• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 Graphics & Performance Guide

Lazaro

Gow4 looks more like a PC Game ported to Xbox haha.

But The Coalition is meant to be Microsoft's top-tier devs or somethin so hopefully there are NO MAJOR ISSUES with the UWP PC version.

Javin98

Banned
Why would you assume that?

And quite convinced? Are you serious?
I merely used FH3 as an example, and the fact that Microsoft has some common sense to not make the Xbox version, their main platform, look like shit by comparison.
So snarky.
Well, the guide states that the GTX 750 Ti runs the game at an average of 45FPS on a mix of Medium and Low settings. An educated guess would place the XB1 version at Medium settings at best with a solid 30FPS.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
There are framerate hitches when game load new areas or you reach a checkpoint?

I've haven't observed anything like that.

Would you know anything about how a FX-6300 and GTX 1060 6gb pairing would fair? Thanks for tanking the time to answer questions!

I haven't tested that combo, but in general the game cares far more about the GPU: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...performance-guide#gears-of-war-4-overclocking

Just out of curiosity, is this game pretty taxing on the CPU? I would assume not, but you never know.

Can't get MSI Afterburner stats in UWP, but we can see CPU performance in the benchmark: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...performance-guide#gears-of-war-4-overclocking Very much GPU bound

Etta seems quite convinced that the XB1 version runs on the High preset already. ;)

Have you tested split-screen PC performance? Would love to know how it affects framerate at the various settings levels and if it plays nice with the dynamic resolution scaling to keep things smooth. Thanks!

We've been using a feature-limited build to keep filesizes down, and security up, so I haven't been able to look at this. Would certainly be interested to see it myself, splitscreen isn't something we get all that often on PC.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Nope. We pick the best location for stressing a setting, instead of just using the benchmark or 1 spot in the game with a minor use of that option. Also, DoF is in only in cinematics, so you've got the normal rendering cost of that scene plus DoF.

Andy, congrats on the awesome guide.

Now something kinda off-topic, but how much time do you invest in creating something as comprehensive as this?

I imagine that you guys generate a insane amount of game footage and screen to parse later and located the most stressful points.

Man, this awesome! 60fps on Ultra for GTX970 for my home rig. I will put on Dynamic Scaling just in case.

I'll definitely use Dynamic Scaling (up to 50%) for my GTX970M on my laptop.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Andy, congrats on the awesome guide.

Now something kinda off-topic, but how much time do you invest in creating something as comprehensive as this?

I imagine that you guys generate a insane amount of game footage and screen to parse later and located the most stressful points.

The build we used was installed on Thursday, and I worked on from 7am-11pm Friday, 7am-3am Saturday, 8am-11pm Sunday, 7am-10pm Monday, most of yesterday when not doing work stuff, and then some final bits and pieces today. I've done more in less time before, so this was pretty easy going in comparison :)

Lots of playing to find spots, then lots of setting toggling, benchmarking, etc And I have a colleague who does the wider range of benchmarking for the charts and GPU lineups. Wouldn't be able to do it without him, so props to Oleg.

Well okay then, I will buy my first windows store game. Random question though: do we need live gold to play online on the PC?

I assume not, but you never know given Microsoft.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Well, the guide states that the GTX 750 Ti runs the game at an average of 45FPS on a mix of Medium and Low settings. An educated guess would place the XB1 version at Medium settings at best with a solid 30FPS.
Hah.
Let's see how this educated guess of yours works out in reality.

Props to Coalition for their great programming skills using UE4!

I have a 4770k with a 1060 so it's going to be a treat playing this game at 1080p @ 60 fps.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I have two related questions about the resolution scaling in Gears of War 4 (and other games):

1. Assuming 100% is my native 1680x1050 res, how many percentage points do I need to go up by to achieve 1920x1080?

2. Is it more demanding on a PC to scale to scale to higher resolution than it is to play at that resolution natively? Or would performance be about similar?

Thanks!

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
FYI - MultiGPU support will be hitting in an sometime after launch. Testing a few things out and wanting to make sure it is perfect before hitting everyone.

Javin98

Banned
Hah.
Let's see how this educated guess of yours works out in reality.
Well, going through the guide, there are several inexpensive settings that can easily be on High or even Ultra on XB1, but if you're hoping for the more demanding ones like screen space reflections, shadow quality and level of detail to be generally on High, you're going to be disappointed.

Also, your bias is clearly showing. My "educated guess" is basically already facts. A GTX 750Ti was matching many games on the PS4 almost a year ago. If the XB1 version is significantly above the GTX 750Ti, something is clearly wrong with the PC version.

The fact that the PC version reaches 160+ FPS and the XB1 runs it at ~60 suggests that it's not very CPU intensive.
?? Doesn't the XB1 version run at 30FPS?

since the game is play anywhere, can me and my son (provided he has xbl gold) play co op together with me on pc and him on x1?
I think you can if the Xbox is set as your home console, and your son plays on a different account on that console (and you'll be on your account on the PC).

