• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: Scorpio rumored to cost $499 (he's right, flawless victory)

____

Is this not what was expected? It's supposed to be way more powerful than the PS4 Pro, so why would it be priced the same?
I'm sure they're already taking a loss at $499.

The general train of thought is that this was dropping a full year after PS4 Pro so pricing could have gone down as a result.

Why should first party play such a big role when deciding to buy a console when it will be the most powerful console period? All the third party games will look better and I think that will matter to people.

Well the original xb1 was less powerful than the ps4,was the only sku and had a ton of other downsides to it

Nah. It's different because they have the cheaper Xbox One S and they have the most powerful console. Nobody gave a shit about the Kinect and PS4 was more powerful. That's what killed them.

Remember when they released the Elite controller? Backlashed followed by pre-ordering it. When the conference is over and you see what this thing can do it'll be a buy.

Because MS has nowhere near the mindshare Sony does at this point, and I really doubt better 3rd party games will be enough to drive serious momentum from gamers already heavily invested in their PS4's and it's ecosystem. They are already subbed to PS+ and most of their friends are as well.

I think MS needed to try to brand Scorpio as a great product for those already even with PS4 systems. Get people buying back into their ecosystem and try to slowly chip back into the public's good will and mind share.

Frankly a lack of strong 1st party combined with a $500 price point is a terrible position to be in imo. I expect it will launch well to the hardcore Xbox community but I'd be pretty surprised to see any sort of long term momentum outside of this Holiday/ launch window

low-G

I think $500 sounds reasonable for the hardware. Of course I'm not going to buy one...

Then again I did think MS would want to go in for the 'kill', or rather the 'not die'.

I think what price we get says something about MS's ambition for console market.

CJY

Banned
The cheaper launch PS3 had full BC. The biggest differences were the smaller HDD and fewer ports.

Yeah, I thought so. Considering you could easily change the HD yourself, the two lesser ports and memory card readers for 100 less seemed like a good deal.

To have had a 599 SKU was overblown IMO. glad sony game out of the generation well.

jm89

Agree with others they don't want the price overshadowing their conference so announce it before the conference and take all the backlash before.

A regular Xbox one can play all those good games though. Which is still a win obviously as you are buying into their ecosystem. But still they obviously are pushing Scorpio insanely hard compared to Sony and the pro

Only time will tell if it affects them that much. $499 with Forza 7 holiday bundle isn't that bad.

Toki767

a console made for people with the scorpio sign in their twitter profiles lol

Well...yeah.

Microsoft has said themselves that they wanted to focus on their diehard fans who spend the most money rather than trying to attract new people.

This just goes in line with that.

killroy87

Something fishy about this though. Geoff Keighley has NEVER leaked something like this. He works directly with all three console makers, why would he piss Microsoft off like this

That's not a surprise, really. I expected it to be something I was going to have to save up for and get if I want it, and be worth it when I do.

I already have a 4K TV, PS4 Pro and 4K UHD player, so I'm ready... but Microsoft exclusives don't really bring me to the yard (I would play if I had, just not buy for) - and honestly, most 3rd party stuff doesn't mean a lot to me anymore... Soulsborne is done, Metal Gear is done, FFXV happened, Fallout 4 didn't matter like it should have - I have no more unicorns. However, third party surprises can happen that get me hype all over again. There's always the occasional Nioh and Nier Automata.

What would tantalize me, actually, and probably wouldn't mean much to many others or the mass market... is definitive 4K HDR 60 fps master releases of some of my favorite games, handled to perfection. Metal Gear Solid V, Dark Souls 1 2 & 3. I could also see better Bethesda games and naturally better console mods appealing to me too, since I don't plan on getting back into PC gaming any time soon.

In the mean time, it'll be something I'll try to save for and get when I can. Also want a Switch... but I'm already 4K and if I was going to get anything, it'd be to utilize what I'm already invested in.

Detective

A full year have passed and MS have been pretty Clear about Scorpio and yet people still does not know What Scorpio is and which group it's targeting . Just Amazing.

gamz

Because MS has nowhere near the mindshare Sony does at this point, and I really doubt better 3rd party games will be enough to drive serious momentum from gamers already heavily invested in their PS4's and it's ecosystem. They are already subbed to PS+ and most of their friends are as well.

I think MS needed to try to brand Scorpio as a great product for those already even with PS4 systems. Get people buying back into their ecosystem and try to slowly chip back into the public's good will and mind share.

