• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears Of War: Judgment (People Can Fly + Epic) Revealed

smik

for those who are wondering where i heard about the "No active reload buff & No stopping power" (holy shit if true)

it was from MLG pro Gamer CrReam, who attended E3 GOW:J event and is highly respected in the GOW community, does alot of things like commentate/organize US tourneys and has links with alot of MLG guys.

https://twitter.com/Steelyn_/statuses/210155835748401153

"So many changes that I wanted made to GoW 3 are already in GoW Judgement. Goodbye stopping power, goodbye active reload buff."

:O

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I really hope that people who never used to play Gears since Gears 1 know why stopping power was put in in the first place - it was because people were bitching so much that it was just shotguns all day. Epic didn't just wake up one day and said "let's add stopping power for the sequel" - no, they did that because they responded to the community.

Same for Gears 3 - they've gotten a lot of heat for the game, but they have put in that effort and made changes for those that kept complaining and asking, more than most devs ever do. Which is why it pisses me off when people that don't know squat just post shit like they don't care and they abandoned the game.

I wasn't one of those people that complained about shotguns in Gears 1, hell, as each round started I already switched off to the Gnasher before I was out of the spawn. But it's going to be funny as hell if Epic really does get rid of stopping power and the complaints come full-circle once again.

JimiNutz

Banned
Gears 1 was the most fun Ive ever had with an online MP game (probably because the Gears formula was so fresh back then) but looking back it was pretty much:

Round starts.
Switch to Gnasher.
Fire some shells at a wall to check for lag and prep for active reload.
Roadie run!
GNASHER CARNAGE!

It was a simple but fun formula, but if you were in cover and someone charged towards you with a Gnasher you'd better make sure you had your Gnasher out too cos regular bullets would bounce off your opponent like rubber pellets.

If stopping power if removed they'll need to buff the Lancer even more or it becomes redundant again.

-PXG-

Epic added stopping power to discourage rushing and close quarters combat. This reduced the Gnasher's effectiveness, but in turn, helped ranged weapons. This was done to encourage people to use other guns, thus making the Gnasher less dominant, thus lowering the skill gap.

I don't remember any serious Gears players bitching about others rushing. The community, as far as I know, never asked for it. The inclusion of stopping power caused a huge uproar and still pisses people off to this very day.

If its out, good. Bringing Gears back where it was and should be.

Lothars

I am going to be really dissapointed if they remove stopping power, I think it's going to hurt the game way more than helping it.

smik

in all honesty

the problem is GOW3 lancers clip size its just way to large, the stopping power that goes with the huge Active damage boost partnered with the stopping power is what makes the stopping power unbearable.

I can live with the S-P if EPIC reduce the Lancers clip size and bring it back to the GOW2 lancers (just perfect imo) and give it a slight active damage reduction from active reload... that would be the best way to go without the need of removing stopping power

klier

Probably been asked a couple of times already, but is Horde Mode confirmed?

Without Horde, I'm not buying it...

I`m really disappointed too. I`m replaying Bulletstorm right now and that game is just a little gem. I would kill for a sequel but knowing this won`t happen and getting gears from this guys now sucks big time.

Well they started on Judgment just after Bulletstorm finished I would presume and CliffyB has said that Epic are helping out too. With them not doing a Bulletstorm sequel I wouldn't be surprised if Epic gave them this to do as they didn't want them to make a new IP for this gen.

So, make Judgment whilst prototyping next-gen stuff for another game then. They have UE4 kicking around they're probably working on that too and seeing what they can come up with.

TheOddOne

Some new screenshots:
ihXCUehnylTHo.jpg
iMAYxyTiR0e02.jpg

iQlaeRdM2A6KH.jpg
iUXq2gXZtMz4i.jpg

A bit of info on the game:
Features: A Riveting Campaign
Set years before the events of the previous “Gears of War” trilogy, “Judgment” centers on Kilo Squad, a troop of soldiers led by Damon Baird and Augustus “The Cole Train” Cole. They are joined by newcomers to the “Gears” series, Sofia Hendricks and Garron Paduk, as they attempt to save the besieged city of Halvo Bay from a terrifying new enemy.