At least it should

agentreza

Andy, thanks for the awesome guide!! I have a 980 TI + 4790k combo, any chance for 1440p at 60fps at the insane setting? Will turning down DOF and the screen space stuff to ultra help achieve that?

I have two related questions about the resolution scaling in Gears of War 4 (and other games):

1. Assuming 100% is my native 1680x1050 res, how many percentage points do I need to go up by to achieve 1920x1080?

2. Is it more demanding on a PC to scale to scale to higher resolution than it is to play at that resolution natively? Or would performance be about similar?

Thanks!

1. (1920x1080)÷(1680x1050) = 1.175, squareroot that give you 1.084, so you only need to set resolution scale to 108% - 109% to have an approx. pixel count as 1080p. But since your monitor in this case is not 16:9 so you won't be able to achieve full 1080p here.

2. Downscaling means the game is rendering at a higher resolution than your monitor, so naturally it will consume more resources and have lower framerates.

suikodan

Can't wait to try this game.

I know I'm below minimum with i5-2500K (with a 970 though) but that game will be the deciding factor if I upgrade my PC or not.

aka_bueno

i7 6700 (non K) + GTX 1060 6GB.

I should be fine at ultra 60fps @1080p right? Not sure how that CPU in the benchmark compares to mine so just making sure...

etta

my hard graphic balls
Well, going through the guide, there are several inexpensive settings that can easily be on High or even Ultra on XB1, but if you're hoping for the more demanding ones like screen space reflections, shadow quality and level of detail to be generally on High, you're going to be disappointed.

Also, your bias is clearly showing. My "educated guess" is basically already facts. A GTX 750Ti was matching many games on the PS4 almost a year ago. If the XB1 version is significantly above the GTX 750Ti, something is clearly wrong with the PC version.

First you said medium at best and you even bolded it, now you're moving goalposts saying that some settings might be High or Ultra? Then you somehow interpreted what I said as me "hoping"? Talking about bias when you yourself are guilty of it, the snarky remarks, the wrong interpretation because you automatically assumed things as a result of who you were talking to.
You're trying pretty hard to hide it but it's still there, regardless of how subtle it is, you're not fooling anyone. Just FYI :)
Let's see how accurate your educated guess is, how considerably worse the Xbox version will be at like-for-like resolution, when the game releases.

Nokterian

Wow, holy shit. Thanks for the link! Hoping this game goes way better than Forza Horizon 3! Sold my XBOX and upgraded my PC recently and I'm 1/2 on these XBOX games coming out on PC. Already got a refund for FH3, so I think I'll wait until after release for this one. This guide does instill hope though!

Just going to post a specific picture from the guide here as it may interest many people:

71 fps on 1080p with my GTX970 i am ok with this.

Javin98

Banned
First you said medium at best and you even bolded it, now you're moving goalposts saying that some settings might be High or Ultra? Then you somehow interpreted what I said as me "hoping"? Talking about bias when you yourself are guilty of it, the snarky remarks, the wrong interpretation because you automatically assumed things as a result of who you were talking to.
You're trying pretty hard to hide it but it's still there, regardless of how subtle it is, you're not fooling anyone. Just FYI :)
Let's see how accurate your educated guess is, how considerably worse the Xbox version will be at like-for-like resolution, when the game releases.
What bias do I clearly show in my posts? I'm certainly not gloating "PC Master Race". And I meant as a baseline, at best, Medium will be the settings on XB1. This is assuming that the XB1 version does, in fact, run at a native 1080p at all times and does not utilize dynamic resolution scaling. If it does dip to 900p on regular intervals, it wouldn't be a suprise that the XB1 could run it on High as a baseline.

Before you try to be a smart ass, educate yourself and check out the guide. There are several settings that cost next to nothing to increase. I will admit I jumped the horse a bit when I said Medium at best on XB1, as I hadn't read the guide yet.

You can go around thinking I have a thing against the XB1 for all I care. Just stating a likely scenario, deal with it. Is the XB1 going to magically have a lot more hardware grunt to power past the GTX 750Ti? Of course not. Could this guide be wrong and the GTX 750Ti can do better than what was mentioned? Possibly. But I'm just going by the guide.

Darkangel

FYI - MultiGPU support will be hitting in an sometime after launch. Testing a few things out and wanting to make sure it is perfect before hitting everyone.

Will it support mixed GPU setups, or do the two cards have to be the same? I think AotS is the only game that lets you combine Nvidia and AMD cards so far.

dmix90

It's close. Very. And when we update Gears 4, we will also update Gears UE at nearly the same time. Both are getting MGPU support at the same time.
This sounds good, but "Very" is at least few weeks in Windows Store world isn't it? I mean even if patch will be submitted at game launch there is still certification process.

Top Bottom