• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: Scorpio rumored to cost $499 (he's right, flawless victory)

Feorax

Also I don't believe that "things can change" last minute. Unless they were purposefully "rehearsing" a price to stop leakers, the price is determined after like years of number crunching and planning. You don't go, "Shit, price sounds bad," and change it last minute.

Precisely. The price will probably have been set in stone for months at this point.

fantomena

Also I don't believe that "things can change" last minute. Unless they were purposefully "rehearsing" a price to stop leakers, the price is determined after like years of number crunching and planning. You don't go, "Shit, price sounds bad," and change it last minute.

Especially after you have to pay for exclusive comarketing with Cigna from Bioware.

Ok then Fall 2018 with Aetna from Bioware.

Didn't Sony decide to go for 399 after MS announced the Xbone for 499 or am I misremembering?

jeffram

Microft should just NOT announce the price today. "Sign up for e-mail alerts to receive the price of Scorpio at a later date."

WadeitOut

Average consumers will ask for the cheapest system. Especially during the holidays when most consumers are shopping for more than one person (for gifts and stuff.)

Neither the Pro or Scorpio are and were never going to be the cheapest system though. So I don't get our point.

iFirez

It's not a mistake.

If you think it's a mistake then this product is simply not for you. It's for the hardcore fans who want their games including third party games to be running well. For those fans who want the best third party versions.

I'm glad MS haven't gone the cheap route.

I mean, I agree, but its not going to really help there position in the market right now, it'l mostly be hardcore xbox owners and gamers in general who buy it. I just hope it comes in black this time, I had to wait months for the grey Xbox One S.

geoffmk

Geoff Keighley
What I don't know is what's in the configuration for $499. But that's where it's starting.

I don't leak games because I would never do that to game creators -- they deserve their moment. This is different, it's the price of a piece of hardware.

Elandyll

Banned
The more I think about it, the more it is clear to me that with MS trying to control the message like crazy and their marketing dept working overtime on it, the most likely is that they purposefully leaked this as a fake price to try and have a "Megaton" $399 reveal at the show, which it normally wouldn't be.

$399 is what we've seen's worth, 1 year after a PS4 pro. There is no magic "this is worth $499 but we're getting it to you for $399", which is what they seem to be aiming for.

If they indeed reveal a $499 I'll be surprised, but if they reveal a $399 it'll just have been a classic MS Marketing powder cloud (pun intended).

MattAces

How about they ban you instead?

Can't stand people asking for valuable members of the gaming community to be banned. Geoff is just telling us what he's been told. He has insiders in the media. What has he got to gain by telling false stories?

I'm sorry, it was meant to be a joke, I love Geoff Keighley :)

I honestly don't understand the outrage over 499. This is a premium product. 499 is pretty cheap for what you're getting.

You are right, though there are 3 camps:

-"PS4 Pro is cheaper with better/more exclusives"

And

-"Outside of the states, the price point will be too high"

And
-"Will just build an upgradeable gaming PC" (especially in places like Canada where PC parts are decently priced)

So yeah you are right, but at $499 USD there's a ton of competition

BigEmil

MS:

keikaku.jpg

Still strongly believe it will be $399, this is only a rumor after all.

Plus, it's DOA at $499, might as well not even bother releasing it.

There's virtually no other interpretation for your comment that I can see. Unless you meant the average consumer asks for the most powerful console, sees it costs 499, and then doesn't buy it? What's the point of that comment?
Yeah my comment ended too early. I can see why you made the assumption you did. My fault. I'm just making the statement that people care more about power than being "first" or "second" place like the person I replied to was alluding to. Now will the Scorpio sell a lot units? Probably not, maybe in a couple years after a price drop.

RedAssedApe

Banned
1) This "leak" by a well-known person has already created a bit of buzz around the new console. This thread alone has got 1500 replies in a relatively short period of time.

2) Now people want to check the news and watch the show to see if the price leak is true.

3) People watching the show are then "surprised" that the console price is actually lower than expcted.

4) Give the initial rumoured premium price of $499, people now see the actual price of 399 as a bargain compared to the expensive 499.

It's a win-win-win-win. So marketing wise, there are plenty of reasons.

everyone wins except geoff. unless they paid him to do this.

Skatterd

It's a good breakdown of MS strategy and thinking behind the product. I've pretty much always thought it was a $499 device.

