• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 - In depth details (Game Informer)

Would be great if they abandoned regen health, otherwise hard for me to get excited. I always felt like there was so much more they could do with their crazy enemies but regen health really limits what you can do there.

-Wanted to revamp the cover system; can more easily mantle kick over any piece of cover & perform knife kills
-Can also perform a short distance shoulder charge, knocking enemies off balance
-Enemies can also pull players out of cover and perform their own takedowns

I'm hesitant to see how this stuff works in mp. Other than that, everything else sounds great.

Would be great if they abandoned regen health, otherwise hard for me to get excited. I always felt like there was so much more they could do with their crazy enemies but regen health really limits what you can do there.

They should definitely include a difficulty level/modifier that makes it so you only regain your health back after a fight is actually over.

klaushm

Misread the thread. I've read God of War 4.
Realized my mistake when read 2 player couch co-op.

Still good news.

They should definitely include a difficulty level/modifier that makes it so you only regain your health back after a fight is actually over.

Honestly just having medkits you can carry like potions in an rpg would go a long way. Would have to really rebalance MP with some of those changes in mind but either way imo would be for the better. Half the reason the shot gun is so strong is because regen health makes it such an all or nothing affair, landing some stray shots on a guy basically means nothing.

all this dynamic weather crap better be kept away from multiplayer. not sure how i feel about a shoulder charge or pulling enemies out of cover, fine for campgain but multiplayer i dont know.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Errrrrrrrrrr "shooting against the wind means the bullets come back to you"?? How is that relevant, it's not like they will pick up enough speed to do any damage. Unless it's just a thing that looks cool.

Errrrrrrrrrr "shooting against the wind means the bullets come back to you"?? How is that relevant, it's not like they will pick up enough speed to do any damage. Unless it's just a thing that looks cool.

Why are you assuming the wind is a realistic thing in a world where they have a weather condition called razor hail lol.

Honestly just having medkits you can carry like potions in an rpg would go a long way. Would have to really rebalance MP with some of those changes in mind but either way imo would be for the better. Half the reason the shot gun is so strong is because regen health makes it such an all or nothing affair, landing some stray shots on a guy basically means nothing.

I don't think Gears multiplayer would honestly work without regen health. I mean there could be a mode with it and that would be neat but regen health is part of what keeps Gears from becoming a camp fest.

The weather probably relates to this

"-New weapons like "construction based" tools repurposed for combat"

Can you see a nail flipping back at you if you shoot it during gale force winds?

Meaning they won't hit your enemies. The article also mentions they can come back and hit you. I'm not sure if that means doing damage or not.

All of it sounds awesome although I'm confused as to why they are diving deep on the campaign and not the multiplayer... the beta is due soon, I was expecting (and hoping) for news on that and horde before I thought they'd go hard on the campaign...

MauroNL

Be sure to check out the full cover story with more info and some great gameplay screenshots: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/03/08/april-cover-revealed-gears-of-war-4.aspx

-Humanity has become an endangered species huddled in walled cities seeking shelter from devastating wind storms (as a result of the bomb & intense war aftermath)
-Category 4 windstorms have you just trying to survive, super violent, dodging lightning strikes, etc
-Think of the wind when fighting: Putting the wind behind could help projectile travel, but fighting directly against the wind could throw bullets back at you
-Enemies also affected by the weather (which you could exploit and use strategically)
-Heavy inspiration on the setting from Northern Italy (forests, forts, etc)
-Want to get back to the "intimacy" and "boogeyman" feeling of the original Gears
-After the war, too many Locust to bury so many were tossed into mass graves (our trio believe this new threat may be linked)
-Wanted to revamp the cover system; can more easily mantle kick over any piece of cover & perform knife kills
-Can also perform a short distance shoulder charge, knocking enemies off balance
-Enemies can also pull players out of cover and perform their own takedowns
-Implementing dynamic cover (for example shooting enemy pods from ceilings in an otherwise open area)
These all sound really, really good. I can't wait.

-Big emphasis on multiplayer, saying original Gears development was 90% SP, 10% MP
-Want to meet needs of recreational players and esports players

-Acknowledges love for horde mode and promises fans won't be disappointed
Ugh. I hope they at least make a decent SP with at least 8 hours length.

Kayant

I'm hesitant to see how this stuff works in mp. Other than that, everything else sounds great.

Yep mantle kick was so and so in gears 3. Worked sometimes but mostly don't work well at least for me. Hopefully with dedicated servers that might help things.

I don't think Gears multiplayer would honestly work without regen health. I mean there could be a mode with it and that would be neat but regen health is part of what keeps Gears from becoming a camp fest.

That seems like a really strange conclusion to reach when regenerating health basically keeps both parties safe as long as they camp. If there's a timer counting down the match's time, once a team gets a kill they're in a good position to camp and if there is no timer it's stale mate city and at that point it's just down to who isn't feeling patient.

A shooter's "campiness" is imo driven far more by the actual objectives in the match than anything else.

exactly. stop trying to make gears into tlou, the best thing about gears is the fast pace multiplayer, how the hell is medic packs going to work in that? stupid idea

Regen health does not exactly make something fast paced. You're making assumptions about how regaining health would even work and also like I said, the speed of the match is determined far more by objective and map design.

pizzacat

Banned
No regen health and stopping power and dmg of most rifles would lead to them finally stopping the gnasher from being toppest of tiers

I was really underwhelmed by the reveal of the game but that bullet point list sounds pretty great. Getting cautiously optimistic.

I was really underwhelmed by the reveal of the game but that bullet point list sounds pretty great. Getting cautiously optimistic.

^I can agree on everything said here. That reveal didn't do anything for me at all.
Hopefully we get a video this week or something this month that details more about the beta.

Pif

Banned
So afterall wis this coming to PC or...?

You really don't know these days what's left exclusive.

No regen health and stopping power and dmg of most rifles would lead to them finally stopping the gnasher from being toppest of tiers

Pretty much.

It hurts SP far more though, like in order for enemies to really matter they have to do a lot of damage, otherwise you can pretty easily just kinda run around doing w/e. The massive trade off there is by the time you get to more dangerous enemies you barely feel a difference. Like am I supposed to be all that scared of something with a boom shot when enemies I fought at the beginning of the game could already kill me in like half a second?

You've never played a fast paced game with health pickups?

Doom and Quake don't exist. Rounds in Counter Strike last minutes at most but hey one side is defending so it's a "campfest" lol.

Warxard

Banned
You've never played a fast paced game with health pickups?

the idea of health as a pickup doesn't work in the context of Gears though. Easy to get into a firefight as it is to get out. As of Gears 3 the means of evading being downed by fire has a variety of options be it simply hiding behind cover, or shuffling through walls and mantles to get away from an enemy. It goes completely against the antethesis of 'take cover or die' when you add the ability to heal in the game.

Yet another facet as to why Stim Grenades in Judgment sucks, and why Judgment sucks altogether. Having healing stapled as a contextual ability instead of it being regenerative fucks with the pacing of multiplayer.

I really hope it is only 2 player co op across the board, and not 3 with the 3 characters online. My group of friends is 4 people, so one of us will be getting kicked to the curb if its 3.

Top Bottom