Frankly a lack of strong 1st party combined with a $500 price point is a terrible position to be in imo. I expect it will launch well to the hardcore Xbox community but I'd be pretty surprised to see any sort of long term momentum outside of this Holiday/ launch window

Wait until the conference.

Lol no way geoff would be allowed to just leak the biggest thing about the scorpio. This is dorito pope PRing for MS by "leaking" a higher price so MS can look extra good when they announce 399.

dc89

Going with $349-399
But saying that MS have always towed the line that this is a premium product and something about this tells me Geoff may be right.

Starfield

xbox-one-price.png

4 years later...

bd2aae131c.png

NQjgc89.gif

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Lol no way geoff would be allowed to just leak the biggest thing about the scorpio. This is dorito pope PRing for MS by "leaking" a higher price so MS can look extra good when they announce 399.

You think he would willingly take a hit to his credibility to help out MS? I doubt it.

Am I the only person on this forum who thinks that $499 is a reasonable price for what we're presumably getting?

I guarantee that it will sell just fine to early adopters at $499, and then when that market is saturated they'll drop the price to appeal to a broader base.

I suppose I'm just accustomed to the idea of paying a premium price for a premium product, whether it's a nice car, an OLED TV, a MacBook, a GTX 1080, or a console. Yes, I would be nice to get a lot for a little, but I'm not going to be angry at a company because they won't take a loss on the product I want.

stalker

I cannot believe that price for the base offering. It is a terrible price point compared to anything around, both the current Sony and MS offerings and also the launch prices of 4 years ago.

plufim

I love that there are two competing conspiracies, both that Geoff is leaking the price for microsoft, but one says it's so the REAL price blows us away and another says it's so the price blowback isn't all we're talking about after the conference.

akileese

LMFAO the $400 pro didn't sell out and you honestly think a $500 second-place machine will?

I would love to hear your logic on that one...

I had to wait to get a pro because I couldn't find one in stores anywhere. Is this another "PSVR didn't sell out" thing when you pretty much couldn't find them in stores from two weeks post launch to February?

A full year have passed and MS have been pretty Clear about Scorpio and yet people still does not know What Scorpio is and which group it's targeting . Just Amazing.

Nah I've been listening to what they've been saying and get the target demo.

I just don't think that demo is near large enough to be a huge boon to them long term. Xbox One sales are in the gutter over the last few months, and who exactly is a $500 Scorpio going to sell to outside of heavily Xbox centric gamers

Bioshocker

If Scorpio is $499, Sony can coast the rest of this generation.

I want COMPETITION.

It's healthy.

$499 Scorpio would be a mistake.

People are acting as if Scorpio is everything Microsoft got. Xbox One S is for the mainstream audience. Scorpio was never meant to be anything but a premium console for those out there who knows what HDR means and have a 4K TV in their living room. And so One S will always outsell Scorpio just as PS4 Slim outsells PS4 Pro.

Am I the only person on this forum who thinks that $499 is a reasonable price for what we're presumably getting?

I guarantee that it will sell just fine to early adopters at $499, and then when that market is saturated they'll drop the price to appeal to a broader base.

I suppose I'm just accustomed to the idea of paying a premium price for a premium product, whether it's a nice car, an OLED TV, a MacBook, a GTX 1080, or a console. Yes, I would be nice to get a lot for a little, but I'm not going to be angry at a company because they won't take a loss on the product I want.

Moms and pops ain't buying no Xbox for 500 bucks

Haines

Banned
As much as it makes sense price wise who is going to buy it.

This had better be an incredible conference.

Maybe they make a push to grab the gaming pc crowd instead of the console crowd?

I really don't know

ViolentP

Hi. I am Geoff Keighley. I am one of the biggest voices in gaming. Let me say something I know will devalue my credibility just hours before an official announcement.

jeffram

After DF piece I knew it was going to be 500. Honestly, I don't think it makes much of a difference for this product anyway, it's not going to sell much if Pro is any indication and they likely don't have much stock to sell this year at launch, might as well milk those early buyers and '4k' enthusiasts. Next year maybe it goes down to $400, if there is a functioning xbox brand left at that point. Either way I don't think this product could change fate of xbox much.
But look at the actual reasons for a more expensive BoM:

They are getting their advantage by upclocking, so the APU isnt that much more expensive than the pro.

- more powerful PSU
- more expensive cooling solution
- uhd blu-ray
- +4 GB GDDR5

All that to me sounds like $50. When you factor in MS aggressiveness I could see them marching Sony initially

Top Bottom