• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

VolticArchangel

Gold Member
Since Tai is a legendary card, that's 2400 scrap I believe if they let him loose a week from now. Yeah, no thanks if I don't get him within this weekend. Lol

pizzacat

Banned
Since Tai is a legendary card, that's 2400 scrap I believe if they let him loose a week from now. Yeah, no thanks if I don't get him within this weekend. Lol
I'm okay with that I got over 3000 right now

I'd like these characters to not be so limited. I barely get time to play and they have events like every other weekend but they only last that weekend

The back up box has not given me anyone but a color blast jd.

VolticArchangel

Gold Member
I'm okay with that I got over 3000 right now

I'd like these characters to not be so limited. I barely get time to play and they have events like every other weekend but they only last that weekend

It actually won't be this bad if they actually set the fucking packs specifically and let us know what we're gonna get in each of those packs before we buy them using credits/real world money, instead of this stupid RNG shit that's not only annoying, but entirely anti-consumer.

The back up box has not given me anyone but a color blast jd.

The color blast and the zombie characters have to be the most mind numbingly stupid design in GeOW history tbh. Especially the zombies moaning "BRAAAAAINS" every 4 seconds.

pitchfork

Kantus!!!

https://twitter.com/GearsofWar/status/840602947184611328

C6pr7C7WwAACS1U.jpg

VolticArchangel

Gold Member
Really annoying this one locust/classic cog a month model, just to add to their monthly goodie PR quota so that modern "game jurnalizm" can write positive monthly pieces for them.

If you're gonna release classic characters, at least get them out in their group/breed, i.e. if you plan releasing monks, release the Kantus and Skorge at once. If you're planning on releasing the Drones, get Drone + Sniper and the Savage variants in one pack. Grenadiers, with the elite and savage or the Therons with the Palace Guards and so on. And then finally the generals + Myrrah and Kait in Myrrah's Armor in one pack etc.

Same way for humans. Alpha (with their Delta skins), Stranded character pack, Classic Delta, post jacinto/lambent pandemic Delta etc.

Talk about Kantus, it would be a nice touch if the Swarm actually gets a Monk variant in the game's lore going forward and in-game. Name it something as cringey as the Swarmak even, Swantus? Lol. But the Kantus are actually one of the most disgusting locust breeds out there. The collectible scrolls in GeOW 2 talking about their rituals with human organs is actually the tip of the iceberg. They've got a nice opening with the Swarm being the evolution of locust, and can push the gore forward even more.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Wow so you get a timed ban for leaving a lobby. What's the fucking point of having them then? Sorry I didn't want to play the same map for a third time. Ridiculous.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Wow so you get a timed ban for leaving a lobby. What's the fucking point of having them then? Sorry I didn't want to play the same map for a third time. Ridiculous.

When you're in a lobby you're 'in' the game. The lobby in gears is just a glorified loading screen.

For purchasing GoW 4 I got codes for 1, 3 and Judgement, why not 2? It's banned in Germany.
Just now I got a message from Microsoft: Download code for GoW 2, it's been re-certified and now no longer banned in Germany.

Just how cool is THAT?!??

Sometimes Microsoft is really good to their customers, much more loyal than Sony this gen and this comes from someone who was leaning towards Sony's side last gen and who has all 3 8th gen consoles.I mean, I had imported and played Gears 2 back in the day, but still... a really cool move from MS.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
For purchasing GoW 4 I got codes for 1, 3 and Judgement, why not 2? It's banned in Germany.
Just now I got a message from Microsoft: Download code for GoW 2, it's been re-certified and now no longer banned in Germany.

Sometimes Microsoft is really good to their customers, much more loyal than Sony this gen and this comes from someone who was leaning towards Sony's side last gen and who has all 3 8th gen consoles.I mean, I had imported and played Gears 2 back in the day, but still... a really cool move from MS.

Why was Gears 2 banned but not the first one or #3?

Why was Gears 2 banned but not the first one or #3?

Pretty sure the first one was banned back in the day too. Not sure when that changed.... maybe with the PC version?? Probably even later.

Gears 3 came out at a time when the german FSK and whoever else is involved was becoming less restrictive in terms of violence (Max Payne 3 was the last big game I remember having to restrict the level of violence to be publically sold here). Genitals and swearing were never a problem here, you can say FICKEN at every hour on public TV. Boobs can be ok in some content from 6 years on, never the rating goes up beyond 16 for them.

Swastikas are still a problem, even if they're unmistakablly worn by the bad guys only, it's annoying having to avoid buying Wolfenstein The New Order on steam because of that, but it would be even weirder to protest against the swastika ban... so, I'm kinda ok with that one.