Playable cooperatively with up to three friends on Xbox LIVE (four players total), “Gears of War: Judgment” depicts the planet Sera on the brink of annihilation by an unstoppable new Locust menace, giving you a new vantage point into one of the richest and most acclaimed sagas in gaming.

Marking a first for the “Gears” franchise, “Gears of War: Judgment” features a “Mission Declassification” system that lets players experience more challenging gameplay scenarios and achievements by uncovering critical information during the course of the campaign.

Faster and More Intense Combat
“Gears of War: Judgment” delivers a riveting gameplay experience that gets back to basics, captures the true essence of “Gears” combat and introduces a new style of combat that’s faster-paced and more action-packed than ever before.

“Gears of War: Judgment” introduces a new Smart Spawn System [S3] for both campaign and multiplayer action. This new system ensures that each encounter is unique and new because types, timing and locations of enemies change with each new encounter.

Explosive New Multiplayer Experiences
“Gears of War: Judgment” introduces brand-new multiplayer experiences, including OverRun, a thrilling new class-based competitive mode that pits Locust and COG soldiers in a head-to-head battle unlike anything “Gears” fans have experienced yet.

An objective-oriented mode that lets five-player teams alternate between playing as Locusts and COG soldiers, OverRun marks the first time that a class-based, competitive multiplayer experience has been introduced in the “Gears of War” series and amps up the addictive gameplay with a deep player progression system layered on top of the experience.

Additional game modes will be announced at a later time.

klier

That pic above with the barb wire looks like it could be a new Horde mode. I'm digging the improved graphics btw. The game looks very nice visually.

I think the addition of classes is going to pointless since 95% of people will be using the Engineer (aka Gnasher) class. Especially if they're removing stopping power.

I've logged an embarrassing amount of hours into Gears multiplayer over the past 7 years and one of the best parts of the multiplayer was mastering, and having access to, all of the weapons. The whole class system is kind of a turn off to me.

It looks like Gears of War, but I have to say I honestly thought for a moment this appeared to be a better-looking game than Gears of War 3. Maybe not. But this series sure is consistent in its graphical quality.

Too bad they're being wasted on an Xbox 360 exclusive seeing as how I don't have one anymore.

Yeah, man, who saw that one coming? A Gears of War as an Xbox exclusive. Wow.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
That pic above with the barb wire looks like it could be a new Horde mode. I'm digging the improved graphics btw. The game looks very nice visually.

It's Overrun, which is the mode they've been showing off this whole time - Horde & Beast combined, 5 v 5. There are videos as well.

I think the addition of classes is going to pointless since 95% of people will be using the Engineer (aka Gnasher) class. Especially if they're removing stopping power.

I've logged an embarrassing amount of hours into Gears multiplayer over the past 7 years and one of the best parts of the multiplayer was mastering, and having access to, all of the weapons. The whole class system is kind of a turn off to me.

There's going to be traditional MP as well, which I doubt will be class-based.

Epic added stopping power to discourage rushing and close quarters combat. This reduced the Gnasher's effectiveness, but in turn, helped ranged weapons. This was done to encourage people to use other guns, thus making the Gnasher less dominant, thus lowering the skill gap.

I don't remember any serious Gears players bitching about others rushing. The community, as far as I know, never asked for it. The inclusion of stopping power caused a huge uproar and still pisses people off to this very day.

If its out, good. Bringing Gears back where it was and should be.

If I recall correctly, it's that the whole gnasher rush roll etc. was somewhat antithesis to the vision CliffyB and the team had for the game. Thus their changes in an attempt to make it play like they had hoped it would.

Not to say any particular vision is 'correct', but I believe that's where those sorts of changes came from.

goldenpp72

Too bad they're being wasted on an Xbox 360 exclusive seeing as how I don't have one anymore.

Ah the tired argument of X console sucks because it doesn't have exclusives, then X console sucks because it has games I'd like and can't have. I'm glad I own all the consoles that have titles I want.

