• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeForce GTX 1060 announced - July 19, 6GB, $249 MSRP/$299 Founder's

Guess Who

Banned
From VideoCardz.com.

DQcUXbU.jpg

Lock if old.

EDIT: More from Ars Technica:

While the full technical details behind the GTX 1060 aren't available just yet, Nvidia has revealed that the card is based on a new GP106 chip, rather than a binned version of the the GP104 chip used in the GTX 1080 and GTX 1070. The GTX 1060 sports 1280 CUDA cores, 6GB of GDDR5 memory running at 8GHz (only a 6GB version will be available), and a boost clock of 1.7GHz that Nvidia claims is easily overclocked to 2GHz and beyond. Power supply is via a single 6-pin connector.

Like the GTX 1080 and GTX 1070, the GTX 1060 will be available from manufacturers like Asus, Zotac, and Gigabyte, as well as directly from Nvidia in Founders Edition form at a higher $299 (~£260) price. The extra $50 buys a dual-FET power supply, as well as a similar blower-style cooler to the more expensive Pascal cards, albeit one made out of plastic rather than metal.

As with the other Pascal cards, the smart money is on buying one of the partner editions, which will offer identical or better performance (thanks to factory overclocks) than the Founders Edition. Notably, Nvidia is promising that both the Founders Edition and partner cards will be available to buy at launch on July 19. However, given the supply issues surrounding the GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 (and subsequent price jacking by unscrupulous retailers), it might be best to take that promise with a pinch of salt for now.

Additionally, Anandtech confirms that partner cards will be available at launch, and only Nvidia will sell FE cards:

For the July 19th launch, much like their higher end cards NVIDIA is going to be launching with two designs and two price points. Officially the GTX 1060 starts at $249; this will be for partner custom cards, and I expect this will be for the usual single/dual fan open air cooler designs that we saw with the GTX 960. Meanwhile at $299 NVIDIA is launching a Founders Edition card, which implements a full blower.

However this is where the similarities end. Unlike the GTX 1080/1070 launch, the 19th is a hard launch for both the GTX 1060FE and for partner custom cards, and NVIDIA is expecting the bulk of the cards sold to be these custom cards. In this sense the GTX 1060 launch is more akin to the GTX 960 launch, as NVIDIA has more often than not opted to pass on producing reference cards for their mainstream cards.

In fact NVIDIA’s partners won’t even be selling the GTX 1060FE; the card will only be available through NVIDIA’s website. NVIIDA is calling the GTX 1060FE a “special limited edition” card, and though the company isn’t commenting on the matter, I strongly suspect that the GTX 1060FE is a limited run that NVIDIA will only be selling for a couple of months or so. NVIDIA has done similar things in the past, though ultimately when they curtain production is entirely up to them. I do wonder how NVIIDA’s partners feel about the company competing with them in the etail market, but with NVIDIA charging a significant $50/20% price premium, the partners have a lot of room to play with and improve on the NVIDIA reference design.

LewieP

Cool. Sounds like this would be a great card for anyone only interested in 1920x1080 gaming rather than 4k/VR going forward.

A shame that UK price will probably be like £230, or perhaps even £250.

Guess Who

Banned
Supposedly, only Nvidia is doing FE cards, not partners, and partner cards will be available at launch rather than delayed.

Regginator

Hm, I've been looking at a 480 but this seems a good option as well. That is, if I'm even going to upgrade, my 280X still serves me well. The 480 has a price tag of around 270 Euros here (8GB version), so I'm waiting to see what the 1060 will be priced at. And then of course WAIT FOR BENCHMARKS.

Teletraan1

Banned
Will be interested in seeing some benches and how it stacks up to a 480. Glad it is only 1 card with one ram config. Buddy of mine just built a PC with everything but the GPU since these cards were around the corner so it will be interesting to see which to recommend.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Why hello, potential new card.

How does this stack up against the 480?
On paper it looks better than the 480. Most likely marginally better performance, lower power consumption, and better overclocking.

Have to wait for the benchmarks to be sure though.

