• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 4.0 (Fontaine) - Je m'appelle "la baleine"

Dregnel

At this point, with the money they're picking I wouldn't get my hopes. They could pretty much justify doing more 5-star characters by using more free content and events as an excuse. And if anything, they just need one 5 star character for a banner, the rest can be easly repeatable characters.

they do this with honkai impact and it makes alot profits but they make the next month a farmable f2p characters,

i still don't pull because i don't have enough xp books, If I don't have the resources to lv up a character to level 90, I won't pull with f2p crystal much less with real money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

crumbs

For the devs, I have to imagine that balancing a 4 star in this game is harder than a 5 star.

A 4 star has to be the right mix of good-but-not-great mechanics. If they mess up and make the 4 star too good, they could make their 5 stars look bad. If the 4 star feels like filler or redundant, players could just end up ignoring it.

Whereas a 5 star is usually designed with a unique skill(s), good base stats, plus low CD times for their skill and burst. I like to look at the current roster of 4 stars and guess how they could have been designed if they were a 5 star.

At the moment, I'm conflicted on potential new 4 stars. I'm a Welkin + BP spender the last 2 months, so I have a large roster of 4 (with some constellations) & 5 stars, but a limited amount of EXP and talent materials. In the future, new characters, especially 4 stars, will need to be something interesting in order for me to considering using resources on them. That said, I still look forward to pulling new characters just for the potential for new gameplay mechanics and elemental reaction combos.

I guess this is a long way of stating that I understand skipping new 4 stars for awhile, but that drought shouldn't be more than a couple of banners in length.

Dregnel

For the devs, I have to imagine that balancing a 4 star in this game is harder than a 5 star.

A 4 star has to be the right mix of good-but-not-great mechanics. If they mess up and make the 4 star too good, they could make their 5 stars look bad. If the 4 star feels like filler or redundant, players could just end up ignoring it.

Whereas a 5 star is usually designed with a unique skill(s), good base stats, plus low CD times for their skill and burst. I like to look at the current roster of 4 stars and guess how they could have been designed if they were a 5 star.

At the moment, I'm conflicted on potential new 4 stars. I'm a Welkin + BP spender the last 2 months, so I have a large roster of 4 (with some constellations) & 5 stars, but a limited amount of EXP and talent materials. In the future, new characters, especially 4 stars, will need to be something interesting in order for me to considering using resources on them. That said, I still look forward to pulling new characters just for the potential for new gameplay mechanics and elemental reaction combos.

I guess this is a long way of stating that I understand skipping new 4 stars for awhile, but that drought shouldn't be more than a couple of banners in length.

they don't have any problem with balancing the characters they are just very smart, with zhongli the excuse was "well he is tank so his basic attack is worse than xiangling's" so why does he get so much damage with his constellations instead of having more support debuffs or something else, they are smart af.

they do this with their other game, a new character usually needs his weapon and 3 types of stigma/artifact, they want to see the people whaling for weapons and constellations.

Pejo

Well in the beta before the game release, Ningguang was a 5* and Mona was a 4*, and they swapped. I think it still feels that way too, honestly. Mona, while good, doesn't put up the numbers and is mostly relegated to a reaction machine for a single element. Ning on the other hand pumps out burst damage higher than most 5*s, and is usable without any reactions or special party configurations. Not sure why they switched them other than they thought that Mona's ass would make people spend on the standard banner.

I agree with your stance on leveling materials, but yea, it's the possibilities and teambuilding that new characters bring to the table that make the game exciting for some people, like myself. In theory, you'd only ever need one fire resonance team with a melt or vaporize reactor to beat any part of the game outside of Abyss and never touch a new character, but that gets boring. My personal wishlist is a fire element Barbara (healer with persistent skill or burst that allows for fire based reactions) and an ice catalyst with instant attacks instead of Klee/Ning projectile attacks. Despite most common sense, MHY doesn't seem to care what their weapon/role/elemental coverage looks like though, with 2 melee Geo supports released in a row, followed by another ice bow that has ice element like Diona and an AoE/Taunt kit like Amber.

I also think that to throw the players a bone, in a year or so, they should have some additional level of strengthening for all characters, or at least 5* bases. Something like a questline/battle that you do for an additional talent unlock, or a dual element system grinded out via dailies or something like that. It'd be a nice way to boost the 5*s without making 4* irrelevant. It's almost impossible to make 4* supports completely outdated, but I could see some of the damage characters like Razor/Kaeya being left behind.

BlackM1st

Banned
Just met my first Albedo today. Was a total bitch, just as expected.

