• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gen 8 time capsule - what are your five items?

cormack12

Gold Member
GAF,

We have been tasked with populating a time capsule that we will open in 2025. When we open it in the future a host of items will spill out that best represent Gen 8 so far. You are allowed five items to insert. So, what's the best of this generation - it must be video game related. So you can choose five games, or you can choose a couple of games, a collectible and a figurine if you want. Particular artwork from a game, an E3 clip, game reveal and so on. I look forward to your entries!

Nymphae

Banned
Bloodborne, Doom, SFV, Spider-Man.....and I can't think of another at the moment so I'm gonna say the Burnout Paradise Remaster.

Hudo

A sheet of paper with online account information,
a season pass for some game,
a game box with a download code in it,
ads from Battlefield V's marketing campaign that have #EVERYONESBATTLEFIELD on them,
a Fortnite Battle Pass for microtransactions.

CJY

Banned
I've never heard of any kind of time capsule that is designed to be opened 5 years after it's sealed. Did you mean 2125? or perhaps 3025? I don't see the point if only 5 years. So I'm finding it hard to come up with anything.

Let's say I wanna put in God of War (2018), what value is it gonna have coming from a time capsule 5 years in the future if it can be just downloaded from PSN instead? I mean, what kind of historical significance would it have? Am I just missing the point completely?

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Best represents or best? Because that is very different.

I'd pick (for the latter):
- Super Mario Odyssey
- Pikmin 3
- Fire Emblem Fates Conquest (or preferrably limited edition with all three episodes)
- Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
- Super Mario 3D World

None of these games are close to a correct answer to the former (which would probably be Fortnite, Overwatch, Pokémon Go, GTA5).

Also, I see no reason why it needs to go into a time capsule, thanks to phyiscal releases still existing I will just have all those games still in 2025.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Sony's E3's from 2015 to 2017
God Of War.
And Microsoft's famous Xbox one announcement.
Also a very long list which will be on an encrypted USB of bugged launched titles which you can only read if you log onto a site and pay a small fee of 3:99. We'll call it a microtransaction

Mine isn't the best but it sums it up for me

Last edited:

kunonabi

I'm fairly out touch with the mainstream so my list would pretty much just be what I'd remember most.

-The Wonderful 101, Xenoblade X, and Metal Gear Solid V were the best games from this generation so they would take up 3 slots.

-Some sort of tribute to Iwata. Maybe one of his old keynotes or a collection of his Iwata Asks interviews

-The other pillar of this gen for me was the 3DS but if that doesn't count I'm not sure what else I'd pick. I'd want to stay mostly positive instead of getting into the awful monetization and censorship policies that have taken route. I guess an Amiibo since I've certainly spent enough on them.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
5 copies of Fallout 76 to remind people how bad life can be

For real though, Bloodborne, BOTW, RDR2, The Witcher 3, God of War. Boring answer, but hey.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I’d put in Sonic Mania, 3 bad Sonic games, and a copy of the Sonic the Movie trailer. Future generations will understand the struggle of being a Sonic fan in these dark times and how Mania was our only bright spot.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Smash Bros 5
3D World
Uncharted 4
Prey

Codes 208

-a launch ps4 and switch (with a ‘how to launch system’ manual.)
-an Xbox one S and an Elite controller (with a ‘how to fix your shit’ manual.)
-a ps+ and NOS sub card to remind people that this was the gen Sony and Nintendo caved in on online.
-a Wii U gamepad (a reminder of what could’ve been.)

As far as games this gen is the gen of remakes, ports and cinematic stories so I’d say throw in GoW, UC4, HZD, BotW, gta5, Handsome Jack Collection, skyrim, MCC, TLoU:R, DS:R, Crash and Spyro trilogies, MK8: DX, And DKC:TF.
With some gems like Bloodborne, cuphead, Witcher 3, stardew valley, sf5, dbfz and monster hunter world.

Let’s also throw in a snes classic and genesis mini with a note saying “rivalry reborn.”

Last edited:
I'd throw in a Nintendo 3ds with a copy of ocarina of time and animal crossing new leaf. Don't care what anyone says, the no-glasses 3d tech was and still is awesome.

Add a box of amiibos to remember that nintendo went full on milking the consumer for cash.

An Xbox kinect to remember that kinect died.

An Xbox elite controller because it is a thing of beauty.

And some VR gaming paraphernalia because that's a thing that has been really pushed hard this gen.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I would put this in a loot box, than a capsule because that's whats in today's current games, loot boxes.
The Menu:
UC4, Naughty Dog stepped up their game with Uncharted 4.
Battlefront 2015, great in short bursts and I think gamers of 2025 would like it the best out of all Dice's games.
Halo 5, best console exclusive on Xbox One
Breath of the Wild
VR Headset, 2025, we'll have virtual reality right. Hopefully, as it progresses.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
- Nintendo Switch
- Zelda: BotW
- A PC
- The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
- A printout of a collection of articles from Polygon/Kotaku/Waypoint (R.I.P) for future people to laugh at and shake their head.

1. $10 PSN Code (Printed on a Gamestop Receipt)
2. $10 XBL Code (Also printed on a Gamestop Receipt)
3. A Replica EA Loot Box
4. Anthem or Fallout 76
5. Microtransactions

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Ok, so I've had a think - I'd probably go with

1. Resogun: To show that even in this generation the core arcade elements can be reimagined and still underpin the replayable and fun nature of gaming
2. Probably a lot of articles about skepticism on streaming. Specifically Azure, Stadia and PSNow to reflect on
3. Maybe a physical v retail sales ratio for EU/US/JP
4. Picture of an XP bar or Skill tree
5. Gamepass/EA Access details as the first subscription services begin to drop in

kunonabi

This is a major exercise in futility. This gen isn’t even over yet.

It is for the most part. Nintendo already moved on, Sony has a small handful of titles left, and the Mircorsoft barely showed up to begin with. If you arent a Sony fan it's really not that early.

Silvawuff

A photo of a GameStop, a bag of Doritos, a USB drive containing videos of current gaming trends/popular streamers, a copy of NieR:Automata, and a bottle of no more tears baby shampoo.

Meowzers

Fifa 15
Fifa 16
Fifa 17
Fifa 19
Red Dead 2

(And I've included a personal note.)

''Hello future generation. It's the shooting that counts.''

chozen

1. E3 2013 FFXV / KH3 Reveal (Not the actual games, just the reveals)
2. Persona 5
3. BOTW
4. God of War
5. Destiny Franchise

Top Bottom