• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 coming free with Nvidia 1070 & 1080s through Oct 30

Lothars

They had a right to do it. It's just annoying they didn't have a method in place to go after those who scammed everyone.

The keys being revoked won't effect them at all in most cases, the only people this hurts are the ones who bought the keys, the sellers are laughing all the way to the bank.
agreed this just sucks.

Buy games legit keep legit games. Its simple really.
They were legit codes, I paid 35 For mine, I'm hoping eBay refunds me but I've five this dozens of time and never got revoked so it sucks. I understand why they did it but legit people got screwed and Its a shame people are defending that.

Caayn

I'm confused. Is buying the Nvidia code that came with a 1080 or 1070 considered illegitimate?
No. It's the method that's used to obtain the code.

Plenty of codes were obtained through a glitch in Amazon's system for promo codes with 1070s and 1080s. The codes obtained through that glitch are illegitimate and those are being revoked.

Buying a stolen good doesn't erase the fact that it was stolen. Any money that you as a buyer lost is the responsibility of the person whom sold you the object. Not the person from whom the object was stolen from in the first place.

Lazaro

I'm confused. Is buying the Nvidia code that came with a 1080 or 1070 considered illegitimate?

Depends,

as long as the NVidia product was payed in full there shouldn't be any problems 😄

If the NVidia product wasn't payed for or cancelled then the code is considered illegitimate ☠

Lettuce

So what are the chances of the 1070 cards dropping more to their RRP between now and the 30th of October when this deal ends??

I was adamant that i would buy a 1070 until they got close to their announced RRP but i waning a bit now as i was going to get Gears 4 anyways so the way i look at this is its like the price on a 1070 getting slashed approx £40!

BorntoPlay

If you have experienced your download restarting from scratch, I strongly suggest you use this simple guide:

"
1. Make sure the both PCs have the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (build 1607) installed

2. Download and install Fiddler. This program will be used to find the link to the install package generated by the Windows Store.

3. In Fiddler, click WinConfig, and in the following menu check Store. Save Changes afterwards and close the WinConfig window.

4. In the Windows Store, start the download for Halo 5: Forge. If it doesn't work there, or you do not want the Halo app as well, install from the My Library option when you click on your account image

5. In Fiddler, check the traffic for a large amount of requests to a Microsoft website. Right click one and click Copy -> Just URL. If you do not know what to look for, see this example (basically, a URL containing '/filestreamingservice/files').

6. After copying the link, close Fiddler, cancel the download in the Store and paste the link into your web browser or a download manage and let it complete. So, basically you should see this (if we were downloading Forza 6 Apex).

7. When the download is complete and you're back on your target PC (with the downloaded .Appx/.EAppx). Start the download of Halo 5 Forge from the Windows Store on this PC, but pause it after about 10 MB. This is so your PC obtains the licence information for the game so it can activate on first launch. After that is done, pause the download and close the Store

8. Open the folder the install package is located in Windows Explorer, press Alt + D and type 'powershell' and hit Enter.

9. In the Powershell window type the following (hint: rename the install package to something short beforehand) Then just wait for the install to finish (If you want to install somewhere other than C: drive, go to Settings -> System -> Storage and change the install drive under 'New apps will save to:')
add-appxpackage Halo5Forge.EAppx

10. Launch Halo 5 Forge from the Start Menu. Provided your PC meets the requirements, it should work.

Hopefully this helps some people get around the closed nature of the Windows Store."

Just got off the chat line with Sanjib at NVidia Support. They are "aware" of the issue LOL but they will not do anything for you or me or anyone else.

Yeah, my key got smoked too. $39 from EBay and trying to get a refund now myself.

I pointed out to Sanjib that you did not see Codemasters and Square Enix kill keys when Dirt Rally and ROTR had their keys go out under the table similar to this instance.

On a personal note, I have a small form factor i7 6700 here. So the only card I could find to fit it was a small factor 1060. The 1070 small factor is like 75% more money, but I could not even get a whiff of one of those. So I asked NVidia support that if I could prove the purchase of the 1060 (bought on 9/20/16 and have the receipt scanned to help out) would they work with me with the key. NVidia support made it clear they have no policy in place for this whole mess other than "NO".

And now my Gears 4 pre-order key is gone. I honestly believed I would be able to play this Friday and that fate had smiled on me by letting me find a good price on a key.

So much for that, and so much for this 1060 because it is already in the box and heading back for a refund (still have 13 days). Will not work with me, no way in hell I keep your full priced paid for product around me then... just how I roll, your millage may vary.

Not too upset however, as the $50 season pass is bullshit anyway, and I can wait to GAMEFLY the title later on this year when GAMEFLY has one of their blowout sales.

But to save people trouble, NVidia is NOT doing anything to help anyone here and will not in any case:

Sanjib: This is customer support and we are aware of this.

Sanjib: I am sorry, there is nothing much we could do here.

That is the official company line regarding this sad state of affairs.

Moral of the story: Codemasters and Square Enix are cooler than Microsoft and The Coalition HAHA

Just got off the chat line with Sanjib at NVidia Support. They are "aware" of the issue LOL but they will not do anything for you or me or anyone else.

Yeah, my key got smoked too. $39 from EBay and trying to get a refund now myself.