Left after 1st domain clear without saying a word. Probably was offended by my surprise of seeing anyone pulling for Albedo.

Also. His flower tower? Yeah, no. Just like I said previously, ain't nobody's got time for dat. When you're in a rush of beating a timer, your screen is full of flickering lights and fullscreen effects, when enemies constantly flying away from you due to reactions, using his flower as an attack tower is simply impossible. Geo lord's pillars are much better. Both for support and for climbing on them. At least you can see them clearly.

TLDR: Albedo is a bitch and I pity the fools who are pulling 4 him.

Pejo

Works on me >_> I'm pulling my free wishes just to get her before they add more junk into standard banner D:
Nothing wrong with having a goal.

Another guy on reddit mathed the fuck out of the damage formula and came away with something easy enough to aim for. Keep in mind that this is from 5* artifacts at +20, for damage characters (not supports), and for endgame only, don't sweat it until you are artifact grinding.

TL;DR
The best possible cumulative stats to have on artifacts are 65% ATK, 67% CRIT%, 94% CRITDMG.

These numbers refer to the artifact stats: to obtain the total stats we include the 5% base CRIT% and the 50% base CRITDMG. That gives us 65% ATK, 72% CRIT% and 144% CRITDMG, with the two crit stats being in their sweet 1:2 ratio.

The solution is very stable: in the range from 55% CRIT% to 75% CRIT%, the damage is basically the same. The important thing is not how much of every singe stat you have, but the cumulative. Therefore:

1. Keep CRIT% to CRITDMG ratio to 1:2.
  2. Only roll ATK%, CRIT% and CRIT% main and substats (excluding the goblet bonus DMG). This should equate to a total close to 267,2% between ATK%, CRIT% and CRITDMG.
  3. CRIT% should be higher than 50%.
This will get you the highest possible damage on a consistent, basic-attacking DPS. If you are playing a burst DPS who relies on few skills with high damage% scaling, prioritize CRIT% over ATK%.
This is obviously much harder than it sounds, because you're essentially trashing anything that doesn't have crit/crit damage/atk substats. I don't think I could be this anal to try to actually hit these numbers. I'm happy if I get 2/4 substats that are relevant to the character, but when I am seriously grinding artifacts, hitting that 50%+ crit rate and hopefuly 70%+ crit damage is going to be my biggest goal. I doubt there will ever be a need to hit that max number for any content, solo or otherwise, and is mostly for min/maxers.

Reactions: Fuz

x@3f*oo_e!

I can understand why Ning isn't a 5 - she seems to hit hard enough, but tbh is kind of clunky to play. Her basic attacks are just too slow for me (and can't be aimed - which sort of defeats the point of an archer proof jade screen when you can't hit archers without a second character)

Albedo's tower -- I've seen it lets you melee Ruin guard's weakpoints - I'd be happy to get him just for that. Replaces 75% of stuff I use archers for (also hilichurls on platforms etc)

Plunge damage needs a massive buff, just for fun, especially from extreme glider height - it should be like a mini-nuke when Noelle drops from 100m up (specifically AOE radius should increase with height imo) - wouldn't really impact challengers etc

Last edited:

Pejo

I can understand why Ning isn't a 5 - she seems to hit hard enough, but tbh is kind of clunky to play. Her basic attacks are just too slow for me (and can't be aimed - which sort of defeats the point of an archer proof jade screen when you can't hit archers without a second character)

Albedo's tower -- I've seen it lets you melee Ruin guard's weakpoints - I'd be happy to get him just for that. Replaces 75% of stuff I use archers for (also hilichurls on platforms etc)

Plunge damage needs a massive buff, just for fun, especially from extreme glider height - it should be like a mini-nuke when Noelle drops from 100m up (specifically AOE radius should increase with height imo) - wouldn't really impact challengers etc
I'm sure you probably know this, but if you hold a direction (any direction) while mashing attack, it fixes her slow/unresponsive attack animations, including the charge attack. It's a stupid bug that I hope they fix someday because it's not natural at first to do.

I've also wondered if they'd ever toy with the idea of a target lock on/selector. It'd be great and easy to implement on PS4/PC, but might be tougher for mobile.

Saber

Gold Member
I've also wondered if they'd ever toy with the idea of a target lock on/selector. It'd be great and easy to implement on PS4/PC, but might be tougher for mobile.

Its something they should have implemented since the very begining. And I see no problem if they let this be an option in the menu.

x@3f*oo_e!

I'm sure you probably know this, but if you hold a direction (any direction) while mashing attack, it fixes her slow/unresponsive attack animations, including the charge attack. It's a stupid bug that I hope they fix someday because it's not natural at first to do.

