• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: Scorpio rumored to cost $499 (he's right, flawless victory)

Duxxy3

If it's called Xbox Scorpio instead of Xbox One Scorpio, that creates a marketing problem. As the average consumer will think it's a brand new console rather than a mid-gen upgrade.

Clean cut may be a good idea. Xbox One name is tainted.

StereoVsn

68ua8Ng.png

Hahaha classic
Oh, that was quite good.

I think MS is making a mistake here. PS4 Pro was $100 more retail then regular PS4. Now MS is going to have their box $250 more then Xbone S (literally 2x) and possibly $150 more then PS4 Pro. That is if Sony feels like dropping the price which they may not do with $499 Scorpio.

They are quite limiting their audience right off the bat unless there are some additional surprises (Elite controller or something else included).

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a PR move by MS and it will be at $399 or $449 during the reveal.

A 6TF machine for 499 is a fucking steal. Only a GTX 1080 (which is 6TF) is 450.

Expecting less than 499 is not knowing how this works.

"But ps4 pro is 399"

That is 4TF, not 6. Scorpio was going to be more expensive since the very beginning.

GTX 1080, 6tf? Hmm, that claim smells like shit. 9TF with most running at 10TF once gpu boost kicks in. The funny part is that you come attempt to come across like you know what you're talking about, LOL, 6tf.

geoffmk

Geoff Keighley
It's not adding up man, you're not a leaker, why would you leak it?

You're hosting a official Project Scorpio panel with Microsoft for your E3 Coliseum.

Why would you put your relationship with Microsoft and your industry standing in danger over leaking a price of a console a couple hours before it is announced?

1. It's a marketing campaign to lead up to a mic drop price reveal.

2. You got the go ahead from Microsoft to leak early as damage control.

I'm not hosting the panel -- Major Nelson is. Yes they have a Scorpio panel but I haven't seen any of the materials.

Macrotus

The thing is, no matter hwo you do it, the tech on Scorpio can't be sold at less than 499. A gtx 1080 (same TF as scorpio) is at least $500.

I thought you couldn't compare AMD TFs with Nvidia TFs.
Or was the person who ever said this was wrong?
I remember reading about this somewhere on this forum

Mauddib

Banned
ITT: People having a crisis because Microsoft shit the bed with this console from the very start and this was their last chance to retake ground from Sony.

No. People are mad because the Xbox brand has cultivated a strong following for more than a decade and has been doing nothing but fucking over its fans over the last 4 years. It's insanity.

bluehat9

If its less than 500 geoff is an MS shill setting up the mic drop moment. If it is 500 geoff is an MS shill trying to get the damage control out early.

napata

In what fantasy land is a person living suggesting that a $500 PC build is a substitute for someone interested in a 4K-capable console? You're looking at nearly double that if you go cheap on everything.

If you're looking for 4K gaming then your choices are limited to a PS4 Pro, Scorpio, or a $1,000+ PC, with varying degrees of 4K fidelity.

If you're looking for 4K gaming then you only choice is a PC.

Sydle

So you don't have a clue what you are talking about, but we already figured that out.

The only way youd need a 1,000 plus pc for 4k is if your planning on maxing out games with no compromises in resolution or fidelity, or asiming for 60 fps.

Neither console is doing that m, give me a fucking break.

Chill out, man.

Why else go through the hassle of building a PC if you're not going to make it better than the more convenient console experience? I just can't imagine anyone saying they want to do 4K gaming and also settle for low fidelity. I've never met that person and can't imagine the mental gymnastics they'd have to do to make it a logical purchasing decision, but to each their own.

Quasar

Not unsurprising given components and how Microsoft has positioned it as a premium sku. Disappointed though as that won't put pressure on Sony.

A 6TF machine for 499 is a fucking steal. Only a GTX 1080 (which is 6TF) is 450.

"But ps4 pro is 399"

That is 4TF, not 6. Scorpio was going to be more expensive since the very beginning.

Rx 480 is like 199 dollars and is 5.8 Tflops. Amd flops are not Nvidia flops.

Either way, I think 499 is the price.

If Geoff is lying then he should be banned from GAF , in my eyes for certain if this is controlled leak or something his respect and credibility will be below zero.

fuck that shit

Honestly, for me, his respect and credibility will be bellow 0 if he turns out to be right, or even if he is wrong but thought it was actually leaking something.

It's just a shitty thing to do if he found out about the price hours before the conference and blew any chance Ms had to even trying to justify that price if it really is, something that someone is his position should be fully aware.

Sheroking

Polygon seem right for once.

$499 dooms this to being the niche choice for fans of a system already selling poorly compared to the competition.

If it's a premium device only aimed at a small subset of the public , why the fuck bother ? MS need a system that will appeal to the masses at a price people want to pay to bring people back into the fold, but instead go for a "premium" price point and expect...........what exactly ? That appealing to the nerdiest of nerds somehow that'll translate into yuuuuge sales ?

Regardless of Scorpio's price, the only thing that's going to sell either Xbox One or Scorpio is software. Between their cancellations and lack of first party developers, sales are becoming soft because the software isn't there.

So "why bother" with a premium console? I guess because they think they can pop the One with more and better games moving forward.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
500€? Nope. Glad for those that can afford it I guess.

I'm glad the price was revealed to us early and got people riled up. It puts Xbox on the spot. They need to win people over now and show why it's worth their price. They need to show some worthwhile exclusives because so far they've only had like 3 since the launch of the console.

Gator86

If Geoff is lying then he should be banned from GAF , in my eyes for certain if this is controlled leak or something his respect and credibility will be below zero.

fuck that shit

Pretty sure they never banned Penello, an actual MS employee, for lying on here. Not sure why Geoff would deserve a ban then.

Wtf. Geoff is good people. He can't control if MS changes the price. He is just letting us know what he heard.

Yeah we will see that in hours.He easily may be marketing tool for Microsoft in this situtation because leaking price before like 3 hours to conference doesnt seem a like move he would do.

It's for Xbox whales.

There was an interview like half a year ago where Spencer said that they wanted to cater to the diehard fans. The ones spending thousands of dollars.

Good to know Microsoft designed a product for like what 10.000 users or something.

ones spending thousands of dollars already buying pc, im not sure if there is any crossing over with cheapest console(at the moment ) fanbase and those who will pay thousands of dollars

If it's called Xbox Scorpio instead of Xbox One Scorpio, that creates a marketing problem. As the average consumer will think it's a brand new console rather than a mid-gen upgrade.

well that's what they appear to be positioning it as. I bet we will be seeing Scorpio exclusive games further down the road too.

Playsage

Here are the scenarios at play here:

1. Geoff is in cahoots with Microsoft and they asked him to leak the $499 price so when they announced it for $399 it has a greater impact.

2. The price is actually $499 and Geoff's leak is accurate.

3. Geoff heard from somewhere that it is $499, but he's just wrong and it's $399.
So there's a 66% of possibility that he has shoot himself in the foot

Deathknell

"But ps4 pro is 399"

Nope.

1080 is 9tf

Top Bottom