• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeForce GTX 1060 announced - July 19, 6GB, $249 MSRP/$299 Founder's

DPB

Would it be overkill to use one of these things as a PhysX dedicated GPU?

It would be a tremendous waste of money, there aren't very many games that use hardware Physx, the majority run off the CPU. Most of the ones that are hardware-accelerated are older games that would already run perfectly fine on a modern Nvidia card, so you wouldn't even notice the extra frames.

dr_rus

These benchmarks are not false - at least not because of this. There's a great answer to that stupid allegation from Futuremark developer in the first link you've posted.

All DX12 h/w support "async compute" since that's a mandatory feature of the API (also known as multiengine in DX12 API; "async compute" is AMD's marketing term really).

Some DX12 h/w is able to execute compute tasks concurrently with graphics and gain performance from this. At this moment it's cards based on GCN and Pascal architectures.

I'm pretty sure that AMD provides a lot of examples and advice for both consoles SDKs. It also doesn't have to be AMD who will write something optimized only for one architecture.

i dont think amd directly interfaces with console developers at all. pretty sure sony/microsoft provide their own support teams. their might be some indirect communication in terms of developers who do multiplatform games, but its not at all comparable to something like gameworks.

Alchemy

I'm not sure if I want this or the RX 480 but it'll probably just come down to whatever the fuck is available so who knows. Kinda hoping the 1060 has some decent availability :/

Dunno about false but a little bit of a storm has been kicked up with some claiming the way Futuremark have developed this benchmark is very kind to NV hardware.

The Futuremark 'dev' posted this:

FM_Jarnis said:
and just FYI so you don't think I'm just ignoring this thread:

Whole thread (and the Reddit threads - all six or seven of them - and a couple of other threads in other places - you guys have been posting this everywhere...) have been fowarded to the 3DMark dev team and our director of engineering and I have recommended that they should probably say something.

It is a weekend and they do not normaly work on weekends, so this may take a couple of days, but my guess is that they would further clarify this issue by expanding on the Technical Guide to be more detailed as to what 3DMark Time Spy does exactly.

Those yelling about refunds or throwing wild accusations of bias are recommended to calm down ever so slightly. I'm sure a lot more will be written on the oh-so-interesting subject of DX12 async compute over the coming days.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/223850/discussions/0/366298942110944664/?ctp=6

Durante

It seems like the "disappointment" of RX480 performing exactly as you would expect and not like the sillier of the pre-release rumours predicted has robbed a subset of AMD fans of the last shred of their sanity. Poor Futuremark. Apparently unless you are optimizing your renderer exclusively on GCN and noticeably to the detriment of all Nvidia architectures you are clearly in their pocket.

bj00rn_

Banned
It seems like the "disappointment" of RX480 performing exactly as you would expect and not like the sillier of the pre-release rumours predicted has robbed a subset of AMD fans of the last shred of their sanity. Poor Futuremark. Apparently unless you are optimizing your renderer exclusively on GCN and noticeably to the detriment of all Nvidia architectures you are clearly in their pocket.

The amount of rabid from these guys is funny, fascinating and scary at the same time.

I have to give it to the developer, they are handling the shitstorm in a surprisingly good way.

I'm not sure if I want this or the RX 480 but it'll probably just come down to whatever the fuck is available so who knows. Kinda hoping the 1060 has some decent availability :/

I'm still waiting for my RX 480 from NCIX (Canada), it's been over 2 weeks. They still have issues getting the GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 in stock. It's crazy.

No the real issue is, ethics in async shader queues.

dr_rus

i dont think amd directly interfaces with console developers at all. pretty sure sony/microsoft provide their own support teams. their might be some indirect communication in terms of developers who do multiplatform games, but its not at all comparable to something like gameworks.

And these support teams are getting the bulk of the info on how to use the h/w from h/w's vendor. It's not a big stretch to just assume that all console rendering code is written with AMD's recommendations in mind even though some do stand out with optimizations of which even AMD didn't think of earlier. Case is that most of these are either useless on NV h/w (because of a much better graphics frontend) or straight up hurting it (because of a worse compute / bandwidth / whatever capability).

Dunno about false but a little bit of a storm has been kicked up with some claiming the way Futuremark have developed this benchmark is very kind to NV hardware.