I read that before somewhere - I tried this - it feels a little different, not sure if it's really better - either way I soon get bored of her.

Soft directional targeting could work on both (they use closest target I think) - so archer would attack the thing nearest along the path the direction controls are pointing at. I guess the reason they don't is mobile and touch screens.

BlackM1st

Banned
Ruin Guards are easy as F. Who cares about weak spots? Just use electric and fire combo. They're becoming so fucked up that 99% of time they just freeze and stop moving/attacking. I killed 100+ of them and only once or twice I saw them actually animate their stun status...

Maybe you're very early in game / doesn't have a proper DPS character/s. Albedo isn't a solution for any of that. Guy is just a flavor of the month, nothing more. Don't pull on him if you're using archers to beat ruin guards. Wait for a true DPS monster, preferably with an AOE skills.

Fake

To be honest I all day using Amber to hit Ruin Guards weak point. Is good for pratice.

Now, I get two Claymores, one of the event 4 stars and one from Wish 5 stars. Good lord, those weapon require a loads of exp in comparison with 3 stars.

Not to menion I discover there are a limitation of the number of ores you can forge per day, lol.

deanote666

Fischl.

2pc gladiator or 2pc bloodstained chivalry? Or go full thundering fury? Currently have 2pc thundering fury and 2pc bloodstained.

Currently 2246 atk, 45.8% crit rate, 89.6% crit damage, attack % hourglass, rust bow.

BlackM1st

Banned
Fischl.

2pc gladiator or 2pc bloodstained chivalry? Or go full thundering fury? Currently have 2pc thundering fury and 2pc bloodstained.

Currently 2246 atk, 45.8% crit rate, 89.6% crit damage, attack % hourglass, rust bow.
Blood imo.Actually I never met her as a prime DPS on higher levels. Most of the times people just drop her Raven and continue with some other character for reactions. So I would suggest to not waste too much time and resources on her. Do you have Ning? She's a better 4☆ DPS. Can't snipe, but eh...

deanote666

Blood imo.Actually I never met her as a prime DPS on higher levels. Most of the times people just drop her Raven and continue with some other character for reactions. So I would suggest to not waste too much time and resources on her. Do you have Ning? She's a better 4☆ DPS. Can't snipe, but eh...
I should also mention my Fischl is C6 so Oz is electro damage. Physical crits are over 2900. Think I saw an Oz crit over 5400. Talents 7/9/8

Not sure if I want to farm a physical % thundering fury hourglass or not. Currently have atk% main stat with crit dmg 7%, crit rate 6.6%, atk 31 substats.

I have Ning C3 but haven't leveled her.

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
I should also mention my Fischl is C6 so Oz is electro damage.

I have Ning C3 but haven't leveled her.
Wow, yeah, any C6 is a no joke. But Ning is very powerful DPS, look into her.

Speaking of C6, look for C6 Noel. Her C6 is too good. She becomes an unstoppable killing machine.

BlackM1st

Banned
I have C1 Noel lol.
If you can, you should definitely invest in her and get her to C6. Unfortunately she becomes her true self only at C6. C5 and down do nothing new for her, while C6 turns her into 6☆. IMO ofc, but I just can't say no to more DPS through more DEF. Shit is broken xD

Pejo

My time has nearly come Cocobros. Hoping to get at least C1 through the end of the banner.
EN trailer got pulled, I guess they did the math wrong for some heartbeat quote or something, so here's JP.

Fuz

Banned
Fuck-you.jpg

Fuck you, game. Fuck. You.

crumbs

I feel for you guys still waiting for the Winds Tales of Winter commission.

I don't understand why some quests are so rare.

It's nice when you finally get one that is different from the usual "Spreading Evil" or destroy 2 towers. Yesterday, I finally received the commission with Ella Musk to talk to a Hilichurl. Looks like there's another one to finish off for an achievement.

Last edited:

crumbs

Paimon narrating what we should be able to see it's pathetic.
"OH, NOW YOU'RE HOLDING THE SWORD!" "OH, NOW YOU'RE PUTTING THE ESSENCE IN A BOTTLE!"

Seriously mihoyo? With all the money you made you couldn't afford a few animations?

Agreed. This Albedo chapter sure did end with a whimper. I understand that he'll get future story content, but that last scene was pretty underwhelming.

My time has nearly come Cocobros. Hoping to get at least C1 through the end of the banner.
EN trailer got pulled, I guess they did the math wrong for some heartbeat quote or something, so here's JP.

