• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

slyfox

A lot of the Classic maps are terrible in this game.

Rustlung
Drydock
War machine
Gridlock

All ruined because the game is a lancer fest. Raven down 24/7 was such a breath of fresh air with no bullshit rifles. They ruin the game in their current form. Teams just sit back and lancer to hell and back. It's boring.

Yup. Its due to the core settings where everything is OP as fuck. Gnasher battles never last more than 2 shots and the Lancer melts. A coordinated team in KOTH Core who Lancers heavily is practically unplayable. They need to apply Competitive 2.0 settings throughout the game. Right now I can't play my favourite modes and escalation as a solo player is frustrating. No other competitive game splits the userbase into two like this. Remove Core and this game will be much better.

On the topic of maps I think the unique maps in Gears 4 aren't that great compared to the previous Gears. The classic maps have improved the maps for this game. Epic knew how to make great maps and the Coalition doesn't come close.

Ballistik

A lot of the Classic maps are terrible in this game.

Rustlung
Drydock
War machine
Gridlock

All ruined because the game is a lancer fest. Raven down 24/7 was such a breath of fresh air with no bullshit rifles. They ruin the game in their current form. Teams just sit back and lancer to hell and back. It's boring.

I hope your complaints are about social games and not competitive. Gears is a team oriented game. It's not a lancer fest. Lancers have their place just as much as shotguns do. In ranked modes, a great team has teammates lancering to support those rushing in with shotguns. Cover fire is important, and the more coordination a team has (lancering from good angles), the more wins you'll have. All rifles are essential to Gears, and what I get most out of the game is when my teammates and I mesh well and support each other. The're no better feeling that playing against a good team and having complete control of the map, with my team applying pressure from our lancers and not letting them breathe.

Don't get me wrong, the shotgun defines Gears. In my squad we try to have roles and I'm always the slayer, I wall bounce and rack up kills. But I also respect and acknowledge I win my gunfights more because someone has my back. I don't believe the lancer is cheap or overpowered, it complements the shotgun nicely.

I'm not saying your way of playing the game is wrong, but I am saying that if you're trying to take the game serious, you might need better teammates who will counter their lancering. I agree, it would be boring having their whole team lancering and your team getting downed left and right because you guys are only trying to push forward with shotguns.

Yup. Its due to the core settings where everything is OP as fuck. Gnasher battles never last more than 2 shots and the Lancer melts. A coordinated team in KOTH Core who Lancers heavily is practically unplayable. They need to apply Competitive 2.0 settings throughout the game. Right now I can't play my favourite modes and escalation as a solo player is frustrating. No other competitive game splits the userbase into two like this. Remove Core and this game will be much better.

On the topic of maps I think the unique maps in Gears 4 aren't that great compared to the previous Gears. The classic maps have improved the maps for this game. Epic knew how to make great maps and the Coalition doesn't come close.

I do agree everything should be competitive 2.0. I hate core settings so much.

I for one greatly prefer core to the competitive settings. As do all of the friends I play with.

I am glad they brought canals back, i just wish they would stop putting gridlock in every gears game. That map almost always devolves into a corner-camping fight over the sniper tower.

Im not really sold on either of the new maps.
Canals just looks like another dark map and Forge Blitz is just a smaller version of a map Im largely indifferent to. I'd have rather we got regular Forge, but with intermittent windflares :) They're fun.

I hope your complaints are about social games and not competitive. Gears is a team oriented game. It's not a lancer fest. Lancers have their place just as much as shotguns do. In ranked modes, a great team has teammates lancering to support those rushing in with shotguns. Cover fire is important, and the more coordination a team has (lancering from good angles), the more wins you'll have. All rifles are essential to Gears, and what I get most out of the game is when my teammates and I mesh well and support each other. The're no better feeling that playing against a good team and having complete control of the map, with my team applying pressure from our lancers and not letting them breathe.

Don't get me wrong, the shotgun defines Gears. In my squad we try to have roles and I'm always the slayer, I wall bounce and rack up kills. But I also respect and acknowledge I win my gunfights more because someone has my back. I don't believe the lancer is cheap or overpowered, it complements the shotgun nicely.

