• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Gears of War remaster coming to Xbox One, sources say" (by Splash Damage)

No it was 59.99 up till June where they made an announcement to drop the price by 10$ making it 49.99 at release.

As it stand the game still sells for about that, give or take specific retailer.

If this is just Gears 1 remastered, it better be no more than 29.99 with all the DLC. Same goes fro God of War 3 right now, 39.99 is too much for a 8hr game, with no New game plus, or added DLC.

Though I agree with you on God of War 3, Gears has multiplayer. Like really really good/unique multiplayer. That justifies another $10 to me. I also can't imagine they'd leave out the DLC.

Megatron

Eh, it's another game for the holiday. Halo and Tomb Raider are the big ones they'll be pushing. This is a little something extra that might push some people (ie Gears fans) over the edge before the real new Gears comes next year.

I can't imagine this coming this fall, though I won't mind if it does. If they release it in February, they can celebrate the 10 year anniversary and it gives Microsoft a game in that quarter.

I can't imagine this coming this fall, though I won't mind if it does. If they release it in February, they can celebrate the 10 year anniversary and it gives Microsoft a game in that quarter.

That's not a bad idea. MS didn't have much for first quarter this year and it steps out of the way of the holiday onslaught.

Maps and movement speed were still awful to me :l

To each their own, but I disagree. It had the best maps of the series, a better campaign and an excellent horde mode. The slightly slower movement speed is a valid complaint, but faster rolling, the superior mechanics and better cover system more than make up for it.

Way to go Polygon on ruining an E3 announcement *slow claps*

I think this will be a spring game and MS has learnt from last year with Sony having two big triple A exclusives in the spring.

Quantum Break = February 2016
Gears of War Remastered = April 2016 w/ Summer beta for Gears 4
Scalebound = Summer 2016
Possible Alan Wake Remaster = Summer 2016
Forza Horizon 3 = Fall 2016
Crackdown = Fall 2016
Gears of War 4 = Fall 2016

and probably some other games too

I think this will be a spring game and MS has learnt from last year with Sony having two big triple A exclusives in the spring.

Scalebound = Summer 2016
Crackdown = Fall 2016

This would be fine, except that I don't think Microsoft will be waiting an entire year to release it and I can't see Alan Wake Remaster being over a year away either. The AWR was on a survey as a pre-order incentive for QB and even if its not, I doubt it'll be that long anyway.

Gears is being tested at home, I think there is much more of a chance its a summer 2015 launch than April 2016, they won't release two games in a year like that.

Chris1

Scalebound = Summer 2016
Crackdown = Fall 2016

Rare's game too, I can see that being early/summer 2016, around 2 years after KSR.

I don't really have faith on MS to really spread those games around whole year.

They have too much to put it all in the holidays, unless something gets delayed. ntkrnl said Spring 16 for Scalebound and Platinum said they were getting it done quickly iirc. Its possible, even if it happens by accident.

I can't see MS launching a new IP in the holiday again.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
An UE4 game at 60fps on Xbone is gonna look like an early PS3 title? maybe you're overreacting a bit? for all we know it might be 60fps only on MP with SP being 30fps as always.

Also what UE4 games are struggling with 30fps and/or resolution on the Xbone? the only somewhat graphically demanding title that comes to mind is Outlast and it runs pretty good plus was also 1080p IIRC.
Outlast is UE3. The only UE4 game available right now on XO, as far as I know, is Pneuma which runs at 720p30 and features no action elements.

Papacheeks

Banned
$49.99, which was too much. I'm growing tired of the "Remastered" "NEXT" generation.

It wasn't for what you got. And to this day outside of GTA V, has anyone given you the value in remaster that they did.

Master Chief collection can't touch it for, it didn't even work up till recently. You got a game with not only was reworked with better In-game character models, but added 60fps frame rate photo-mode, Left Behind DLC which was still fresh, and all the multiplayer DLC.

For 49.99.

Though I agree with you on God of War 3, Gears has multiplayer. Like really really good/unique multiplayer. That justifies another $10 to me. I also can't imagine they'd leave out the DLC.

