• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears (of War) 6 wants and wishes

Do you want to see them continue the Kait/JD/Del story arc?

• Yes

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 48 66.7%

• Total voters

hello505

I'm likeable
images

Gears 6 is pretty much a given, I want something with an entirely new movement system, new shooting mechanics, better gore, horror elements, destructibility, a well told story and epic Uncharted and Rockstar like set pieces for campaign. Have it be 8-14 hours. I want to see the continuation or conclusion to the Kait/JD/Del story.

For multiplayer, I hope they take away air bouncing and limit it to wall bouncing like the original. Make maps darker and foreboding not colourful shit like training grounds and reclaimed.

What do you want from the Coalition?

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
No more Kait, Del and JD. Make a prequel about the Pendulum Wars or something. Anything but a continuation of Gears 4 and 5. Won't happen, but one can dream.

For MP I want more remade maps from Gears 2.

Also, don't mess with the controls. Judgment tried and failed horribly.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I want them to ditch the over the shoulder tank system. They are making changes elsewhere but the combat still feels rooted in 2006. It started feeling dated in Gears 3 back in 2011, it's simply not good enough today. They can still create the heavy feel of it without making me feel immobile like a tank.

I also dont think shooting weapons is fun anymore in this series. Enemies have become tanks. Weapons again feel dated. It's been 16 years. Surely its time to switch things up a bit. I really wanted to like Gears 5. I liked what they did with the semi-open worlds, but I just dont think the moment to moment gameplay is doing it for me anymore. And I loved Gears 1 and Gears 2. But if you asked me to play my favorite games from 2008, I would simply refuse to play MGSV and GTA4 with those mechanics.

Other than that, I am done with small scale skirmishes. Thats so last gen. Please give me 10 or even 5 two hour massive battle setpieces. Thats what a war game should be on next gen consoles. I dont ever want to fight people in a small arena room again.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I want a complete overhaul/reboot.

Let’s get back to more of a horror feel.
No more telegraphed set pieces of waist high barriers and glowing ammo pickups to let you know there’s about to be a combat scenario. Let’s have some verticality too.
Faster paced combat, with dashes, and a few melee weapons. How about a chainsaw sword or something?

I’d also like new monsters and guns that feel like they have some weight.

Last edited:
It's simple: back to the b-movie horror atmosphere, no woke nonsense, no new enemies (locust-only, which can have as many new shit as they like).

More open-arenas mixed in with linear parts. You know, just like 1 and 3 are.

And while we're at it: give us 1-3 remastered on pc (just port them all in UE5).

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Haven't really followed the story since GOW 3 (got boring after that) but what I want is for GOW 6 to be a graphical marvel.

GOW 1 back in the day was really an amazing show of what Unreal 3 could do.

Remember how mind-blowing this was at the time (the final game didn't quite look as good but was still mighty impressive).

Especially because it is (is it?) using Unreal 5. Perfect opportunity for Xbox to show it and then Phil Spencer to come out and say, with a slight smile on his face...

"Turns out we believe in generations"

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I personally think they should add a jump button for every chracter and expand the gameplay, and have different traits for the different characters you play, fenix can have more classic gears gameplay, maybe a new lighter male character can have uncharted 4 like gameplay, and kate can have a stealth gameplay.

anthony2690

Banned
Do what you want with the campaign, take risks there, shake things up, to freshen the game up a little.

But multiplayer I want to feel like the 5 but with refinements/improvements where they can be added/implemented.

Also for the love of god, get rid of "wrap shots" they look stupid, as the shot comes from the centre of your screen and not your gun.

Not only does it look stupid, it isn't good for spectators (then again hyperbouncers make spectating gears eSports rough, it's different when you're playing yourself though, love playing the game, not watching it)

But also every encounter turns into wrap shots or up a's to counter, it takes away the fun of the duel.

(Plus if you're a newer player getting killed by it, you're just going to think the game is buggy/laggy, or the other person is cheating & drop the game)

As you get killed at a stupid angle whilst the other dude has there back to you running away :')

Also carry over, how the gears 5 store ended up, they nailed it in the end, where you can pay for premium cosmetics, but a week later you can unlock them with in game currency for free.
Gears 5 had a lot off cool unlocks and felt rewarding to play (till they killed the rank system and changed it to competitive)

I use to enjoy getting masters rank every season on every mode if possible, but then they changed it so only the top 1000 players would get the cosmetic skins, I dropped the game then, as I didn't play enough to unlock them.

Bit off a wall off text, that won't interest many.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Server based multiplayer instead of p2p, fix gnasher registration/bullet spread issues to ensure online MP is fair. Without those 2 issues being resolved, the game will never be competitive or fair.