I'm close to the guaranteed banner character pity since I pulled Keqing on the Zhongli banner. I was thinking about waiting for Xiao, but after reviewing clips of his playstyle from the beta, I think I'll go for Ganyu instead. Xiao looks like a "stay on the field" type of DPS, but I prefer switching out for elemental reactions. All that said, I'll probably wait for reviews before pulling.

It wouldn't hurt if Ninguang was on her banner; she's the only 4 star that I'm missing that I would actually want.

Last edited:

Pejo

Agreed. This Albedo chapter sure did end with a whimper. I understand that he'll get future story content, but that last scene was pretty underwhelming.

I'm close to the guaranteed banner character pity since I pulled Keqing on the Zhongli banner. I was thinking about waiting for Xiao, but after reviewing clips of his playstyle from the beta, I think I'll go for Ganyu instead. Xiao looks like a "stay on the field" type of DPS, but I prefer switching out for elemental reactions. All that said, I'll probably wait for reviews before pulling.

It wouldn't hurt if Ninguang was on her banner; she's the only 4 star that I'm missing that I would actually want.
Ganyu looks like she's going to be perfect for fire characters to proc melt, so I'm sure she'll be fairly popular as a sub DPS. I'm also of the mind at this point that every team should have both a bow user and a claymore (or Ning/Klee) for various reasons. I'm getting kinda tired of Diluc reacting with Fischl with overload and making enemies fly off of cliffs (and not die), so I'll try replacing her in my fire team with Ganyu as a start. Man I still can't help but wish she was ice catalyst. Seems like it would fit the character better too.

Saber

Gold Member
I'm aiming for the sword cryo girl that I think its programed to release later. If they end up giving me Ganyu, who knows.

BlackM1st

Banned

Paimon narrating what we should be able to see it's pathetic.
"OH, NOW YOU'RE HOLDING THE SWORD!" "OH, NOW YOU'RE PUTTING THE ESSENCE IN A BOTTLE!"

Seriously mihoyo? With all the money you made you couldn't afford a few animations?

crumbs

Ganyu looks like she's going to be perfect for fire characters to proc melt, so I'm sure she'll be fairly popular as a sub DPS. I'm also of the mind at this point that every team should have both a bow user and a claymore (or Ning/Klee) for various reasons. I'm getting kinda tired of Diluc reacting with Fischl with overload and making enemies fly off of cliffs (and not die), so I'll try replacing her in my fire team with Ganyu as a start. Man I still can't help but wish she was ice catalyst. Seems like it would fit the character better too.

I recently pulled Diluc, so I was thinking about working on a team with him, Ganyu, Mona, and maybe Bennett or Sucrose, who I also recently added. I've been running a lot with Keqing, Klee, and Fischl (I understand your chasing down overloaded enemies issue), so a new setup would help to keep things fresh, plus having more options for the Abyss couldn't hurt.

Agreed that Ganyu would have been really interesting as an ice catalyst.

I'm also interested in Ayaka based on the clips from the beta. That said, she seems kinda similar to Keqing, who I've been playing a lot. Maybe by the time she releases, I'll be ready for another sword user.

Last edited:

x@3f*oo_e!

As if by magic I got Tales of Winter today again .. realised I can't remember what options I picked before .. somehow I guess right (acchievment!) .. still waiting for whatever Tsarevich want done though..

I really like Xiao's character design, got to use primogems at some point (regret skipping Klee), also makes it look less like I'm running a waifu simulator.

Last edited:

Pejo

I recently pulled Diluc, so I was thinking about working on a team with him, Ganyu, Mona, and maybe Bennett or Sucrose, who I also recently added. I've been running a lot with Keqing, Klee, and Fischl (I understand your chasing down overloaded enemies issue), so a new setup would help to keep things fresh, plus having ore options for the Abyss couldn't hurt.

Agreed that Ganyu would have been really interesting as an ice catalyst.

I'm also interested in Ayaka based on the clips from the beta. That said, she seems kinda similar to Keqing, who I've been playing a lot. Maybe by the time she releases, I'll be ready for another sword user.
My biggest gripe with Ayaka and why I think a lot of people will hate her is that she seems to want to be on the field as a carry dps, but she has Mona's godawful underground dodge. Those two things do not mesh well, especially at melee range because of the godawful animation lock that the dash puts you in, without the i-frames. I keep submitting feedback in the surveys to make Mona's (and eventually Ayaka's) underground dash an extra button press on top of just a regular dash, so you still have the regular dash as an option for combat. For traversal it's a lot of fun though, if you wouldn't get caught on 3 inch ledges and pebbles.

