• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 - In depth details (Game Informer)

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
-Humanity has become an endangered species huddled in walled cities seeking shelter from devastating wind storms (as a result of the bomb & intense war aftermath)

I really hope the whole game has that in mind and it's not just some backstory that the game's setting doesn't really reflect.

nOoblet16

In most of the old school shooters with health pick ups you can move at like 4x the speed you do in Gears.

And none of those old school shooters you are thinking about are TPS. Gears is inherently different from Unreal Tournament.

As it stands Gears is the fastest TPS as far as competitive TPS go, but the game design makes health pickup a bad idea. Mainly cause unlike UT, you cannot escape easily once you engage someone in Gears since you character doesn't have the manoeuvrability of a game like UT where you could move backwards, sideways and diagonally at (or at almost) the same speed as the speed at which you move forward.

Gears shotgun game is so strong because that is the most common playstyle among several playstyles, you can very well play the game and be a beast in it without touching the shotgun or ever being good at wall bounce/slide cancel combo if you want to, simply by focusing your game around power weapons. This is especially true in case of Gears 2 and Gears 3 where power weapons are even more powerful and your primary is absolutely devastating if used correctly. I say this as a slow player who is below average with shotguns, doesn't wall bounce/slide cancel much but still manage top score since I can use pretty much any pickup weapon effectively.

Chobel

-4 categories of weather in the game: Start out as heavy breeze (trees, leaves, dust kicking up) and grow into violent category 3 windstorms that can affect combat and weapon usage
-Category 4 windstorms have you just trying to survive, super violent, dodging lightning strikes, etc
-Think of the wind when fighting: Putting the wind behind could help projectile travel, but fighting directly against the wind could throw bullets back at you
-Enemies also affected by the weather (which you could exploit and use strategically)

And I'm
best_animated_images_car_jump_in.gif

Now just please confirm PC version

I hope the tone in this isn't too serious. I feel like quite a bit of revisionist history has gone on in recent years about the original Gears being 'dark horror' or whatever. It was slightly less dumb and goofy than it's sequels but it was still dumb and goofy.

Which I absolutely love. I want my characters shouting one liners and making stupid jokes. Gears combat dialogue is the absolute best.

SCRATCH ONE GRUB
BACK IN YOUR HOLE
NOTHING BUT BITS

It wasn't a horror but it felt far more intimate and had more horror type themes. Just because there was some corny fun dialogue doesn't change that.

The setting was dark and you often couldn't see far in front of you. The music and the sounds played straight into that as well. There were spots like inside the reactor (or whatever it was in the first game) set up almost specifically to feel like a horror game. The gruesome deaths whilst way over the top certainly added to this as well. There are plenty of other things as well.

The atmosphere was basically a mix between resident evil 4 and pitch black. Now I don't expect gears 4 to be a horror game but I'd like it have a slightly closer feel to the original game.

And none of those old school shooters you are thinking about are TPS. Gears is inherently different from Unreal Tournament.

As it stands Gears is the fastest TPS as far as competitive TPS go, but the game design makes health pickup a bad idea. Mainly cause unlike UT, you cannot escape easily once you engage someone in Gears since you character doesn't have the manoeuvrability of a game like UT where you could move backwards, sideways and diagonally at (or at almost) the same speed as the speed at which you move forward.

The quote I was responding to in that post was saying health pick ups wouldn't work out specifically because you can easily get in and out of fire fights so uh, thanks for proving my point I guess?

Ushay

This sounds amazing. After playing the Ultimate Edition, I am so, so hyped for this now.

Before that I was.. Meh.

As of Gears 3 there's more that can be done with the core balancing of the game that isn't just focused entirely on the Gnasher. If you want that, play UE
gears 3 is my fav, its the perfect balance between rifle and gnasher.
Man you aren't even trying lol. I did not say the shotgun shouldn't be powerful at close range and on top of that you're just getting into a really subjective argument that the game must be about shotgun duels or it's just another tps because reasons.
''Half the reason the shot gun is so strong is because regen health makes it such an all or nothing affair''
u bought shotguns into it not me. shot gun battles are supposed to be all or nothing affairs.
no point even discussing this crap idea anyway because no way rod sabotages his baby by putting medpacks in lmao

Considering the success of Gears skins in the competitive scene, it's wholly likely to see The Coalition adopt 343's REQ system for Horde mode / PvE.

It's not a bad thing.

In my opinion It's a bad thing if it's RNG slot machine system like Halo 5s. Having it be something like Halo Reachs would be great, I don't want to have to gamble with 1/100k odds just to get a skin I want, makes it feel like you're no longer working towards something and are instead working maybe have half a chance to get something you may or may not want.

