• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 - In depth details (Game Informer)

Kssio_Aug

Sounds great, maybe The Coalition will be redeemed after the poor remaster of Gears of War.

?? They will be redeemed by an pretty nice work you mean? There's nothing poor about their remaster, at least not in XB1. I haven't played the PC version.

By the way, the infos and screens looks amazing!!

PnCIa

?? They will be redeemed by an pretty nice work you mean? There's nothing poor about their remaster, at least not in XB1. I haven't played the PC version.

By the way, the infos and screens looks amazing!!
I am pretty sure this is about the PC version.

Sounds great, was wondering how they could follow up after the ending in 3 and it sounds as if they've come up with a good angle, with the Mankind creates its own worst enemy approach. 3 was the best overall, but the original definitely had the best vibe and antagonist in Raam.

Zeta Oni

My guess is:

Mass graves of locusts and lambent infected lead to the development of a new species due to the all the biological mixing going on at these sites.

COG is interested in keeping it hush hush, as the panic from a new race of locust-like enemies would hurt humanity even more than its already hurt.

Also, has to be something going with the COG to make JD walk away, I'd imagine that its either as simple as the aforementioned "lying about the new locust things", or something a bit more sinister. CoG experimenting on civilians in order to develop a stronger race of humans? Possibly. Maybe they have some locust still, that managed to survive and are being used like the ones in the Lab from 2?

So many possibilities...

Fuck YES. HYYYYYYPE. Can't fucking wait for the MP blowout now.

So, the campaign kicks off with these three going into the forest wondering why they weren't kidnapped as well? Since, 2P splitscreen co-op is already confirmed, 4P online co-op is just left for confirmation now with the fourth character. JD being Marcus' son his name must be J. Dominic Fenix as a homage to Dom. So this 4th character, a descendant of the Carmines, maybe? As we've had the brothers till C, 'D'amian Carmine gets my vote.

Also, sensing a scenario vibe here that halfway through the campaign (Act II of the de facto V Acts) that all these kids get captured by the "Swarm"/"Juvies" and the Old Men Delta squad comes in to extract them killing off the grubs. Don't think the oldies like Hoffman, Bernie or even Dizzy would be playable in this game as they'll be in their whellchairs in the timeline, lol. Maybe their GeOW 3 avatars for MP.

Genuinely wouldnt mind it becoming a W10 title as well

More players, bigger ecosystem, find a way to keep the crossplay fair and make sure its works competently and I think its great

Dunno about portbegging rules, the GAF staff are the best people to comment on this for you but crossplay in shooters? No. A definite, resounding NO.

Fighting games? Yes. No hardware advantage on either side and doesn't let the PC demographic stranded after a month or two the game releases as the console populace is bigger by "at least" a tenfold in the genre and the PC market in the genre is in it's infancy and growing. Good for PC gamers and doesn't hurt anyone.

RTS? Sure. Really popular genre on PC and the Xbox version can hold on its own because its Halo Wars. Hardware advantages on KB/M? Yes, but manageable by Xbox players on a controller.

Arena shooters? Hell, NO. Even though Gears and Halo are tailormade with the Xbox controller in mind, arena shooters have the highest skill ceiling of all shooter sub-genre's, be it first or third person. And they've been in bed with PC gaming at least a decade before consoles. There's a reason Doom/Quake/Unreal's legacy lives up till this day. Pair up a controller demographic with the folks with a trash KB/M setup and even a novice player who hasn't played a shooter in his/her life before, the controller playerbase is gonna get creamed on like there's no tomorrow. You can even manage a game like CoD on a controller against KB/M players but not arena shooters. The hardware advantage is just way too much.

What you said is the equivalent of "make sure the Xbox One version of ***** multiplat game's visual fidelity and performance competitive/as fast as a quad-sli Titan-X + a hexacore E series intel chip setup at ultra, and I think it's great". It's almost satirical.

drigosr

I hope not. Ideally they'll take the Halo 5 approach, and do the beta well in advance so that there can be lots of public and competitive feedback, and ample time to negotiate and implement changes. Plus, the Beta's meant to be in Spring. American Summer starts June, and E3's in early June.

