• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact censors "Taiwan" and "Hong Kong". And other words.

mcz117chief

The 5 star character rates are 0.06 or something. Which are horrible even for a gacha. I'm a F2P gamer when it comes to gachas so as a non whale getting a full tree of 5 star characters is but a pipe dream. The difference here is that this is a game you can control and beat based on skill so it gets a semi-pass. You CAN play this game for free you'll just have to do things at a slower pace. Also I do not know why the starting town/country is the most boring one in the entire game compared to not-China and not-Japan. I can see why people that don't play these types of games easily dismissed this just as a "zelda" clone before they got the good looking scenery and better character moment. They missed a game that has actual books to read, unique npc dialogue and actual puzzles. But that's also because people see this single player game as a MMO so eh.
Yeah the rate is very bad if it really is as low as that. Maybe it will get improved over time or with special banners.

How can you possibly love this game and not botw?? It's the lack of anime stuff or good combat??

Zelda games just never appealed to me, there is something off about them that makes me uncomfortable.

Not really an excuse to rely so much on gacha systems imo
you can be a f2p with less horrible systems everywhere handling your progression (poe, warframe)

I don't mind gashapons though, but Warframe is fucking terrible, the only saving grace of Warframe is that you can get the premium currency dirt cheap if you know how ad buy whatever you want. I once tried to get something without platinum and it was the saddest, most pathetic and annoying grind I have ever done in my life.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yeah the rate is very bad if it really is as low as that. Maybe it will get improved over time or with special banners.

Zelda games just never appealed to me, there is something off about them that makes me uncomfortable.
If this can help, botw is pretty atypical for a zelda game.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
How can you possibly love this game and not botw?? It's the lack of anime stuff or good combat??
Eh? The only thing BOTW has on this game combat wise is the physics. (deflect is actually a skill on a character lol) Each character plays somewhat different and you can make a team of 4 to wreck shit rather than just play as Link breaking his swords on things. The shrines are also better. (very few of them are actually ruins sadly and act more like a mob fight)

GymWolf

Eh? The only thing BOTW has on this game combat wise is the physics. (deflect is actually a skill on a character lol) Each character plays somewhat different and you can make a team of 4 to wreck shit rather than just play as Link breaking his swords on things. The shrines are also better. (very few of them are actually ruins sadly and act more like a mob fight)
That's why i said lack of good combat.

Combat in botw is dreadfull.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
liMTP80rnFukw43PLqY49CtWVW8QChlKtA7ZgoV1fcSKCFZqnmWqpEljox16MPdgkHXuVsQ3

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I don't mind gashapons though, but Warframe is fucking terrible, the only saving grace of Warframe is that you can get the premium currency dirt cheap if you know how ad buy whatever you want. I once tried to get something without platinum and it was the saddest, most pathetic and annoying grind I have ever done in my life.
The gameplay is fine but the grind is worse than any gacha game ever.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
The reactions in this thread remind me a lot of ResetEra (except the banning, I guess).
Just a bunch of upset people who have been fed and swallowed all the lies and hyperbole mainstream media is feeding them and now just bark their pavlovian reflexes, repeating all the "China bad!" bullshit without questioning ad nauseum.

"Oh no! I can't type a word I don't really care about anyway if I'm honest, and wouldn't have typed anyway in a game I had no intention of buying or playing to begin with, either!"
The horror! Boycott!
'Murica! Fuck yeah!

Let the salt mining commence...

About the actual game: Ugh, anime-style. Kthxbye

Last edited:

mcz117chief

The gameplay is fine but the grind is worse than any gacha game ever.
If we are talking Warframe then the gameplay can be "fine" if you learn all the speed glitches and what not, otherwise it is a slog. I just don't want to see that game ever again. I played it since the Alpha phase (a REAL alpha, not like Call of Duty alpha) but it progressively got faster and more stupid. I dunno, I don't want to derail but Warframe just aggravates me now by just thinking about it.

The reactions in this thread remind me a lot of ResetEra (except the banning, I guess).
Just a bunch of upset people who have been fed and swallowed all the lies and hyperbole mainstream media is feeding them and now just bark their pavlovian reflexes, just repeating all the "China bad!" bullshit without questioning ad nauseum.

"Oh no! I can't type a word I don't really care about anyway if I'm honest, and wouldn't have typed anyway in a game I had no intention of buying or playing to begin with, either!"
The horror! Boycott!
'Murica! Fuck yeah!

Let the salt mining commence...

About the actual game: Ugh, anime-style. Kthxbye

You obviously have a different perspective, would you care to share it? I am genuinely interested, mate.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
If we are talking Warframe then the gameplay can be "fine" if you learn all the speed glitches and what not, otherwise it is a slog. I just don't want to see that game ever again. I played it since the Alpha phase (a REAL alpha, not like Call of Duty alpha) but it progressively got faster and more stupid. I dunno, I don't want to derail but Warframe just aggravates me now by just thinking about it.

