• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Judgement |OT| Brothers from the beginning, Bros till the end

madmackem

Played for the last few days and have about 50+ matches of MP and I've not had any lag, no problems with hit detection nor have the nades been over powered (Easy to bounce away from). Same thing for three of my other friends.

Seems like you are having connection issues.

I shiouldnt have had the party i was in the lowest connection between us is 80/20 meg.

DaNcaKe

My major gripes with the MP are:
1) The two piece. Damn, why did they re-introduce this into the game? You can be in the middle of a shotgun fight and then, bam, you get hit with an elbow and you're practically statuesque for an easy kill. If you haven't experienced somebody who is pretty efficient with it yet, then trust me; you don't want to. It's a game breaker.

2) Lack of maps. 8, 4+4, 8 (+2), say it however you like. The fact that they shipped this game with 4 maps for the majority of gametypes is nothing less than a disaster. What were they thinking? Gears 3 had a decent amount of maps on launch, and Gears 2 had a decent number + the flashback maps on launch. I'm bored already of the multiplayer because I'm sick of playing the same maps over and over. Yes I know free maps are coming but if I've just shelled out full price for this game, I don't want to be bored just after a day.

It feels like a Gears at it's core, or at least what Gears has become as the franchise evolved, but I can't help but feel short changed by the lack of content. One of my favourite weapons, the classic HB? DLC. Double XP? DLC. A majority of the character skins? DLC. A majority of the weapon skins? MSP.

On the plus side, it's nice to be reminded of what Gears can play like on a low-latency server, them dedis are one of the few reasons I keep going back for more.

Now that really sounds like my kind of game. Especially as one of the last high profile exclusives. That and I liked what People can Fly did with Bulletstorm.
Same, so I think you'll really dig it. Its like somebody listened to my wishlist for Horde (alternating offense and defense instead of pure defense) and Left 4 Dead (better AI, more viable soloing, more enemy variety, better use of environments) and made a new Gears campaign out of it. There's nothing else out there quite like this. And while the writing isn't stellar, there is a story here, and on replays you can see that its no more thrown together than previous Gears campaigns. Its a team of four, on foot, moving across the city with clear goals in mind.

Given the timeline I was hoping there would be
Kryll in the campaign though, or at least some alternate take on the night missions from Gears 1. But they probably didn't mesh with the pace of the rest of the campaign.

JimiNutz

Banned
Was thinking about this game today after beating it yesterday and if I had to rank the campaigns, I'd say:

1>J>2>3

MP for me is:

1>3>2

So itll be interesting to see how Judgment fits in once I get around to playing it.

If the only multiplayer I care about is co-op campaign, survival, and overrun...is the VIP pass worth it? I'm not sure what they're planning on releasing in the future, which is why I'm asking.

Also, the double xp only works in the vip playlists, which only include the multiplayer game modes right? (tdm, dom, ffa etc..)

educator

Survival is like horde but it is 10 way more intense waves.

I enjoyed the demo and some of the tweaks - like switching between weapons (easier now), and throwing grenades went smoother too. I have all previous Gears games, but im not a hardcore so I might be picking this up. Just a bit sad that they left out the original Horde, but survival seems fine.

Aske

Campaign is so, so good on Insane. Perfectly doable solo, BTW. Far easier than, say, Gears 2.

Purely in terms of gameplay, I'd rank the campaigns:

1>J>3>2>A

Judgment's pacing and level design are that good. Aftermath is great, but it's not that ambitious, and doesn't make up for the lack of spectacle with quite the same tightness as Judgment. 2 had some of the weakest moments of any campaign, but there was plenty of great content to atone for them. Aftermath is more consistent, but less satisfying.

MjFrancis

The only thing about the Gears 1 campaign is that the AI is docile and years behind the advancements made later in the series. Insane in Gears 1 doesn't challenge you nearly so often as Insane does in the later entries. You can hang out behind cover in Gears 1 and you will almost never get rushed, even on Insane.

The best thing the Gears 1 campaign has going for it is the visuals and atmosphere that was darker and more horror-inspired. I missed that aesthetic in the other games.

This has a campaign in the same way that Left 4 Dead had a campaign. Only this one is perfectly playable solo, offers far more variety across the board, has more direct storytelling and has a very detailed scoring, ranking and progression system.