Fredrik

The continuation of JD’s ending.
Marcus has lost enough. Good guy Del needs to go.

Jungle and wilderness instead of city ruins.

More enemy types.

No robots. Or mechs.

Environmental destruction.

Camera further away. Or even top down like in The Ascent.

TheSweeper

I didn't care for Gears 1-3. I played through 4 and 5. I liked the less brown more colorful look of the newer games and also generally prefer games with a female lead character.

So for Gears 6 I'd be happy with a continuation of Gears 5. Just a fun, good-looking game is all I want.

Jaybe

Please subvert my expectations and kill Kait within the first hour, preferably with whatever sporting good is popular in their universe.

No open world.

I truly think think should wrap up whatever story they were trying to tell with a 2 to 3 hour linear episode and get a platform down for 5 years of great multiplayer in place, make it F2P or $10 or whatever, but all classic maps, skins, horde mode types and evolve from there.

splattered

I dont mind the current story up till the end, i wish they would back track on the ending of Gears 5. Everything can be upgraded as they see fit in UE5, that's fine... just find a way or decide to change ending of previous title leading into Gears 6 please. Open world could be ok too as long as they expand on it and make it feel not so barren at points.

Valt7786

Put Marcus back as the main character. I'd put money on him dying by the end, so if he does I wanna be the one playing him right until the end. If it's a halfway point then put me in control of JD, not Kait. Bring back all the old weapons they left out of 5. Bring back the locust. Bring back the old levels of gore, when I chainsaw a MF I dont wanna see red jelly, i want my bits of guts and bone n shit like it had all the way back in GoW 1.
Don't skimp on character selection for the multiplayer either, keep Horde as it is with some improvements but dont go back to that shitty class system.

Not that I want a lot or anything...

old-parts

I always felt gears ended in xbox 360 era not just the story but the appeal for those kind of shooters.

They soft rebooted the story game and it looks pretty but is ultimately dull (not bad just uninspired), I really don't know what they can do to make gears 6 exciting.

Outriders is what the gameplay of gears should have been change it up a bit.

nivix

Neo Member
Chainsaw all the Gears kids to bits and pieces in the first 30 seconds. Give it a darker, Gothic horror feel, with all kinds of new monsters. Bring back a younger, sexier Marcus for my girlfriend. Pretend those stupid robots never existed. Add a new multiplayer mode; don't be afraid to take inspiration from the newer, more popular modes from other games.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
No OpenWorld:
My number 1 request, the openworld slowed down everything and felt completely unnecessary.
I didnt mind the hub world and if they need to slow things down for exposition and world building or whatever, then use the hub world for that.

Much tighter action sections........huge huge set pieces with "breaks" between.
A good cutscene between stages and im sorted.

Basically finish the Swarm/Locust/Kait story but tell it/play it like im going through HiveBusters.

The Coalition B team can work on a new Gears IP that plays differnt to Gears actual, maybe with smaller/lighter characters who are more agile but generally weaker than COG soldiers so its much scarier for them to meet Locust.

Bartski

Gold Member
More mobility, tactical destruction, physics. Gears 1 vibes with grumpy violent bro brutes chainsawing shit. Horror. Tons of in-your-face gore and big-ass shotguns. Explosions.
Minimal story. The sheer idea of the Locust is so stupid it any lore just makes it worse. No dramatic heroics. And no chest-high walls whatsoever for crying out loud.

I really don't see the point unless full reboot but then why not make new IP instead? This franchise needs God of War 2018 treatment, back to the drawing board, starting from cutting and redesigning every mechanic in the game that was fresh in 2006.

What we're most likely getting tho is another bloated cover shooter that looks pretty but is more of the same. After 5 games I'm honestly done but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I really like the current story so far. I like the open world. I like Jack, in fact I like the entire crew ............................. except Kait. They need to find a way to make her somewhat likable or at least not so annoying.
More of the Hivebusters, please.
Yes, definitely more Hivebusters and do NOT kill off Marcus.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
If the Coalition continues to feed us the same tired thing, I don’t see a point in continuing the franchise. It’s been boring and by the numbers for long enough. It’s also been outclassed by other third person shooters that make it look like an outdated slog.

Goalus

Put Marcus back as the main character. I'd put money on him dying by the end, so if he does I wanna be the one playing him right until the end. If it's a halfway point then put me in control of JD, not Kait. Bring back all the old weapons they left out of 5. Bring back the locust. Bring back the old levels of gore, when I chainsaw a MF I dont wanna see red jelly, i want my bits of guts and bone n shit like it had all the way back in GoW 1.
Don't skimp on character selection for the multiplayer either, keep Horde as it is with some improvements but dont go back to that shitty class system.