You obviously have a different perspective, would you care to share it? I am genuinely interested, mate.
To me the shooting is solid, movement is slick and the frames are great but getting them is a grind. I've played countless JRPGs, gachas, WRPGs but Warframe just beats them all when it comes to grinding. Hell I'd say it has more grinding than Disgaea and that just isn't right.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
About what? The anti-China sentiment in the west as stoked by entirely biased elements throughout media & governments?
No way, certainly not here. Wrong topic, wrong forum, would take more time than I'm willing to spend right now.

mcz117chief

About what? The anti-China sentiment in the west as stoked by entirely biased elements throughout media & governments?
No way, certainly not here. Wrong topic, wrong forum, would take more time than I'm willing to spend right now.
Then set us straight, please. You are just giving us these vague sentences but not actually saying anything. So tell us how and where we are wrong? Are the Chinese people also fed up with their fascist government? Are the Chinese people enjoying what they got? Just say something of substance, bro.

martino

tbh i've not played warframe in a long time (because it was other things i didn't liked)
so i will trust you there

OrionNebula

I’m so offended by all this I even deleted Everybody’s Gone To The Rapture, Dear Esther and Amnesia from my PS4 drive, because they are made, at least in part, by the company The Chinese Room

synce

What culture isn't filled with censorship these days? If anything I'd say this isn't nearly as bad as Sony censoring anime tiddy, since that directly affects art.

Drewpee

Banned

Genshin Impact censors a number of words, including Taiwan and Hong Kong.

The issue was brought to light by journalist Kazuma Hashimoto, who published a video on Twitter showing how the free-to-download Breath of the Wild-esque PC, PlayStation 4 and mobile game censors Taiwan and Hong Kong within its chat.

Here is a clip I just recorded. Just in case if this changes for whatever reason here is recorded proof. The entire word "Kong" has been censored in Genshin Impact. pic.twitter.com/JCWjOEUBaf

In 2003, China's Ministry of Culture decreed the word Taiwan falls within the scope of "endangering the unity of the nation, sovereignty or territorial integrity".

In April 2020, Eurogamer reported on how the Chinese authorities had attempted to block the sale of Nintendo Switch exclusive Animal Crossing: New Horizons on the country's version of eBay because the game was being used by Hong Kong protesters and others to create politically sensitive user-generated content.

Genshin Impact is from Chinese developer miHoYo, and as such must comply with the country's laws and regulations that govern video game content. As Niko Partners analyst Daniel Ahmad states, all Chinese games censor phrases such as Taiwan and Hong Kong in order to comply with a list of banned words that cannot be used in game or via chat.

Chinese developed games have to comply with a ton of content and in game censorship rules because of these laws and regulations

There is a list of banned words that cannot be used in game / via chat functions

Foreign developers also need to comply when publishing games in China

Western developers are used to altering their games in order to comply with these regulations - you can't release a game in China without doing so. But western developers rarely censor such phrases in their "home" versions. Geshin Impact is rare in that it is a Chinese-developed video game that has enjoyed breakout global success. In fact, according to analysts, Genshin Impact is the biggest Chinese global video game hit ever.

The obvious solution would be for miHoYo to create a global version of Genshin Impact that does not include such censorship, but as Ahmad points out, "it's not always that simple for Chinese devs specifically."

— Kazuma Hashimoto (@JusticeKazzy_)October 6, 2020
According to PC Gamer, Genshin Impact also censors the words Putin, Hitler, Stalin and Falun Gong.

This should surprise noone. It will get worse and worse as more Chinese developers and publishers continue to rise.

Tumle

there’s also the question of data sovereignty. There’s much less chance of your data with an android or Apple phone making its way over there than say if you bought a huawei device.
sure that Data. just ends up at the N.S.A instead... Meh..

Aion002

That's why i said lack of good combat.

Combat in botw is dreadfull.
This game combat is way worse than BoTW.

Zelda at least has good mechanics and fun things to do.

This game rips off both Nier Automata and BoTW poorly.

It doesn't have BoTW mechanics and Automata combat depth.

Even some animations are ripped straight out of Nier and Zelda....

The gacha is ridiculous, 0.6 % rates with the need of dupes. I am impressed in how some are in love with it.... Now on topic.... Censorship sucks.

GymWolf

The gacha is ridiculous, 0.6 % rates with the need of dupes. I am impressed in how some are in love with it.... Now on topic.... Censorship sucks.

From what i saw in trailer and for the couple of hours i played myself the combat was better than zelda, but i hated almost everything about that game and the "fun" physics mechanics during combat remain fun for like the first 2-3 times before you understand that the classic method of bashing retarded enemies with a sword is far more practical.

Yes automata is better than both games, not only for the combat.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

It's a fun game and it's free. I personally don't give a shit about Hong Kong so this doesn't concern me at all.

DESTROYA

Was just thinking about installing this, but fuck it.
Don’t bother.
It’s no BOTW even if they tried copying everything about that game. Not to mention they installed anti cheat spyware on it which would automatically runs in the PC's background even after exiting the game or uninstalling it, which cause performance issues and privacy concerns for players.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

dRdICWQ.jpg

lefty1117

Gold Member
Right, let me drop a game I'm enjoying because two words that have nothing to do with me are censored.

