• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 PC supporting HDR or not!?

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
Gears 4 has HDR on Xbox One S. It does not support it on PC. PC just started incorporating HDR support on cards recently and many monitors don't have the functionality.

The PC version does support full 4K, Ultrawide, etc.

dsk1210

Gears 4 has HDR on Xbox One S. It does not support it on PC. PC just started incorporating HDR support on cards recently and many monitors don't have the functionality.

Our TV'S that our PC is hooked to do support HDR though.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Blows my mind how people fall so easily into marketing.

Virtually no one cared about this at all before it became a buzzword, lol.

TheRed

I mean if I had a new 4K TV with it i would want it to be used on my expensive PC. Also I've always been waiting for OLED because the colors look so good, HDR being even better will be great because color is something I've always thought could be improved.
I don't really care about the buzzword but hell yeah I want what it does.

Now I'm just waiting for 4K OLED HDR 144 Hz GSYNC monitor I can afford :/ lol I'll still be waiting a long time before my upgrade.

dsk1210

I think even if you have HDRTV, Radeon 400s or Geforce 1000s, PC games still need to be updated.

I can run HDR right now on the latest nvidia drivers.

The meta data is already being processed in the xbone version i had hoped for HDR on the PC version as well.

expletive

People who knew about it cared before everyone else did. Its only a buzzword to people who have just found out about it through recent marketing efforts, for the rest of us its been a thing for a bit longer.

I would posit that buzzwords create demand and in cases like this that demand helps technology become adopted faster.

When companies choose to support or back any form of technology they generally show it in their advertising on a level comparative to either their investment in it or their perceived value of said tech to the consumer. You could say that any word used to describe a new feature of a product is a "buzzword." In this case it happens to be something actually beneficial at little to no cost power wise, only needing a patch to enable on devices that support it, consoles, GPU's, etc.

I see no problem with it even if the tech is relatively niche at the moment. It is something that is going to be really easy to make a standard as it is adopted and display tech matures even further, unlike a lot of other stuff. It's also going to get even better after the tech does eventually become standard because devs are going to start developing their games with HDR in mind.

I know you gave the excuse that PC monitors don't have HDR yet but since TV's do and a lot of PC gamers play on them, I think it might be wise of you to expound upon this. I think a lot of people have the idea that an HDR patch for a game is easy to implement. I don't know if that is true or not but if it is true then I don't think it would be too much to ask for one. I know that UWP needs to support it first though, do you have a timeframe on that?

Outrun

With the PC supposedly being the ultimate gaming machine, you'd be forgiven for thinking that a game releasing on console (Xbox One) would also be releasing on PC and have exactly the same graphical features and then some right?......

Well now we pretty much know that Forza Horizon 3 on the PC will not launch with HDR, which for the life of me I can't figure out why when the hard work is done, to then just leave it out.

So what of Gears 4? As far as I can tell it isn't going to have HDR on the PC, The Coalition have listed all these amazing features, but HDR has never been mentioned from what I've read, can anyone tell me different?

My dilemma is that I have a Mrs who games too on a separate TV, and ideally I'd like to buy Gears 4 on her Xbox and pinch the Windows code for myself......but I'd then be missing out on a huge feature I'm dying to test out IF Gears 4 on PC doesn't have HDR, so if it doesn't I guess I'd just buy myself the Xbox copy for my S, but then the Mrs won't get a free copy as she doesn't play PC games.

I just wish MS and others would make things more clear as to what you are actually buying sometimes, makes it very difficult.

The excellent horde mode is better than HDR.

I am sorry if you were expecting HDR though. I doubt that anything that is said can assuage your grief.

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
Recently? Nvidia 900 series which support HDR launched two years ago.

Well there some TVs that support HDR. The same TVs that owners of Xbox One S will play Gears Of War 4 with HDR. Many of us we have our PC connected to these TVs.

I agree some PC users connect into HDR tvs but as of now we do not have support for it. We may incorporate it in a later update though if demand grows.

Jamex RZ

Banned
Isn't HDR a no go for gaming on most 4k Tv's due to the huge increase in input lag? I know the Samsung KS8000 has low input lag with HDR turned on, but isn't that one of the few tv's that does it right?

I have a 2016 LG tv with HDR (8500, needed IPS wide viewing angles for couches in room) but I suspect with HDR enabled it will be lag city.

Check rtings.com input lag test list. That lg has about 34 ms lag in game mode, and about 60 ms with hdr mode even in game mode, so that sucks. Hopefully lg would release an update for you for lower lag. Samsung has updated it for most of their 2016 line up, not just the 8000s and they are about 20 ms so good.

QD2zsqoUx9OPm.gif

This obsession with HDR because Sony keep using it as a buzzword needs to stop.

People are salty that new display technology is happening?

Where was all the upset when we went from 16-bit to 32-bit colour? I missed it?

I feel like I'm going crazy seeing people acting like HDR is just a "buzzword". It creates a real, discernible difference in the image. It's not some 'bullshit' PR scheme.

I feel like I'm going crazy seeing people acting like HDR is just a "buzzword". It creates a real, discernible difference in the image. It's not some 'bullshit' PR scheme.

It is bs, it is called contrast. Most of the time overexposed. The problem is when LCDs came around we lost contrast about 15 years ago. Now since plasmas and CRTs are gone, there's nothing else you can compare in the store.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It is bs, it is called contrast. Most of the time overexposed. The problem is when LCDs came around we lost contrast about 15 years ago. Now since plasmas and CRTs are gone, there's nothing else you can compare in the store.
It's displaying more colors. That's what HDR is. Not overdone dynamic contrast.

Yo Jabs, you should watch this vid man. It explains a lot. It's about more than just amount of colors and contrast but also about the isolation of brightness with no/minimal bleeding as well some other things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcDDvoauaz0&t=26m57s

Paz

This is such a pointless sentiment, nobody cared about 1080p until it was a thing, nobody cared about 4K until it was a thing, nobody cared about g sync until it was a thing, nobody cared about 144hz until it was a thing, of course nobody cared about HDR until it was a thing.

Now that it is a thing, and displays support it, and games support it, and movies support it, of course people care.

Last I checked 1 billion is factually more than 16 million.
Amount of colors in 10-bit vs 8-bit

You're saying as 10-bit is not available on Crt or Plasmas?

Last I checked it was.

Edit: I'm gonna leave the rest of this alone. I wasn't trying to pick a fight.

Orayn

What's with this weird narrative that Sony is "pushing" HDR as a buzzword? No idea where it comes from. MS featured it plenty with the reveal of the One S.

Drain You

What's with this weird narrative that Sony is "pushing" HDR as a buzzword? No idea where it comes from. MS featured it plenty with the reveal of the One S.

My only guess is that because Sony is selling so much better this gen more people are listening to them over MS, other than that I have no clue, but I agree, kinda strange.

wbEMX

People are salty that new display technology is happening?

Where was all the upset when we went from 16-bit to 32-bit colour? I missed it?

Just like those damn talkies taking over all the multiplexes! When will it stop?!

And those damn wide screens. I can't even see the whole picture in the theatre, damn it! Give me my square screen!

For those buzzword people: In all honesty, go to your local electronics store and look at HDR comparison demos. That stuff basically sells you on HDR instantly.

Top Bottom