• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeForce GTX 1060 announced - July 19, 6GB, $249 MSRP/$299 Founder's

Curious to see this launch. I finally broke down and got the 1070 G1. I figured fuck it. I'm tired of waiting for 480 AIBs and I had the money so might as well go big. KInd of mad I paid more than $380, but I won't wait as long to upgrade next time.

FoxSpirit

Curious to see this launch. I finally broke down and got the 1070 G1. I figured fuck it. I'm tired of waiting for 480 AIBs and I had the money so might as well go big. KInd of mad I paid more than $380, but I won't wait as long to upgrade next time.
Let's see, what is the going rate for a 1070 here? 500 Euros? *rubs eyes* 500 fucking Euros?!?!?!?!?
That's $550. Eff that.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
So what's better, the rx 480 8go or this ?

Getting one of the two.

Upgrading from a 660.

Reviews are releasing tomorrow. You should have a better answer then. Even then, it'll depend on what you're looking for, as each product will likely excel in different areas, even if they are direct competitors.

There are videos appearing on youtube last 1hr not sure if genuine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTq1nPgpiXU

This would be nice.

Vaettir

Getting one of the two.

Upgrading from a 660.

Depending on the price, an AIB RX 480 with the PCI-E power draw resolved could be a good deal. However I'd say the 1060 is better if they can keep the price close to MSRP. Eitherway, both AIB cards will be within the realm of $20-30 apart. Pick your favorite cooler and enjoy what you get regardless.

ZOONAMI

Getting one of the two.

Upgrading from a 660.

Imo if you can wait for a custom rx480 I would. All the leaked benches put both cards very close, and the extra 2gb should be worth it in the long run. AMD's drivers I expect will improve the card more over time as well, but that remains to be seen. Either way both cards should be very comparable in price and performance, the rx480 just offers 2gb more vram for the same price. Also freesync monitors are much cheaper than a comparable gsync version.

dr_rus

Getting one of the two.

Upgrading from a 660.

1060 will be a bit faster than 480 but it will cost a bit more too.

Imo if you can wait for a custom rx480 I would. All the leaked benches put both cards very close, and the extra 2gb should be worth it in the long run. AMD's drivers I expect will improve the card more over time as well, but that remains to be seen. Either way both cards should be very comparable in price and performance, the rx480 just offers 2gb more vram for the same price. Also freesync monitors are much cheaper than a comparable gsync version.

Custom 1060 are likely to be a bigger improvement on stock 1060 than custom 480 will be on stock 480. Prices on 1060 OC customs will be higher than whatever 480 OCs will have as well though. The cards do not perform very close to each other unless you're talking only about titles known to favor AMD's h/w where this is true. 1060 will win on average and it will win pretty heavily in titles which favor NV's cards. At least that's my current expectation based on what specs we know and what I've heard. I guess you could say that +2GBs on 480 and the GCN base common with consoles give them a bit of a better future proofing so if you're worried about that then 480 is a better choice even though it will be slower right now.

I always get the 60. Not this time. 1070 hen prices come down will be mine.

1060 is actually pretty good compared to what we've had with 660, 760 and 960. Thanks to it's 192 bit bus it's landing a bit above a spot which is typically expected from a x60 card of the lineup.

But anyway, I'm sure tomorrow will be interesting. I'm sure there will be people who will decide to go with 1060 instead of 1070 for which they've planned earlier.

Let's see, what is the going rate for a 1070 here? 500 Euros? *rubs eyes* 500 fucking Euros?!?!?!?!?
That's $550. Eff that.

Yeah fuck that for sure. I paid $429, but I got $20 off using my Amazon card. So in the end $30 over MSRP which for an OC card with a back plate seems good.

Type_Raver

For the guys in Aus, i remember doing a search on staticice and found a 1060 only once, as it was quickly removed too (shouldve screenshot it).

The price was $549 AUS.

ZOONAMI

1060 will be a bit faster than 480 but it will cost a bit more too.

Custom 1060 are likely to be a bigger improvement on stock 1060 than custom 480 will be on stock 480. Prices on 1060 OC customs will be higher than whatever 480 OCs will have as well though. The cards do not perform very close to each other unless you're talking only about titles known to favor AMD's h/w where this is true. 1060 will win on average and it will win pretty heavily in titles which favor NV's cards. At least that's my current expectation based on what specs we know and what I've heard. I guess you could say that +2GBs on 480 and the GCN base common with consoles give them a bit of a better future proofing so if you're worried about that then 480 is a better choice even though it will be slower right now.

1060 is actually pretty good compared to what we've had with 660, 760 and 960. Thanks to it's 192 bit bus it's landing a bit above a spot which is typically expected from a x60 card of the lineup.

But anyway, I'm sure tomorrow will be interesting. I'm sure there will be people who will decide to go with 1060 instead of 1070 for which they've planned earlier.

I agree with everything, but I think the performance will be close across a wide range of titles. Just because the 1060 might win in more titles by a bit doesn't mean performance isn't close. I dont think we've seen anything to suggest the 1060 will even be definitely 10% better than a 480 across a wide range of titles. And honestly based on the 1070 and 1080, the customs hardly do any better than reference if you can tolerate 70-80% fan speed. My 1070 FE does just as well as the aibs and fans are Max 75%, which honestly isn't noticeably louder than my previous 970 ssc. It does 2050/9200 stable and posts as good or better benches than virtually all of the aib 1070s I've seen. If aib 480s can do 1400mhz+ somewhat consistently, I think that would scale to better improvement than aib 1060s over the FE/reference. Doesn't seem unlikely when out of the box we are seeing 1350 for the aib 480s. On the memory side ref 480s can also do 9000mhz+ so I don't think there's a difference there.

