• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Judgement |OT| Brothers from the beginning, Bros till the end

TU List from EPIC forum

-Fixed an issue that caused debug info to appear on the overhead maps when swapping out weapons.
-Scorcher magazine size reduced from 34-15 for private and LAN play.
-While holding the Boom Shield, female character heads are no longer more exposed than male characters.
-Prize Boxes will now deliver all unlockable content before rewarding XP.
-All gametypes will now have a rifle and a shotgun as the default loadout except for Free for All and Master at Arms.
-Fixed an issue with the Dreadnought DLC not appearing in VIP Overrun searches.
-Fixed an issue with the grenade animation.
-Reduced volume of self and team footsteps to better highlight enemy approach noises.
-Fixed the "You Lookin At Me" achievement German translation.
-The "Surprise" achievement can now be unlocked on dedicated servers.
-Fixed an issue where pressing the back button for the scoreboard caused the screen to blur until respawn.
-When searching DLC playlists on Execution and Master at Arms, screen will no longer freeze, forcing you to restart searching.
-Fixed an issue which caused game crashes while removing a storage device in the pregame lobby of a ranked versus match.
-All of the Survival map names should now show on the Survival leaderboards.
-Fixed an exploit where players could earn extra prize boxes.
-Removed unnecessary tooltips.
-Secret bookshelf passages in the Library map are now locked in Execution and Breakthrough gametypes.
-Fixed a typo in the current achievement list.
-Fixed an issue with the Engineer's sentry targeting Locusts being executed.
-Fixed Master at Arms gametype description.
-The Digger no longer misfires after swapping from a loaded Sawed-Off.
-Fixed an issue with Wretches teleporting back to perches.
-Fixed random crashes while accessing content from a USB drive at the title screen.
-Fixed an issue with the Generator not showing damage while being attacked.
-Campaign: Players will no longer be blocked by the missing stairs leading out of the Imulsion room in Aftermath.
-Gnasher ammo updates (start w/ two clips instead of one) for private and LAN play.
-Stim-grenades removed from starting loadout across all gametypes except FFA for private and LAN play.
-Weapon swaps now available per-map per-playlist on dedicated servers.
-Grenades no longer refill from Ammo Boxes.
-Minh’s hitbox adjusted for better detection around head.
-Mortar back on Gondola in place of Torquebow (dedicated server replication issues fixed).
-Mauler no longer able to hit things through walls.

Lost Relics Achievements

You Can’t Hide- Earn the Tree House Predator ribbon on Ward (10 points)

Getting it Done- Destroy the generator in under 8 minutes on any DLC map (30 points)

Dread the Rage- Get a multi-kill while playing as an enraged Rager on Ward (10 points)

Drop the Mic- Finish wave 10 of Survival at the first e-hole on Ward on at least Normal difficulty (50 points)

Flag Runner- Score a flag cap on Streets, Rig, Gondola, Library, Lost City, Museum, and Checkout (25 points)

Look What I Found- Get a kill with each pickup weapon in FFA during a single game on the map Lost City (15 points)

Flag Dropped- Kill the flag carrier a total of 20 times (20 points)

Pendulum Wars- Win a TDM, DOM, and BT match with your entire team wearing the UIR Armor skin (40 points)

For Gorasnaya!- Score 5 flags in BT as Paduk (20 points)

Golden Artifacts-Win a public or ranked game of Execution on Museum with all players using the Gold character and weapon skins (30 points)

Nori Chan

Achievements don't seem to difficult.

I remember in gears 3 the skin achievements were awesome cause everyone on my friends list had the game...now I'm lucky to have 1 person to play it in the last werk.

Achievements don't seem to difficult.

I remember in gears 3 the skin achievements were awesome cause everyone on my friends list had the game...now I'm lucky to have 1 person to play it in the last werk.

some people are starting to complain in the forums because of Golden Artifacts-Win a public or ranked game of Execution on Museum with all players using the Gold character and weapon skins (30 points)

the prize boxes scale every time you get one. I remember some guy mentioned he was 600+ levels away from the next prize box. so, the people that have played tonnes and haven't got the gold skins yet are fucked.