Gears of war 1 being as old as it is, shouldn't be any more than 39.99, if anything should be much less.

39.99$ Max, and the game's online better work.

God of war has no excuse to be 39.99, especially when the collection they had a while back on PS3 was less, and had a whole collection of games.

Gears of war 1 being as old as it is, shouldn't be any more than 39.99, if anything should be much less.

39.99$ Max, and the game's online better work.

God of war has no excuse to be 39.99, especially when the collection they had a while back on PS3 was less, and had a whole collection of games.

We're on the same page.

There's plenty of open dates available this fall if they choose to do so.

Uhm no.

Fall starts with MGS5. Then we will have Forza 6, then maybe Tomb Raider, after that Halo 5, then CoD and Battlefront and many many more from 3rd party etc

I dont see any place for that "remaster" this fall...

Get it out in early Spring and for the end of Spring Quantum Break.

Outlast is UE3. The only UE4 game available right now on XO, as far as I know, is Pneuma which runs at 720p30 and features no action elements.

Thanks for that Info. So i could be not so wrong about that stuff i said before...

Welfare

Uhm no.

Fall starts with MGS5. Then we will have Forza 6, then maybe Tomb Raider, after that Halo 5, then CoD and Battlefront and many many more from 3rd party etc

Get it out in early Spring and for the end of Spring Quantum Break.

It could release in August for all we know. Gears 1 remastered doesn't have to be a fall title.

El_Chino

Uhm no.

MGSV is in the beginning of September, forza will probably be in early October or late September. Halo is late October with cod and battlefront coming two weeks later in between. Tomb raider is probably late November. There's still plenty of space to fill up both early to mid October and early to late September.

Goliath

Meh....it makes sense for Sony to remaster certain games because the PS4 scooped up a lot of NA 360 fans that missed out on the PS3 and some of it's amazing exclusives. However how many non 360 owners do they think went from PS3 to Xbone?

I guess it's easy money.

Majine

Banned
Aw, I wanted a Marcus Fenix Collection.

Just the first game seems so small compared to what MCC had (four games, soon five).

That's not a bad idea. MS didn't have much for first quarter this year and it steps out of the way of the holiday onslaught.

I could also see Gears of War 1 coming in the fall with downloadable versions of Gears 2 and Gears 3 in early 2016 (a la what's being done for Halo 3 ODST on MCC).

In this scenario, I'd see only Gears 1 getting the reworked treatment, and the others would probably be ports.

Pool Nation is UE4 I think?

Anyway, I still think that considering of all the teams that are using UE4, first party studios/games always get the most out of a console. The two games being banded around above aren't even out yet (Fable Legends and Gears of War Remaster), the latter is 60fps not sure what resolution it was running at, Fable Legends is in closed beta and NDA'd for a reason.

Pneuma being 720/30 is certainly interesting and we will have to see what happens, so far its one game (a good game) made by a small team vs Microsofts internal studios and partners doing betas for their releases of games that aren't out yet as I said.

When third-party games and MS games come out we will have to see what happens but I really do find it hard to believe MS have gone balls deep in a third party engine that will only achieve 720/30 for all their games. Seems like a ridiculous scenario given Lionhead always used their own engine and I'm sure Platinum/Cloudgine could have used other tech too.

Bluefoot

Banned
This seems like the most boring and pointless remaster of them all.

The mechanics of the game has already been done to death. The greatness of the first game was how fresh it was. Its not anymore.

The games are not classics that should be preserved. I even get God Of War remakes, as those are games people who have not played them would enjoy, but I don't really see this with Gears of War.

This would be fine, except that I don't think Microsoft will be waiting an entire year to release it and I can't see Alan Wake Remaster being over a year away either. The AWR was on a survey as a pre-order incentive for QB and even if its not, I doubt it'll be that long anyway.

Gears is being tested at home, I think there is much more of a chance its a summer 2015 launch than April 2016, they won't release two games in a year like that.

I have to agree, I don't see them releasing it next year. It is most definitely going to be this year, probably in July or August (early to mid-September at the latest). Shinobi was teasing the Gears of War 1 poster all year saying it was coming this year and at this point I definitely believe it.