The Futuremark 'dev' posted this:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/223850/discussions/0/366298942110944664/?ctp=6

Then again, since this is based on the factual lack of performance drops on Maxwell with async enabled, this just shows that the person making this allegation don't know jack shit about how stuff works in h/w. There are no reasons why async compute would result in a performance drop when performed sequentially. What TS shows for Maxwell is pretty accurate of how a card which can't run compute queues concurrently with graphics one will react to them.

dex3108

Yes it does.

http://www.futuremark.com/downloads/3DMark_Technical_Guide.pdf

It was not tailored for any specific architecture. It overlaps different rendering passes for asynchronous compute, in paraller when possible. Drivers determine how they process these - multiple paraller queues are filled by the engine.

The reason Maxwell doesn't take a hit is because NVIDIA has explictly disabled async compute in Maxwell drivers. So no matter how much we pile things to the queues, they cannot be set to run asynchronously because the driver says "no, I can't do that". Basically NV driver tells Time Spy to go "async off" for the run on that card. If NVIDIA enables Asynch Compute in the drivers, Time Spy will start using it. Performance gain or loss depends on the hardware & drivers.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/223850/discussions/0/366298942110944664/#c366298942110979143

Jonboy

So if I want to get one of these when they go on sale the 19th, which retailers should I be watching? Amazon? Newegg?

Also, this is my first ever PC build so I'm a bit unsure on the best edition/company to go with for the 1060. Right now, I'm leaning toward MSI, Asus, or EVGA. Any preference or recommendation or do we need to wait for reviews to know for sure?

So if I want to get one of these when they go on sale the 19th, which retailers should I be watching? Amazon? Newegg?

Also, this is my first ever PC build so I'm a bit unsure on the best edition/company to go with for the 1060. Right now, I'm leaning toward MSI, Asus, or EVGA. Any preference or recommendation or do we need to wait for reviews to know for sure?
Amazon and Newegg with lots of refreshing. nowinstock.net might be of help, although I don't think that site has ever helped me.

I'm personally a fan of EVGA for their customer service and warranty that carries over, should you sell your 1060 some day. I had a 780 Ti with issues and they RMAed it with no arguments.

As far as the card itself, look for reviews, but they ought to all be within a hair's breadth of each other in terms of performance and cooling. So, look at what accessories, games, etc the card comes with, and the warranty (especially!), and of course also which is cheapest among your top choices. Other stuff like the cooler (is it sufficient for your needs if you plan to OC, for example), if the card has a backplate, things like fan stop (stops the fans spinning if there's too low a load) for silence, etc are important but not as important.

Personally (but this is just me) of the choices you listed I'd be happy with any of those three. I'm happier with the ASUS and MSI coolers but don't care about GPU OCing, and all should perform really well while being very quiet.

Oxn

I wonder if they start selling at mid night.

Im considering either the zotac amp edition or the inno3d ichill x3 if they decide to sell that in america on release week.

Inno3D-GeForce-GTX-1060-iChill-X3_4.jpg

I know inno3d has not been selling their high end cards here, but they have in their mid tier cards, to little success.

Jonboy

As far as the card itself, look for reviews, but they ought to all be within a hair's breadth of each other in terms of performance and cooling. So, look at what accessories, games, etc the card comes with, and the warranty (especially!), and of course also which is cheapest among your top choices. Other stuff like the cooler (is it sufficient for your needs if you plan to OC, for example), if the card has a backplate, things like fan stop (stops the fans spinning if there's too low a load) for silence, etc are important but not as important.

Personally (but this is just me) of the choices you listed I'd be happy with any of those three. I'm happier with the ASUS and MSI coolers but don't care about GPU OCing, and all should perform really well while being very quiet.

Amazon and Newegg with lots of refreshing. nowinstock.net might be of help, although I don't think that site has ever helped me.

I'm personally a fan of EVGA for their customer service and warranty that carries over, should you sell your 1060 some day. I had a 780 Ti with issues and they RMAed it with no arguments.

Thanks. Just what I was looking for.

I've never had my eye on GPU this close to release. Is just how the industry is? No preorders, no guarantees, no prerelease reviews so we can decide before launch day, just F5ing and hope you get lucky?

I've never had my eye on GPU this close to release. Is just how the industry is? No preorders, no guarantees, no prerelease reviews so we can decide before launch day, just F5ing and hope you get lucky?

Yeah, one of the downsides of being a PC gamer. It's kind of the wild,wild west when it comes to CPU and GPU launches. I refuse to give in and pay the over the top markups, though.

Oxn

Yeah, one of the downsides of being a PC gamer. It's kind of the wild,wild west when it comes to CPU and GPU launches. I refuse to give in and pay the over the top markups, though.