I'm not saying your way of playing the game is wrong, but I am saying that if you're trying to take the game serious, you might need better teammates who will counter their lancering. I agree, it would be boring having their whole team lancering and your team getting downed left and right because you guys are only trying to push forward with shotguns.

I do agree everything should be competitive 2.0. I hate core settings so much.
I don't know about taking it serious, I'm an onyx king player so Im not nearly at the top level of players. Any my team does counter the lancer fire, we often win games thanks to countering rifles, I'm not getting rinsed pit rushing over and over again.

My point is that's boring as fuck. The shotgun does define Gears. Gears 1 and UE had it right that rifles should be secondary always.

All you have to do is play king on any Classic maps to see how fucking boring rhe rifles make things. The maps don't work with the core weapons tuning.

You can tell me to adjust and play the game the way it is, but I'll forever find that boring as all hell. As it is, I play Gears always hopping we play a team that just runs shotties and doesnt sit back raining rifles.

Every game since Gears 1 has tried to better implement the rifles, and every time I'm sitting here scratching my head wondering why they don't just enphasise the very thing that made Gears 1 a successful breath of fresh air, the shotgun battle.

Comp 2.0 does a good job of this, there's still a place for rifles but it's majority shotgun. Now they just need to leave the casual friendly settings for social and let us have the 2.0 settings in Koth and Competitive. It's beyond stupid that as of now there's 3 tunings at the same time.

Apply one across the board. And please make it 2.0

Theorry

Competitive 2.0 Phase One - New Wallbouncing Explained

Ryan Cleven (Multiplayer Design Director, Gears of War) explains the brand new Wallbouncing system being trialed in the Competitive 2.0 Beta playlist beginning August 3rd.

This new system focuses on a 'Long/Short' slip distance cooldown that has been designed to provide a higher skill gap to movement and enable more variety in close range play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAstzXUGygc

I don't know about taking it serious, I'm an onyx king player so Im not nearly at the top level of players. Any my team does counter the lancer fire, we often win games thanks to countering rifles, I'm not getting rinsed pit rushing over and over again.

My point is that's boring as fuck. The shotgun does define Gears. Gears 1 and UE had it right that rifles should be secondary always.

All you have to do is play king on any Classic maps to see how fucking boring rhe rifles make things. The maps don't work with the core weapons tuning.

You can tell me to adjust and play the game the way it is, but I'll forever find that boring as all hell. As it is, I play Gears always hopping we play a team that just runs shotties and doesnt sit back raining rifles.

Every game since Gears 1 has tried to better implement the rifles, and every time I'm sitting here scratching my head wondering why they don't just enphasise the very thing that made Gears 1 a successful breath of fresh air, the shotgun battle.

Comp 2.0 does a good job of this, there's still a place for rifles but it's majority shotgun. Now they just need to leave the casual friendly settings for social and let us have the 2.0 settings in Koth and Competitive. It's beyond stupid that as of now there's 3 tunings at the same time.

Apply one across the board. And please make it 2.0

Yup apply it across the board because as it is competitive lacks the KOTH mode and if I want to play anything other than Escalation I gotta go to Core. the only other mode besides KOTH that I would play is Guardian.

The problem with Core and Competitive is that it segments the userbase into two pools with different settings and with the lack of game modes in competitive I feel that it funnels people into core who could play KOTH if it was in competitive. They also need to improve the ranking and match making system because the level of competition is all over the place.

A lot of TC original maps in this game don't hold up to the classics Epic has produced. The saving grace of this game was the remakes of some of these classic maps. The original maps in Gears 4 for the most part are way too big and feel disconnected when engaging. With the core weapon balancing some of these classics don't make the translation work because the opness of the rifles break them.

Yup apply it across the board because as it is competitive lacks the KOTH mode and if I want to play anything other than Escalation I gotta go to Core. the only other mode besides KOTH that I would play is Guardian.

The problem with Core and Competitive is that it segments the userbase into two pools with different settings and with the lack of game modes in competitive I feel that it funnels people into core who could play KOTH if it was in competitive. They also need to improve the ranking and match making system because the level of competition is all over the place.

