• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeForce GTX 1060 announced - July 19, 6GB, $249 MSRP/$299 Founder's

Mr Swine

Banned
I wonder if it's possible for the 1060 to be 20% slower than the 1070 or would it cut to close to it (profit wise) on Nvidias side?

Should be interesting to see how many tested the card with something lower than an i7.

Digital Foundries discovered that Sandy Bridge i5's are starting to bottleneck 1070's and higher in modern titles. Odds are a SB i7 would have less problems depending on the title, but it's safe to say you'd want IVB or newer i5's with most GPU's. That being said, the 1060 should be fine with most i5's and probably plenty alright with many i3's.

dr_rus

Looks like most prices will be between $250 and $300 but there will be some OC editions which will go higher than $300 even. (US only obviously, EU is a different story.)

Ashes implement mGPU via DX12 which doesn't need driver or device level SLI support. You can use several cards in DX12 (and VK probably, not sure) without any SLI bridge or even SLI driver support. Having them all installed in the same system is enough.

when are reviews supposed to come up?

6AM PT

Edit: http://videocardz.com/62372/msi-geforce-gtx-1060-6gtoc-pictured

MSI-GeForce-GTX-1060-6GTOC-4.jpg

It’s called GTX 1060 6GTOC and it will go on sale for 249.99 USD.

MSI-GeForce-GTX-1060-ARMOR-1.jpg

MSI-GeForce-GTX-1060-GAMING-X-1.jpg

Pretty sure I've settled on getting a 1060 assuming there are no (major) issues with them. My GTX 670 has served me well but I think it's time to upgrade and the 1060 seems like a good amount of bang for the buck.

Lethal

Neo Member
Digital Foundries discovered that Sandy Bridge i5's are starting to bottleneck 1070's and higher in modern titles. Odds are a SB i7 would have less problems depending on the title, but it's safe to say you'd want IVB or newer i5's with most GPU's. That being said, the 1060 should be fine with most i5's and probably plenty alright with many i3's.

Tbh, I feel that my 3570k @ 4.5 may be bottle necking me. My benchmarks on my g1 1080 are a bit lower than expected. Gonna grab a new 170 board and a 6600k with some high speed ram.

Any chance we'll see a low profile 1060 or are we going to have to wait for the 1050 for that?

I managed to finagle good deals on a ref RX 480 and a GTX 1070 FE for my two primary systems...so will test 'em out on all my rigs and decide whether to keep one or both...or return and wait for AIB models if I don't like the noise/heat profiles.

Anywho, with that out of the way, my next upgrade is a good low profile GPU to upgrade my secondary HTPC's 750Ti to something more capable. I'm guessing the RX 470 won't go LP, so the best we're looking at this gen will be the 1050 or RX 460...

That MSI 6GTOC looks cheap and barebones hence $250 price. And I'm hearing from a PC Gamer guy most of the partner cards will be widely available in late August only which is frustrating if true.

Condom

Any chance we'll see a low profile 1060 or are we going to have to wait for the 1050 for that?

I've already got a RX 480 and GTX 1070 on the way for my two primary systems, but want a good low profile card to upgrade my secondary HTPC's 750Ti to something more capable. I'm guessing the RX 470 won't go LP, so the best we're looking at this gen will be the 1050 or RX 460...
There is a mini version from Zotac maybe you can look at that

elfinke

God damn at the $499 price here in Australia for this thing (6gb editions). Even with a current 20% off eBay voucher, it's still wildly overpriced.

Bloody hell.

I managed to finagle good deals on a RX 480 and a GTX 1070 for my two primary systems...so will test 'em out on all my rigs and decide whether to keep one or both...or return and wait for AIB models if I don't like the noise/heat profiles.

Anywho, with that out of the way, my next upgrade is a good low profile GPU to upgrade my secondary HTPC's 750Ti to something more capable. I'm guessing the RX 470 won't go LP, so the best we're looking at this gen will be the 1050 or RX 460...

If you meant mini, there are, not sure whether there are any half height cards out there if that's what you want.

DPB

That MSI 6GTOC looks cheap and barebones hence $250 price. And I'm hearing from a PC Gamer guy most of the partner cards will be widely available in late August only which is frustrating if true.

It looks fine to me, it still has two fans and two heatpipes, plus it's smaller than the other cards. 120W cards don't need foot-long triple-slot heatsinks with 3 fans, like some of the more ridiculous designs.

It looks fine to me, it still has two fans and two heatpipes, plus it's smaller than the other cards. 120W cards don't need foot-long triple-slot heatsinks with 3 fans, like some of the more ridiculous designs.

I know but it's not for me, looks budget. No backplate, no LED lighting, two heatpipes only. PCB will probably be as cheap as they can get away with too.

It would be better if the MSI Armor was $250.

Type_Raver

God damn at the $499 price here in Australia for this thing (6gb editions). Even with a current 20% off eBay voucher, it's still wildly overpriced.

