• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 - In depth details (Game Informer)

Whenever I hear of the name JD, can't help but think of Scrubs.

giphy.gif

Looking like a great game though, hopefully it'll be fun on the PC.

SOR5

Sounds and looks like Gears of War with the expected added gameplay elements, not a whole reinvention of a classic like Halo 4 was.

Good
Dont want to see any conspicuous diagrams with Marcus in a wheelchair

You can do this Coalition

bede-x

Yes! Couch coop is exactly what I want from a game like Gears. Hopefully it'll make its way back into Halo again.

krang

Good
Dont want to see any conspicuous diagrams with Marcus in a wheelchair

Off-piste, but I think it would be great to have a playable Gears character who needed a wheelchair. Like a wounded veteran of the last war, maybe.

I was just trying to work out what it was putting you off doing. That was the first thing that sprang to mind.

So not Jack Nicholson's face creates nightmares? Especially with a slow pan and a psychotic killer grin with the head bobbing? The man is horrifying at times, as in that gif. I can't even get the expression out of my mind now!

SOR5

Off-piste, but I think it would be great to have a playable Gears character who needed a wheelchair. Like a wounded veteran of the last war, maybe.

Already got some concept art

gupTqvb.png

Yes! Couch coop is exactly what I want from a game like Gears. Hopefully it'll make its way back into Halo again.

Looks like they are nailing that GoW 1 ambience as well, really looks good so far

chriskun

I really hope they remove wall bouncing. Mp in gears 2 and 3 was so much worse than 1's with the rise of wallbouncing. Game became way less about strategy and way more about who could wiggle around the fastest.

bede-x

Looks like they are nailing that GoW 1 ambience as well, really looks good so far

Yep, and those windflares sound like they could be an interesting way to mix up the individual encounters, not to mention being great setpieces if implemented properly. It was one of the better features of the recent Mad Max (sandstorms in that) and could be here as well.

This is coming to Windows 10 as well, yes? As a PC-only gamer, of all the XB1 exclusives, this is the one I'm really looking forward to playing on W10.

Why is it now, that every Xbox topic is about people port begging a game for PC?

Let the console have some must haves too.

I dont see Gears 4 this year for PC. Maybe some time after Xbox release.

SOR5

Why is it now, that every Xbox topic is about people port begging a game for PC?

Let the console have some must haves too.

I dont see Gears 4 this year for PC. Maybe some time after Xbox release.

Genuinely wouldnt mind it becoming a W10 title as well

More players, bigger ecosystem, find a way to keep the crossplay fair and make sure its works competently and I think its great

I hope they do map packs are outdated imo req is the way to go.

Reqs are not the way to go. Of course if you release a very unfinished game that lacks gametypes etc that existed 10 years ago then it must be fine.
And the free maps so far for H5 are awful, nothing to be happy about.

I rather pay for a Quality DLC Pack that contains 3-4 Maps.

Genuinely wouldnt mind it becoming a W10 title as well

More players, bigger ecosystem, find a way to keep the crossplay fair and make sure its works competently and I think its great

You mean less players on Xbox. This "everything for PC" isnt good for the Console. Especially MP titles.

Crossplay is never going to work with such games like Gears or Halo.

Reqs are not the way to go. Of course if you release a very unfinished game that lacks gametypes etc that existed 10 years ago then it must be fine.

I rather pay for a Quality DLC Pack that contains 3-4 Maps.

This so much! I thought free DLC meant good quality maps, instead halo 5 has been bogged down by countless uninspired, bland and poorly flowing remixes. They all involve either some kind of bridge like structure down the middle and having the map built around that, or an outer ring of hallways that goes in a loop. The REQ system leaves way too much to be desired, as its basically a slot machine should be collected through hardwork like cameos, armors, weapon variant etc. You get the the REQ points, you spin the wheel and then wait to see what you get.

Quality DLC maps are gladly welcomed for Gears of War 4, and I hope we get a good number of them. For now though fully expect some kind of REQ system in gears however unless Microsoft confirms otherwise.

krang

Are you sure that's a thread you want to pull at? Because my irony alarm is about to explode.

SOR5

You mean less players on Xbox. This "everything for PC" isnt good for the Console. Especially MP titles.

Are you sure? (Not asking this to be condescending or anything by the way) People still bought OG Xboxes for Halo and there was clearly a PC version, people buy PS4's and Xbones just to play the latest CoD or FIFA game without any sort of attention paid to the PC.

oti

Banned
Man this gif is off putting!

Just like Gear's general art design then heyoooooooooooooooo.

Nuh,
almost
kidding. I hope the horde mode is good in this. Though I'm afraid I couldn't get three others to play this with me online. Maybe if they release it on PC as well and feature cross-play. But even then it could be kinda difficult. Xbox or Win10 Store are not that popular in my bubble. Anyway, I hope they make a kick-ass horde mode and the story could be fun too.

Scans tend to make games look even better than a video, but I am sure it's going to look great. It's hard to say, but with these graphics I really don't expect 60fps in the campaign. If they do manage that, that would be very impressive.

Locust may be gone but you can really see the Locust influences in these creatures. I wonder if they talk as well.

The good thing about gears is that it isn't a multimedia experiment, so far there is no TV series, movies, etc; so I can expect the campaign to have a proper pacing and character development.

KingT

Neo Member
Big fan of GeOW and this game is on my radar I might buy an Xbox One just to play this game.
If it doesn't get release on PC

derFeef

Thanks for the writeup, sounds really great. I hope we get a new trailer or gameplay soon!
I guess full demo at E3?

drigosr

Thanks for the writeup, sounds really great. I hope we get a new trailer or gameplay soon!
I guess full demo at E3?

I bet that we will only see a new gameplay video on E3

I also bet that the BETA will be available on the same day of Microsoft's Briefing on E3, just like happened with Ultimate Edition, last year.

I bet that we will only see a new gameplay video on E3

I also bet that the BETA will be available on the same day of Microsoft's Briefing on E3, just like happened with Ultimate Edition, last year.

I hope not. Ideally they'll take the Halo 5 approach, and do the beta well in advance so that there can be lots of public and competitive feedback, and ample time to negotiate and implement changes. Plus, the Beta's meant to be in Spring. American Summer starts June, and E3's in early June.

leeh

Sounds great. Can't wait. My most anticipated release.

I've seen the Gnasher on the screens, and no trace of a sawn-off. Halle-fucking-lujah.

Nibel

Monster design is fantastic and the new guns look great as well.

Despite being kinda letdown by the human designs this might be the MS exclusive I'm the most interested in

Top Bottom