All the new stuff is sounding awesome. Looks like the new enemy could turn out really interesting. I did really like how the Pouncer looked in the E3 demo. That beast was fierce. If the full game looks like the E3 demo and at 60fps, that would be very impressive but I hope they go for 30fps and truly let UE4 shine on this bad boy.

Considering the success of Gears skins in the competitive scene, it's wholly likely to see The Coalition adopt 343's REQ system for Horde mode / PvE.

It's not a bad thing.
I wouldn't mind it in co-op, but I would in PvP and mixed PvP/PvE modes. I think tying that kind of microtransaction stuff to PvP is part of the psychology of getting those items to sell better, but they're are a more natural fit for co-op.

Pretty sure if there was wind strong enough to reverse the trajectory of a bullet back into my face, that same wind would have torn me apart long before I managed to take a shot.

Warxard

Banned
In my opinion It's a bad thing if it's RNG slot machine system like Halo 5s. Having it be something like Halo Reachs would be great, I don't want to have to gamble with 1/100k odds just to get a skin I want, makes it feel like you're no longer working towards something and are instead working for a chance to maybe have half a chance to get something you may or may not want.

So as long as they give the option to sell the shit you don't want lik with H5's REQ system, I'll be fine. It's easy enough to make back what you spend with all of the shit that're in the packs.

Gears is known for having a lot of cool unlockables too, so of course there will be something for that audience too!

So as long as they give the option to sell the shit you don't want lik with H5's REQ system, I'll be fine. It's easy enough to make back what you spend with all of the shit that're in the packs.

Gears is known for having a lot of cool unlockables too, so of course there will be something for that audience too!

I can see it working, but only as long as the Skins/characters/armor/whatever you're unlocking actually have good designs. Part of the reason I hate Halo 5 not having Reachs system is because there are only like 6 good looking armors in that whole game. Gears would be able to avoid that pretty easily since they already have a huge staple of good character designs.

25 years after Gears 3 and Marcus' son is a main character... Does that mean Marcus is dead or will we get to see old fart Marcus?

"GET OFF MY LAWN, GRUB!"
Please no, let him rest, or if they really have to show him show him die peacefully in bed or something.

bumpkin

25 years after Gears 3 and Marcus' son is a main character... Does that mean Marcus is dead or will we get to see old fart Marcus?

"GET OFF MY LAWN, GRUB!"

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Nice details from GI (amazing how they get still get these megaton exclusives being a Print publication -- I love it), can't wait for the game.

But I seriously can't help but wonder when this game will really come out. Seriously doubting this year, Rod Ferguson even said in that video "We know exactly what we want to do, now we just have to do it", which to me implies things are going well but development is still fairly early, especially considering how good this needs to be.

Anyone else get that vibe?

papo

All of this sounds awesome and that weather mechanic has really got me interested. this sounded a bit skeptical at first, but now it is sounding good.

krang

I wouldn't mind it in co-op, but I would in PvP and mixed PvP/PvE modes. I think tying that kind of microtransaction stuff to PvP is part of the psychology of getting those items to sell better, but they're are a more natural fit for co-op.

I think it's highly unlikely you won't see it in Horde.

Chobel

Chobel, brah, its time for you to jump ahead and buy the Xbox One All-In-One Entertainment system from Microsoft for only $349.99

Make sure you get a Kinect too

Can't my Windows 10 PC be my All-In-One Entertainment system from Microsoft?

And I'm not your brah, bruh.

BruceCLea

Banned
All the new stuff is sounding awesome. Looks like the new enemy could turn out really interesting. I did really like how the Pouncer looked in the E3 demo. That beast was fierce. If the full game looks like the E3 demo and at 60fps, that would be very impressive but I hope they go for 30fps and truly let UE4 shine on this bad boy.

The local co op makes 60 fps seem highly improbable for SP. Maybe just MP

Only positive news from Xbox so far in 2016.

If they play it right and with the setting, it could be a pretty good horror game. Imagine shining your torch through the brush and seeing some fast moving grunt that decides to toy with you.

Noises from all sides, throwing shit at you, etc. Could be great.

Moofers

REQ packs are garbage and would ruin Horde like the changes in Survival (Judgment) did. Ive been holding off on an Xbox One until Gears 4 hits and if REQ packs are in Horde, Im fuckin OUT.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
That all sounds great, I usually save one game for Christmas each year and it looks like this time it will be Gears (unless TLG makes it out).

Trup1aya

Sounds great. At least one MS dev doesn't need to be reminded for two games straight that people love horde modes -cough 343 cough-

I was never Huge on GoW MP, because it felt tacked on. I'm glad to see its getting a ton of attention this time around.

Top Bottom