• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4: Ultimate Edition appears; Early Access four days before launch

AnnSwag

angry @ Blu-Ray's success
Gears of War 4: Ultimate Edition has appeared on the New Zealand Xbox Store.

x82eJhE.jpg

Source

Kalentan

"One year of unlimited access to new maps", so wait, would you need to BUY the maps after a year to play them in customs?

xRaizen

This is a new one. I really hope this doesn't set a precedent to pay more money to be able to play games earlier. Disgusting.

"One year of unlimited access to new maps", so wait, would you need to BUY the maps after a year to play them in customs?

I was going to say maybe they mean any maps after that wouldn't be included for free, but thinking about it more that's some really... interesting wording.

That is a good question as it seems so. Which is disgusting, how about they just give all the maps if you buy the season pass like every other developer??

Messi

The early access thing isn't new for games. EA does it with Access. 2K did it with NBA2K this year with early tip off and I believe Activision did it for COD too.

It says in the description that the Season Pass grants access to play the additional 24 maps in Private Games on Dedicated Servers. We already knew you had to buy the DLC Maps in order to play them in Private/Custom Games. The actual maps are all free for match making.

So we're really going to have to rent the maps for customs? Ehhhhh

Edit: Or not? Sort of? "permanent ownership" implies there is also impermanent ownership...

xRaizen

The early access thing isn't new for games. EA does it with Access. 2K did it with NBA2K this year with early tip off and I believe Activision did it for COD too.

Don't know about how 2K did it, but you didn't have to pay a cent more for CoD AW "Day Zero Edition". As for EA, it's included with Access, you don't have to buy the game to get that early access and you even get a discount when you buy the game.

MS seems to be charging more just for early access.

Warxard

Banned
Also adding to this ""permanent DLC map ownership of over 24 additional maps for private play on dedicated servers"

Like, what?

It's pretty clear.

All maps will be free in public match rotation. So that way in public matchmaking there will be no segregation between communities.

Private matches, there needs to be at least one owner of the DLC maps to play in private matches.

--

US Pricing will be $89.99 but it won't take long for reactionary GAF to not consider that New Zealand has expensive ass game prices.

The whole map situation is dumb as hell. There's going to be "24 maps" but every month they're phasing out maps in some sort of dumb rotation. Why can't we play with ALL maps all the time? Why even bother to learn the layout and playstyle of a map if they plan on eliminating it from use in 2 months?

breadtruck

Also adding to this ""permanent DLC map ownership of over 24 additional maps for private play on dedicated servers"

Like, what?

So this was covered on the twitch stream this morning.

Basically they will be adding new maps for free (all new dlc maps are free) and pulling out maps that arent as popular as they add the new ones. (They may re-release them later though if they rework them and see if the community likes it any better.)

If you want to still play these pulled maps on private servers, you gotta buy them.

Isn't that the price in NZ $? Converting to USD = 102 so itll be $99.99 in the US then I guess.

Most likely. The only thing that would be worth it would be the ability to play it 4 days early. The skins don't matter to me and I don't play Private/Custom games, so I will only be playing the new maps for free in match making anyway. I'll also probably be knee deep in Final Fantasy XV still by that point (I'll have 10 days to play through FFXV before Gears 4 launches).

wapplew

I love how publisher come up with new idea to make more money, very creative.
As long as it doesn't fragment the users, I don't see much problem.

Guess that's one way to get people to go digital. Also not sure how I feel about them doing VIP playlists again. It did not work at all in Judgement.

breadtruck

Still not getting the "permanent" line. What's the temporary alternative then?

You dont play the maps that are not popular and rotated out of the playlist.

Popular maps stay in the playlist, the less popular ones get pulled. If you want to continue playing the community-shunned maps, you have to buy them.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Still not getting the "permanent" line. What's the temporary alternative then?

There is no temporary alternative. You either play for free via the playlists online, or you buy the maps to play them privately whenever you want. Only one person needs to buy the maps, anyone can join them and play private matches for free.

They most likely put the permanent line to ensure that people know that your maps don't go away as maps get removed from the online playlist rotations.

xRaizen

Remember when Gears was good and the maps were free? Like 10 years ago?
They only gave Raven Down for free, I remember paying for the DLC maps.

Edit: I stand corrected, they made the DLC maps free 4 months after they released. Totally forgot.

ViciousDS

Banned
Don't know about how 2K did it, but you didn't have to pay a cent more for CoD AW "Day Zero Edition". As for EA, it's included with Access, you don't have to buy the game to get that early access and you even get a discount when you buy the game.

MS seems to be charging more just for early access.

Yes, 2k is just a pre order incentive..... Nothing else

malfcn

US store:

Bundle Description:Gears of War 4 Ultimate Edition is your gateway to Early Access for Gears of War 4, allowing you to download and start playing Friday, October 7 – four days before the game’s standard release date.

A new saga begins for one of the most acclaimed video game franchises in history. After narrowly escaping an attack on their village, JD Fenix and his friends, Kait and Del, must rescue the ones they love and discover the source of a monstrous new enemy. Includes the base game, Season Pass and pre-order bonuses Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Character Pack for use in Gears of War: Ultimate Edition and an exclusive Vintage Del character for use in Gears of War 4 multiplayer modes. Season Pass includes the exclusive Vintage VIP Pack, unlimited map access, early access to an exclusive VIP playlist and six Gear Packs.

*Pre-order bonus offers available with pre-orders made prior to, or on October 11, 2016, on Xbox Store, Xbox.com, or at participating retailers. Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Character Pack is playable only with the Gears of War: Ultimate Edition game. To access your Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Character Pack, search for “Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Character Pack” on the Xbox Store and download from the details page. Vintage Del character skin will be unlocked at launch and is playable with Gears of War 4 game. Early Access to Gears of War 4: Ultimate Edition will be available starting Friday October 7, 2016. Requires broadband internet to download, and 70-80 GB of hard drive space. Offer not available in Japan or China.

$99.99

Top Bottom