Gen. Mattis: Russia interfered in midterm election

Apr 3, 2018
Defense Secretary James Mattis said Saturday that Russian operatives attempted to interfere in the 2018 midterm elections, apparently confirming for the first time that Moscow attempted to meddle in last month's elections.

Mattis spoke of the relationship between the Trump administration and Russian President Vladimir Putin during an interview Saturday at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in California.

"There is no doubt the relationship has worsened. He tried again to muck around in our elections this last month," Mattis said. "We are seeing a continued effort around those lines."

Mattis said the Trump administration and other NATO allies have pressed Russia repeatedly on un-democratic actions, but to no avail.

"We're dealing with someone we simply cannot trust," he added.

https://thehill.com/policy/international/419282-mattis-russia-interfered-in-2018-midterms

But, Trump asked Putin if he did and Putin denied it right? It was a strong denial folks, the best.....

Should we expect a tweet from Trump saying how Mattis "was always low energy and a liar! SAD!!!"?

Jan 13, 2018
Mattis is pretty based in that he actually denies Trump whatever Fox News influenced declaration of war he's seeking at any given point in time. Just seems like one of the better people within the administration.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Feb 5, 2008
did they ever spend that money that was appropriated to prevent election hacking and influencing?

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2010
The world will be better off once Vladimir Putin is no longer in it.

... Michael Cohen, pleaded guilty to making misstatements to Congress about Trump's business dealings in Russia, while agreeing to cooperate further with Robert Mueller's special counsel investigation.
Also, this little bit. Amazing how we've since the start of the investigation gone from "NO DEALS! NO NOTHING" to various Russian officials and Trump's underlings pleading guilty to tax evasion, campaign finance violations, lying to Congress, lying to the FBI, obstruction of justice and conspiracy to commit an offence against the United States to "lightly looked at doing a building somewhere in Russia." A lot of people are going to jail for all planning to cover up and lie about Trump's legal business interests?

Jul 26, 2009
This article is not about Trump denying Russian significantly affecting the midterm elections. Why are you trying to make it seem so?

Where are the quotes? Where is the proof?

Apr 3, 2018
This article is not about Trump denying Russian significantly affecting the midterm elections. Why are you trying to make it seem so?

Where are the quotes? Where is the proof?
I know I shouldn't because you will just call it fake news (despite it being a direct quote from Trump) but anyway:

Asked if he believed US intelligence agencies, which concluded that Russiainterfered in the 2016 election to help him defeat Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton, he said he was not convinced. “I don’t see any reason why it would be” Russia, Mr Trump said. “President Putin was extremely strong and powerful in his denial today.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/wor...es-putin-denial-of-russian-meddling-1.3566495

Apr 3, 2018
Okay. Article #1 is about the 2018 midterms. Article #2 is about the 2016 general election.
I'm not sure how much clearer I can make it.

Gen Mattis is saying that Putin/Russia is continuing to meddle in US elections, from 2016 to 2018.

Trump is saying that all these people are wrong, including Gen Mattis, because he asked Putin if he did and Putin gave a "strong and powerful denial".

So either, we are to believe the words of:

1)Gen Mattis and the rest of the US intelligence agencies, who say Putin is and will continue to interfere with US elections,

Or

2) Trump and Putin who say that they didn't and have no reason to.

I hope that helped.

The OP has a terminal case of TDS. Using Trump's response to the 2016 presidential election to read his mind on what he might possibly say about the midterm elections. The thread was only made to project this nonsense. As you can see not many people here took the bait by the lack of replies.
Lol you guys and your "memes".

Mattis said that Putin "didn't learn his lesson" and that he CONTINUES to interefere in US elections (2016 and now) and that more must be done to combat it.

Trump denies this (Because Putin strongly denied it) and so doesn't take appropriate measures to combat it.

Let me guess your response: "Hurr Durr TDS lol rofl!!!111!" ;)

Apr 3, 2018
im sad to say, But I feel this is a problem that possibly wont get any better until Trump and Putin are no longer around to be the pests they are
If Trump won't even acknowledge it, because he doesn't want to offend his overlords in Moscow, then yeah, the problem will get worse. Interesting to see what insane conspiracy theories the right will throw out in 2020. In 2016 we had pizza pedophile rings and assassinations of DNC staffers, 2020 it will be full blown "lizard people" type shit.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Mattis said that Putin "didn't learn his lesson" and that he CONTINUES to interefere in US elections (2016 and now) and that more must be done to combat it.