Nori Chan

some people are starting to complain in the forums because of Golden Artifacts-Win a public or ranked game of Execution on Museum with all players using the Gold character and weapon skins (30 points)

the prize boxes scale every time you get one. I remember some guy mentioned he was 600+ levels away from the next prize box. so, the people that have played tonnes and haven't got the gold skins yet are fucked.

I just assumed that Gold would be a skin offered.

fuck life

Watching the stream.
Wow, they can't fix the game because of the VIP double XP.
Hard lesson.

I don't know how they didn't foresee this shit happening. it was a problem in Gears3 and they go ahead and double the entire playlist just to try and sell some season passes.

the competitive scene for this game is dead too. it's obvious the maps are designed around FFA. it's fucking butchered at this point with so many design decisions reversed.

malfcn

Hire PXG or the other Pros.
Chasing the casuals is killing the games.
There is nothing wrong with implementing some mechanics, but it feels like all the decisions went towards ffa and casuals.

2San

It doesn't seem that crazy to me - the differences in the Unreal Engine just between Gears 3 and Judgment are large enough that it simply can't just be ported over with no effort.

No doubt he's including every single step along the way, salaries for each employee, fees, etc - I'm sure no one here would stop doing their regular job to do an assignment that takes a couple weeks out of their schedule for free.
Still seems pretty high either way.

mernst23

So glad I haven't even hit Re-up 3 yet. I have most of the gold weapon skins but have no idea about the armor. At least it sounds like I should be able to unlock that pretty quickly now.

So glad I haven't even hit Re-up 3 yet. I have most of the gold weapon skins but have no idea about the armor. At least it sounds like I should be able to unlock that pretty quickly now.

people have been hoarding prize boxes ever since they said it was going to be fixed.

It doesn't seem that crazy to me - the differences in the Unreal Engine just between Gears 3 and Judgment are large enough that it simply can't just be ported over with no effort.

No doubt he's including every single step along the way, salaries for each employee, fees, etc - I'm sure no one here would stop doing their regular job to do an assignment that takes a couple weeks out of their schedule for free.

The answer I want to know is how much it costs to make a NEW map. I'm talking brand spanking new. If it supposedly takes upwards of $100,000 to retool an old map, how much more does it take to start one from scratch? I would assume it's cheaper to retool an old map. Despite all the talk about converting old code to new code or whatever is needed to make checkout work in Gear Judgment, how could it possibly be more expensive to bring back old maps? If you're making new maps from scratch, logic dictates that you could make checkout from scratch too, ONLY with checkout you already have your map layout work done. Seems like you'd need a lot less play testing on an old map and that in and of itself would take some cost off.

Kabuto

Judgment drops below Gears 3 on the latest Live activity list.

http://majornelson.com/2013/06/05/live-activity-for-week-of-may-27/

iJNlhWYE3Ve57.gif

The max I usually see for Judgment is ~3000 people total. I hop on Gears 3 and there's ~5000 in TDM alone. Judgment is dead but maybe that Title Update could bring life back. Probably not though.

So, did no-one buy any of the DLC (either seasons pass or otherwise)?

I am loving the game, overrun is great and I was considering getting the seasons pass so I could ensure I wouldn't have any issues getting into games etc and I looked at the DLC playlists and no-one is on them?

The double XP would have helped towards the achievements I wanted but... ye, did the DLC sell that badly?

malfcn

There is no support for the new DLC. When they have the streams there isn't any meat they are allowed to talk about it. They said it was coming in June, and we are half way through it and so far no peeps. Probably just going to say - it's out!

I was reading in the forums earlier about why the live streams were canceled. according to the twitter/forum post Microsoft decided to hold back info due to it being E3 this week and not wanting to take the spotlight off of Xbone.

