• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

its irritating dealing with the wall bouncers but when this game clicks its amazing. guess its like halo, only the dedicated playerbase is left. guess im gonna have to just keep on practicing it
There is a lot of that, the OGs sticking around.

It's hard, but not impossible.

When using the shotgun, holding L, or hard aiming as it's known, is situational.

When you're up close, don't aim at all, look where the barrel of the gun is pointing and use that to shoot. When you are not right up close, use hard aiming, further out then that? Pistol or rifle.

Stick with it. It's definitely worth it. So satisfying to play this game when everything clicks.

Also don't be afraid to help your teammates by spotting enemies (click the left stick whole aiming) or provide cover fire at distance with the lancer while a teammate is shotgunning an enemy. Being a good team player is essential for victory in gears.

bigJP

There is a lot of that, the OGs sticking around.

It's hard, but not impossible.

When using the shotgun, holding L, or hard aiming as it's known, is situational.

When you're up close, don't aim at all, look where the barrel of the gun is pointing and use that to shoot. When you are not right up close, use hard aiming, further out then that? Pistol or rifle.

Stick with it. It's definitely worth it. So satisfying to play this game when everything clicks.

Also don't be afraid to help your teammates by spotting enemies (click the left stick whole aiming) or provide cover fire at distance with the lancer while a teammate is shotgunning an enemy. Being a good team player is essential for victory in gears.

definitely. loved gears 1,2,3. only really got into mp with 3 though. was always big on halo, then destiny, then titanfall. just started gears 4 and im like shit why didnt i start earlier

Ballistik

its irritating dealing with the wall bouncers but when this game clicks its amazing. guess its like halo, only the dedicated playerbase is left. guess im gonna have to just keep on practicing it

If anything, support your team. Maybe you won't be the one running in with the shotgun, but follow your teammate that is and provide cover fire. It helps immensely. Little by little you'll start to feel more open to using the shotgun, but the lancer can be very effective when aiding shotgunning teammates.

Ballistik

hammerburst or lancer?

For competitive, Lancer. You don't even have the option for hammerburst in Escalation/Execution.

Also, try using the retro lancer as well. It's a pick-up weapon that's a stronger variant of the lancer. My friend who plays with me isn't that great with the shotgun, but he's a beast with the lancer and retro lancer.

Looking for Group has allowed me to drop into Horde matches and get carried to these achievements:

Beat 1-50 on insane with scout
Beat 1-50 on insane with engineer
Beat 1-50 on insane with heavy
Beat 1-50 on insane with sniper
Beat 1-50 on insane with soldier

And it's also allowed me to beat 1-50 on these launch maps: Fallout, Forge, and a Foundation

Looking for Group is an incredible feature. It's so unbelievably convenient. It needs to get more noise and respect.

I hope I can get back into this game someday, but I cannot wait to use the LFG feature with this game and horde mode!

Montresor

No double class EXP this weekend for the Horde event.

I'll be skipping.

I just finished doing 1-50 on Relic a couple of nights ago, the last launch map I needed. That put me up to 620/1000 gamerscore for the game. The only doable ones left for me are:

1) Beat campaign on insane
2) Level up one horde class to 10
3) Level up all five horde classes to 10
4) Earn 100k credits

I'm going to do #1 with my brother on co-op (using the co-op "one person plays on casual' exploit, heheh) and then retire the game until the summer. I had an incredible amount of fun with Horde but the grind for level 10 classes is too much. I'll return in the summer once they add new substantial content to Horde.

I wouldn't bother with the update honestly. The range on the Gnasher is still way too much and the sponging is worse than ever.

If you don't mind every 3rd shot you fire being completely eaten then have it, otherwise I'd say just leave the game on the shelf.

I wouldn't bother with the update honestly. The range on the Gnasher is still way too much and the sponging is worse than ever.

If you don't mind every 3rd shot you fire being completely eaten then have it, otherwise I'd say just leave the game on the shelf.
Right now I've mostly been playing 2v2 koth competitive settings customs with buddies, it's pretty fun. I feel like they can find a balance between core and competitive.

Man that sucks, So far I've just not been a fan of core tuning and I really want to play KOTH with a gnasher that's less op than it is now. I love the movement in competitive settings and the gnasher battles I just find escalation sweaty and my friends don't want to play it.

So I played a bit more this evening. Not as much sponging as earlier in the day but still enough to be noticeable. Overall it's better than it was but it still needs more fine tuning. I think the range on it is still too much. I'm also noticing that I'm one shot downing people and getting gibs from really questionable ranges.

Lancer is pretty ridiculous right now. The 5% damage increase is really noticeable. I'm not sure why they made this change because I felt like it was doing fine to be honest. I guess they were really worried about headshot damage but now it's just a powerhouse even without hitting the head.

Hammerburst needed a buff but this one feels like a bit much. Damage increase, headshot damage increase, clip size increase, stopping power increases, recoil decrease. It's a bit crazy lol. As a Hammerburst user I'm glad it's actually viable now but I expect some of the buffs will be toned down pretty quickly.

Lancer buff is trash.

Gasher feels fine. Every Gears game has sponging due to connection fuckery. I'm lucky that I've learnt not to pet it annoy me.

Haven't played hotel or Slab yet because I already know it's just gonna be a rifle fest and there's no fun in that :/

slyfox

Core settings are trash. Every gun feels op. Unfortunately if I want to play KOTH or guardian I have to play core.
Still waiting for competitive koth and other gametypes. Can't stand the nuke gnasher in core.

malfcn

Tonight is fucking great. I'm destroying people in escalation.