I pointed out to Sanjib that you did not see Codemasters and Square Enix kill keys when Dirt Rally and ROTR had their keys go out under the table similar to this instance.

On a personal note, I have a small form factor i7 6700 here. So the only card I could find to fit it was a small factor 1060. The 1070 small factor is like 75% more money, but I could not even get a whiff of one of those. So I asked NVidia support that if I could prove the purchase of the 1060 (bought on 9/20/16 and have the receipt scanned to help out) would they work with me with the key. NVidia support made it clear they have no policy in place for this whole mess other than "NO".

And now my Gears 4 pre-order key is gone. I honestly believed I would be able to play this Friday and that fate had smiled on me by letting me find a good price on a key.

So much for that, and so much for this 1060 because it is already in the box and heading back for a refund (still have 13 days). Will not work with me, no way in hell I keep your full priced paid for product around me then... just how I roll, your millage may vary.

Not too upset however, as the $50 season pass is bullshit anyway, and I can wait to GAMEFLY the title later on this year when GAMEFLY has one of their blowout sales.

But to save people trouble, NVidia is NOT doing anything to help anyone here and will not in any case:

Moral of the story: Codemasters and Square Enix are cooler than Microsoft and The Coalition HAHA

Sorry mate but let me get this straight.

You're upset because nvidia wouldn't give you a key for a product you purchased that was not part of the promotion plus the fact that you bought a key off the 'grey market'?

My key got revoked as well but I knew what I was getting into in the first place. Just to add insult to injury I got a 1080 FTW 2 weeks before the promotion started.

tuna_love

Banned

lol

So I'm going to be getting a new graphics card tomorrow, but I kinda want to play Gears this weekend. Is there an option to upgrade my redeemed version to the ultimate version, or is that not supported by the Windows store?

You say you're not too upset but you're returning your GPU so it sounds like you are pretty upset. Especially since that GPU didn't even have the offer for Gears 4.

You say you're not too upset but you're returning your GPU so it sounds like you are pretty upset. Especially since that GPU didn't even have the offer for Gears 4.

Nah, not upset, just wanted to make it clear that NVidia customer service is not flexible in any way here, and that the statement by The Coalition is not true because NVidia has only one policy in place (the policy of "NO!") and will not work with anyone in a given situation even if they are actually supporting the company itself in their own way. I have that right as a customer to make my own decisions as much as they do here.

It is hard to stand up to something you feel is wrong when you drop several hundred on one of their products. Choices have to be made in order for the message to be clearly understood.

This was my second time using a pre-order bundle code like this, and my copy of Dirt Rally is still in my Steam library, just sayin'...

phant0m

wow.jpg

BraXzy

The fallout from this whole thing gets better and better.

None of us were entitled to anything if we got our key from the grey market. We made our gamble and it didn't pay off for most of us.

xAlias

Your sense of entitlement is kinda strong considering you went ahead and bought a grey market key for half the retail price which turned out to be scammed keys.

Not sure why you are outraged by not getting a free key when obviously you can get a refund from ebay.

dLMN8R

So I'm going to be getting a new graphics card tomorrow, but I kinda want to play Gears this weekend. Is there an option to upgrade my redeemed version to the ultimate version, or is that not supported by the Windows store?

[edit] Never mind - you're asking about the redeemed version, not a version you actually purchased

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Those who got their first codes pulled, then got a new code, any issues redeeming?

Vitacat

Bestbuy just sent me my code and I'm downloading GOW4 right now.

Very happy, because when I bought my PC this promo was not yet announced, but Bestbuy made sure I got a code. I wasn't expecting it to actually happen. Free $60 game that I would've bought on my own = sweet.

So yeah, anyone who was told by Bestbuy that you would receive a code, they meant it.

low-G

I bought my card on the 26th and actually finally got a code today after 2 weeks of bitching at Amazon.

Pretty lucky. Well, I bought my card on the ~4th and finally got a $41 credit (10% refund) yesterday after contacting Amazon 6 times, so it could have been worse.

Just to be certain, the codes themselves don't expire on October 30th, right? I plan on buying a whole new computer soon, but bought the 1070 for it early just to get the free game (which I can't run on my current PC). The e-mail I received with the code says "Offer available through October 30th, 2016 or while supplies last" but... that's just the promotion, not the code itself, right? It should be fine if I redeem it like next month?

Newlove

This campaign is feeling like quite a good length. Just got out of the mines, must be about 7 hours in. Edit whoops thought this was the OT.

AlStrong

Just to be certain, the codes themselves don't expire on October 30th, right? I plan on buying a whole new computer soon, but bought the 1070 for it early just to get the free game (which I can't run on my current PC). The e-mail I received with the code says "Offer available through October 30th, 2016 or while supplies last" but... that's just the promotion, not the code itself, right? It should be fine if I redeem it like next month?

Why don't you just activate the code on geforce.com with your microsoft account. o_O

SRTtoZ

I ordered and received a 1080 from Amazon on the 28th, what do I need to do in order to get the code?

You should have gotten a code from Amazon that you turn into Nvidia and then Nvidia will tie the game to your MS/Xbox account.

I bought a 1070 today from Best Buy and they emailed me the code right after pickup and Nvidia still accepted it even though it said the promo was going to end Oct 30th.

Top Bottom