Bloody hell.

Tell me more about this 20% off ebay voucher please. Fellow aussie here also feeling the sting!

Italy prices (from reddit):

dwm4kb4ml3ax.jpg

I hope this is a bad joke. I could get a 970 when it came out for less than that if I remember correctly.

Xater

Italy prices (from reddit):

dwm4kb4ml3ax.jpg

I hope this is a bad joke. I could get a 970 when it came out for less than that if I remember correctly.

350 to 399? lol

Nope not gonna pay that. I could not see myself paying more than 320 for an overclocked one.

Tbh, I feel that my 3570k @ 4.5 may be bottle necking me. My benchmarks on my g1 1080 are a bit lower than expected. Gonna grab a new 170 board and a 6600k with some high speed ram.

That could very well be. IVB isn't much of an IPC bump over SB, and I think DF's tests were on decently OCed SB and IVB CPU's, I can't quite remember but I want to say between 4.2 and 4.5 GHz. I only paid attention to the SB results because I'm using a 2500k still--plan on upgrading soon, but my GPU needs to be replaced first.

Sizzel

y ram?

As far as the bottleneck... is it? when you looks at GPU vs CPU usage in benches ..is it?
basically..
if(cpuUsage===100% && gpuUsage <100%)

bttlnckd

If they're anything like that here, I'm straight back to a AIB RX480.
The Reference 480 I had ran things great but card ran super hot and very loud. Happy to get a custom RX480.

Durante

I know but it's not for me, looks budget. No backplate, no LED lighting, two heatpipes only. PCB will probably be as cheap as they can get away with too.
You say that as if it's a disadvantage.

Also, two heatpipes should be plenty for a 120W card. And for these short PCBs a backplate is also more of a visual gimmick than anything of real engineering significance.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions that those are the prices based on just one listing. They may be cheaper we'll have to wait and see.

You say that as if it's a disadvantage.

Also, two heatpipes should be plenty for a 120W card. And for these short PCBs a backplate is also more of a visual gimmick than anything of real engineering significance.

Small quibbles I know but I do actually want a card with red or white LEDs on the side as I've got a Corsair Air 540 and a big arse window to er...show off my components inside.

kami_sama

That's a site from Hong Kong.

Anyway, looking at that I don't know if the 1060 is worth it over the 480. I do wanna see overlcocked versions of both though.

At the european prices, no way José.
I'm buying a AIB 480 or 1070 at this rate.

byropoint

What the hell is going on with the prices this generation? At €400 the 1060 is 2x the price of the card it's replacing, I don't remember that happening before.

Regginator

Loooool at Euro prices if true. This GPU gen is ridiculous when it comes to pricing.

I'm relatively new to PC gaming, ~3 years, and I bought a pre-owned 280X that served me well (and still does), but I was meaning to upgrade, and there's a big difference between the suggested retail prices versus actual prices. Has this always been the case? I know, supply and demand, yadda yadda, but can't they really not up their supply? Seems so weird.

Durante

I dunno isn't it a case of higher ROPs and lower memory bandwidth on 1060 versus the reverse on 480, and how that would tell at higher resolutions.
Could be. I was thinking more of the fact that most games tested are still DX11, and that RX480 will run into some degree of CPU limitation in at least some of them at 1080p, at least if a site isn't testing with a very fast/OC'd CPU.

The only logical explanation would be that retailer is price gouging and that prices will be a bit lower than that in other parts of EU like Germany, we'll know exactly what in less than 2h from now. (NDA should lift at 9am ET/ 3pm CEST right?)

Xater

I'm relatively new to PC gaming, ~3 years, and I bought a pre-owned 280X that served me well (and still does), but I was meaning to upgrade, and there's a big difference between the suggested retail prices versus actual prices. Has this always been the case? I know, supply and demand, yadda yadda, but can't they really not up their supply? Seems so weird.

I mean I have been out of PC gaming for a while, but when I was still very active (around Doom 3) it was definitely not like this. In fact looking around it was easy to find cards for cheaper than they were advertised as in magazines.

Durante

What the hell is going on with the prices this generation? At &#8364;400 the 1060 is 2x the price of the card it's replacing, I don't remember that happening before.
It's not going to be &#8364;400. Even in those pre-release Italian prices from a single shop the cheapest is more like &#8364;350. I assume that post-launch in countries where you are actually going to buy hardware it will dip around or below &#8364;300.

I mean, that same listing shows an RX480 at &#8364;320.

ISee

Prices were always higher for most 'good' custom' designs for the first couple of months, because they were practically sold out for a very long time.
But this gen. prices are more out of control then before. Mostly because of Nvidias Founders Edition BS and the fact that they control a huge chunk of the market and started to charge premium because AMD has nothing that can challenge them in the top performance tier.

Top Bottom