After three Gears games, its nice to get one that plays like a high octane "Best of", without all the forced slow walks and on rails sections.

Same, so I think you'll really dig it. Its like somebody listened to my wishlist for Horde (alternating offense and defense instead of pure defense) and Left 4 Dead (better AI, more viable soloing, more enemy variety, better use of environments) and made a new Gears campaign out of it. There's nothing else out there quite like this. And while the writing isn't stellar, there is a story here, and on replays you can see that its no more thrown together than previous Gears campaigns. Its a team of four, on foot, moving across the city with clear goals in mind.

Given the timeline I was hoping there would be
Kryll in the campaign though, or at least some alternate take on the night missions from Gears 1. But they probably didn't mesh with the pace of the rest of the campaign.
Agree with all of this, especially the bolded! This campaign is just high octane action firing on all cylinders all the time without removing control from the player and I'm having a blast with it.

Maaan, I love this game ha. Just played from the beginning to the beginning of Paduk's testimonial. I love it, I love that it just zones in on the combat and that you can properly sink into an encounter, and have some real hair raising moments.

The declassified stuff is great, I've already used some stuff I would never usually use, although it has cockblocked me from using the new weapons a few times, I want a good shot of the sightless snipe rifle. Two favs so far have to be
the one where the room is all dusty. Sadly playing alone so my ai partners kept getting downed, but it was very cool
and
the gas in the school labs making everything wavey

The story doesn't seem especially compelling so far, but I do really like Paduk ha, I could take more of that guy in the future. I especially like
that he's in the aftermath teaser

Not touched multi yet, not even sure if I can. It's a rental and I haven't checked the pass situation yet, but I'm loving it.

ZeMMiK

I like overrun and survival.
I like the new handgranate method.

I really mis the domination with 1 ring.
I miss TDM with locust enemies and executions.
I hate the fact that there are only 4 maps!

RedSwirl

On my first run through I'm playing on hardcore (always done that for Gears) AND trying to do all the classified missions. Advisable? So far only the second one (the time limit one) was really annoying.

RedSwirl

On my first run through I'm playing on hardcore (always done that for Gears) AND trying to do all the classified missions. Advisable? So far only the second one (the time limit one) was really annoying.

By the way I'm doing this solo. Is it advisable to do declassified on the first run through?

Trying to do all the declassified missions and getting 3 stars on Insane solo is so fucking hard, Jesus Christ

Been doing them in two player coop but some of them are just brutal, the first two sections of chapter 2 in particular.

By the way I'm doing this solo. Is it advisable to do declassified on the first run through?

I would always declassify, regardless. I think the encounters would be pretty boring normally.

MjFrancis

I would always declassify, regardless. I think the encounters would be pretty boring normally.
Yeah, I've read some people have skipped those on their first playthrough, and I really don't understand why. Do you want a more challenging game? Play the Declassified Missions. Do you want more variety in your encounters? Play the Declassified Missions. I couldn't imagine playing the game without them. I wonder if they should have just been unskippable conditions set upon the player from the beginning.

Me and Donaldduck just did a 4:50 overrun round. Nothing can stand up to the 5 ticker wave. I also played a bunch od Domination, and it is so much better then annex. I really hope they keep domination as the mode going forward.

Kabuto

Me and Donaldduck just did a 4:50 overrun round. Nothing can stand up to the 5 ticker wave. I also played a bunch od Domination, and it is so much better then annex. I really hope they keep domination as the mode going forward.

;) that round was amazing; the guy on the other team was pretty salty hahah.
Team 5 Tickers all day

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's really hard for me to rank Judgment's campaign compared to the rest, but I really enjoyed it. I did miss the banter, especially considering Baird being the lead made me excited for that, but it has so many incredible fights throughout. The sheer amount of enemies on screen getting gibbed back and forth was insane.

RedSwirl

From here on I'm skipping any declassified mission that involves a time limit. I think I just spent an hour and a half on the
gas one during Sofia's testimony.

From here on I'm skipping any declassified mission that involves a time limit. I think I just spent an hour and a half on the
gas one during Sofia's testimony.