Trump denies this (Because Putin strongly denied it) and so doesn't take appropriate measures to combat it.

You should watch the recent PBS interview with Brad Parscale, the man behind Trump's digital political campaign. Facebook, Cambridge Analytica and Russia come up, including certain details that I hadn't seen discussed before and others that often get downplayed/ignored, but you won't see the mainstream media opine on his responses the way they do almost everything else Trump-related. Maybe it's just a case of not being able to walk and chew bubblegum at the same time, Washington Post providing a prime example of that this weekend as they tripped over themselves to report on Bush's passing, forgetting to replace the placeholder remarks within their pre-written story, but I digress. Here's the interview:

Mar 23, 2018
You should watch the recent PBS interview with Brad Parscale, the man behind Trump's digital political campaign. Facebook, Cambridge Analytica and Russia come up, including certain details that I hadn't seen discussed before and others that often get downplayed/ignored, but you won't see the mainstream media opine on his responses the way they do almost everything else Trump-related. Maybe it's just a case of not being able to walk and chew bubblegum at the same time, Washington Post providing a prime example of that this weekend as they tripped over themselves to report on Bush's passing, forgetting to replace the placeholder remarks within their pre-written story, but I digress. Here's the interview:

My god that guys is 100% me on this subject. Thanks for the video.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018
Every major player--and it's being kind to call Russia a major player--fucks around with other country's elections. And nobody does it more than the USA. The US has been doing it for decades as well. Second biggest election mucker is probably China, followed by Great Britain, and then Saudi or Israel. Russia is second or third tier. Their best geopolitical meddling days were during Soviet Power. All they do now is try to infringe on Ukraine and mess around with the psy-ops social disorder stuff they started back during the NKVD days.

Oct 10, 2017
This has to the silliest propaganda warfare in years. Republicans and democrats are really using “ Russian spies” as debatable points and the masses are eating it up.

Feb 22, 2018
Projection. They always project their own methods. The American regime on all ends of the spectrum is morally bankrupt at this point. These blame games are only relevant to the lowest common denominator.

At this point the mere topic or conversation point of Russia meddling in the American election has been the premier method of Russia meddling in the American election. And it is self induced. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

With rivals like this...who needs actual plans and schemes? Putin can just sit back and watch the American Establishment burn itself down.

Feb 2, 2018
Here we go again. Politicians, claiming russia interfered in an election. Sponsored, as always, by zero evidence. Some people in this thread really should start to learn how politics work. In a nutshell most of the work is not about what you do, it's about what you talk.

Tedious and monotonous, to say the least.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018
Here we go again. Politicians, claiming russia interfered in an election. Sponsored, as always, by zero evidence. Some people in this thread really should start to learn how politics work. In a nutshell most of the work is not about what you do, it's about what you talk.

Tedious and monotonous, to say the least.
Gen Mattis is the defense secretary.......

Feb 2, 2018
Gen Mattis is the defense secretary.......
Ah ok. Thanks for pointing out that political agendas do not exist. So he clearly must be right with everything he says, just like all the other politicians.

If it fits to your own personal view -> he must be right.
If it does not fit -> he clearly is a racist/bigot/fool.

You are living in a simple world my friend. I wish i could, too, because everything's so obvious over there!

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018
Ah ok. Thanks for pointing out that political agendas do not exist. So he clearly must be right with everything he says, just like all the other politicians.

If it fits to your own personal view -> he must be right.
If it does not fit -> he clearly is a racist/bigot/fool.

You are living in a simple world my friend. I wish i could, too, because everything's so obvious over there!
You live in Trump's twitter feed. You regurgitate exactly everything he wants you to.

Everyone, apart from Trump, has concluded Russia interefered, as did the Senate and House intelligence committees. So all the proof is in front of you, you just refuse to see it because Trump tells you to.

I'm guessing you also believe vaccines cause autism because Trump does?

Feb 2, 2018
You live in Trump's twitter feed. You regurgitate exactly everything he wants you to.