Yeah, got the same message. I actually remember being super confused why I never got the Gears 2 code, even when someone here actually gave me their Gears 2 code. It gave me Judgment again haha. Completely forgot about the entire "Indizierung" thing. God, that was so annoying.

I guess the Gears 1 remaster is what led to the re-certification of the first game?

Also, I really need to jump back into Gears 4!
Have I actually missed out on all those new/old characters or am I still able to get them somehow?!

I guess the Gears 1 remaster is what led to the re-certification of the first game?
Yes! That was it.

And after playing Gears 3 for the first time in early january(my Xbox360 broke shortly before it was out and I never replaced it, went Ps3+PC), I kinda had my gears kick covered and haven't actually started GoW4 yet, same with Unchrted 4 after playing UC 1 and 2 remastered (UC2 for the 5 1/2th time, it was my favorite PS3 game), bought but not played yet.

So a week after the update, Gnasher change doesn't really feel like it's done much. Still tons of sponging and inconsistencies. So now we have an unreliable Gnasher with even longer range.

I'm sure a big part of it is lag though. Still plenty of region hoppers and most lobbies are loaded with Mexicans with horrible connections.

shield

Apologies for what I'm sure is yet another "is the season pass worth it" question...

...but the base game is on sale for £20 while the ultimate edition is £48. Is it worth paying over twice as much to get the season pass? I don't care about weapon skins but I am interested in character skins, and the main draw of this game for me is to play local 2 player horde mode with a buddy.

Thanks!

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Apologies for what I'm sure is yet another "is the season pass worth it" question...

...but the base game is on sale for £20 while the ultimate edition is £48. Is it worth paying over twice as much to get the season pass? I don't care about weapon skins but I am interested in character skins, and the main draw of this game for me is to play local 2 player horde mode with a buddy.

Thanks!

the only thing the season pass does is let you use dlc maps in private games when they're taken out of the rotation.

for your case you might want that but if you don't care about that don't bother. All the skins and stuff can be earned in game and you can buy the maps and season pass separately later

Did you lucky Americans and Europeans get your Phantom Gnasher skins? It was impossible to find a game of Escalation in Australia, so I missed out. Too bad, as its a pretty good skin.
I would have chased the Phantom skin for the Lancer too, if I could have obtained the Gnasher one.

VolticArchangel

Gold Member

Thanks!

Just get the base game for 20 quid. Another 30 for the season pass isn't worth it right now if you aren't into the multiplayer, particularly private amongst your friends list, if any one of them doesn't have it already. Get it separately later when it's around 10. There's no hint of single player content (like RAAM's Shadow in GeOW 3, Judgment SP DLC during 3's timeline or that cut chapter from GeOW 2 where Marcus and Dom disguise as therons) either.

Since you're mostly gonna horde, the only maps you'll be missing are Diner and the new War Machine (to an extent Clocktower as well). They're basically easy mode, even on insane.

Also, just a FYI. Horde is always online as it runs on azure because of heavy scene complexity all the time, and an X1 can't handle it on it's own. Local play (including LAN) is allowed, but you will have to be online.

Acrylic7

Did you lucky Americans and Europeans get your Phantom Gnasher skins? It was impossible to find a game of Escalation in Australia, so I missed out. Too bad, as its a pretty good skin.
I would have chased the Phantom skin for the Lancer too, if I could have obtained the Gnasher one.

Those things are hideous and give away your location. Didn't even try to get them.

malfcn

The skin chasing is a bit frustrating. I can't do the eSports stuff. And then they are just giving them all to pc players that dipped into escalation.

I bought 4 packs and got ZERO Locust! Now I am broke :mad:
I didnt know they were Legendary either. Scrubby generic Locust Drones should only have been purple cards IMO. Locust with a bit of individuality and personality should be Legendary cards (Myrrah and Kantus etc).

shield

the only thing the season pass does is let you use dlc maps in private games when they're taken out of the rotation.

for your case you might want that but if you don't care about that don't bother. All the skins and stuff can be earned in game and you can buy the maps and season pass separately later

Just get the base game for 20 quid. Another 30 for the season pass isn't worth it right now if you aren't into the multiplayer, particularly private amongst your friends list, if any one of them doesn't have it already. Get it separately later when it's around 10. There's no hint of single player content (like RAAM's Shadow in GeOW 3, Judgment SP DLC during 3's timeline or that cut chapter from GeOW 2 where Marcus and Dom disguise as therons) either.