Guess Who

Banned
Anandtech confirms that partner cards will be available at launch, and only Nvidia will sell FE cards:

For the July 19th launch, much like their higher end cards NVIDIA is going to be launching with two designs and two price points. Officially the GTX 1060 starts at $249; this will be for partner custom cards, and I expect this will be for the usual single/dual fan open air cooler designs that we saw with the GTX 960. Meanwhile at $299 NVIDIA is launching a Founders Edition card, which implements a full blower.

However this is where the similarities end. Unlike the GTX 1080/1070 launch, the 19th is a hard launch for both the GTX 1060FE and for partner custom cards, and NVIDIA is expecting the bulk of the cards sold to be these custom cards. In this sense the GTX 1060 launch is more akin to the GTX 960 launch, as NVIDIA has more often than not opted to pass on producing reference cards for their mainstream cards.

In fact NVIDIA’s partners won’t even be selling the GTX 1060FE; the card will only be available through NVIDIA’s website. NVIIDA is calling the GTX 1060FE a “special limited edition” card, and though the company isn’t commenting on the matter, I strongly suspect that the GTX 1060FE is a limited run that NVIDIA will only be selling for a couple of months or so. NVIDIA has done similar things in the past, though ultimately when they curtain production is entirely up to them. I do wonder how NVIIDA’s partners feel about the company competing with them in the etail market, but with NVIDIA charging a significant $50/20% price premium, the partners have a lot of room to play with and improve on the NVIDIA reference design.

StereoVsn

On paper it looks better than the 480. Most likely marginally better performance, lower power consumption, and better overclocking.

Have to wait for the benchmarks to be sure though.
Yeah, if $250 manages to be a real price, AMD is once again going to be in tough spot. I do wonder at DX12 performance as well.

ryushe

Man, I almost wish my 290 wasn't kicking as much ass as it's been kicking because the GPU game is crazy now, but I can't responsibly get a new card for miniscule improvements (I play in 1080).

jmaine_ph

They are promising 980 performances if not better. Can't wait for the benchmarks. This might be my first card.

Mithos

Hm, I've been looking at a 480 but this seems a good option as well. That is, if I'm even going to upgrade, my 280X still serves me well. The 480 has a price tag of around 270 Euros here (8GB version), so I'm waiting to see what the 1060 will be priced at. And then of course WAIT FOR BENCHMARKS.

RX 480 is €285-300+ here, I expect €350-380 for a GTX 1060 at least (which is out of my price class)

Brinbe

All in! I only need to do 1080 and I'm coming from a 670, so this is gonna be a nice bday present for myself.

Guess Who

Banned
It should, but it wont, because why would partners have a lower price then the "FE" cards?

It sounds like FE cards won't be competing against custom cards, there will only be a limited run of FE cards sold through Nvidia's website (aka, not at retail).

Sulik2

If its actually sold at $250 AMD is dead. Their inability to get clock speeds where they wanted on the 480 is gonna kill them.

FaintDeftone

I'd still rather jump to the 1070 since it is a more logical upgrade to my 970, but this is a pretty nice card for the price.

Engell

I think the 480 is a better deal: cheaper and more future proof (dx12, vulkan).

how is it more future proof? its not like nvidia isn't supporting these features.
the only reason why AMD card got such a big boost from dx12 was that their dx11 implementation sucked balls. a gtx970 is still within 2-3fps of a RX480 in ashes of the singularity dx12 test. People are just like ooh why didn't nvidia get a big boost from dx12.. that because they had good dx11 implementation.

grendelrt

It should, but it wont, because why would partners have a lower price then the "FE" cards?

Almost all the partner cards are lower price than FE cards. My 1080 FTW was 20 dollars cheaper than a FE. The SC and Normal EVGA cards are even cheaper. Nvidia is the only one releasing FE on the 1060 as well, so all the partner cards will probably be cheaper.

martino

seems no sli is a good comprise if it is to bring this card at msrp price.
let's see how the paper differences turn in real life...

edit : time to turn tdp speech on guys !!! (sarcarsm)

Sounds great at $250, but it probably won't get there for awhile. Glad to see the 3GB version is gone or was pure speculation.

Unless Nvidia is able to produce alot of GP106s quickly. I think $239 8GB AIB 480 cards will be around by the time 1060 falls below $300. The 480 will still be plenty competitive.

Top Bottom