Thank god I wasn't the only one that had a difficult time with that one. I got lucky when I finally got one where the last stretch was mostly Tickers, but I still only had less than 10 seconds left.

malfcn

Darn. Missed Lambent skin. :(

I haven't touched the story yet. The game feels like the maps were designed around FFA. (Online played like Overrun). There seems to be a general lack of flow.

And the game types break certain maps, or the through wasn't there:
"Let's have FFA and have people spawn on Boom." - It should be like Wingman where the power weapons spawn in.
Also, the Tac-Com being moved to only down. Who though that was a good decision. Make it tap or hold any direction, tap or let go to turn it off.
I have heard Overrun is easily exploitable with putting a turret where the enemy spawns.

Did they test the game? Or did they not have assholes test the game. Companies seem to forget there are clowns that will look to break your game and if you don't have a cruel individual try to test the game it will look silly upon release.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Thank god I wasn't the only one that had a difficult time with that one. I got lucky when I finally got one where the last stretch was mostly Tickers, but I still only had less than 10 seconds left.

The first time I did this I ran out of time right after the first rager room and thought it must have been the end, little did I know the hallway of wretches or tickers right after and another room of normal combat. When I finally beat it I was running through smoke and instant gibbed 3-4 people in a row and still barely made it.

RedSwirl

The first time I did this I ran out of time right after the first rager room and thought it must have been the end, little did I know the hallway of wretches or tickers right after and another room of normal combat. When I finally beat it I was running through smoke and instant gibbed 3-4 people in a row and still barely made it.

I was pissed when I found out you could headshot the ragers before they transformed. I was pissed off again when I found out you could still chainsaw them.

RedSwirl

I don't know man. I've only just started Paduk's Testimony (is that halfway?) in the campaign and did a match of Survival (horde was the only online mode I gave a shit about in Gears 3), and it's definitely a good game, but I don't know if it's the game to replace Gears 3. It feels like Gears 3.5, or Gears 3: The Remix.

I mean, the way they do the campaign and the declassified missions do give more variety to a shooter that already had more varied gameplay than most this generation. Actually, come to think of it, I've never been extremely keen on the Gears campaigns. Maybe it's because I played through the first two for the first time back-to-back in 2010, but I don't really remember a whole lot about the first three Gears campaigns. Good game design, but not extremely memorable as a whole. I don't feel the need to do any of the Gears campaigns again, if you get what I mean.

Anyway, the main reason I was anticipating this game was horde/survival. I'm hesitant to try Overrun because of the human opposition. Survival is definitely more challenging and intense than horde but I don't know if it's more fun. The class system definitely nails a bit of a TF2 feeling but I'm not sure if that helps or hurts what I feel is the overall appeal of Gears in this day and age.

Right now I play Gears because it's just about the only really polished shooter that also feels really "gamey." The guns and enemies all feel designed for fun instead of just being modeled after real world stuff and very few other shooters have been doing this. I think the ultimate realization of this was horde 2.0 where it was just you and the game mechanics thrown together without worrying about a story or human opposition. Can Epic really do any more to push that feeling forward?

My ultimate issue with Judgement, from its very announcement, is that I feel like I could keep playing Gears 3 for another four years probably. Gears 3 is one of those games that feels like it has a ton of value in the package and doesn't need to be replaced by a sequel two years after release.

Honestly, I don't know what Epic could do to get me to fully commit to another full Gears release short of either Gears 4 or a PC version of Gears 3 that I can run at 60 frames per second on dedicated servers.

123rl

I'm about to finsh chapter 5 and I'm enjoying it so far.

Anyway I've got codes for Young Dom and the Hammerburst. First one to quote this message gets them

123rl

Campaign now finished. I thought it was a little short but it was very consistent and a lot of fun. I'd rank it as one of the best Gears campaigns

JimiNutz

Banned
Finished Aftermath today. I'm sad to see so much hate in this thread.

Granted I haven't even touched any MP and am basing this entirely on the SP but Judgment has really restored my faith in the franchise.

Gears 1 is, and probably always will be my favourite, but Judgement is right up there for me.

I hope this sells well and I hope PCF get a proper go at a next gen Gears 4. Based on Painkiller, Bulletstorm and Judgment they are great developers and they have actually restored my faith in the franchise (outside of MP which I haven't played yet).

Top Bottom