The mechanics of the game has already been done to death. The greatness of the first game was how fresh it was. Its not anymore.

The games are not classics that should be preserved. I even get God Of War remakes, as those are games people who have not played them would enjoy, but I don't really see this with Gears of War.

I disagree with the classics bit as well as the stuff about people not enjoying them personally, but more than that, MS paid a shit load probably for the IP, they will want to make some easy money back.

Megatron

Gears 4 isn't coming next year. Development started in April last year, right? Two and a half years to build everything from scratch? Not going to happen. It will come out in 2017 and Gaf will claim its 'delayed'.

Gears 4 isn't coming next year. Development started in April last year, right? Two and a half years to build everything from scratch? Not going to happen. It will come out in 2017 and Gaf will claim its 'delayed'.

It started in January, its only 3 extra months but Black Tusk were already working on UE4 and Rod got all of his old work from Epic back with him. If it comes out in November it'll be 2 months off 3 years, I think that is sufficient time, they've been hiring a lot, MS always like to get outsourcing done, I don't have any doubt personally that I won't be playing Gears 4 Holiday 2016. We'll have to see what happens, MS like their blockbuster franchises in the holiday and Klobb echoed that back in January, so either Holiday 2016 or Holiday 2017, last one seems too long.

Ape

Banned

30 months is a fair amount of time for a AAA project. I'll assume we hear "2016" at e3.

El_Chino

It started January 2014. It's been one year and 4 months so far, if it's scheduled for holiday 2016 then that would be at least 2 years and 10 months. That's enough time.

Arkam

Was interested until i saw Splash Damage... those guys are pretty awful. Anyone seen the Dirty Bomb/Extraction/Dirty bomb development saga? 3+ years to make a laggy and bug filled multiplayer only game with Zero character.

Oh and there was also the near broken Batman multiplayer they did.
Seriously these guys are subpar at best and amazed that they keep finding work. Though I do notice its always for a different publisher :p

Hubble

People want to play this for the multiplayer obviously, in a more stable environment and the bugs/glitches fixed. It will sell mostly for multiplayer

Was interested until i saw Splash Damage... those guys are pretty awful. Anyone seen the Dirty Bomb/Extraction/Dirty bomb development saga? 3+ years to make a laggy and bug filled multiplayer only game with Zero character.

Oh and there was also the near broken Batman multiplayer they did.
Seriously these guys are subpar at best and amazed that they keep finding work. Though I do notice its always for a different publisher :p

They are not creating the MP from scratch...

Absolute drivel.

It's a multi-million selling, billion dollar franchise with another title on the way and a fan base hungry for more.

Gears of War (the third in particular) is still well worth anyone's time.

Arkam

They are not creating the MP from scratch...

I want to believe they can handle that, but after Brink, Batman multiplayer & Dirty Bomb its doubtful. They clearly cannot put out a meaningful multiplayer experience. But hey i would love to be proven wrong by them delivering a quality product.

Im not holding my breath

It wasn't for what you got. And to this day outside of GTA V, has anyone given you the value in remaster that they did.

Master Chief collection can't touch it for, it didn't even work up till recently. You got a game with not only was reworked with better In-game character models, but added 60fps frame rate photo-mode, Left Behind DLC which was still fresh, and all the multiplayer DLC.

For 49.99.

Both games side by side as a value proposition, MCC is nearly impossible to beat now that it's working. There's 4 games packed in, and one that's gotten some incredible attention.

Now granted TLoU is an excellent game, and 60fps is nice, but I could live without 60fps in a game like that, and photo mode isn't that compelling of a feature. It's a neat distraction but I'm playing a game, I don't need a screen shot saved to my HDD to remind me of that. Added DLC is cool, but multiplayer is not the reason I bought that game on PS3.

Overall we can joke all we want about the MCC fiasco, but at the end of the day I still feel it's the best value, and how I want remasters done, collections for $59.99, not one old game for $60. So I'll have agree to disagree.

Top Bottom