Monday since tomorrow is Saturday, I will call eBay and go through the full story, including the fact that I felt he might've threatened me. I did get a full refund, though, maybe the seller is just swamped with dozens of refund requests right now and he's mixing things up.

Darkangel

Just got an email saying my ebay order was refunded.

Ran to check my PC and Gears 4 was gone :(

At least I got my money back...

Soulflarz

Banned
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=218692139#post218692139

threads up if you wanna fight discuss in there :V

No. Again, the real issue is a bunch of thieves stole a lot of codes and sold them to us. Let's not lose sight of that here. Amazon/Nvidia/MS should have kept their goods locked up better, I don't dispute that, but the problem here remains the amoral scumbags who proceeded to rob them of these goods and then sell them.

I don't like how the companies are handling this either, but morally and logically the real problem is the criminals.

You realize a lot of people did this on GAF, right? Not even the $15 codes, some were selling 30-40 without disclosing. Welcome to the internet :/

Yeah I was lucky enough to have my ebay seller refund my 50$CAD I guess Im lucky. Ill need to wait for a sale because I just cant buy Gears at 79.99CAD theres no way.

Werd

Sigh, revoked of course buying from Reddit. I've only sent money a handful of times (usually just use PayPal for retail transactions), didn't even think to mark it as business or such.. easily would have paid a little extra for the ability to dispute. Oh well, I happened to buy a 1070 anyway and have a legitimate key but annoys me to give some money to someone who was scamming that I wasn't aware of.

edit: Redeemed my real code. Wouldn't let me do it on the same e-mail through NVidia, but redeemed to my same MS account successfully when I used another e-mail at NVidia. Finishing the download it stopped halfway in now.

edit2: Scratch that, it says I own the game but it wouldn't finish installing. Now I have to redownload an entire 73 gigs. And then, assuming it actually works, still however much on the XB1 later. This game is going to be nearly 200 gigs of download... glad I'm not limited.

I've gotten a refund initiated from my ebay seller. If you bought from this listing then you should have no problem getting a refund:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gears-of-Wa.../201673949683?ssPageName=ADME:X:RRNTB:CA:3160

Now the question is, is there any way to getting around paying $79.99 Canadian dollars for this game? Because that's a big chunk of change right there.

phew. I was sweating a bit thinking that this would be a hassle. Shows me for trying to jump on a "too good to be true" deal. These codes popped up same day but I still went against my better judgement. Put in a refund request with eBay so hopefully this credits back to me quickly. Good luck to everyone out there!

Koeta

Buy games legit keep legit games. Its simple really.

To be fair the promo was a legit copy, a few of us thought we were buying legit promo codes not scams.

Why pay $60 for a copy when someone who gets a video card and doesn't care about it sells it for $30?

Acidote

How do I know if my license has been revoked? I bought it on ebay from what I though was a legit seller. I can still hit the Play button but I don't know if that's because it was already completely preloaded or if the code is legit.

Sarcasm

How far back can this go like my buddy bought a 1070 not to far after release.

Though we are in Taiwan so I don't know if it even applies here.

Caayn

Revoking just makes people angry at you and not want to spend additional money on your product after getting scammed. Backlash incoming
Huh? They won't make any money of the people who got keys through this glitch. In fact this isn't an uncommon way to handle keys obtained through other methods.

For example: last year I bought an ESO code from someone. A little later the key got deactivated by Zenimax thus resulting in me losing access to the game. I learned at that time that the key was obtained through unofficial methods. Not too dissimilar from these Gears keys.
People who have revoked keys, did you take away nvidias access to your account?
Well, the process shouldn't be too hard. If Amazon/NV did their homework probably, they will. They can see which order has gotten which code, and of course the order status. And with that code they can see which game key has been redeemed. It's a very process simple process really.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
It just disappeared from my library as well. Still kinda scared about that threat though, who threatens people over $15 when they know eBay can track him down though.
Should I get in contact with eBay over this?
I am, I thought the dude was just selling a key. I had bought it before any of this Amazon/fake CC stuff came to light. I've put through a refund request with the info to ebay today.

Are there any places doing the promo in the U.K. where I'd be able to get the card today? Prime Now would have worked if Amazon hadn't fucked up.

Top Bottom