I really want Epic to ditch the contracts next gen and make Gears multiplatform... if they even make another Gears.

also, special event on Friday is "Can you Dig it"

I was reading in the forums earlier about why the live streams were canceled. according to the twitter/forum post Microsoft decided to hold back info due to it being E3 this week and not wanting to take the spotlight off of Xbone.

I really want Epic to ditch the contracts next gen and make Gears multiplatform... if they even make another Gears.

also, special event on Friday is "Can you Dig it"

Well, I can see Microsoft not wanting to overshadow the announcement of the map pack with Xbox One stuff, people won't be aware of the announcement and it will get lost so I don't think waiting until afterwards is such a bad thing as long as it gets better exposure.

Microsoft mentioned Marcus Fenix (with Master Chief) in their E3 conference, so I would take that to assume Gears isn't really going anywhere. I know Judgment didn't sell as well as the others but without Microsoft publishing I really don't think the Gears games would be anywhere near as big as they are now.

I also hope the next Gears is multi. I'm getting the PS4 at launch but I may be tempted to get the Xbone later down the road if Gears 4 turns out to be a good gears game. I wouldn't have to do that if it was also on Playstation. All my Gears buddies are migrating to PS4 too.

I think keeping it exclusive is the best thing. Usually exclusive push systems way more then multiplatform games do. I really want Gears 4 to be amazing, I would hate for it to be held back because Epic has to learn a new platform.

Anybody know if there's going to be any campaign DLC for this?

I'm totally expecting this to be the last DLC for GoWJ. Gears3 didn't have a second season of DLC and that game is played more that judgement, even now.

I would say watch the Livestream tonight at 3PM PST

they'll be talking about the DLC and what the future holds for GearsJ. it sounds like they're closing the book on it. I hope I'm wrong though because we might not see another gears for a long time.

OXM article
Microsoft's E3 2013 presser may have been epic, but it wasn't quite Epic - the creators of Gears of War were conspicuous by their absence. Pushed for an explanation, the publisher's Phil Spencer has suggested that the franchise needs to "spend some time" away from the limelight, both for its own good and to make room for new IP.

Checkout looks exactly the same. Couldn't even put a new skin on it?

all of that was explained in the live stream three weeks ago. they claimed it would take too much time and effort to reskin and implement. plus, Checkout was never slated to show up in Judgment until Epic received backlash over the pitiful map count. it was a last minute addition to the DLC going live tomorrow.

all of that was explained in the live stream three weeks ago. they claimed it would take too much time and effort to reskin and implement. plus, Checkout was never slated to show up in Judgment until Epic received backlash over the pitiful map count. it was a last minute addition to the DLC going live tomorrow.
Well that's an explanation, but it's still pretty lame. Good for the people still playing this game though.

mernst23

Never change epic. Oh well, going to grind out some prize boxes for gold weapons/armor while they fix this shit. My one match a week on fridays for sybarite was all i was playing anyways.

Nori Chan

So I did the rare prizebox glitch pre patch and got like 5 rare prize boxes then I did the title update.

And the first two things I got were the Gold Lancer skin and gold skin for the character :D Unless that's the first thing you unlock now since there's an achivement.

fake edit: Now I got the gnasher and markza gold lol I guess you do get the gold ones now.

So I did the rare prizebox glitch pre patch and got like 5 rare prize boxes then I did the title update.

And the first two things I got were the Gold Lancer skin and gold skin for the character :D Unless that's the first thing you unlock now since there's an achivement.

fake edit: Now I got the gnasher and markza gold lol I guess you do get the gold ones now.

had three boxes and first skin i got was a green HB. after that was the gold character then gold lancer.

malfcn

Well this game is ruined.
Hopped into Execution Ranked and it is flat out stupid.
There is a weapon glitch that everyone else exploits.

And somehow I am the only one that ever gets hurt.
Standing behind someone and the digger hits them? They live, I die!
Honestly went 0-5 in a match because direct dome shots did nothing.

No wonder, it's a bitch party. Have tried to play a few matches and it's the same 5 kids that sponge everything.

Grisby

Came back to try the new maps. Man, player count is so so low.

