• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: Scorpio rumored to cost $499 (he's right, flawless victory)

0racle

There is honestly no reason to let this leak.

Why is someone so "respected" willing to risk it all with a leak like this for internet fame? It's career suicide as he looses all trust and integrity.

Why would Microsoft market like this ? It's amateurish and a cheap shot.

I'm stumped it makes zero sense from both parties.

Shiggy

Why would you lower the price on a console that sells well enough and has no competition? PS4 Pro was making a profit from day 1, it can probably be produced for less than $300 by now.

They are selling the PS4 Slim for less than EUR 200 now. The system is destroying the Xbox One over here, but Sony wants to get a large user base as they want to sell more games (thus get licensing revenue) and sell more PS+ subscriptions.

weekev

Banned
$500 would be DOA IMO, way too high. You would be better just getting a gaming PC. Especially given the fact that the majority of X1 console exclusives are on PC.

Calm Mind

People are acting as if Scorpio is everything Microsoft got. Xbox One S is for the mainstream audience. Scorpio was never meant to be anything but a premium console for those out there who knows what HDR means and have a 4K TV in their living room. And so One S will always outsell Scorpio just as PS4 Slim outsells PS4 Pro.

A shame the mainstream audience isn't buying it.

gamz

Hm. I never thought of it from this angle. That it's Microsoft trying to shift a bit of expectation pre-press conference so the price doesn't hit so hard.

But man, that doesn't change the fact that the E3 teaser led specifically and clearly intentionally to a "Less Than $400" clue. I'm torn.

But that teaser was probably a random image. I mean obviously it was. I knew it was bullshit because bing.com didn't come up with that image.

Hawk269

Some of the replies to the $499.99 price point are those that did not want to listen when Phil was banging the drum about it being a premium product. I think there are those that didn't give a shit regardless of the price point and then there are those that always felt and believed what Phil was saying when he talked about it being a premium console.

I don't think $499.99 is bad for what you get. Of course $399.99 would be better for more mainstream appeal, but I don't think that is the point of this console. Phil has always said that they know the Xbox One S will be the leading sales console for them and that the Scorpio was made for those that wanted a premium experience.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Not going to fail. They are winning over the graphics enthusiast market. You are the market that they are targeting with the $200 One S discount.

That market barely exists on consoles. If you're a graphics enthusiast, you're likely a PC gamer. $500 is simply too much for a console, especially a mid-gen upgrade.

At $500, this will sell badly. Simple as that. And no, Microsoft has not been hyping this up for over a year to have it only sell to a very small "enthusiast" market. It doesn't matter how many times they call it "premium," they want it to be more than niche.

Also, I think people are going to be very disappointed if they're expecting most games to blow away what is seen on the Pro. Microsoft's own games? Sure. But no, I don't think third parties are going to put in the effort to make people think that $500 is a logical price.

Someone on the first page of this thread mentioned Destiny 2 as a reason to buy it, despite the terrible price. Destiny 2 is going to be the same damn thing on Pro and Scorpio. It won't magically be 60fps and the graphics will be marginally better, if not the same.

I would love to be wrong on all this, trust me. If Destiny 2 looks like the PC version on Scorpio, that changes everything. But it won't.

asdad123

$499 seems perfectly reasonable considering the Pro being at $399 with less power.

And once again part of neogaf doesn't disappoint with comments like DOA etc. MS has marketed the Scorpio as a premium product from the start...

Pro will easily be $349 by the time this thing releases, if not $299.

Imagine Sony going for the 1-2 punch at $199 slim/299 pro.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Fuck, $499 is disappointing..I'm still getting it day one but $399 would have really been a statement price.

I'm holding out hope that he's wrong or just trolling for MS.

Here are the scenarios at play here:

1. Geoff is in cahoots with Microsoft and they asked him to leak the $499 price so when they announced it for $399 it has a greater impact.

2. The price is actually $499 and Geoff's leak is accurate.

3. Geoff heard from somewhere that it is $499, but he's just wrong and it's $399.

Zarth

Jason Schreier and a number of others have already chimed in expressing concern about the price and market. A few other journalists seem to be confirming $499 is what they are hearing too.

It sounds like the general consensus is that if this isn't a 60 FPS 4k power machine for just about everything that its not gonna do well at all.

Nobody expects that to be the case, at least not with 3rd parties.

WadeitOut

$500 would be DOA IMO, way too high. You would be better just getting a gaming PC. Especially given the fact that the majority of X1 console exclusives are on PC.

I already have a gaming PC. With a monitor that c pats more than a lot of gaming PCs. I'm getting the Scorpio at 499 so i can play all third party games on the superior hardware on my preferred platform of the last 13 years.

CJY

Banned
Am I the only person on this forum who thinks that $499 is a reasonable price for what we're presumably getting?

I guarantee that it will sell just fine to early adopters at $499, and then when that market is saturated they'll drop the price to appeal to a broader base.

I suppose I'm just accustomed to the idea of paying a premium price for a premium product, whether it's a nice car, an OLED TV, a MacBook, a GTX 1080, or a console. Yes, I would be nice to get a lot for a little, but I'm not going to be angry at a company because they won't take a loss on the product I want.