Didn't know they intend to bring the beta in Spring. That's pretty cool because we'realmost there then.

pizzacat

Banned
For people looking at it, that first pic looks like a mutated grenadier elite with a tribal dress so are Savage Variants still out there?

latest

I always felt like their savage Marauder design was leading into something else, something like this. I've never seen he regular marauder design, might be the guys who control turrets with the dot helmet

latest

Also the savage Hunter never really looked like the hunter either

latest

mcrommert

Banned
Fuck YES. HYYYYYYPE. Can't fucking wait for the MP blowout now.

So, the campaign kicks off with these three going into the forest wondering why they weren't kidnapped as well? Since, 2P splitscreen co-op is already confirmed, 4P online co-op is just left for confirmation now with the fourth character. JD being Marcus' son his name must be J. Dominic Fenix as a homage to Dom. So this 4th character, a descendant of the Carmines, maybe? As we've had the brothers till C, 'D'amian Carmine gets my vote.

Also, sensing a scenario vibe here that halfway through the campaign (Act II of the de facto V Acts) that all these kids get captured by the "Swarm"/"Juvies" and the Old Men Delta squad comes in to extract them killing off the grubs. Don't think the oldies like Hoffman, Bernie or even Dizzy would be playable in this game as they'll be in their whellchairs in the timeline, lol. Maybe their GeOW 3 avatars for MP.

Dunno about portbegging rules, the GAF staff are the best people to comment on this for you but crossplay in shooters? No. A definite, resounding NO.

Fighting games? Yes. No hardware advantage on either side and doesn't let the PC demographic stranded after a month or two the game releases as the console populace is bigger by "at least" a tenfold in the genre and the PC market in the genre is in it's infancy and growing. Good for PC gamers and doesn't hurt anyone.

RTS? Sure. Really popular genre on PC and the Xbox version can hold on its own because its Halo Wars. Hardware advantages on KB/M? Yes, but manageable by Xbox players on a controller.

Arena shooters? Hell, NO. Even though Gears and Halo are tailormade with the Xbox controller in mind, arena shooters have the highest skill ceiling of all shooter sub-genre's, be it first or third person. And they've been in bed with PC gaming at least a decade before consoles. There's a reason Doom/Quake/Unreal's legacy lives up till this day. Pair up a controller demographic with the folks with a trash KB/M setup and even a novice player who hasn't played a shooter in his/her life before, the controller playerbase is gonna get creamed on like there's no tomorrow. You can even manage a game like CoD on a controller against KB/M players but not arena shooters. The hardware advantage is just way too much.

What you said is the equivalent of "make sure the Xbox One version of ***** multiplat game's visual fidelity and performance competitive/as fast as a quad-sli Titan-X + a hexacore E series intel chip setup at ultra, and I think it's great". It's almost satirical.

They just have to have a checkbox if you are willing to play against user using a mouse...also pc players could play with controller and play with console users...Microsoft is also adding mouse support to xbox so you could play mouse on xbox

Embrace the paradigm shift

Very pumped for this game. Probably (after Quantum Break) the Xbox One title I'm looking forward to the most in 2016.

Played all of the Gears games in a span of 1.5 weeks with friends when MS slowly launched them via BC and they were fucking awesome.

The remaster was solid, Gears 2 and 3 more than held up. Judgement although different was also fun.

One of my favorite features of both 3 and Judgement was the 4 player co-op. I hope The Coaltion keeps this for Gears 4

Why do people hate the Sawed-Off so much? I mean it was devastating, but it had zero range. The Gnasher can tag you from a really good distance.

Never understood the hate for that gun, it added more variety to the guns.

For multiplayer I need
-the locusts or new monsters to be playable. Human vs. Human was lame in Judgment.
-Executions. They were so fun and varied in Gears 3. A small but totally Gears addition. On top of that DBNO is necessary but we all know that, right?
-Modes with last man standing endings give me life. No one likes a TDM that just ends.
-to keep the new weapons from Judgment. I liked the bolt action rifle. Also bring the digger back. It's like a more skill based, less lame Boomshot.
-Verticality wasn't bad in Judgment but the maps weren't designed that well. At least not compared to the godlike Gears 3 maps.
-More than four maps

I'm just looking for a return to form. I think these guys know what works and what doesn't after working on Gears 1. But Gears 1 isn't everything and there are plenty of changes made to later Gears, especially Gears 3, that shouldn't be discarded. In fact there's more from Gears 1 that should be gotten rid of and I think Gears 3 is a better base to work from when making alterations to the formula.

