• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 - Impressions and Previews

Theorry

Gears of War 4's campaign feels like an Epic revival
Hands on with campaign and multiplayer.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-09-19-gears-of-war-4s-campaign-feels-like-an-epic-revival

Hands-on: Gears of War 4 takes things back to the start, to rebuild what made the series so special in the first place

http://www.gamesradar.com/hands-on-...ade-the-series-so-special-in-the-first-place/

GEARS OF WAR 4 PREVIEW – BRUTALITY REVISITED

http://www.cgmagonline.com/2016/09/19/gears-war-4-preview-brutality-revisited/

GETTING TO WAVE 50 IN GEARS OF WAR 4'S HORDE MODE IS BRUTALLY HARD

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/09...brutally-hard?abthid=57df84105af8896b29000037

Is Gears of War the best thing ever? I visited The Coalition to find out!

http://m.windowscentral.com/gears-war-4-studio

It's great to see that the new studio for Gears of War is trying new things, but it's also clear to see that they are trying not to anger too many fans by keeping in what people loved originally. There are a few exceptions to this such as an epic sequence where you get to drive a motorcycle chasing after a plane, guns blazing. While the two new cover mechanics are great additions, I think we'll have to wait until the next instalment in the franchise before the studio feels confident enough to truly experiment with the possibilities they have in Gears of War. The fifth game is not a revolution, but definitely an evolution, ultimately playing it a little bit safe.

http://www.gamereactor.eu/previews/466363/Gears+of+War+4/

Let me know if you find more. :)

pitchfork

L090lvT.gif

dugdug

Banned
This game is gonna be legit. Shun the nonbelievers for thinking they wouldn't deliver.

Gears is back brehs.

*holds his hand up in shame*

I mean, I'm still bummed that a new studio has turned into a Gears-only factory, but, at least they seem to be breathing well-needed new life into the franchise, while keeping what people love about Gears intact.

Hyped as shit, now.

Yeah gears 1 was still my favorite. Doubt I'll get a box just to play it. But good to have another gem waiting for me if I do.

Campaign looks a little too dude bro, but gears co-op is super fun

Theorry

It's great to see that the new studio for Gears of War is trying new things, but it's also clear to see that they are trying not to anger too many fans by keeping in what people loved originally. There are a few exceptions to this such as an epic sequence where you get to drive a motorcycle chasing after a plane, guns blazing. While the two new cover mechanics are great additions, I think we'll have to wait until the next instalment in the franchise before the studio feels confident enough to truly experiment with the possibilities they have in Gears of War. The fifth game is not a revolution, but definitely an evolution, ultimately playing it a little bit safe.

http://www.gamereactor.eu/previews/466363/Gears+of+War+4/

I'm a big fan of this quote from that stevivor site.

"With the possibility to play the Campaign solo, splitscreen, online or – for the first time – online cross-play with one player on Xbox One and another on Windows 10, I asked creative director Chuck Osieja which takes precedence. Without a doubt it’s couch co-op, he said. New developer The Coalition knows that’s how the Gears of War series has been best played thus far and that’s how they’ve crafted Gears of War 4."

Now I just need to find some friends irl that wanna play some Gears.

Thank Christ, hoping this is Xbox One's Halo 3.
Epic revival, you say?
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for, that they knock it out of the park. Xbox 360 had all these great watershed moments for coop/mp shooters while this gen, the shooters that have really stood out to me so far are either 100% online team based (like Overwatch) or SP campaigns (the id reboots).

Yeah, that's not great.

jbug617

Banned
Hoping this is well optimized for PC. My GPU upgrade won't be for a year or two.

The number of customization options on PC is, frankly ridiculous. It has everything you’d expect, from framerate settings to anti-aliasing options and ambient occlusion to less conventional options for PC. This includes the ability to enable the same dynamic rendering resolution tricks the Xbox One version uses, which will reduce the game’s rendering resolution when needed in order to maintain a consistent framerate.

Gears of War 4 looks stunning at 4K, especially up close on a computer monitor

XB1S and HDR sounds awesome also

there’s something to be said for running the game on an HDR-capable television on an Xbox One S console. The difference in contrast and brightness in the game with and without is often jaw-dropping. The lightning arcing out of DBs when they’re chainsawed is a brilliant flash, and fire can be a little hard to look directly at for too long. It’s stunning, though I wonder if my eyes will get a little tired by it in practice.

HDR aside, Gears of War 4 still looks fantastic on Xbox One, and it may even set the visual benchmark for the console in the system’s fourth holiday on the market.
http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/19/12...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for, that they knock it out of the park. Xbox 360 had all these great watershed moments for coop/mp shooters while this gen, the shooters that have really stood out to me so far are either 100% online team based (like Overwatch) or SP campaigns (the id reboots).

Yeah, that's not great.

Look at her character model and tell me what is wrong with it... I swear some of you people are just looking for something to be upset about.

You could take the armor out of any sort of context or you could just post a picture of the character which would show that it's not a chainmail bikini but that wouldn't make the proper point so we'll have to ignore that.

Exactly. Her body design is different, they're not pimping her out.

Her in game model is great, but there's really no reason they couldn't have just given her a smaller version of the one the guys wear. i don't see the logistical reason for her lack of shoulder pads and the midriff section getting cut off on the armor. It is was it is.

dugdug

Banned
Nope, doesn't matter, people need to have their faux outrage. *eyeroll*

"Kinda disappointing" /= "outrage"

I'm still psyched as hell for this game, but, her armor literally only protects her boobs, you guys. They could have done better.

Kill3r7

Her in game model is great, but there's really no reason they couldn't have just given her a smaller version of the one the guys wear. i don't see the logistical reason for her lack of shoulder pads and the midriff section getting cut off on the armor. It is was it is.

No idea why she does not have shoulder pads. The rest of the design is fitting with the guys. All their midriffs are showing, the design is similar to football pads.

The launch trailer was fantastic, and these previews sound outstanding. While I've been excited for Gears 4, and had intent to purchase it, I've yet to reach the massive levels of hype I had for previous entries in the series - until today.

Pretty much all the previews for mp and campaign seem to be glowing, the game is looking great.

No idea why she does not have shoulder pads. The rest of the design is fitting with the guys. All their midriffs are showing, the design is similar to football pads.

Probably just show they could show off her sweet tattoos. It might very well be Anna's old armor since Kat (that's her name right?) was never in the COG. I'm too lazy to check right now.

goty

anya had the exact same armour in gears of war 3 and no one said anything.

So it's probably Anna's old armor. They've already established that This character was not a member of the COG so she probably doesn't have armor of her own.

amdb00mer

Sounds promising and like The Coalition and Rod will deliver. I love the new trailer, but feel as though that one scene with old man Fenix may have given away too much.

amdb00mer

So it's probably Anna's old armor. They've already established that This character was not a member of the COG so she probably doesn't have armor of her own.

have you seen the new trailer that was released today? It is Anya's armor. Marcus Fenix kept the old armor and that's what they are wearing.

Newboi

I'm really hoping this one is stand out in a great way. None of the other games grabbed me like the first Gears title. Gears 2 was fun, but the single player campaign lost a lot of steam during the last third of the game, and Gears 3 actually put me to sleep; the magic was gone by the time Judgement came out.

Edit: I thought Pascal and Polaris cards support HDR? I was reading the Polygon impressions and distinctly read that HDR was only available on the Xbox One S.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I was pretty mild on the hype for this, but it looks fucking amazing.

I was going to wait until Black Friday to see if there are any sales, but I might just grab this day 1 despite having to get through 2 long ass JRPGs.

Top Bottom