Everyone, apart from Trump, has concluded Russia interefered, as did the Senate and House intelligence committees. So all the proof is in front of you, you just refuse to see it because Trump tells you to.

I'm guessing you also believe vaccines cause autism because Trump does?
1. I'm not a US citizen.

2 I don't even have a twitter account and i don't actively look for tweets posted by anyone. You probably know ~500 - 10000% (no, that's not a typo) more trump tweets than i do.

3. I just looked right in front of me. I still don't see any proof. If i'm blind i kindly suggest to make a screenshot or provide a link for me, or any of the other blind people, so we can see the proof, too.

4. I am 100% pro vaccines.

Any more questions or suggestions about what i should think?

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018
1. I'm not a US citizen.

2 I don't even have a twitter account and i don't actively look for tweets posted by anyone. You probably know ~500 - 10000% (no, that's not a typo) more trump tweets than i do.

3. I just looked right in front of me. I still don't see any proof. If i'm blind i kindly suggest to make a screenshot or provide a link for me, or any of the other blind people, so we can see the proof, too.

4. I am 100% pro vaccines.

Any more questions or suggestions about what i should think?
Lol I know exactly what will happen if I showed "proof", you'll call it fake news and move on. But, I'll entertain the idea that you actually are genuinely curious, so:-

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/17/...ce-committee-report-putin-comments/index.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...3a1d0c-8133-11e8-b658-4f4d2a1aeef1_story.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...0f03a2-7ef7-11e8-bb6b-c1cb691f1402_story.html

https://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/26/us/2016-presidential-campaign-hacking-fast-facts/index.html

Mar 12, 2014
I'm not sure how much clearer I can make it.

Gen Mattis is saying that Putin/Russia is continuing to meddle in US elections, from 2016 to 2018.

Trump is saying that all these people are wrong, including Gen Mattis, because he asked Putin if he did and Putin gave a "strong and powerful denial".

So either, we are to believe the words of:

1)Gen Mattis and the rest of the US intelligence agencies, who say Putin is and will continue to interfere with US elections,

Or

2) Trump and Putin who say that they didn't and have no reason to.

I hope that helped.

Lol you guys and your "memes".

Guy called you out for using quotes about 2016 to support what seemed to be a claim about Trump dismissing what Mattis said about mid-term elections. This response does not help your case here or in the threads where you rattle on about Israel being the boogeyman.

Feb 2, 2018

Thank you for wasting my time. I ask again: copy and paste the clear evidence.

I our justice system would work like you we would all be in jail right now.

Apr 3, 2018
Thank you for wasting my time. I ask again: copy and paste the clear evidence.

I our justice system would work like you we would all be in jail right now.
Predictable, as always:

"I want proof that Russia meddled! Daddy Trump said they didn't!"

"Well, here you have two extensive intelligence reports, one by the Senate, one by the House, both head by the GOP, and both come to the same conclusion, that Russia interefered in the election"
"That's also the conclusion of every US intelligence agency, only person in the world in denial about this is Trump"

"Nope, fake news, no proof! MAGA Rofllol!!!1!!"

"But, I just........never mind".

Feb 2, 2018
Thank you. I appreciate your knowledge about political agendas and, of course, your inhuman effort for providing evidence.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
Feb 2, 2018
Last edited:
May 17, 2018
See between Russia, China and the Saudis its a game of chip away. Chip away at U.S. military, resources and influence until they are strong enough to say "You aren't sanctioning shit."

Apr 3, 2018
Israel is openly interfering in US elections, why is no one talking about that?
Well if you bring that up, you get deemed anti-semitic, and a label of "anti-semitic" bigotry is more damaging than any other bigotry for politicians.

The United States are by far the most active country when it comes to election meddling and even regime change. Compared to Russia the only difference is, that most election meddlings done by the US are clearly proven by facts, even if some people here don't like facts because emotions and empty rhetorics are always superior to them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forei...ion#Palestinian_election_(U.S.,_Israel,_2006)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_involvement_in_regime_change
Right, it's strange what you choose to believe as "facts".

But anyway, yes ofcourse the US interferes, but here's the difference, other nations acknowledge it and try to combat it. In the US, the president won't even acknowledge it, and if won't admit it is a problem then how is he to defend against it?

