• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Whatever it takes.

f9433534-cd52-41aa-b7whj9a.png

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I can't find a single game on social quickplay in the PC version. Is something wrong with my game or network?

JAGMASK

Saved up enough credits for 10 carmine crates. My all time favourite gears character is clay. I got one Benjamin and a bunch of useless weapon skins. I'm kind of done with this awful loot system. I'm burnt out from grinding too. Might jump in to try the new maps in horde every now and then but I'm going to stop playing this as much as I used to.

HiiiLife

Either the matchmaking got worse or the new thing to do is back out of the lobby while we're voting, forcing me to find a match. Again.

Hey guys, some questions from a perspective buyer. I'm on W10, and thinking of getting this game + the original.

Q1. How's the campaign? Worth playing?

Q2. How "alive" is the online?

Q3. How good is the netcode? I ask because I live in Pakistan so most of my matches are (most likely) gonna be with europeans.

Q4. What is the crossplay situation?

daninthemix

Ugh, the Snatchers aren't doing it for me. They're clearly the product of designers who don't know what the fuck they're doing.

Might be the laziest update so far.

A map from Gears 1/3, a map from Gears 4 and two characters from Gears 3.

Edit: Reclaimed Windflare is bad. Like...really bad. I'm surprised it made it out of playtesting to be honest.

Raven Down is just the same old thing. It didn't work well in Gears 3 and the same holds true with 4. It was a great map in Gears 1 but it does not work with how Gears plays these days.

Gears is garbage now. All the Classic maps don't work because people just sit back and lancer the majority of the time.

It makes the game boring. Why not play any other shooter ever, Gears shotgun battles were it's defining identity. With every game they push the rifles and nerf shotgun battles.

Fuck the lancer and hammer.

daninthemix

Having finished the campaign, being massively underwhelmed, I've now dived into Gears 1 UE and the difference is stark, to say the least. Act 1 of Gears 1 has more excitement and innovation than the entirety of Gears 4.

Having finished the campaign, being massively underwhelmed, I've now dived into Gears 1 UE and the difference is stark, to say the least. Act 1 of Gears 1 has more excitement and innovation than the entirety of Gears 4.
Campaign was fine imo. Of course it doesn't surpass Gears1. Gears 1 was a team building a new game in a new Universe. Devs were excited to make the game.

I like Windflare Reclaimed. Reclaimed is great by itself. The storm just adds a bit more character and atmosphere.
Ravendown is not a map I like. It looks and plays in a very boring way.

Lkr

is anyone heavy into KOTH? a friend and i play it nonstop but it sucks getting stuck with 3 randoms all the time. doesn't really matter how good you are, we are both decent at best but just trying to have some fun. KOTH is about all we've been playing and now that our ranks are getting higher it gets harder because we get matched up against some solid squads lol

Got all three of the Savage Locust characters, including the Savage Grenader Elite (my fav looking character of all time)...

Unless the put the women in bathing suits, or make savage DBs or Swarm, im pretty set now with all my fav characters....

Ogs

Nobody plays Warzone ? On both PC and Xbox I leave it searching for games, comes up with nothing. I want old school Gears dammit.

I know this isn't nearly the same, but Koth has Warzone rules. As in you can kill your downs from a distance.

They wont bleed out though, unless it is a third down. I can say that while I prefer Warzone over execution, I am definitely more of a KotH or Guardian kind of guy. Warzone was better for me when I used to have a whole team of friends to play with.

Kalentan

Holy fuck the Match making in Core is so fucked.

Doing my placements and got paired against a 4-man team of Gold and Onyx and we're Gold and Silver...

And it was my final match of placements and I get bronze fucking 1.

LOL.

Whoever designed the matchmaking system should be fired because holy shit it apparently doesn't read skill level. This would be like if in League of Legends you're in Silver and start to get paired up against Premades in Plat and Diamond.
Like I know the developers aren't lazy or incompetent but that shit SHOULD NEVER happen. Like put me in the queue longer rather than finding whoever you can.

Doing my placements and got paired against a 4-man team of Gold and Onyx and we're Gold and Silver...

LOL.

Whoever designed the matchmaking system should be fired because holy shit it apparently doesn't read skill level. This would be like if in League of Legends you're in Silver and start to get paired up against Premades in Plat and Diamond.
Like I know the developers aren't lazy or incompetent but that shit SHOULD NEVER happen. Like put me in the queue longer rather than finding whoever you can.
I can't count the number of times the game has thrown me and my friends against all onyx or diamonds.

LOL.

I have this problem on core modes too. I tend to pay Execution the most where those problems aren't too bad

LOL.

The game is pretty much dead when it comes to some modes, so there isn't enough people to make the matchmaking fair.