At 499, the market is going to be pretty much saturated within the first couple of weeks. The tail on anything premium + premium priced in gaming is extremely short

Vinc

I don't buy it. It'll be 399. Maybe I'm in denial, but I get the distinct impression that Microsoft wants to SHOCK people with a 399 price like Sony did with the OG PS4. I'm really just not buying it. I really don't doubt that that would be the price stated in rehearsals to avoid leaks.

THE:MILKMAN

It's the main reason I think it's possibly controlled.

Frankly Geoff probably knows almost every game we will see at both MS and Sony's conferences. It just is very weird he specifically leaked this one thing.

It bothers me more than $499 to TBH. Personally I can't see anything in the internal HW that would warrant it needing to be $499 but then maybe it is has a premium all aluminium casing and Microsoft believe they have a stunning SW line up?

Toki767

People who feel this way need to realize that Scorpio is not targeted at them.

But look at the actual reasons for a more expensive BoM:

They are getting their advantage by upclocking, so the APU isnt that much more expensive than the pro.

- more powerful PSU
- more expensive cooling solution
- uhd blu-ray
- +4 GB GDDR5

All that to me sounds like $50. When you factor in MS aggressiveness I could see them marching Sony initially

Bold part is magical thinking.

1. Make an expensive console
2. Low ball your price because...reasons
3. ???
4. Profit

Some of the replies to the $499.99 price point are those that did not want to listen when Phil was banging the drum about it being a premium product. I think there are those that didn't give a shit regardless of the price point and then there are those that always felt and believed what Phil was saying when he talked about it being a premium console.

I don't think $499.99 is bad for what you get. Of course $399.99 would be better for more mainstream appeal, but I don't think that is the point of this console. Phil has always said that they know the Xbox One S will be the leading sales console for them and that the Scorpio was made for those that wanted a premium experience.
I consider $399 a premium product price. Just like the Pro was priced last year

Xbox fans are willing to buy Elite controllers. They are thirsty for new hardware, way more than PS4 owners ever were. They will sell out this holiday.

Now, after the holidays, it'll sink like a stone, but this holiday was locked whether it was $299 or $499.
i agree. thiis thing is going to well to xbox fans regardless. let's be honest the xbox one is incredibly underpowered this is basically a new gen for them. they'll lower it once sales stall if its 499

LMFAO the $400 pro didn't sell out and you honestly think a $500 second-place machine will?

I would love to hear your logic on that one...
The average consumer doesn't look at consoles as first place or second place machines. That's what fanboys think like. The average consumer will simply ask for the most powerful console. Which will be the Scorpio.

gamz

A price where it will sell

I think you underestimate Xbox buyers. This sucker will be a huge seller the first month out. The faithful will trade in or just buy it outright. MS didn't expect the Elite controller to sell as well as it did. I wouldn't be surprised if it sells close to a million the first month it's out.

Sweep14

Willing to bet that "Something will change" today...? :)

IMHO this is a diversionary tactic instilled by MS to get their Mic Drop moment during their conf.

I don't own an XB1 and don't intend to enter MS ecosystem but I'll eat my hat if they don't announce it at 399 during the show

Widge

What the market needed is a stop gap machine that is good enough until 4K adoption is greater and the tech to achieve it is cheaper. Sony already have that ground.

Pineapple

There is honestly no reason to let this leak.

Why is someone so "respected" willing to risk it all with a leak like this for internet fame? It's career suicide as he looses all trust and integrity.

Why would Microsoft market like this ? It's amateurish and a cheap shot.

I'm stumped it makes zero sense from both parties.

Unless it was intentional. "Leak" a price higher than what the system will actually be to lower expectations, then when you reveal the cheaper price during the conference, everyone is even more blown away and feels it's a better value proposition.

Honestly though I think a $499 price would be justified given the hardware inside this system.

Something seems off here.

Two models maybe, or some kind of added.... something we're not aware of yet. Maybe it's a Windows box and they have to price it to compete in the console space but also not piss off laptop/desktop makers.

I don't think $499 is terrible, just not what I was expecting.

Toki767

The average consumer doesn't look at consoles as first place or second place machines. That's what fanboys think like. The average consumer will simply ask for the most powerful console. Which will be the Scorpio.

The average consumer asks for which console is the cheapest that plays the game they want to play.

Bioshocker

A shame the mainstream audience isn't buying it.

They're not? Xbox One S is fine. Not stellar, not fantastic. But fine. Scorpio was never going to turn the tide for Xbox this generation, it's way too late for that. It's not going to do what Kinect did for Xbox 360 or anything. What it can do, however, is maybe attract some third parties to the Xbox brand by giving them the opportunity to release their games on the most powerful console. "Best on Scorpio".

Feorax

Why would you want to turn an announcement that should generate excitement to one that generates relief instead?

It's $499. This is no fake out.

DNAbro

actually they ask for the cheapest and with games they want.

It's definitely $499. Geoff wouldn't hurt his credibility giving false info. It's a win-win for him, he gets to break the news, and Microsoft can gently soften the blow of the price point before the conference.

Top Bottom