Jedge

My biggest gripe with Ayaka and why I think a lot of people will hate her is that she seems to want to be on the field as a carry dps, but she has Mona's godawful underground dodge. Those two things do not mesh well, especially at melee range because of the godawful animation lock that the dash puts you in, without the i-frames. I keep submitting feedback in the surveys to make Mona's (and eventually Ayaka's) underground dash an extra button press on top of just a regular dash, so you still have the regular dash as an option for combat. For traversal it's a lot of fun though, if you wouldn't get caught on 3 inch ledges and pebbles.

I agree with this. I was looking forward to her but the more i've seen from the beta/videos and heard from streamers in CBT, Ayaka will be fun to play but will most likely be an EM bot.

BlackM1st

Banned
I agree with this. I was looking forward to her but the more i've seen from the beta/videos and heard from streamers in CBT, Ayaka will be fun to play but will most likely be an EM bot.
Ayaka > Ganyu IMO

Ganyu has a more lewd costume, but I just can't bring myself to play as archer in GI.

Archers in general are very unappealing to me since I have Klee. Judging by leaks and known/speculative information I would probably pull for Ayaka. Unfortunately MiHo nerfed her pantsu.

Other strong characters are either traps or just look unappealing to me. Demon boy is ok, but... eh. I would pull for him If his mask was always visible. Guy looks really cool in it. I had the same problem with Childe. He has an amazing alternative black costume which you can see, but can't touch. Fucking MiHo will probably want to sell this shit to us.

I have neither electric cat nor Mona's sweet ass, so Ayaka is a natural choice for me. Anything else I'm interested in is years/6 month away.

Ganyu is testing my resolve. I kinda want to save up for something better (Not convinced by her kit necessarily) like maybe Hu Tao, but on the other hand it'd be pretty boring to keep playing for a month or perhaps more without getting any new characters. I've saved up 7000+ primogems now, but that doesn't guarantee a 5 star (Let alone Ganyu), and it'll be difficult to save up that much again in a short amount of time. After all, most of those gems came from the event and exploring the new area. Who knows how much we'll get between now and then.

For now I think I'll wait until the 4 stars on the Ganyu banner are known. If those suck I might just skip. It's gonna be difficult to resist though.

No. Unfortunately it looks like she will have a terrible mechanics of "less health/more DMG". This shit is beyond annoying in all and any games I ever played. Absolutely not worth the hassle IMO.
Might be good in a shield heavy team, no? Pyro characters in general are pretty appealing to me.

Pejo

No. Unfortunately it looks like she will have a terrible mechanics of "less health/more DMG". This shit is beyond annoying in all and any games I ever played. Absolutely not worth the hassle IMO.
Not only that, but latest leaks are showing that she's HEAVILY locked behind constellations and her 5* gacha weapon is pretty much a necessity if you're planning on using her long term. In other words - $$$$$$$.

*Edit
A1vGVrb.jpg

Eh, do it if you like her and don't mind archers in Genshin Impact. Anything worthy is months away anyway. Her design is really good. Just don't forget to buy a blue pet fairy for her from the next event.
I'd love to know what material these designers are basing these tights designs from. Is it supposed to be leather, spandex, hosiery, etc?

Last edited:
Not only that, but latest leaks are showing that she's HEAVILY locked behind constellations and her 5* gacha weapon is pretty much a necessity if you're planning on using her long term. In other words - $$$$$$$.
Ahh, that's a shame. Definitely not gonna happen for my F2P ass. I already have a 5 star bow for Ganyu ready to go at lvl 80, that might be a better idea then.

OR you can pull for someone like Klee and lay waste with 1 button press without any team building...
I already have Klee. She my main DPS obviously, but wouldn't mind more pyro for the resonance (or whatever it's called) or for my second team for the abyss.

Pejo

Ahh, that's a shame. Definitely not gonna happen for my F2P ass. I already have a 5 star bow for Ganyu ready to go at lvl 80, that might be a better idea then.

I already have Klee. She my main DPS obviously, but wouldn't mind more pyro for the resonance (or whatever it's called) or for my second team for the abyss.
Here's the link to her spear. Surprisingly, it's also really good on a support Zhongli because of the flat 20% HP bonus.

For Hu Tao, it essentially makes her high risk/high reward playstyle much less risk and more reward, with no downside. At refine 5 it gives a flat 40% HP bonus. At 50k HP, (Current Zhongli can get to this already), that would give her an additional 1000 atk below 50%. She would still be able to roll with ~25k HP and a 1000 attack bonus whenever she wants. With that 40% HP on weapon, she's likely to be able to hit even higher, which equals more safety and more atk.

It's another case of them creating a problem, then selling you the solution (like battle pass).

Last edited:
Top Bottom