Feb 2, 2018
In the US, the president won't even acknowledge it, and if won't admit it is a problem then how is he to defend against it?
How do you defend against something that you cannot prove?
If Trump would admit that Elvis is still alive would this make it true?

We heard countless times that Russia interfered in elections, yet here we are with zero evidences on how they actively did it. Maybe Russia is just way smarter than any other country. Maybe they just did nothing. Or maybe political agendas are more important than honesty.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2006
How do you defend against something that you cannot prove?
If Trump would admit that Elvis is still alive would this make it true?

We heard countless times that Russia interfered in elections, yet here we are with zero evidences on how they actively did it. Maybe Russia is just way smarter than any other country. Maybe they just did nothing. Or maybe political agendas are more important than honesty.
What "evidence" are you seeking?

Are you expecting Russia to admit it? Never going to happen.
Are you expecting public release of fully declassified information, that's currently only available to the House and Senate Intelligence Committees and/or our intelligence agencies (FBI, CIA, etc)? Also never going to happen.

So all we've got is bipartisan support and our entire IC agreeing on what happened. You can either trust them, or believe it's a giant conspiracy / political agenda...

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2016/10/07...omeland-security-and-office-director-national
https://www.dni.gov/files/documents/ICA_2017_01.pdf
https://www.burr.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/SSCI ICA ASSESSMENT_FINALJULY3.pdf
https://arstechnica.com/information...kers-targeted-the-2016-presidential-election/
http://www1.icsi.berkeley.edu/~nweaver/netyksho_et_al_indictment_ocr.pdf

Up to you.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018
Homeland Security & Office of Director of National Intelligence said:
"We believe, based on the scope and sensitivity of these efforts, that only Russia's senior-most officials could have authorized these activities."

"Some states have also recently seen scanning and probing of their election-related systems, which in most cases originated from servers operated by a Russian company."

"The recent disclosures of alleged hacked e-mails on sites like DCLeaks.com and WikiLeaks and by the Guccifer 2.0 online persona are consistent with the methods and motivations of Russian-directed efforts. "

"However, we are not now in a position to attribute this activity to the Russian Government."

"The USIC and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) assess that it would be extremely difficult for someone, including a nation-state actor, to alter actual ballot counts or election results by cyber attack or intrusion."
Clear evidence. Thank you.

IC said:
"...the Committee's investigation has exposed a far more extensive Russian effort to manipulate social media outlets to sow discord and to interfere in the 2016 election and American society."

"We assess Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered an influence campaign in 2016 aimed at the U.S. presidential election. Russia's goals were to undermine public faith in the U.S. democratic process, denigrate Secretary Clinton, and harm her electability and potential presidency. We further assess Putin and the Russian Government developed a clear preference for President-elect Trump."

"We also assess Putin and the Russian Government aspired to help President-elect Trump's election chances when possible by discrediting Secretary Clinton and publicly contrasting her unfavorably to him."
Again, thank you for providing further evidence. Up to now i did not know, that having an opinion or preference is a criminal act. Also today i learned, that whenever there is an election in any other country, that other nations (including the US) never have any favorites or preferences and do never state them publicly (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_electoral_intervention). Furthermore i'm really happy that Hillary Clinton cleared her name because i think she suffered a lot because of all these false accusations and fake statements she never gave.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2006
Clear evidence. Thank you.
No problem, happy to help.

Up to now i did not know, that having an opinion or preference is a criminal act. Also today i learned, that whenever there is an election in any other country, that other nations (including the US) never have any favorites or preferences and do never state them publicly (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_electoral_intervention).
You sound confused. Not sure how any of that applies. You asked for evidence that they interfered. Now you're moving the goalposts to question legality of their actions (which is also still covered by the links I provided, btw).

Oh and who said propaganda is illegal? The Russian nationals (GRU members) weren't indicted for that, if that's what you're going on about.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018
You sound confused. Not sure how any of that applies. You asked for evidence that they interfered. Now you're moving the goalposts to question legality of their actions (which is also still covered by the links I provided, btw).

Oh and who said propaganda is illegal? The Russian nationals (GRU members) weren't indicted for that, if that's what you're going on about.
Are you serious here? If having and voicing an opinion on social media, tv or whatever is "interference" and at the same time a problem for people like you then you are even worse than thought.