A lot of TC original maps in this game don't hold up to the classics Epic has produced. The saving grace of this game was the remakes of some of these classic maps. The original maps in Gears 4 for the most part are way too big and feel disconnected when engaging. With the core weapon balancing some of these classics don't make the translation work because the opness of the rifles break them.

I have said it before but the ranking/matchmaking problem stems from a dwindling playerbase. if you have say, 10k concurrent players across 13 ranks your going to get these matches where silvers are going up against onyx players. the options are

1. expand the player pool to include people from farther away
2. reduce rank divisions so it doesn't seem like such a wide gap of skill is in play
3. give the game away for free to boost population

TC hasn't created a single iconic map so far. every map feels the same but with different textures. I'm not sure if it's because they are dead set on creating isometric/esport friendly maps but they need to go back and look at what Epic did with the likes of Mansion, Canals and Fuel Depot.

I have said it before but the ranking/matchmaking problem stems from a dwindling playerbase. if you have say, 10k concurrent players across 13 ranks your going to get these matches where silvers are going up against onyx players. the options are

1. expand the player pool to include people from farther away
2. reduce rank divisions so it doesn't seem like such a wide gap of skill is in play
3. give the game away for free to boost population

TC hasn't created a single iconic map so far. every map feels the same but with different textures. I'm not sure if it's because they are dead set on creating isometric/esport friendly maps but they need to go back and look at what Epic did with the likes of Mansion, Canals and Fuel Depot.

The thing is this matching problem has been going on for a while, when the game came out it wasn't properly ranking people I feel, right now if I go into the game solo I usually face parties in KOTH or escalation. I can't really solo play the game. What for example 343 is now doing with Halo is that the game takes the average skill of the party and looks for a team of similar skill rather than taking the highest skill level on the team as the baseline.

Gears 4 mp also has too many playlists. They have social, core and competitive. They should have two playlists IMO Social and competitive. In Social I would merge game types like dodgeball and TDM for example. They still have gametpes like execution in the game and I find that weird since it's in competitive but they don't even use it in gears esports.

I agree the game has a small player base and too many playlists but I feel like they could do a much better job at improving it. I personally feel like the condition the ranking/matching was in when the game released played a part in the loss of casual players and I don't understand why the casuals got so many playlists that are now literally full of sweats in core.

This game's quality would increase a hundred fold if they would just implement some Mexican servers.

It's absolutely mind blowing that they haven't already considering how many of them play this game and are relegated to US servers where they sponge just about everything.

The event packs dont seem very good. I bought 16 of them because I wanted to get a better look at one of those green weapon skins (I saw someone get them from the same pack on youtube). I got zero of them :/

The event packs dont seem very good. I bought 16 of them because I wanted to get a better look at one of those green weapon skins (I saw someone get them from the same pack on youtube). I got zero of them :/

They got removed from the pack. I'm guessing it's going to be in the 2000 credit pack coming later in the month.

Marvel

could never
Enjoying using Commando Dom again, but I hope we get a classic Dom skin too in the future. Oh and Onyx Guard.

AlStrong

Too bad they don't have mutators. Would love to see something like Flowers or a rainbow paint variation just for fun or something different. Client-side option for people who don't want it.

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/community/news/gears4-september-matchmaking

Next month, regional matchmaking will be removed from Gears of War 4 – eliminating the need to select a region from the Options menu.

Previously players would only be able to match with other players in the same region. Removing regional matchmaking means players will have more people to match with, resulting in higher quality matches.

We’re excited to announce significant matchmaking updates along with the hotly demanded in-game ping display for all users arriving next month!

In September, when players start matchmaking they will first look for a match on their best data center. If a match is not available, additional data centers will be added over time (based on latency, not region) until a match is found. The end result should mean higher quality matches with the lowest possible latency.

In addition, we’re adding ping to the in-game scoreboard for all players so you can get a better picture of the online environment you are currently playing in.

One step closer to having this game reach its full potential.