As always, wait for reviews, but I do think long term the 480 will eclipse the 1060 overall for the reasons you stated, and I think the 256 bus will also be an advantage for resolutions above 1080P. Of course this is all just speculation and remains to be seen. Buy for now, not later, unless you won't upgrade for at least 2-3 years.

Oxn

I always get the 60. Not this time. 1070 hen prices come down will be mine.

I got a 780, was planning on either 1080 or 1080ti, but then saw a good value in the 1060 (as opposed to the other x60s), and will go with that. I feel like this will be a really good longevity model for its price range.

I'll go high end the next time.

I just built my gaming PC last week and have been waiting for either the AIB RX 480 or the GTX 1060. Getting tired of waiting, might pull the trigger on the 1060 if I can get it off Amazon or Newegg tomorrow. Will a 550W 80+ Gold PSU be good enough?

Oxn

This cooler is so freaking rediculously overdone for a 120Tdp card.

Inno3D-GeForce-GTX-1060-iChill-X3_3-1.jpg

12inches long. 3 fans, and takes up 2.5slots, lol.

Phionoxx

I got a 780, was planning on either 1080 or 1080ti, but then saw a good value in the 1060 (as opposed to the other x60s), and will go with that. I feel like this will be a really good longevity model for its price range.

I'll go high end the next time.

I'm in a similar position. Currently have a 3GB 780 GTX and am leaning towards either an AIB 480 or 1060 as my next card as a hold over until the HBM2 situation gets figured out.

Oxn

I'm in a similar position. Currently have a 3GB 780 GTX and am leaning towards either an AIB 480 or 1060 as my next card as a hold over until the HBM2 situation gets figured out.

Not a similiar position, pretty much the exact same position lol.

I sold my 780 already for $150, so now i have no videocard. Along with that i sold a cpu i5 3330, and both those sales will fund my new gpu.

I also feel the same way. Not knowing what the hbm2 situation will be for the 1080ti dont sit well with me, and im not impressed enough with the 1080 at that price range it sit at right now. For 500 or 550, i would gone with it.

Yeah, I'm on a 760 and will go either 480 or 1060. Was set on a 1070, but the increased pricing has soured me on it. Was only really interested for vr, but came to my senses about buying a $400+ card and a $600-800 headset. So I'll just stick with a good 1080p card for now.

snatches

Yeah, I'm on a 760 and will go either 480 or 1060. Was set on a 1070, but the increased pricing has soured me on it. Was only really interested for vr, but came to my senses about buying a $400+ card and a $600-800 headset. So I'll just stick with a good 1080p card for now.

This is me exactly. I really like the nvidia ecosystem and driver update frequency. My 760 has been solid. However the dx12 performance, recent posting of Vulcan benchmarks and potential for async compute being more widely adopted has me concerned and suddenly split. All seem to favour AMD. Waiting for aib benchmarks for both to settle the argument.

jdstorm

Banned
For me I'm probably going to wait to see if Vulkan will make a difference in getting stable crossfire functionality. If a crossfire build is viable I'll probably go with a 480 and buy a 2nd one later after a price drop. If not it's probably a 1060 due to the low power draw

snatches

For me I'm probably going to wait to see if Vulkan will make a difference in getting stable crossfire functionality. If a crossfire build is viable I'll probably go with a 480 and buy a 2nd one later after a price drop. If not it's probably a 1060 due to the low power draw

Yeah that's another thing. The questions hanging around crossfire and no sli on 1060. Another factor to consider.

Multi GPU will always be at the mercy of developer and vary on a game to game basis, even moreso in DirectX 12. Unless you can stand the hassle of inconsistent performance gains and frametime issues, and get a 2nd one for extremely cheap, just use the addtional money to upgrade to a better single GPU.

So should we plan to refresh a certain Amazon/Newegg page or just the main home page?

Do you have a certain model in mind? I'm a Classified guy, so I usually just refresh that model's page. If you are just looking for the 1060 in general, then I guess refresh the main page for that.

Durante

That's $550. Eff that.
You should remember that, depending on where you are in Europe, probably ~80€ of those 500 are taxes. Still a bit more expensive, but not nearly as extreme as it looks.

and why should that be?
I assume he means that in high-level APIs SLI could be implemented by the GPU vendor in the driver, while in low-level APIs it's entirely up to the developer.

Zojirushi

This reminds me of the Fury (X) / 980ti Situation where it felt like AMD announced their stuff way in advance and then the 980ti came out of nowhere, released before(?) Fury and suddenly AMD was fucked.

Hmmm I'd rather wait to see performance in newer games than old Crysis 3 DX11.

That is where my choice will be made between these two cards - performance in games released this year or very recently (DOOM, The Division, Warhammer, Hitman etc) as we can assume that games released last year will run great.

I want to see what the indicators are when it comes to the 1060 performance in DX12/Vulkan and I want to see how game performance scales with overclocking. In terms of overclocking, we know now that the 480 Nitro+ will have a boost clock of 1340Mhz so I will proffer the comparison could be 480 @ 1400 vs 1060 @ 2000 core clock for a generally achievable overclock on both sides and what performance this lands in games. Could go either way on who comes out on top.

Top Bottom