-PXG-

My guess is that they're going to have several variants of COG vs Locust multiplayer. Imagine playing Annex as Locusts beasts. Or imagine a gametype where there is a neutral hill, guarded by fortifcations. Both the COG and the Locust have to dismantle the barriers and fight against each other to get to the territory first.

Basically, I can see them transporting the existing game modes (TDM, KOTH, CTL, ect) into Judgement, but tweaking each a bit to accomodate Locust beasts and varying COG classes.

There's going to be traditional MP as well, which I doubt will be class-based.

True, which is what I think they should've just stuck to. I don't think the class-based modes will take off at all. I know I'll probably play them for the necessary achievements and then just never touch them again.

TheOddOne

Gears of War: Judgment Preview: We Sit Down with Cliff Bleszinski and Adrian Chmielarz at E3 2012
Gears of War: Judgment‘s biggest new feature comes in the form of what they’re calling the Smart Spawn System (or S3) for both campaign and multiplayer action. The new S3 system ensures that each encounter is unique and new because types, timing, and locations of enemies change with each new encounter based on how the player is playing the game. The S3 system is what both Cliff and Adrian seemed most excited about because it’s something that will make gameplay truly unique to everyone who plays it.

Bleszinski explained that most shooters nowadays follow a similar hallway-cutscene-hallway-cutscene format, and players all experience the exact same canned cutscene animations that interrupt gameplay just when they’re becoming immersed in the gameplay. With the S3 system Epic and People Can Fly will be throwing all types of different enemies at players depending on how they’re playing so that friends can enjoy sharing different experiences despite playing the same game. Even better is that after dying, players won’t be greeted by the exact same enemies running the exact same patterns around the exact same corners. S3 will always be introducing new challenges and changing up the gameplay so that the player never knows what to expect.

Chmielarz went on to explain that in addition to the S3 system giving players a unique experience, Judgment will also feature a Mission Declassification system that lets players experience more challenging gameplay scenarios and achievements by uncovering critical information during the course of the campaign. Since certain weapons and items might not be available to players the first time through the campaign, they’ll be encouraged to go back and replay it to uncover new items that might slightly change how the events of the campaign play out. By declassifying certain parts of the story, players are essentially removing the top secret, blacked out parts of Baird’s testimony while on trial.

It was also confirmed that Judgment will use a slightly different control scheme than previous games in the series. Bleszinski said that they’re doing away with forcing players to use the D-Pad to manually switch between each weapon and instead switching between weapons will be done by double-tapping one button on the D-Pad while other items like grenades will have their own dedicated button that allows them to quickly be thrown. It’s a risky tweak that is sure to upset a lot of hardcore players and make for a ton of angry forum posts, but it sounds like something that players will be able to get used to after playing a couple rounds and eventually accept as a new and improved system.

Judgment also introduces a brand-new multiplayer experience in the form of a mode called OverRun, described as “a thrilling new class-based competitive mode that pits Locust and COG soldiers in competitive head-to-head battles.” We got a chance to check out some gameplay, which looks like Beast Mode on steroids, allowing for similar classes on both sides of the battle and loadouts offering a ton of customization. Bleszinski noted that this is something he’d like to one day also see on the competitive scene and by the looks of it, OverRun is the evolution of the multiplayer in Gears that is sure to excite fans with something new.

While watching gameplay of OverRun and seeing new classes like the Medic and Scout, I paid particular attention to one of the Scout’s unique abilities that stood out to me. For the first time in a Gears game, we saw the Scout class have the unique ability to vault himself up to higher platforms on the map without the use of steps or a ladder. The flatter multiplayer maps in the Gears series have begun to feel a little dated with games like Uncharted introducing similar gameplay on multi-level vertical maps, so I asked Bleszinski whether other modes like Warzone, Execution, and Team Deathmatch would also allow players to have access to platforming abilities on more vertical maps, but with the game still so early in development, he wouldn’t give me a solid answer. Hopefully it’ll be a feature we’ll hear more about as the game moves along future in development. Gears of War: Judgment is set for release early 2013.

ArjanN

S3 system sounds basically like the AI director from Left 4 Dead, spawning in more enemies based on skill.

