• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Gears of War remaster coming to Xbox One, sources say" (by Splash Damage)

Theorry

"Microsoft and Black Tusk Studios are developing a remastered version of the original Gears of War for Xbox One, sources tell Polygon.

The re-release of Gears of War for Xbox One will include updated visuals and reworked cutscenes, courtesy of animation studio Plastic Wax. Stills of Gears of War's remade opening cinematic were shown to Polygon, offering a new look at the Locust invasion with updated visuals.

Microsoft was previously rumored to be working on a remastered Gears of War anthology for its current console, dubbed the "Marcus Fenix Collection." But Black Tusk studio head Rod Fergusson, previously the series producer of Gears at developer Epic Games, downplayed those rumors earlier this year.

"I love the passion, but there's no Marcus Fenix Collection," Fergusson said in March. "We ARE working on other exciting Gears projects. I'll see you at E3!"

Microsoft acquired the Gears of War property from Epic Games in 2014. The company brought on Fergusson and tasked Black Tusk Studios with continued development of the Xbox and PC franchise. Xbox head Phil Spencer has indicated that Microsoft wants to get back to basics with Gears of War.

"The thing that was great about the early Gears of War games, to me, was just the epic scale of the settings that I was in," Spencer said in an interview last year. "The story, the setting was a lot more what I would call soulful and maybe even a little dark. I think the game over time became almost more of a parody of itself; not for any kind of horrible reasons. It's hard to continue to manage the IP."

Gears of War turns 10 years old in 2016. The first game in the series was released on Xbox 360 in November 2006, and was ported to Windows PC the following year.

Polygon has reached out to Microsoft and Black Tusk Studios for comment on Gears of War for Xbox One."

http://www.polygon.com/2015/4/24/8490745/gears-of-war-xbox-one-anniversary-remake

Where smoke is. Is fire.
So many rumours the whole time.

Salsa

it'd be cool if they port 2 and 3 to PC finally

tho it'd probably be on the windows store thingie

edit: oh wait it's just the first one? lol nevermind

Krakn3Dfx

Cool, only ever played the original, will grab this at some point if it's really a thing.

Edit: Unless this is only the first game, then nm.

Jawmuncher

Wonder if it's because even they don't know where to go with the story without more prequels or stories in between.

DieH@rd

Banned
_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png

Addnan

If it still has the multiplayers I will buy an Xbox One just to play these, will probably not buy anything else for it ever.

I probably enjoyed the first game more than the others so if they're only going to update one I'm glad it's the original, but I assumed that they were going to do the same thing they did with MCC.

McHuj

Honesty, i'd prefer a best of remix of the trilogy. I'd like the best parts of the three without having to replay a whole game.

Bsigg12

No collection huh? bummer

I think this is what JSchreier was waiting on before putting up an article. As it stands all we have to go on is a leak of the splash screen of a Gears of War beta, nothing beyond that unless Polygon has sources other than all the pictures floating around.

I'm excited- as long as it's done right. It really needs to have the extra content that was previously exclusive to the PC version (which I don't think works anymore?).

Not to sound greedy- but if they're expecting $59.99- that's a bit of a tougher pill for me to swallow.

That being said- I would pay $69.99 for Gears 1 (+ PC Content)/2/3/Judgement/All DLC Xbox 1/ PC pack, day one- if it all worked right and wasn't shorted any content. This feels like it'd be a stretch to expect, though.

The Master Chief Collection soured me on such things. (Heck, MK Trilogy did in a way too, back when).

TM94

Kinda sucks if it's not a collection.

Loved the first one though, that dark horror vibe was lost in the sequels.

Schryver

Played so much of the first game. Was hoping to be able to play all 3 campaigns since I missed 3 but all I care about is the multiplayer from 1. Hype!

Yoooooooo

Multiplayer dedicated servers?

Incredible!!!

They can't not do with how much of a pain in the ass host advantage was in the original.

I can't fucking wait for this

Top Bottom