• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Xbox Evolution 2006 - 2020

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Game Evolution Presents: Evolution of Gears of War Games on Xbox Platforms from 2006 to 2020. This video includes the main series, spin-off games and Gears Tactics.

0:00 The Game Evolution
0:06 Gears of War (2006)
0:54 Gears of War 2 (2008)
1:39 Gears of War 3 (2011)
2:18 Gears of War: Judgment (2013)
3:04 Gears of War: Ultimate Edition (2015)
3:53 Gears of War 4 (2016)
4:32 Gears 5 (2019)
5:14 Gears Tactics (2020)
5:58 The Game Evolution

Always loved this series.

I remember getting Judgement on launch night(last midnight release i ever went to now that i think about it...sheesh!) and seeing those trees on fire in one of the opening bits and thinking to myself how beautiful they were lol

Snatched this vid off youtube, might not be the best quality:

But at 5:14 here:

Im sure its plenty of other titles that did it better/are doing it better. But i thought that was amazing for its time.

Still love the first 3 the most

Last edited:

Jethalal

Banned
I don’t know, I kinda miss it.
I personally like colourful games as they make everything pop-out and vibrant. Each to their own I suppose.

Yep Yes GIF by C H A R L Ö T T E

Hostile_18

Banned
For me these games (back on the 360) came alive in local coop. Single player wasn't the greatest. Eager to try 4 and 5.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Gears of War is in dire need of a reboot. If they continue down the path of 4 & 5 (which I'm sure they will, because TC), it is all over.

cormack12

Gold Member
For me these games (back on the 360) came alive in local coop. Single player wasn't the greatest. Eager to try 4 and 5.

I remmeber playing co-op ove live in Gears 2 or 3? It was on insane difficulty and it's the part where you have to split up in the locust den. And if one of you die, both of you die. Fuck me, the swearing and rage was real. Then the other part I vividly remember is being in the centre of a circular area and having waves of enemies come at you - I think it might have been Dom looking for his gf/wife and she was dead in a pod. Getting downed proper fucked you over. Horde 2.0 remains one of the most fun co-op experiences ever.

Kikorin

Gears 1 was mind-blowing, I remember I was amazed on how incredible it looks and play at time.

Gears 2 was the peak of the series, incredible single player campaign.

Gears 3 showed first signs of decline IMHO, but still pretty enjoyable.

Gears 4 lost all the charm of the others Gears. Forgettable characters, super boring campaign and enemies.

Gears 5 shown some improvements over the 4th entry, but still the worst after 4. I really hope they'll find a way to make this series great again with the next chapter.

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion: Gears 5 is my favourite moment of the franchise so far (as far as the campaign goes, multiplayer does not interest me much), and it's not due to recency bias. The originals relied too much on tight brown corridors, where every extra angle gave you a secret, limiting the battles to an endless repetition of moving from one cover to another in eerily similar locations. There were variations like the giant worm in Gears 2, but even there you effectively did the same thing.

Fast forward to the 5th game, and the game takes players through colourful locales, slightly undercooked but interesting open world hubs. The addition of a controllable (both through team commands and with a controller) Jack adds several new tactical options, as it allows players to use him as distraction, stun enemies, bring over guns and such. With a more open and varied level design and more variety in side content (no longer just tags to collect), it's the only Gears to this point that didn't feel like going through the motions 2-3 hours in, but managed to stay fresh enough to not outlast its welcome.

It's no perfect game by any means, but I never loved either Gears so far. It is however the one I enjoyed most, and I think the evolutions they brought to the formula did improve the gameplay. Excited to see how they can iterate upon that in 6. First time I am legitimately excited about the franchise.

Tiamat2san

It has become my favourite game series since the second game.
Love the universe , the action bro dialogues, gameplay and the music.
Horde mode is the multiplayer mode I play (coop PvE)
Can’t wait for operation 6 and the sixth game, which will certainly beautiful.
I hope it will be Xbox series only though to see how they will push the hardware.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Had fun with Gears 5, which has made me optimist after the awful Gears 4, but the series went from feeling like big budget Michael Bay action horror to some Sy Fy channel tv series.

BigLee74

They are all good. First half of Gears 4 only less so, but it had some amazing moments too (fight in the electrical storm is gaming heaven).

5 was superb from beginning to end.

VN1X

Banned
Currently going through Gears 5 (just finished 4 the other week) and am really enjoying it. Kind of loving what The Coalition has done with the series. While GoW4 was a bit middling and by-the-numbers, they really stepped up their game with Gears 5 both in terms of visuals and storytelling as well as gameplay mechanics and general flow. Superb stuff so far and can't wait to play Hivebusters.

I played all entries several times. On a single player point of view, series has declined after the original trilogy, I remember everything that happened in first 3 games like I played it yesterday, however don't remember anything from 4 and 5. Nonetheless Gears games have always been a satisfying piece of action shooter for me, it's always fun to log in and shoot that beasts like hell.

On the other hand, Gears multiplayer got better and better by each game, gun play has got much better, matchmaking and team balancing is really good. I can't think of many other games that is as competitive as Gears, including FPS games. Game is so very well balanced, maps are very well designed, totally skill based. It also has a unique gameplay with lots of rolls and wall bangs. I'm really impressed with the way Gears multiplayer plays.

Riky

$MSFT
Playing through Gears 4 again now, so much better at 60fps, really enjoying it.

Only problem going back to the older games from 5 is that I keep looking for Jack to help out.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Gears Tactics is a really fun game, a nice spin on XCOM with Gears flavor. Need to get back to it after finishing Cyberpunk 2077.

TheContact

gears was one of my favorite 360 games. i love third person shooters, and the reload mechanic, story, and gameplay are great. i don't think i ever played 3... or if i did i forgot. I really want to plow through this series again. i wish there was a compilation edition for the pc

Top Bottom