Im ok with like a $20 gpu markup right now only cause i got no gpu in my system, and my igpu aint working, so im without a desktop the past week.

xemumanic

I usually stick with EVGA, and the one time I didn't, I went with an MSI (a 560 Ti Twin Frozr II). Eventually, one of the fans started acting up, and it was just easier for me to get an EVGA 750 Ti SC. It had improved video decoding abilities, a full size HDMI port, and didn't even require a 6-Pin power connector, making it a good hand me down to someone.

I guess the fan situation was just the luck of the draw, but I'm eyeing the EVGA models again, and they are Mini-ITX. Would they fit into my ATX case? I've never heard of anything Mini-ITX except motherboards.

Im ok with like a $20 gpu markup right now only cause i got no gpu in my system, and my igpu aint working, so im without a desktop the past week.

I'd probably pay $20 extra too, but not $200 markups or more like we've seen with the 1070's or 1080's.

Oxn

I usually stick with EVGA, and the one time I didn't, I went with an MSI (a 560 Ti Twin Frozr II). Eventually, one of the fans started acting up, and it was just easier for me to get an EVGA 750 Ti SC. It had improved video decoding abilities, a full size HDMI port, and didn't even require a 6-Pin power connector, making it a good hand me down to someone.

I guess the fan situation was just the luck of the draw, but I'm eyeing the EVGA models again, and they are Mini-ITX. Would they fit into my ATX case? I've never heard of anything Mini-ITX except motherboards.

Mini itx videocards is just a code word for small. I dont believe there is any real definitive specs to be considered a mini itx videocard, unlike a mini itx mobo.

Many itx cases also accept full sized giant gpus.

xemumanic

Mini itx videocards is just a code word for small. I dont believe there is any real definitive specs to be considered a mini itx videocard, unlike a mini itx mobo.

Many itx cases also accept full sized giant gpus.

Makes sense.

Looks like barring something better catching my eye, I'll be getting one of those.

Thanks for the help.

Well that's bollocks. I'll just wait for reviews and benchmarks so I can make an informed choice. If there are shortages then I'll just wait. Paying the Canada markup is bad enough as it is.

Durante

That seems to be more of an American phenomenon. You can generally preorder GPUs over here.
(The problem is that you can't really tell reliably which stores will get which model at which time)

That seems to be more of an American phenomenon. You can generally preorder GPUs over here.
(The problem is that you can't really tell reliably which stores will get which model at which time)
Well I'm from Canada, but it wouldn't be the first time Canada imitated the US.

Yoday

Same here, EVGA rocks in the warranty department. I had a 580 die on me after three years and they replaced it with a 2GB 760 very quickly and with no hassle at all. Their warranty is so good that your card dying after a few years can lead to a free small upgrade.

Jonboy

So should we plan to refresh a certain Amazon/Newegg page or just the main home page?

dr_rus

what time are these going up for sale tomorrow?

or am i better off sniping this page? https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1060/
NDA ends on 6AM PT which is 2PM UTC/London. I'd expect that sales will start on the same time as NDA ends.

Have any European retailers said anything yet? I haven't seen a whisper about this card from retailers then again I might not be looking hard enough

This picture is from a retailer from Netherlands:

gainward_01.jpg

I believe it was posted on their Facebook page but they took it down since then.

Tranquilo

Banned
Just swallowed my pride and need to ask:
Will the 1060 be compatible with my old Z68 mobo? Gonna be rocking it with a sandy bridge i5 2400 and 8 gigs of ddr3 ram because... Well, because budget.

Yea decided to do that myself (as got a 970 atm anyway). Reckon I'll wait till a couple of free games are given away like i did with the 970.

That's not a good upgrade even if it ends up being a bit faster. You should go for at least a 1070 or just wait.

Rendition

I searched various U.S. retailers and found no product listings yet, unlike the RX 480 which had a few product listings few days before launch (B&H Photo etc.).

Anyone know when the U.S. review embargo is officially?

I also called my local Microcenter just now, they just said call tomorrow morning. He said he couldn't say anything, but they will likely sell it at $249 if they have it.

I searched various U.S. retailers and found no product listings yet, unlike the RX 480 which had a few product listings few days before launch (B&H Photo etc.).

Anyone know when the U.S. review embargo is officially?

I also called my local Microcenter just now, they just said call tomorrow morning. He said he couldn't say anything, but they will likely sell it at $249 if they have it.

In the NVIDIA Reddit thread, 6am PDT

Top Bottom