• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 NVIDIA Error Promo Keys From Amazon Mass Revoked

Soulflarz

Banned
Everyone who bought a key secondhand recently? Your key is probably dead, try to boot gears 4. If you bought it through reddit for $7, you're screwed. If you bought it through GAF who tried upcharging from reddit, ask them for a refund and now they're screwed. The only people who aren't are those who have buyer protection for the more expensive ones on ebay.

Kind of sucks all around- I wouldn't blame MS, as they probably didn't pull the keys- it's probably NVIDIA from amazon asking. I understand why they did it, but it's annoying that the average consumer is the one taking the hit.

See
Hi all

We detected some Gears 4 Windows 10 keys were obtained illegitimately via our NVIDIA promotion. We have gone ahead and revoked keys that fell in this bucket. If you believe your key was incorrectly revoked, we highly recommend you contact NVIDIA support with proof of purchase to help out with this.

:/

Awful situation, reminder to always pay for goods and services instead of F&F when in doubt.

Again, if you think your key was wrongly revoked, contact amazon.

oo7

This got me to purchase the Ultimate Edition through Best Buy. I sure showed them!

I bought it off someone here on gaf for $35 before I knew people were getting this in any "mistake" capacity, and yeah...its been revoked...what a bunch of shit. I hope he gets me a refund.

Soulflarz

Banned
I bought it off someone here on gaf for $35 before I knew people were getting this in any "mistake" capacity, and yeah...its been revoked...what a bunch of shit. I hope he gets me a refund.

If he doesn't, grab a mod. They don't moderate BST, but they do moderate against scammings.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Good way to piss off customers. When Fallout 4 had that pricing error they at least compensated with Microsoft bucks after they revoked

vg260

FYI:
If you bought on eBay and opened a refund request/or claim, and the seller then asks you to cancel the dispute, DO NOT cancel it. You need to keep it open or your forfeit your claim, and they keep your money.

They did what they had to do, but all this does is hurt the scammed buyers, not the thieves. Like I posted before, I bought my code for $45 the day the promotion started. I had zero reason to believe it wasn't a legit code the GPU buyer simply didn't want.

I got a refund, so my case is OK, but it isn't for others.

GHG

Gold Member
I almost bought one of these off a Gaffer for $15 but someone else got there just before me. Dodged a bullet I guess.

These will still be available for a more reasonable price of $30-$40 around the time of launch I reckon. The legitimate versions I mean.

They did what they had to do, but all this does is hurt the scammed buyers, not the thieves. Like I posted before, I bought my code for $45 the day the promotion started. I had zero reason to believe it wasn't a legit code the GPU buyer simply didn't want.

Yeah, same deal with me. I thought it was simply he bought a video card and didn't care to have the game. I didn't have a reason to think it would get revoked.

I hope he gets back to him, sent him a PM.

thuway

I almost bought one of these off a Gaffer for $15 but someone else got there just before me. Dodged a bullet I guess.

These will still be available for a more reasonable price of $30-$40 around the time of launch I reckon. The legitimate versions I mean.
I'll jump for this. Yall were playing with a loaded gun buying it like this. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

New002

Agreed. I hope most people used PayPal and goods and services.

LQX

Mine got revoked in the middle of downloading. Just vanished. Feels bad man. 60GB of wasted bandwidth.

The person I bought it from though gave me a prompt refund. Many lied about where they got them so I hope others get their refunds.

Bread

Banned
Just got this message from the ebay seller
"I'm very sorry about these issues you're having with your code. Can you cancel this dispute and then open another one? I will gladly refund you once you do that."

Is this a trick to get me to cancel my dispute

Soulflarz

Banned

Pls, I would have refunded you, I PM'd my guy a refund offer before they even got revoked :p

and yeah, just sucks because at $30 we're basically paying an extra 10-20 if we ate any fees, at which point we question why we did this at all.

"I'm very sorry about these issues you're having with your code. Can you cancel this dispute and then open another one? I will gladly refund you once you do that."

Yes.

FrsDvl

Tsk they better not tell me to download it all again when I buy it off of the Microsoft store.

Surprised they actually went through the trouble of revoking all the keys, though.

sensui-tomo

Do not cancel .

Jeremy

Yes.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.

Do not cancel that.

GHG

Gold Member
I'll jump for this. Yall were playing with a loaded gun buying it like this. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

Yep. The thing that sucks though is that people who got in for these early doors wouldn't have had a clue how these keys were obtained. It took about 24 hours for everyone to cotton on to what was really going on.