Checkout is freaking weird because it's such a map compared to all of the other Judgment maps. A map I've been playing since the Gears 3 beta feels so out of place here.

I had a bit of fun and saw the new overrun map and one of the others, Lost City. If there is another Gears for X1 I hope they go back to the greatness that was 3.

eival

this has been the first and only shooter franchise ive ever liked so seeing it treated this way by Epic and MS after almost 10 years of success.. this is my one and only rant about it cause im almost certain that by MS putting it "on demand" this week for $30 signifies the end of the content cycle, which was the same time Gears 3 was put on demand when the final DLC pack for that came out as well. so i wont have anything more to say after this about this game and probably the franchise as its apparent Microsoft has no intentions on further funding it.

i love how in the opening post he's got the Cliffy quote making a broad statement of "i played it and approved of the changes" vaguely alluding to that he played the MP build and liked the Y button and faster pace...yah most of us agree with that. but avoiding everything else that also was involved as being called the "final product" which they shipped for the same exact price as Gears 3 did. which is why if you're Jim Brown, do you dont get to then bring up "limited budgets, staff, time" on each twitch stream as you respond to all the negative feedback, while you're trying to sell it for the same price.

if this game was $30 as it is now on demand from the start, people wouldnt have an issue...then again if the DLC was already in the game from the start nobody would of had any issues at $60 either..but instead you have to pay $80 just to get the same number of maps in any game mode's rotation as you got on day 1 in the previous 3 Gears(and i said Rotation, not total dont give me "well overrun is in the game so there was 8 maps total" sorry, guess what, Horde was in Gear 2 and all 10 maps work on both it and the rest of multiplayer, as did it in Gears 3 as well...on top of their 19 and 15 additional DLC maps which came with almost the same season pass price as the GoWJ pass did. not to mention half the DLC maps are just as large as the Overrun ones are which contradicts your entire excuse of how "it wouldnt work on traditional maps"

nobody there had the insight to say, gee what if we just get rid of the roaming emergence hole and make it stationary so it can work on every map...then we'd have 17 maps right now for every mode and most Gears fans would of been happy enough.

but Cliffy is the same guy who preached "we're always thinking of ways to make you keep the disc in the tray" as the driving force behind developing Gears, well all those changes you approved of completely failed that mission statement with judgment.

ive never seen a franchise lose 80% of its fanbase with just 1 title...before it even came out cause the presales basically equated for 99% of the week 1 sales, the games been out what, since March 3 months and still hasnt sold more than GOW1 did within just 2 weeks on a brand new console with no install base. let alone anywhere near Gow 2 and 3's opening week alone...leave out the fact each of the previous games sold 6 million each and dramatically increasing opening week/months sales with each title.

thats not exactly shabby considering the last few Halo's after 3 only sold roughly 10 million and the 360 versions of COD arent that much higher about 12 but those are FPS, you're not going to bring those players over to third person and you had absolutely no competition in the TPS genre let alone a drop in sales or XBL traffic to show any reason to think about making drastic changes to the current formula.

"if we just released a Gears 3.5 nobody would of bought it" - jim brown

really jim? id say you've pretty much proven that theory wrong as Blackops 2 just sold another 50 thousand, on each console last week on top of its 20+ million already sold, Halo 4 not too far behind either on top of its 10+ million, GOWJ has sold 15k over the last month still sitting at just over 1 mil...cause apparently Gears 3 didnt seem as popular at the time to release the GOWJ content as DLC as originally intended...and yet here we are Gears 3 back on the top 20 major nelson list for the last month or so (first time ever in Gears history BTW, the next game always took over and stayed within the top 5 for atleast its first year) and GOWJ as of Major Nelson's chart last month was 19th and as i check his latest chart from last week is now completely off it...passed by games like "happy wars"