Then all the up echoing music and my bullets stop working.

Augh.

God the Core Lancer is so beyond broken. I have no clue what they were thinking with those changes.

Also can I just say how beyond tired I am of watching the enemy team spawn on the damn hill in KotH. It's every damn month these new maps come out and KotH spawns are a broken mess. TC just doesn't care.

Edit: Decided to try some competitive with Escalation. Had two people on my team that couldn't get more than 15 kills in 11 total rounds lol. Really tired of pulling MVP on the losing team.

How many hours was the single player? Did you enjoy it?

I completed it on Normal with a friend online co-op in about 6 hours. We only died like maybe twice. So if you play on a harder difficulty it bet it adds a couple hours.
I really liked the middle of the game. The opening is a little too slow and the ending is unsatisfying. But still fun.

MouldyK

I completed it on Normal with a friend online co-op in about 6 hours. We only died like maybe twice. So if you play on a harder difficulty it bet it adds a couple hours.
I really liked the middle of the game. The opening is a little too slow and the ending is unsatisfying. But still fun.

Worth £20 in the deal just for the Single Player if I loved the last 3 SP?

Ballistik

Crossplay coming to RANKED

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/community/news/win10-ranked
Quoting the important stuff
As for our permanent solution - Crossplay is coming to Ranked Play! That means Xbox and PC players will be able to play alongside each other and compete for Ranks in any Core and Competitive playlist.

...we will be adding a new 'Ranked Crossplay' Toggle for our Xbox One players! Xbox One players will have the choice of playing with or without Windows 10 players in any Core or Competitive Playlist with this toggle - though Social, Competitive Warm Up and Special Events will always be Crossplay enabled regardless. As we want to make sure Windows 10 players can experience any Ranked Playlist, the toggle will not be available on Windows 10.

Finished the campaign again on Hardcore.

Hated the big enemies that were bullet sponges. Especially the
brumak boss, just frustrating, enemies everywhere and the pimple popping was not fun at all
. And I now understand what people meant with the main characters, so bland and all "haha funny" same.
When the old crew appeared, it was as if I could finally breathe after holding my air for these main boring character

The blue box, what ever the heck they're called, horde sections were okay, made big fights interesting.

The thunderstorms were very pretty to look at.... That's all I have to say to those.

The continuation of the story, the lore, actually is interesting. I wanted to learn more, and I still want to learn more.

In the end, there were more annoying sections of the game than there were fun ones. Not because of Hardcore (I'm a "veteran", been playing since Gears came out), there was just many annoying sections that felt like they never ended, where it gave me that "okay this is getting stale now, please stop" thought, a lot. The finale was cool...

I miss the H.R. Giger style armor and style of the baddies, these new enemies seem bland in comparison. I don't mind the "organic/parasite" look of them, I hope they can make it even more unique and memorable.

LOC_Palace_Concept.jpg

Gears of War 5, please have sections that feel fun more than annoying, and don't be afraid to go full stupid awesome, just like you did with the finale.

GravyButt

Hows the population? Cant even find a game right now. Haven't played since it launched ( and only played the single player not mo)

Or I should say what modes are the most popular? Should I be looking at social quickplay? Core? Or competitive modes? Im assuming im going to be horrible haha

Hows the population? Cant even find a game right now. Haven't played since it launched ( and only played the single player not mo)

Or I should say what modes are the most popular? Should I be looking at social quickplay? Core? Or competitive modes? Im assuming im going to be horrible haha

try social quickplay first then some horde :D

Ballistik

So the 6 month beta on the ranking system is finally over! (that's what I'm calling it)

They finally reset everyone's rank and Season 1 has begun. Time to do placement matches again.

Dosia

So I lost two of my placement matches and I was put directly into Diamond in Escalation. Looks like ranks still aren't working....

I played with my cousin last night in all of our placement matches and he only outscored me once. It made him a gold 2 and me a silver 1. Lol

GreyWind

I'm guessing the reason why they make Zombie characters is because all they say is "Braaaaaaains" so that saves them the work of hiring VAs to do the MP/ horde callouts.

Still a fucking joke.

Canals, Fuel Depot, Mansion, Raven Down, Jacinto, Sanctuary, Azura to pick from and they give us Security?

really hoping they keep giving us maps beyond the 12 month plan they set out at launch.

Security has been one of the most requested from what I've seen. I don't really know why as I've always found it to be completely average, not to mentioning nobody even used the laser side of the map.

Personally I want to see some of the Gears 2 DLC maps, especially the ones from Dark Corners.

Then again, I'm not really playing the game at all anymore. They massacred Core with the weapon changes over the last couple months. Competitive is solid but there's still rampant sponging due to lag and region hoppers.

J-Roderton

Finally an new original map. Thank god.

Hopefully they put more characters with zombie carmine , at least put the other carmines, im not a fan of the zombie carmine

Never know. We did get 2 of Kantus recently. Zombies are so lame, but if anyone deserves an alternate zombie skin it's Tony since he took one to the dome.

Finally an new original map. Thank god.

Never know. We did get 2 of Kantus recently. Zombies are so lame, but if anyone deserves an alternate zombie skin it's Tony since he took one to the dome.

yeah , but they toned down when the zombie say brains at least lool,

Top Bottom