• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 PC supporting HDR or not!?

With the PC supposedly being the ultimate gaming machine, you'd be forgiven for thinking that a game releasing on console (Xbox One) would also be releasing on PC and have exactly the same graphical features and then some right?......

Well now we pretty much know that Forza Horizon 3 on the PC will not launch with HDR, which for the life of me I can't figure out why when the hard work is done, to then just leave it out.

So what of Gears 4? As far as I can tell it isn't going to have HDR on the PC, The Coalition have listed all these amazing features, but HDR has never been mentioned from what I've read, can anyone tell me different?

My dilemma is that I have a Mrs who games too on a separate TV, and ideally I'd like to buy Gears 4 on her Xbox and pinch the Windows code for myself......but I'd then be missing out on a huge feature I'm dying to test out IF Gears 4 on PC doesn't have HDR, so if it doesn't I guess I'd just buy myself the Xbox copy for my S, but then the Mrs won't get a free copy as she doesn't play PC games.

I just wish MS and others would make things more clear as to what you are actually buying sometimes, makes it very difficult.

Kordelle

They said it wont at Gamescom.

But if you buy digitally you will be able to play the Game on PC and Xbox, even at the same time.

WaterAstro

Let's dial back the decision here. I have a feeling you don't have an HDR monitor to even test it, so you won't be able to test it to begin with.

NateDrake

Forza Horizon 3 will have HDR made available at launch for Xbox One S owners via a patch.

Are there any good cheap HDR PC monitors available?

novabolt

You're acting like the W10 version will make sales comparable to the XB1 version.

Honestly, I don't know why they haven't spoke about HDR GOW4 PC.

jrcbandit

Isn't HDR a no go for gaming on most 4k Tv's due to the huge increase in input lag? I know the Samsung KS8000 has low input lag with HDR turned on, but isn't that one of the few tv's that does it right?

I have a 2016 LG tv with HDR (8500, needed IPS wide viewing angles for couches in room) but I suspect with HDR enabled it will be lag city.

hwalker84

My dilemma is that I have a Mrs who games too on a separate TV, and ideally I'd like to buy Gears 4 on her Xbox and pinch the Windows code for myself......but I'd then be missing out on a huge feature I'm dying to test out IF Gears 4 on PC doesn't have HDR, so if it doesn't I guess I'd just buy myself the Xbox copy for my S, but then the Mrs won't get a free copy as she doesn't play PC games.
Its not a code

From another thread on HDR coming to windows,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcDDvoauaz0&t=43m34s

As stated at GDC, DirectX and Win10 will be adding platform level support for it on Windows. It's potentially in the current preview builds if you are a Windows Insider? The goal in that video states development capabilities will be available in the second half of this year, but with delivery to consumers in first half of next year. Sure, you can get a hardware specific SDK, which is what Nvidia is pushing for the games coming out this year, but MS is going to add it to DX itself so it's hardware agnostic (and also so companies like Netflix and other non-gaming applications can use it as well much more easily).

Here's the timestamp to the start of the HDR section of the video if you're curious to hear the entire portion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcDDvoauaz0&t=26m57s

My hope is that existing titles will get updates enabling HDR support, once it's available in DX and the OS next year.

I think it's safe to say that as soon as the functionality is added then it will be enabled for as many games as they can patch it in for.

LilJoka

Huge feature that you've never tested can't be that huge. This HDR thing seems exceedingly over blown.
I doubt any PC game is going to include HDR at this point in time as most PC users are on non-HDR monitors.

WaterAstro

Also, isn't the game tied to an account? I don't think there's going to be a separate code for PC when you buy the Xbone version.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that. That's literally selling two games in one as opposed to locking the game to an Windows account and making it available on both platforms.

That isn't really an argument, besides, HDR TVs aren't that expensive.

$60 is less expensive than whatever thousands or even hundreds of dollars, bro.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Isn't HDR a no go for gaming on most 4k Tv's due to the huge increase in input lag? I know the Samsung KS8000 has low input lag with HDR turned on, but isn't that one of the few tv's that does it right?

I have a 2016 LG tv with HDR (8500, needed IPS wide viewing angles for couches in room) but I suspect with HDR enabled it will be lag city.

55ms on x940c. More than playable.

Huge feature that you've never tested can't be that huge. This HDR thing seems exceedingly over blown.
I doubt any PC game is going to include HDR at this point in time as most PC users are on non-HDR monitors.