Pls, I would have refunded you, I PM'd my guy a refund offer before they even got revoked :p

and yeah, just sucks because at $30 we're basically paying an extra 10-20 if we ate any fees, at which point we question why we did this at all.

Yes.

Well that's nice to know. You're clearly a decent person but not everyone will have been so lucky to buy from someone like you.

Soulflarz

Banned
Tsk they better not tell me to download it all again when I buy it off of the Microsoft store.

Surprised they actually went through the trouble of revoking all the keys, though.

It's still downloaded.

And not really, thousands of keys moved. That's a lot of money.

Yep. The thing that sucks though is that people who got in for these early doors wouldn't have had a clue how these keys were obtained. It took about 24 hours for everyone to cotton on to what was really going on.

Even as we sold the $7 keys from reddit, we didn't know what the keys were from, else none of us would have paid for our keys even.

vg260

I used the same seller, and got the same message.

DO NOT Cancel the request.

Darkangel

My eBay guy gave me a full refund before I even realized the game was gone from my library.

Could have been worse.

All of us who bought codes:

diplomatic-immunity-o.gif

MS/Coalition:

vJ1Q4D.gif

real shitty situation though

GHG

Gold Member
It's still downloaded.

And not really, thousands of keys moved. That's a lot of money.

Even as we sold the $7 keys from reddit, we didn't know what the keys were from, else none of us would have paid for our keys even.

Yeh I know. It didn't come to light until a few hours after we were communicating via PM.

Microsoft really shouldn't have done this, it just comes off as petty. I'm less inclined to buy it since they think they can just revoke purchases like that. I had no idea my code was bad, and now I gotta do extra leg work because they made a mistake.

R3TRODYCE

Glad I got it on EBay. The game doesn't look 60 bucks good so I guess I won't be playing this around launch.

Wow, this sounds like a clusterfuck. I'm glad I was late to that "party." Wishing you all good luck in getting refunds, though!

Microsoft really shouldn't have done this, it just comes off as petty. I'm less inclined to buy it since they think they can just revoke purchases like that. I had no idea my code was bad, and now I gotta do extra leg work because they made a mistake.

This was literally not Microsoft's fault

This was literally not Microsoft's fault

Maybe not directly, but I mean, it was one of their retail partner's that made the mistake. Make them pay for it, I don't know...Just seems like a game they expect to sell millions wouldn't been hurt by letting the few thousand people who got it just keep it. They had to have known there would be innocent victims like us.

Rocketz

Explain to me how they are to blame since most of these codes came from the Amazon glitch.

I should know better than to think Microsoft gives a fuck about customers. I bought a scammed key without knowing what it was at the time.

I might just return this Bone S that I got from the Target deal. Fuck you, MS.

Don Lapre

Maybe not directly, but I mean, it was one of their retail partner's that made the mistake. Make them pay for it, I don't know...Just seems like a game they expect to sell millions wouldn't been hurt by letting the few thousand people who got it just keep it. They had to have known there would be innocent victims like us.

Anyone who bought a bad key should be able to do a paypal dispute or ebay dispute. If you were an idiot and sent money as friends and family well, you are dumb and thats why paypal says do not use friends and family to buy shit.

Gestault

Turns out my early eBay code was fraudulent. Whelp.

(Actually, I requested a refund and the seller took care of it within 5 minutes. The circumstances are still shit, but everyone acted reasonably in my case, so no harm no foul.)

Nah, I'm sorry, but they have no obligation to honor codes people got fraudulently. Someone then re-selling those to you/us is on that seller. It's not even launch day, which makes the publisher reaction all the more reasonable.

Rizific

wait, how were these keys obtained illegitimately? id assume each key came with a legitimately purchased gpu then re-sold, right?

I don't get it, How did fake keys happen in the first place?

Also, I bought a 1070 card from Amazon and they key didn't work on nVidia's site. I was told to try later. So does this mean my key is revoked as well? I'm confused.

What is happening?
abtIZvF.gif

Corpekata

Banned

Yes, and I would forward that message to paypal / ebay because it's an obvious scam tactic that will trigger their alarms and might get them to act faster.

Not really, they gotta show that this shit isn't right in case it happens again.

Just like they revoked the free Fallout 4 earlier this year.

The difference there is that the people who took advantage of that, you know you were revoking it from the same exact person who was attempting to use it. With these codes, there were a lot of people via ebay, or reddit, or here on gaf like myself who think the seller is on the level, and is not selling something shady.

Even if I do eventually get a refund, now I gotta sit here and worry if I will get my money back.

Top Bottom