i wonder what the budget and manpower for that game was, do you think the happy wars developer has a lucrative game engine license revenue stream to help support its budget? i couldnt help but notice the Unreal Engine logo each time i booted Bioshock Infinate which i just finished playing. but yet money is so tight you can barely pinch pennies to actually port more gears 3 maps after you said Checkout would be so easy cause Gears 3 used the same engine build, but now all of a sudden its expensive and time consuming to port the rest of them, something you've had no problem doing for the last 2 games, if you did the math of actual new maps vs rehashed since Gears 2 id put my money on a 3:1 ratio, Gears 2 literally had all Gears 1 maps as a day 1 free DLC...thats more maps than we got with this entire Judgment Season Pass

but forget more maps how bout push through a title update that actually fixes blatant bugs in your game which can be reproduced by merely idling in a MP match like the grenade sound in the left channel which people complained about on day 1, 2 TU's later and its still there..oh but MS charges 40k for each TU..guess they have to wait till Batman Arkham Origins comes out so they can get royalties from Warner Bros...or when ever the 50 other annual games who also use the Unreal Engine, comes out, so they can afford to to keep the lights on at Epic Studios long enough to air another twitch stream which consists of nothing but patronizing PR

coma1138

Banned
I picked this up while it was on sale for GoD (yeah, the price still sucked) even though I knew it wouldn't be that good. I really like the GoW franchise, especially the mp, so I figured what the hell.

The campaign ended up being better than I expected. The story was dumb/pointless, but it was pretty fun to play. Glad they mixed things up a little bit.

The mp is horrendous. So many changes, and all of them just make things worse. The only changes I see as improvements are switching weapons with Y (since Y was always fairly pointless anyway, so a fast switch between rifle/shotgun is helpful) and being able to switch weapons while you run. The melee shit is easily the worst change. Other than how they ruined Horde.

Overrun, depending on the teams, can be a lot of fun. Hopefully they tweak it a bit and bring it back.

I also wouldn't mind them adding some slight class-based aspects to Horde. Make it just like it was in GoW3, but maybe add in the ability to choose a perk like a repair torch or stim grenades, etc.

I picked this up while it was on sale for GoD (yeah, the price still sucked) even though I knew it wouldn't be that good. I really like the GoW franchise, especially the mp, so I figured what the hell.

The campaign ended up being better than I expected. The story was dumb/pointless, but it was pretty fun to play. Glad they mixed things up a little bit.

The mp is horrendous. So many changes, and all of them just make things worse. The only changes I see as improvements are switching weapons with Y (since Y was always fairly pointless anyway, so a fast switch between rifle/shotgun is helpful) and being able to switch weapons while you run. The melee shit is easily the worst change. Other than how they ruined Horde.

Overrun, depending on the teams, can be a lot of fun. Hopefully they tweak it a bit and bring it back.

I also wouldn't mind them adding some slight class-based aspects to Horde. Make it just like it was in GoW3, but maybe add in the ability to choose a perk like a repair torch or stim grenades, etc.
Actually, you could queue up your next weapon while roadie running in Gears 3. Just select a weapon, as soon as you stop running you'll automatically switch to it. I actually find it more awkward in Judgment because my thumb is holding A to roadie run, so I have to hit Y with my index finger or something.

coma1138

Banned
Yeah, I know you could queue it in 3. I don't really find it too awkward to press Y with my index while running, but I guess it depends on the person. Regardless of buttons, just being able to change while you run, instead of waiting until you stop, is nice.

I'd like it as still using the d-pad for weapon selection, but using Y too. Y is pretty much completely pointless in mp, so it'd be nice to have the option.

^^
LoL i bought marcus ,, Alex And hummerburst for 10$ when the game was released ,, and

now alex is free and marcus for 160 MS :( ,, i will buy dom though :) .

Finally got this from Gamefly. I was really let down. Judgement doesn't feel like Gears of War at all. Aftermatch was much better but way too short.

malfcn

Wow really? I didn't play last week's because I was out of town and forgot to do it wednesday or yesterday. What a complete joke.

I think last weeks ran for 2 weeks, and when they changed it..it was a late change. So far the current even is the same as last weeks even. It feels like they have..Checked Out.

Top Bottom