Why do people hate the Sawed-Off so much? I mean it was devastating, but it had zero range. The Gnasher can tag you from a really good distance.

Rewarded camping but people also didn't play around it. They only have one shot to get you so, sure you might get tagged once in awhile, but just shoot them from more than half an inch away and you win.

mcrommert

Banned
For multiplayer I need
-the locusts or new monsters to be playable. Human vs. Human was lame in Judgment.
-Executions. They were so fun and varied in Gears 3. A small but totally Gears addition. On top of that DBNO is necessary but we all know that, right?
-Modes with last man standing endings give me life. No one likes a TDM that just ends.
-to keep the new weapons from Judgment. I liked the bolt action rifle. Also bring the digger back. It's like a more skill based, less lame Boomshot.
-Verticality wasn't bad in Judgment but the maps weren't designed that well. At least not compared to the godlike Gears 3 maps.
-More than four maps

I'm just looking for a return to form. I think these guys know what works and what doesn't after working on Gears 1. But Gears 1 isn't everything and there are plenty of changes made to later Gears, especially Gears 3, that shouldn't be discarded. In fact there's more from Gears 1 that should be gotten rid of and I think Gears 3 is a better base to work from when making alterations to the formula.

I feel the same...but i'm worried based off the fact that their first multiplayer foray into gears on xbox was gears 1 (albeit with changes but still)

Gears 3 is the game that should have been their starting point on the multiplayer side

Looks sick. I really want to see some more gameplay of this, could use a new Gears in my life.

And props to the Coalition for introducing the Ripper (UT baby) to Gears of War.

Ballistik

Because it feels cheap. When I get killed by it, it irritates me because I can't say that it was a nice kill or I was somehow outplayed. Yes most of the time you can spot them from a distance and lancer them down or something, but other times it's them hiding and then rush out and shoot. If it was a gnasher it would be different, as I can avoid those shots. All other guns require some form of aiming. Make it pick-up and then I can live with it.

Two piece (Melee and then shoot) is also cheap because again, it doesn't take any effort. Although this was mostly fixed in Gears 3, I'm reminded about how frustrating it is in Ultimate Edition.

Grisby

Can't wait to main Kait for MP. I wonder if they'll give some alt outfits like GOW3? Also, if they're going to do a card pack thing (I'm basing this off of Halo and TR, just can't shake the feeling that they might have it) then I hope it's limited to weapon skins.

Wonder if they'll add RPG like skills to Horde instead of just upgrading defenses.

Also, what's the equivalent going to be for the locust side in MP? I guess the Swarm although we haven't really seen any bipedal enemies yet. Sounds like they'll be the juvies mentioned in the OP.

Trup1aya

Reqs are not the way to go. Of course if you release a very unfinished game that lacks gametypes etc that existed 10 years ago then it must be fine.
And the free maps so far for H5 are awful, nothing to be happy about.

I rather pay for a Quality DLC Pack that contains 3-4 Maps.

You mean less players on Xbox. This "everything for PC" isnt good for the Console. Especially MP titles.

Crossplay is never going to work with such games like Gears or Halo.

The method for funding map packs has nothing to do with the quality of the end product. The Halo 5 DLC maps are bad, because 343i made bad maps, not because of the Req system.

they could have released these maps all at once, as paid DLC and they would still be bad. And we'd have to deal with a fragmented playerbase as further insult.

the best way to do it would be to have a Req-like system funding quality content. Devs have a constant revenue stream to justify new content. And the playerbase stays together.

Also cross-play could work with any game. For shooters, just allow people to choose to only match against controller users.

Game Informer just put up their 105 rapid fire questions with Rod Fergusson.