PC gaming is all about future proofing. Mine as well keep it as an option for those that do have HDR displays and want to run it

This is all funny. When crt went away a massive loss of picture quality was gone. Now they are getting closer back to where we were and they act like a new thing and brand it as a feature. I wonder what it would be like if crts stuck around.

Izuna

Banned
My dilemma is that I have a Mrs who games too on a separate TV, and ideally I'd like to buy Gears 4 on her Xbox and pinch the Windows code for myself......

Here is what you do.

Go to your Missus Xbox:
- Set YOURGAMERTAG to My Home Xbox on Missus Xbox

Go to YOUR Xbox:
- Set MissusGamertag to My Home Xbox on YOUR Xbox

~

If you buy it on Missus Gamertag ~~~~~ sign into her Gamertag on Store App on Windows (sign out of yourself). Download Gears Of War 4. Sign out of Missus Gamertag, sign back into YOUR GAMERTAG

Basically you can download Windows Store apps on up to 10 devices this way. You can't play them at the same time on the PC, but you can on the Xbox.

Now, if you want to play on your Xbox with Missus copy that you bought on the Xbox, it will work anyway, even if Missus isn't signed in. (You can use both Xboxes on Gears 4 at the same time).

If Missus wants to play her games on a 3rd Xbox, she just needs to be signed into Missus Gamertag.

Happy Holidays

so if it doesnt have HDR on PC thats a reason NOT to get a game? amazing

I don't think you read what I said properly. I'm buying it whatever, I just wanted it in 4K with HDR, but looks like sometime next year for support! Fucking amazing! Nice for PC's to be playing catchup to consoles again, been a while....:/

QD2zsqoUx9OPm.gif

This obsession with HDR because Sony keep using it as a buzzword needs to stop.

Here is what you do.

Go to your Missus Xbox:
- Set YOURGAMERTAG to My Home Xbox on Missus Xbox

Go to YOUR Xbox:
- Set MissusGamertag to My Home Xbox on YOUR Xbox

~

If you buy it on Missus Gamertag ~~~~~ sign into her Gamertag on Store App on Windows (sign out of yourself). Download Gears Of War 4. Sign out of Missus Gamertag, sign back into YOUR GAMERTAG

Basically you can download Windows Store apps on up to 10 devices this way. You can't play them at the same time on the PC, but you can on the Xbox.

Now, if you want to play on your Xbox with Missus copy that you bought on the Xbox, it will work anyway, even if Missus isn't signed in. (You can use both Xboxes on Gears 4 at the same time).

If Missus wants to play her games on a 3rd Xbox, she just needs to be signed into Missus Gamertag.

Happy Holidays

That's great man, thanks I'll do that, at least we can both use the Xbox version at the same time. I'll slum it occasionally on the PC ;)

jrcbandit

yowza, and I thought 6ms was bad for gaming.

If it's a competent version, I guarantee it'll sell considerably more than that on PC

I believe PC monitor listings and TV listings are different measurements. Most TVs that are deemed good for gaming have 20-30 ms of measured input lag (which the LG does have in non-HDR mode). Not sure what the equivalent will be if PC and TVs were measured the same, but PC monitors are typically listed as 1-5 ms response time instead of input lag measurements.

I believe PC monitor listings and TV listings are different measurements. Most TVs that are deemed good for gaming have 20-30 ms of measured input lag (which the LG does have in non-HDR mode). Not sure what the equivalent will be if PC and TVs were measured the same, but PC monitors are typically listed as 1-5 ms response time instead of input lag measurements.

I figured there was some piece of information I was missing. I'll have to dig deeper into that.

This obsession with HDR because Sony keep using it as a buzzword needs to stop.

Hmm? AMD and NVIDIA were talking about HDR on PC before Sony and Microsoft were for consoles.

It's just that there's games releasing soon which supports HDR, which is why a lot of people are interested in the support for it in PC Games.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Would it even be worth it? Anyway, that is good news to hear.

Bets on what version does better:

XB1: 500K WW in a week
W10: 10,000 - 100,000

Nobody wants to buy games on their shitty service, but it will still probably sell significantly more than this if it's a good port and the game is good. I have my doubts about both of those things coming to fruition though.

dsk1210

I don't think you read what I said properly. I'm buying it whatever, I just wanted it in 4K with HDR, but looks like sometime next year for support! Fucking amazing! Nice for PC's to be playing catchup to consoles again, been a while....:/

There's seems an agenda in your post. I am not sure what though.

What HDR console games are you playing just now out of interest?

Edit: sorry I thought I had merged the posts.

Top Bottom