TDM is the only mode that has a decent amount of people among the core modes.

LOL.

i kinda think the problem stems for far too many ranks in relation to the dwindling playerbase. you have 13 ranks in total which seems like a lot.

this might be a non-issue if we knew there was a large pool of players out there but the Coalition has decided to not show the population count in this game. they had it in Gears3 so im not sure why its not here.

Nobody plays Warzone ? On both PC and Xbox I leave it searching for games, comes up with nothing. I want old school Gears dammit.

I wonder if Gears 1 Ultimate might be an option for you.

slyfox

This game is unplayable with friends of varying skill levels. It just matches you against players who match the highest skilled player on your team. What a joke.

Also, even when I play solo I match players much higher than my rank and lower as well.

This game is unplayable with friends of varying skill levels. It just matches you against players who match the highest skilled player on your team. What a joke.

Also, even when I play solo I match players much higher than my rank and lower as well.

ranking is a complete mess and has been since launch. the official forums are filled with the same complaints every time i visit. leaning so hard into a ranking system was a big mistake IMO.

this coupled with the pointless push into esports is the last thing TC should be working on with their first Gears game. they should have just never split weapon tuning into two categories and funneled everyone into a single playlist with a simple level progression system.

but whatever. games as a service and esports are the new thing so lets shoehorn them into our newly acquired franchise right?

Anyone had troubles downloading the 29 GB Horde Update and any cumulative updates after that one? I've been trying for 3 months now and cannot get it to complete from the Windows Store as it will reset itself and start the entire download over at random.

slyfox

ranking is a complete mess and has been since launch. the official forums are filled with the same complaints every time i visit. leaning so hard into a ranking system was a big mistake IMO.

this coupled with the pointless push into esports is the last thing TC should be working on with their first Gears game. they should have just never split weapon tuning into two categories and funneled everyone into a single playlist with a simple level progression system.

but whatever. games as a service and esports are the new thing so lets shoehorn them into our newly acquired franchise right?

Yup. I can't believe how bad the ranking system is. Its honestly stopped me from playing the game. Halo 5's ranking system is so much better. They should just copy what 343 is doing. Playing solo sucks cause u match people all over the place and good luck trying to play with your friends who are noobs. Be prepared to get trashed every game.

The esports push has pushed me back from Gears honestly. I want the competitive settings to be standard. Instead I am forced to play these shitty Core settings if I want to play KOTH or Guardian. This game is worse than Gears 3 and it sucks.

I've been playing Gears for a little over a week now, and either I'm absolutely terrible, or the hit detection or whatever is goddamn terrible.

I still enjoy playing, but that's definitely lessening each day.

Raven Down 24/7 King of the Hill Gnashers only is probably the most fun I've had with Gears since Ultimate Editon

If this isn't made a permanent playlist then TC are fucking up big time.

There's definitely a subset of the population that just want that Gears 1 experince of just shotgun battles. This gametype provides that on heaps. No Power weapons or boring teams rifling from a distance, just pure brutal Gears shotguns.

Make it permanent please.

Ballistik

Raven Down 24/7 King of the Hill Gnashers only is probably the most fun I've had with Gears since Ultimate Editon

There's definitely a subset of the population that just want that Gears 1 experince of just shotgun battles. This gametype provides that on heaps. No Power weapons or boring teams rifling from a distance, just pure brutal Gears shotguns.

It's using the competitive 2.0 settings which I am glad for since I had a really rough time adjusting from the regular competitive tuning to 2.0. This playlist helped me practice a lot, and the new shotgun is starting to grow on me. I agree they should make it permanent, it's a good way to warm up and rack up kills. My high score was 90 Lol.

Yeah I've been playing Core Koth the whole time I've been playing Gears. The competitive settings never felt right to me.

The beta 2.0 settings are vastly super imo. I'd be happy for Koth to go in competitive and use 2.0 settings from now on.

This and Snipe only need to be made into permanent playlists. I can't remember the last time I used a sniper in a match because of all the fuckers going for it at once and then there is always that one guy who hounds you if you dare take it

Octus said they're going to be bringing it back for "an extended amount of time" at some point in the future.
These constant promises of "in the Future" are tiresome. They've extended events before for a week or so, not sure why not this one.

From the forums it seemed pretty popular.

And it had the good shotgun 2.0

They need to cut the multiple tunings and fast. Make everything beta 2.0

A lot of the Classic maps are terrible in this game.

Rustlung
Drydock
War machine
Gridlock

All ruined because the game is a lancer fest. Raven down 24/7 was such a breath of fresh air with no bullshit rifles. They ruin the game in their current form. Teams just sit back and lancer to hell and back. It's boring.

Top Bottom