• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Hits 1 Million Units Sold and Shoots to #1 on Xbox Live

GhaleonEB

PR just out - thanks CPaladino. I thought this deserved it's own thread.

Gears of War Hits 1 Million Units Sold and Shoots to #1 on Xbox Live

More than 85 Percent of Players Connect to Xbox Live, Driving New Gold Memberships by 50 Percent

As “Gears of War” continues to emerge throughout the world ahead of the holiday sales rush, the Xbox 360 juggernaut has sold an impressive 1 million copies world-wide in just its first two weeks of release—elevating the game to the fastest-selling title of 2006 and fastest-selling original Xbox game of all time.

The battle continues to rage on Xbox Live as well, as more than 850,000 unique gamers have engaged in 10 million gameplay sessions while unlocking an impressive 7 million Achievements. On top of being the #1 title on Xbox Live, “Gears of War” has also driven new members to the network, as paid registrations per day have skyrocketed more than 50 percent since the game’s launch.

Propelling its rise to popularity, Gears of War has been crowned the best next generation game of the year by over 45 publications, earning a 95 percent average review score as tracked by www.gamerankings.com. Critics everywhere overwhelmingly agree and have united to make “Gears of War” one of the best-reviewed games of all time.

“From the very beginning, we knew ‘Gears of War’ would be an industry-defining hit,” said Shane Kim, corporate vice president at Microsoft Game Studios. “As we watched both the game and its hype grow, it became obvious that ‘Gears of War’ was the rare title that could live up to such incredible anticipation, and judging from the reaction of critics and fans, it’s done just that.”

http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2006/11/21/539037.aspx

Wow 50 percent increase in Xbox Live Gold subscriptions is substantial. Now we need to know how much Gears boosted hardware sales.

IJoel

HA, I just called it this morning in that other thread! :p

Well deserved sales. CliffyB is holding up his 'playa' title quite well. Bling bling galore!

border

Karma Kramer said:
Wow 50 percent increase in Xbox Live Gold subscriptions is substantial.
"New subscriptions" are up 50%, not the total number of subscriptions.

I wonder what the Halo 3 Beta will do though :D

jedimike

Can someone at MS quantify the 85% statement.... is that 85% of Xbox owners, 360 owners, or Gears of War owners? Either way, it's damn impressive.

cvxfreak

How can Gears be the fastest selling game of 2006 worldwide when FFXII and Pokemon DP were released in Japan earlier and achieved higher numbers in a shorter time frame? Unless fastest selling in 2006 refers to the US or Europe.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
cvxfreak said:
How can Gears be the fastest selling game of 2006 worldwide when FFXII and Pokemon DP were released in Japan earlier and achieved higher numbers in a shorter time frame? Unless fastest selling in 2006 refers to the US or Europe.

It's the fastest selling Gears of War title in 2006!

Congrats, Epic, on your success.

GhaleonEB

jedimike said:
Can someone at MS quantify the 85% statement.... is that 85% of Xbox owners, 360 owners, or Gears of War owners? Either way, it's damn impressive.
It says 85% connected to Live, and then later 850k unique users played over Live. So I think it's referring to the proportion of Gears owners who have played online.

GhaleonEB

cvxfreak said:
Gears is not out in Japan, so they're probably talking US/Europe.

FightyF

Banned
jedimike said:

85% of Gears owners.

cvxfreak: the wording states it's the fastest selling because it sold a million within two weeks worldwide. So they could be mistaken. How much did Pokemon and FF sell? Considering their respective console/handheld userbase size...they could easily break GoW's record.

Dahbomb

FFXII sold like in the range of 2 million in about a week or so in Japan.

^^ That's to the guy asking for FFXIInumbers.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Well... what else are they gonna buy?

mm04

rage1973 said:
Very impressive and very well deserved for my GOTY.
Someone bring up that old thread about Gears of War sales predictions so we can have people eat some crows.

Oh, yes. Somebody bump that thread or something. I remember a few people in there saying that CoD3 was going to beat it out in sales. Get on it, stat!

mm04

Striek

Interesting. What were the first-month sales of Fable for comparison (highest selling Xbox IP other than Halo)?

brocke

Banned
Gahiggidy said:
Well... what else are they gonna buy?

nothing. that's an element in the increased sales of gears of war soo fast. there just weren't enough mass market appealing games before gears came along for the 360.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Can someone please find the Gears sales prediction thread and start handing out some much deserved crow.

K thx bye

jimbo

Banned
AlanHemberger said:
Can I use that same line when we get the sales numbers for Zelda?

Well if you did, there would be a lot more truth to that statement in that scenario than in this one;)...unfortunatelly you would get banned.

mood

jetjevons said:
Can someone please find the Gears sales prediction thread and start handing out some much deserved crow.

K thx bye

Yeah, where are the people that thought COD3 would sell better than gears? :D

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Crow eating is inevitable on this one. This is really good news for the epic/ms alliance, all it takes is one big game (ala kotor and the bioware situation).

Woot ! I just got the game in my letter box ! (23rd november release date here in australia).

brocke

Banned
Resident Guru said:
I think you're confusing Gears with Resistance my friend.

nah they both fit in the same category. the other fps's on 360 were not targeted at the mass market. too many overly tactical shooters.

Gears is totally not my kind of game, but I bought it and I've fallen in love with it. They've just got everything about it right, it manages to be so accessible it's unbelievable. I'm not good at your action shooters, but I never get frustrated here, and I always feel like I'm in complete control. Never owned an Epic game before, but those boys done good.

Mar

I just realised what this will mean. If this is indeed accurate then Gears will have sold better than Zelda (and Resistance obviously). So top marks to Microsoft. They planned this one perfectly to take some sting out of the Wii and PS3 launch.

deano486

With gears of war in europe you were given a free 48 hour xbox live gold trial card. You got one with call of duty 3 as well.

raYne

Didn't someone bet a ban/their accounts contrary to these numbers? Less than 500k or something?

Come on Wario, do your job. ;)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
ethelred said:
Yes, but they said "worldwide."

Japan is, last I checked, in the "world."
Typical Microsoft PR bullshit, what do you expect when their console is a less than stellar smash in Japan?

deano486 said:
With gears of war in europe you were given a free 48 hour xbox live gold trial card. You got one with call of duty 3 as well.
It specifically says "Paid Subscriptions"

Live still doesn't count you as a Gold member with the cards. you can't download the Gold only demos and whatnot.

dyls

elevating the game to the fastest-selling title of 2006 and fastest-selling original Xbox game of all time.

Neither part of this makes any sense. But who cares, it's a hit, and deserves to be. I just can't believe we haven't seen any 'shipped vs. sold' comments yet.

Well deserved, this game delivered on it's hype, something I didn't expect. In fact I wasnt going to get the game, I'm glad I did though I'm addicted.

Top Bottom