Yeah, man, who saw that one coming? A Gears of War as an Xbox exclusive. Wow.

Not port-begging here, but it seems to me like a PC version would make sense given that it's a prequel so there's no real knowledge of the story required, and People Can Fly did the PC version of Gears 1. Also, IMO it's kind of late in the console cycle for exclusives to matter given that everyone is already in one camp or the other.

But I'm guessing MS might want to hang on the exclusives they have left to keep people on board for their next console.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, since we actually get a lot of inbound questions about this and haven't had a chance to get a FAQ out, I felt this would be a good opportunity to help clarify port begging a bit.

1.) Port Begging:

This is an example of a post that simply shits on a platform and/or game for being exclusive to a platform and adds nothing to the discussion. It is also likely to derail a thread in an unproductive manner as reasonable people get annoyed by the content of the post.

2.) Not Port Begging:

Not port-begging here, but it seems to me like a PC version would make sense given that it's a prequel so there's no real knowledge of the story required, and People Can Fly did the PC version of Gears 1. Also, IMO it's kind of late in the console cycle for exclusives to matter given that everyone is already in one camp or the other.

But I'm guessing MS might want to hang on the exclusives they have left to keep people on board for their next console.

This is a post that makes a reasoned argument as to why a game would make sense on a different platform. There is clearly no hostility here, and this post is unlikely to offend a reasonable person or derail a thread in an unproductive manner.

TheOddOne

The New Gears of War Campaign Gets Harder As You Get Better
The other big change is something called the "Declassification System," which is a smart bit of shiftiness built into the game's story. Which, as we already knew, is a prequel that will star the series' up-till-now second bananas Baird and Cole Train over a decade before the events of the first three Gears game. Bleszinski described Judgment as taking place slightly after Emergence Day—to put it in game terms, he called it "Emergence Day's launch window."

(Of course, I asked if Emergence Day had day-one DLC. Bleszinski declined to comment. Heh.)

See, Gears of War: Judgment is a "frame narrative"—the entire story is testimony given at Baird, Cole, and the rest of Kilo Squad's trial for treason. We're not sure what events led to them being disgraced as they have been, and we'll find out over the course of the game.

The flashbacks won't be reliable, however—at least, not 100%. Sometimes, Baird and company will remember things "wrong," and eventually you'll get a "declassified" version of each mission to play. Sometimes that'll mean that you have weapon restrictions, or that the setting or number of enemies are different. Other times it sounds like the implications could be more dramatic, though we didn't get into the details of what that might mean, exactly.

This is all laying the groundwork for a nifty bit of storytelling, though I must say I was a bit bummed to hear about another feature that allows players to "unlock" power-ups and weapons that are fuzzy because they "can't be remembered." But if you spend points, you'll remember them!

I don't quite know why this idea turns me off—after all, having different power-ups will make the levels feel different. But something about it seems silly? We'll see how it looks in the final game.

Most of what I heard about Gears of War: Judgment sounds as though the game will be much faster-paced, brutal, dynamic and difficult than its predecessors.

"There's more game in this game than previously," said Chmielarz.

smik

lots of nice new information trickling out of E3 :)

Im not worried about the Dpad button changes as its now starting to make sense, but which button will the very useful tact com be assigned to? im constantly mashing on the LB button to get updated on my enemies & teammates

Gears of War: Judgment‘s biggest new feature comes in the form of what they’re calling the Smart Spawn System (or S3) for both campaign and multiplayer action. The new S3 system ensures that each encounter is unique and new because types, timing, and locations of enemies change with each new encounter based on how the player is playing the game. The S3 system is what both Cliff and Adrian seemed most excited about because it’s something that will make gameplay truly unique to everyone who plays it.
Sold. Twice.

Gears take on an AI director? I couldn't ask for more from a campaign standpoint.

Raide

Sold. Twice.

Gears take on an AI director? I couldn't ask for more from a campaign standpoint.

Yeah, I remember hearing them mentioned the L4D Director as something similar. Scales with the plays and actually tracks to see how well you play and alter the combat for that. All FPS games should have that feature. Valve should have sold it as an engine plugin.

Top Bottom