Not that I want a lot or anything...
Indeed, you do not even seem to want a new game. You rather want to play the old games over and over again. They are readily available, so go ahead. I just don't understand why we need a new game that is exactly like the old games.

My wish:
Finish the current story arc. Don't cut anything that was part of the original storyboard.

**Edit: Having said that, DO NOT force woke identity politics into the story that weren't part of the original vision just to score ESG points.**

Then let the IP rest for a few years perhaps (or make a spinoff like Judgment or Tactics dedicated to an interesting event/character to pad the lore - Adam Fenix/Helena Stroud during the Pendulum Wars, Sid Redburn's time at New Hope for example).
In the future (Gears 7 or 8) I'd like humans and locust to become friends because they have to work together against a completely new threat.

Last edited:

Alex11

To just continue with their original vision story wise. I`m tired and annoyed with companies trying to please every single one of us, have some f*****g balls, stick to your vision, to your ideas, that`s what makes you, well, YOU.

Gameplay wise, sure, it`s a bit dated, I can see people wanting a bit of something else. Even so, I liked Gears 5 more than 4, of course it`s impossible to ever reach again GOW 2 levels, because, well that already happened.

That`s IMO an issue for the last decade or so in gaming, we are caught in a weird bubble not knowing what we want from our favourite franchise. We want it to be the same, but different, or new but with the same feeling. I think we`re becoming too self entitled and it seems nothing could ever please us, and it`s a shame, too many great franchises ended because of this, or at least partly because of this.

Last edited:
images

Gears 6 is pretty much a given, I want something with an entirely new movement system, new shooting mechanics, better gore, horror elements, destructibility, a well told story and epic Uncharted and Rockstar like set pieces for campaign. Have it be 8-14 hours. I want to see the continuation or conclusion to the Kait/JD/Del story.

For multiplayer, I hope they take away air bouncing and limit it to wall bouncing like the original. Make maps darker and foreboding not colourful shit like training grounds and reclaimed.

What do you want from the Coalition?
Yeah the snap into cover is just old hat now, but Gears is so deeply rooted in that gameplay loop would it even be Gears without it? 🤔

Indeed, you do not even seem to want a new game. You rather want to play the old games over and over again. They are readily available, so go ahead. I just don't understand why we need a new game that is exactly like the old games.
This is the age old catch-22 situation of franchises like Gears of War and why it's stuck exactly where it is. Some fans want the old thing back and some fans want changes to be similar to other franchises(like adding open world). You lean too hard into either side and people complain. You try to attempt both and play it too safe, you end up with people saying your game is too boring.

The best option I've seen is to get a visionary like Cory Barlog, not listen to what fans want, and just take a chance and drive things towards a drastic new direction.

What we are want.

Complete overhaul of the gameplay
Complete overhaul of the art style, graphics
No females leads please, this game is all about the macho, look how well top gun maverick is doing.
No woke please, keeps gays and trans on the bbc and the cw.
No fucking robots

What we are going to get

Same gameplay
Same graphics and art style
All female leads
Full on woke, even the bad guys will be trans, our female leads will lead a army to fight for trans rights or some shit.
And trans robots, can’t forget them

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Robots are fine, but they need to change how the damage occurs, like having pieces shear off the robots more violently or something like that, with different sound effects, cause right now it feels like shooting a wall.

I don't mind Kait or JD, but the queen story is not working, something different needs to happen with the story, different writers. No....fucking.....humor. It's not funny, it's not fucking working.

If they gonna do open areas, they can't just slap together a big circle with different missions around the edges. It needs to feel like a real place, it needs cars and stuff. Flying would be cool.

More story about the world and universe. A lot of people still don't know if you are fighting on Earth or not. After 6 games.

Running needs to stop feeling like you run in a line like an idiot.

More variation in encounters, you see the kill-rooms coming from a mile away. Change things up.

Valt7786

My wish:
Finish the current story arc. Don't cut anything that was part of the original storyboard.

**Edit: Having said that, DO NOT force woke identity politics into the story that weren't part of the original vision just to score ESG points.**

Then let the IP rest for a few years perhaps (or make a spinoff like Judgment or Tactics dedicated to an interesting event/character to pad the lore - Adam Fenix/Helena Stroud during the Pendulum Wars, Sid Redburn's time at New Hope for example).
In the future (Gears 7 or 8) I'd like humans and locust to become friends because they have to work together against a completely new threat.

Er, no. I want a continuation that feels like the series I enjoy, not toned down "comedy" with Sera's version of Gen Z's.

Top Bottom