• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gender-based Finnish Gaming Tournaments taking place per backward IeSF regulations

Soi-Fong

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/02/hearthstone-tournament/

Edit: The Finnish tournament seems to be following IeSF protocol in regards to separation of genders. The main IeSF tournament only allows males and so the Finnish tournament does not not want any females from taking any spot on the roster since they would not be allowed in the main tournament.

Tournament List:

Male Competition: Dota 2, Starcraft 2, Hearthstone, Ultra Street Fighter IV
Female Competition: Starcraft 2, Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Choice quotes from the article:

"In accordance with the International e-Sports Federation's (IeSF) tournament regulations, since the main tournament event is open to male players only. This is to avoid possible conflicts (e.g. a female player eliminating a male player during RO8) among other things."

"The decision to divide male and female competitions was made in accordance with international sports authorities, as part of our effort to promote e-Sports as a legitimate sports."

Sounds pretty bad... So males and females can't play together in Starcraft 2 and SF is more manly than Tekken...

Edit: Responses from IeSF.

"1 - promoting female players. We know that e-Sports is largely dominated by male players and females players are actually a portion of the overall player base. By hosting a female-only competition, we strive to promote female gaming on a global scale.

"2 - International standards. IeSF is very close to get e-Sports recognized as a true sports like it should be. Part of that efforts is to comply with the international sports regulations. For example, chess is also divided into male / female leagues."

Edit: Kotaku has posted up an article as well.

http://kotaku.com/male-only-video-game-tournament-sets-off-controversy-1599047351

Salex_

"The decision to divide male and female competitions was made in accordance with international sports authorities, as part of our effort to promote e-Sports as a legitimate sports."
confused_lion_king.gif

FuKuy

What's the point of separate males and females in e-Sports? o_O

Sounds pretty stupid and unnecessary.

Men and women play each other in chess, and that's considered a sport.

TomShoe

Banned
I understand the rationale, but eSports is different from your average sport in that this is more of a challenge of skill/hand-eye coordination/reflexes than physical ability.

Staab

Says it all really...

What is weird is they don't have the same tournaments for both men and women :/

Menome

This is fucking ridiculous towards both genders. I don't even *like* Street Fighter games and would go for a Tekken match-up, but if I was good enough to "go pro" that'd be barred at these events?

I'm absolutely flabbergasted and thought the gaming community was at least a step further forward than this.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Ridiculous. These e-sports federations need to take a look at chess instead of sports leagues - Nona Gaprindashvili won the Chess Grandmaster title in 1978.

mclem

I don't understand the 'possible conflicts' reason?

And while it may be uncommon (given that a number of sports are purely athletic) there's still a number of sports where females compete on the same level as males.

Tagyhag

That's so inane. EVO allows female players to play in the male tournament if they opt out of the female one.

soultron

Banned
eSports are mental and reflex-oriented games, so why are we applying regulations governing physical sports?

This is 100% bullshit.

sn00zer

Yeah real sports arent divided into mens and womens because of that....apparently women are at a huge disadvantage in esports beause men can overpower their keyboard and button presses....so dumb

Platy

Sounds like a case of good intentions gone horribly wrong.

Sounds like bad intentions gone worst

"In accordance with the International e-Sports Federation's (IeSF) tournament regulations, since the main tournament event is open to male players only. This is to avoid possible conflicts (e.g. a female player eliminating a male player during RO8) among other things."

What is the problem of a girl eliminating a dude ? =P

Also, there are lots of chess tournments that allow everyone

Jintor

i wasn't even aware gender segregation for e-sports was a thing. I mean, I get it regarding physical sports, but in virtual competition? That's weird.

Fliesen

"In accordance with the International e-Sports Federation's (IeSF) tournament regulations, since the main tournament event is open to male players only. This is to avoid possible conflicts...

... ok, what conflicts might those be?

(e.g. a female player eliminating a male player during RO8) among other things."

ok, you officialy lost me.
It's a conflict to "get beaten by a girl?"

I have no problems with tournaments hosting special tournaments for female players (to encourage females joining such tournaments, even though many of them aren't on the same level as their male peers), but excluding females from the general tournament? where's the point in that? In e-sports, females should always have the option to participate in the official tournament.

as part of our effort to promote e-Sports as a legitimate sports."
you know what's the beauty of e-sports? it's the fact that, unlike other sports, males don't have a physical advantage here... if "legitimate sports" means we'll have a "serious league" and a "girl league nobody cares about", i don't want e-sports to have any of that so-called legitimacy.

Tamanon

Banned
Ridiculous. These e-sports federations need to take a look at chess instead of sports leagues - Nona Gaprindashvili won the Chess Grandmaster title in 1978.

Or hell, in Hearthstone's case, look at normal TCG tournaments.

mclem

Or, for that matter, blinkin' Magic the Gathering itself.

Afrodium

Banned

Why is this a problem?

How would that result in conflict?

What?

This is to avoid possible conflicts (e.g. a female player eliminating a male player during RO8) among other things."

Also requesting clarification on what the hell this means.
"It'd be a problem if a girl beat a boy" is all that I'm getting.

But why separate them at all? A Women's League isn't necessary when you could just have one do the job for both.

I have no idea, but if there are female only tournaments then it's not as bad as what I thought when I read the thread title, i.e. females being excluded all together. They seem to be trying to promote the females divisions as their own thing.

conman

Wait... why split people based on gender? That has nothing to do with skill in video games...
Being generous, the idea would be to create a division for women in order to encourage more women to participate and increase the pool of female players. This is why "legitimate sports" (whatever that means) have separate gender divisions. But it's as though someone somewhere (or multiple someones in many places) have twisted that well intentioned idea into an excuse for exclusion rather than an occasion for inclusion, proving yet again that e-sports have a long way to go before they can be treated as a "legitimate sport."

Maybe change the title? It implies that this is somehow Blizzard's (Hearthstone's) fault versus some random tournament.

Top Bottom