I love staying back and supporting teammates with hammerburst fire. Takes health off an enemy they are fighting. I also love using the enforcer as often people never expect it. Again it's mainly downs and assists but I feel it helps more than another shotgun. This gets me loads of messages though because I'm apparently playing the game wrong by using starting weapons available to me.

Leyasu

Banned
isn't the removal of regional MM going to make match quality worse here? not sure how they figure that.

Apparently it's going to navigate you automatically to the servers with least latency. I'm a bit skeptical myself but I do welcome the ping display on the scoreboard

Holy shit.

How can it navigate you to the best datacenter, if the default lowest ping one can't find you a game??

Sounds just like the bullshit that 343 would spew in order to justify their fuck head server selection. Fuck that

Holy shit.

How can it navigate you to the best datacenter, if the default lowest ping one can't find you a game??

Sounds just like the bullshit that 343 would spew in order to justify their fuck head server selection. Fuck that

i assume it will auto switch regions for you as you try to find players. if you queue up in say, NAwest and don't find anybody it will find the next closest server NAeast and keep looking.

essentially all that they have done here is force the Auto Server toggle on everyone. you wont be able to manually choose between NAwest NAeast, South America, Europe or Asia. I personally don't think it will change anything because I bet 99% of people just left it on auto anyway.

currently on suspension until sept 7th because i was reported for "harrassment" and "threatening" acts.

I was in rank, and some little guy kept doing the wall bouncing shit, so i laid into him with the enforcer and then got some good hump action in on him, before beating him down and then humping him after the beat down. Yeap, that earned my a two week suspension. I can still spend hard earned money on shitty esport packs, and possibly get another colorblasted JD and the emblem of turkey! That is fair, right, xbox?

currently on suspension until sept 7th because i was reported for "harrassment" and "threatening" acts.

I was in rank, and some little guy kept doing the wall bouncing shit, so i laid into him with the enforcer and then got some good hump action in on him, before beating him down and then humping him after the beat down. Yeap, that earned my a two week suspension. I can still spend hard earned money on shitty esport packs, and possibly get another colorblasted JD and the emblem of turkey! That is fair, right, xbox?
I often beat people down and tea bag and have never gotten suspended. No way you got banned for a once off

Leyasu

Banned
i assume it will auto switch regions for you as you try to find players. if you queue up in say, NAwest and don't find anybody it will find the next closest server NAeast and keep looking.

essentially all that they have done here is force the Auto Server toggle on everyone. you wont be able to manually choose between NAwest NAeast, South America, Europe or Asia. I personally don't think it will change anything because I bet 99% of people just left it on auto anyway.

? If say it can't find a game on the two eu datacenters, it will the cast the net even further. Meaning that you could easily end up playing out of region a lot more.

Not a great solution imo

Ballistik

I had been off this game for over a month but I saw the new season finally started, so I decided to play my five placement matches in Escalation.

I lost two of them and I get put back in Diamond... well there's no fun in that, nothing to progress.

Fmw3gAz.png

Stealth brag

Grisby

7 gb update eh? And I guess I missed the double xp dev play. Add to that disappointment is the fact that now all of my games on the Xbox One's ready to download list has up and vanished.

Think I'm at my limit with this game. The garbage 30hz servers just ruin the game too much.

Shit just become unplayable when 80% of every lobby is south of the border.

malfcn

The ping sometimes feels wrong too. Just got out into a match where everyone is over 100 but me. The "best" player had 600+ and was sponging shots.

I am literally getting ranked down after going 39-10 and 16-4 because of bad teams. Feels good man.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
The ping sometimes feels wrong too. Just got out into a match where everyone is over 100 but me. The "best" player had 600+ and was sponging shots.

I am literally getting ranked down after going 39-10 and 16-4 because of bad teams. Feels good man.

lower ping is better unless I'm not understand what you mean. do you mean you have a ping of 600+? because that's awful. I would probably just quit that game.

malfcn

lower ping is better unless I'm not understand what you mean. do you mean you have a ping of 600+? because that's awful. I would probably just quit that game.

My ping is normally 60-90. The game is matching me with 100-1100 (there was one 1100 match, actually a team of 2).

There was a match where a 600 ping player was untouchable.

Top Bottom