Outrage culture is the dumbest shit ever, people easily talk big about morals and shit but when push comes to shove they'll go back to looking at their electronics's screens that are as you guessed it

made-in-china.jpg

I'll live by not being able to type Taiwan and Honk Kong in a goddamn gacha ya fuckwit, however you can keep being mad over this abhorrent censorship.

main difference is that china govt isn't actively trying to change your behavior or block you from speaking of certain things when using your made in China cell phone ... whereas in this game they are purposely censoring those words, if this report is true. If China wants to play ball with international norms and not try to censor or restrict people in and outside of their country I'll buy their stuff all day long. But this kind of social control crap, they can kiss my ass

the_master

So... I don't want to play it again.

Pretty bad it introduces gatcha mechanics on AAA consoles on a high production value title, but censoring words and chat for chinese political reason?

I pass.

Techies

No matter what you think of Chine, Genshin Impact and Gujian3 are very good games with high production value.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
This game comes with a free rootkit too doesn't it? :messenger_smirking:

And to be honest, even the Chinese gov has better ways of mining data on people than a video game
Social media, forums, etc are way better spots to get and correlate data to create a profile on a mark

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

And to be honest, even the Chinese gov has better ways of mining data on people than a video game
Social media, forums, etc are way better spots to get and correlate data to create a profile on a mark
I'd say google has your info already if anything. Or the people bitching about privacy on mongolian boards.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I'd say google has your info already if anything. Or the people bitching about privacy on mongolian boards.
I'd say with how many intrusions into systems that aren't announced, as well as the ones that are, it's likely if you bought a datapak or lead list from some specific places you'd find yourself on it, and it'd be somewhat accurate

STARSBarry

Gold Member
The best thing about this, is the game is being downvoted to hell in China because of its drop rates on 5 stars, I see people saying "well its a gatcha game, what do you expect?" but it literally has the worst rates bar one game on the Market, that game being RAID: SHADOW LEGENDS.

for a list of Gatcha rates (Genshin is 0.6% chance)

any more reasons to avoid this dumpster fire the better.

Last edited:
The obvious solution would be for miHoYo to create a global version of Genshin Impact that does not include such censorship, but as Ahmad points out, "it's not always that simple for Chinese devs specifically."
The thing is that the Chinese regime may just block the company from distribution of any of their products in their territory... Most business people seem more than willing to go along with the CCP on anything, even human trafficking.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
lol theSheep complaining about anti-China bias. i'm sorry, Sheep, if you can't handle some light criticism on a message board you need to grow the fuck up. they are harvesting bodily organs from prisoners over there. they also release a deadly pandemic that fucked over the entire world. i think we are fully entitled to say whatever the fuck we want. lol @ your sheepherding.

my stance is, boycott if you want, promote boycotts, etc. speak out. that's fine. for sure. this is America, you have that right. thank God we aren't like China. so say what you want.

however i'm not going to say you are a horrible person if you think x, y, or z. anyone who peddles that kind of trolly behavior is just cruisin for a bruisin.

personally i played the game for a minute or two, it looks nice but like the kind of game i wouldn't otherwise play, so alongside the knowledge that China is a fucked up place, i'll probably delete it. but YOU DO YOU.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
lol theSheep complaining about anti-China bias. i'm sorry, Sheep, if you can't handle some light criticism on a message board you need to grow the fuck up. they are harvesting bodily organs from prisoners over there. they also release a deadly pandemic that fucked over the entire world. i think we are fully entitled to say whatever the fuck we want. lol @ your sheepherding.

my stance is, boycott if you want, promote boycotts, etc. speak out. for sure. this is America, you have that right. thank God we aren't like China. so say what you want.

however i'm not going to say you are a horrible person if you think x, y, or z. anyone who peddles that kind of trolly behavior is just cruisin for a bruisin.
lol the bootlickers complaining about pro-china bias. I'm sorry, bootlickers, if you can't handle some light criticism on a message board you need to grow the fuck up. They are generating money for our economy by letting western businesses conduct business there. They also are a wide untapped resource and consumer market that's likely to dominate the world. I think we are fully entitled to say whatever the fuck we want. Lol @ your bootlicking

Keep politics out of games!
>reads this thread

Last edited:
The thing is that the Chinese regime may just block the company from distribution of any of their products in their territory... Most business people seem more than willing to go along with the CCP on anything, even human trafficking.

Companies like Twitter, FB and Youtube all bend over for China and they're still blocked, so bending over doesn't seem to really help.

Yeah, this forum is not for me.

Aww muffin.

Last edited:
You need to go back to reddit. But before that be sure to get rid of all your Chinese manufactured goods. Come on now lad don't be a hypocrite.

It takes a special kind of person to compare a company blocking the use of a countries name to slavery. Plus a food fucking analogy to top it all off.
ok-hand.jpg

Be sure to donate all your china outsourced games, electronics, clothes and vehicles to those that need it. Brave warrior.

I certainly will when I have a choice. Now please move to China and then tell me how much you don't care.

Top Bottom