I found it informative and entertaining, recommend giving it a watch.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...estions-and-answers-about-gears-of-war-4.aspx

A few highlights:
-Campaign: 1080p/30
-Multiplayer: 1080p/60
-Length: Possibly longer than Gears 1 on normal difficulty
-Potential for a PC version

Loved it. There's a lot of interesting tidbits in there. It's well worth a watch.

Game Informer just put up their 105 rapid fire questions with Rod Fergusson.

I found it informative and entertaining, recommend giving it a watch.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...estions-and-answers-about-gears-of-war-4.aspx

A few highlights:
-Campaign: 1080p/30
-Multiplayer: 1080p/60
-Length: Possibly longer than Gears 1 on normal difficulty
-Potential for a PC version

Gears 1 was pretty short. Would hope for something more definitive than "possibly".

Rewarded camping but people also didn't play around it. They only have one shot to get you so, sure you might get tagged once in awhile, but just shoot them from more than half an inch away and you win.

Because it feels cheap. When I get killed by it, it irritates me because I can't say that it was a nice kill or I was somehow outplayed. Yes most of the time you can spot them from a distance and lancer them down or something, but other times it's them hiding and then rush out and shoot. If it was a gnasher it would be different, as I can avoid those shots. All other guns require some form of aiming. Make it pick-up and then I can live with it.

Two piece (Melee and then shoot) is also cheap because again, it doesn't take any effort. Although this was mostly fixed in Gears 3, I'm reminded about how frustrating it is in Ultimate Edition.

Yeah, camping with the Sawed-Off was annoying, but getting double kills with it was pure sex.

SOR5

I'm not portbegging, I own an XB1 and will have access to Gears 4

I just believe if there is a way to tweak the matchmaking depending on what input device the player has, put in a failsafe so people don't find a way around it and leave people to do what they want with Co-Op/Custom Games then crossplay could work.

25 years later in quite a jump. I thought Gears 3 brought the trilogy to a nice close but I'm excited to get back into that universe. I really liked the tone the E3 demo gave off and can't wait to see more of it.

Get it, SEE more. You know, cause people said it was too dark. As in, ah forget it.

For people looking at it, that first pic looks like a mutated grenadier elite with a tribal dress so are Savage Variants still out there?

latest

I always felt like their savage Marauder design was leading into something else, something like this. I've never seen he regular marauder design, might be the guys who control turrets with the dot helmet

latest

Also the savage Hunter never really looked like the hunter either

latest
That middle dude always looked like he had a croissant on his chest instead of a horn or whatever the fuck it was supposed to be

TissueBox

May The Coalition deliver. Potential is SMELLED here, and I haven't even finished fanning the gas my sister just passed out the window.

The environmental stuff seems very interesting, but this could turn out to be one of those great ideas on paper situations. Overall, they seem to be trying some pretty cool things and I especially appreciate them trying to recapture the horror atmosphere of the first Gears.

It definitely doesn't sound like a cynical cash grab, which I was slightly worried about. Wish these guys the best and hope this game is fantastic.

JimiNutz

Banned
What are people's feeling on the gun reticule?
Usually in Gears firing from the hip is 'blind' as there is no visible reticule unless you hold LT.
I always found that this led to inconsistencies. Sometimes I was sure I was aiming in the right direction but my shots would miss - especially with the Shotgun.

I think Judgement then introduced a reticule that was on the screen at all times (like it is in Star Wars Battlefront).

Which version do you prefer?

No reticule on screen certainly looks better but I think it's better for gameplay if the reticule is always there...

OrochiJR

We know it starts there but not much more. It'll be interesting to see how they pack all the usual battles into 24 hours. How do you pace that? How many locations can you cycle through in that time?

I recommend watching any season of 24 (especially season 2) to see how much shit can happen to one person in the span of 24 hours. ;)

tuna_love

Banned
What are people's feeling on the gun reticule?
Usually in Gears firing from the hip is 'blind' as there is no visible reticule unless you hold LT.
I always found that this led to inconsistencies. Sometimes I was sure I was aiming in the right direction but my shots would miss - especially with the Shotgun.

I think Judgement then introduced a reticule that was on the screen at all times (like it is in Star Wars Battlefront).

Which version do you prefer?

No reticule on screen certainly looks better but I think it's better for gameplay if the reticule is always there...
no reticule

Top Bottom