That doesn't however have any bearing on if the system will actually be successful even within the niche MS are designing it for

I've literally bought every console since the N64 era, even revisions and I'm probably out on this, especially at 499, unless they can do a lot to make it seem worth it. It seems like not reading the room to me.

Ennosuke

Sorry,but I call it delusional if you think they would sell such an amazing piece of hardware for 499.

It was a mistake and did not really make sense to sell the original xbox one for 499, but in this case I can understand the price.

weekev

Banned
Guys, the price is $499 and that is what has been rehearsed.

I mean ther eis a chance they rehearsed at $499 because it matters not what they say in rehearsal to then announce a price of $399....nah its $499, they better announce some tasty exclusives for it, if everything remains cross platform I can't see it doing terribly well.

David___

Banned
No shit...but why rehearse that part which is probably the biggest news to come out will be the price. Why would you need to rehearse saying "$499.99"? I get rehearsing all the other parts of the show, but for this particular portion, they really don't.

I'm actually surprised they would rehearse that part.

Probably dont want a repeat of this:
https://youtu.be/B2zslQ9PWPQ?t=33

Edit: Good lord the delusion in this thread

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
You don't release a premium product at that price while dragging behind in market share. If sony didnt, when they had every reason to, why should MS?

You dont release the Pro or Scorpio hoping to gain or take marketshare.

Thats the the Slim versions are for.

Sony also didnt make as many changes as MS did. MS also went bigger.

Sorry to say, but them going bigger might be reflected in the price.

GHG

Gold Member
This looks like the equivalent of "this is the price, now let me show you why" rather than the other way round.

They need to do a more than amazing job at explaining why this is worth 500 bucks. The average consumer will laugh at that price and move on to the pro. I can't imagine any company making a console for that small of a market that they only want to appeal to the hardcore who care about this stuff at that price

krae_man

I'm not surprised. Everyone who knows what components cost was saying hitting 6 tera flops for under $399 will be next to impossible without selling at a massive lost from the very beginning.

It's also funny because Sony did what they needed to in order to hit that $399 price point(remove UHD) and they got blasted for it.

I guess manufacturers will never win unless they sell their stuff for massive unsustainable losses.

Eh..dang

I'll pry just stick with my S then. My PS4 pro will be good enough for most 3rd party games on my 4k tv, and I don't play enough Xbox exclusives to justify it.

anothertech

I guess the question is if you can wait until like March to get one when it is inevitably not $499. Buying an Xbone at launch was a huge mistake for me. Price dropped super fast and the launch software sucked. Why not wait until March to play UnitedHealth from Bioware?
LOLOLOL

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
1) This "leak" by a well-known person has already created a bit of buzz around the new console. This thread alone has got 1500 replies in a relatively short period of time.

2) Now people want to check the news and watch the show to see if the price leak is true.

3) People watching the show are then "surprised" that the console price is actually lower than expcted.

4) Give the initial rumoured premium price of $499, people now see the actual price of 399 as a bargain compared to the expensive 499.

Except it's not a win for Geoff, he wouldn't intentionally leak the wrong price knowing his credibility would take a hit.

Baleoce

Seems like an intentional leak tbh to quell the dissapointment later on. Let's be fair though, Scorpio sounds like a beast so I'm not surprised. It's a niche product for a niche portion of their customers (ie. those who can actually afford to make full use of this device in the first place). So it makes sense it also has a niche price.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

Especially after you have to pay for exclusive comarketing with Cigna from Bioware.

Ok then Fall 2018 with Aetna from Bioware.

It is common practise to rehearse with wrong information if it's incredibly sensitive information.

The more I think about it, the more it is clear to me that with MS trying to control the message like crazy and their marketing dept working overtime on it, the most likely is that they purposefully leaked this as a fake price to try and have a "Megaton" $399 reveal at the show, which it normally wouldn't be.

$399 is what we've seen's worth, 1 year aftet a PS4 pro. There is no magic "this is worth $499 but we're getting it to you for $399", which is what they seem to be aiming for.

If they indeed reveal a $499 I'll be surprised, but if they reveal a $399 it'll just have been a classic MS Marketing powder cloud (pun intended).

that would also make geoff a MS tool and not a real journalist...

bowvEWh.gif

I am loving these theories.

Top Bottom