Since you're mostly gonna horde, the only maps you'll be missing are Diner and the new War Machine (to an extent Clocktower as well). They're basically easy mode, even on insane.

Also, just a FYI. Horde is always online as it runs on azure because of heavy scene complexity all the time, and an X1 can't handle it on it's own. Local play (including LAN) is allowed, but you will have to be online.

Thanks for all the advice! I went for just the base game in the end :)

dab0ne

I got 20,000 coins saved up. Lets see how I get fucked over today.

edit- Only got a drone. These guys are idiots

I opened one and got an epic Bolton skin -_-

I despise how they've got this set up. You either get lucky or its a super grind to get the scrap you need to create a character. Hated it with overwatch and I hate it here.

dab0ne

I actually played through 50 waves of horde last night with randoms. First time I've gone the whole 50 with random people. Everyone had different classes and petty much did their jobs. It was great!

Yeah, it's just same old shit except with a Gnasher that shoots twice as far now.

I tried playing today and it's just unbearable. I'll try again when they finally put out the weapon tuning changes but who knows when that will be since TC wants to prioritize their shitty esports over the health of the game.

I have the Phantom Gnasher but fuck using that thing.

It shows straight through smoke. Putting yourself at a disadvantage for no reason. Ill just keep lighting up these fools in the smoke

Montresor

Looking for Group has allowed me to drop into Horde matches and get carried to these achievements:

Beat 1-50 on insane with scout
Beat 1-50 on insane with engineer
Beat 1-50 on insane with heavy
Beat 1-50 on insane with sniper
Beat 1-50 on insane with soldier

And it's also allowed me to beat 1-50 on these launch maps: Fallout, Forge, and a Foundation

Looking for Group is an incredible feature. It's so unbelievably convenient. It needs to get more noise and respect.

Montresor

Also, now that I'm done all the insane Horde achievements, I have these class ratings:

Soldier = 6
Engineer = 5
Heavy = 4
Sniper = 3
Scout = 3

What is the best way to level them up to level 10? I need to do 7 more launch maps so going after the launch maps in general should help. But I don't have to do them on insane since I have those insane achievements already.

Yeah lfg is a game changer for horde for sure.

I just wish there was a way to check which maps I've done 1-50 on.

My classes are

Soldier 9
Scout 8
Heavy 10
Engineer 0
Sniper 2

As for levelling them up? Straight 1-50 insane runs are the best. Other than that, the developer horde playlist or the double class Xp weekends are the way to go.

Basically just playing horde is the way to level them up.

Ballistik

Is there anything more satisfying that downing hyper active wall bouncers?

Wall bouncing your way forward, evading shots, and landing one fatal hit that'll turn the guy lancering you into pieces. Especially those kills where you are one bullet away from going down... the ones that makes them scream in rage how you ate shots and sends a message how you're sponging. I find those really satisfying.

bigJP

Any tips? Have played 3 before and was decent. But am pretty much a noob
Can handle myself in social but in ranked I'm way out of my league. Just got the game yesterday

Any tips? Have played 3 before and was decent. But am pretty much a noob
Can handle myself in social but in ranked I'm way out of my league. Just got the game yesterday
The core thing to understand is movement is more important than aiming. Not to say aiming isn't important, but if your standing still holding aim with a shotgun? You're gonna get lit up.

I'd suggest sticking to social for a while to get your footing.

Gears is a very hard game to get good at. Hell I've been playing over ten years and I'm still slightly over average. If your the kind of person whose gonna get very frustrated and angry when your lose, and get shotgunned to hell and back until the movement, shotgun and aiming clicks, maybe avoid this game.

There's a big learning curve, but, gears is a very satisfying game to play and excel at.

Basically, stick with it! It takes time to get good at this.

bigJP

The core thing to understand is movement is more important than aiming. Not to say aiming isn't important, but if your standing still holding aim with a shotgun? You're gonna get lit up.

I'd suggest sticking to social for a while to get your footing.

Gears is a very hard game to get good at. Hell I've been playing over ten years and I'm still slightly over average. If your the kind of person whose gonna get very frustrated and angry when your lose, and get shotgunned to hell and back until the movement, shotgun and aiming clicks, maybe avoid this game.

There's a big learning curve, but, gears is a very satisfying game to play and excel at.

Basically, stick with it! It takes time to get good at this.

its irritating dealing with the wall bouncers but when this game clicks its amazing. guess its like halo, only the dedicated playerbase is left. guess im gonna have to just keep on practicing it

Top Bottom