• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: Scorpio rumored to cost $499 (he's right, flawless victory)

Toni

7SqpKHt.gif

Im fucking done with ya'll 😂😂😭

jaaz

As a Pro owner who bought the console for $399, I would not have seen $499 as a deterrent. If you want to have the enthusiast experience, an extra $100 won't stop you.

You are delusional. Consumers are not that stupid. The upgrades the Pro has over the OG PS4 was and is in no way worth $200 more, and I have both. No idea if the Scorpio is worth $200 over the Xbox One, but I can tell you the Pro isn't.

It seems plausible to use a fake price during rehearsal. No ?
Hypothetically, yes. But then, why have a price at all? Why not just rehearse with no number on that slide at all?

Assuming the $499 price is false info requires belief that Microsoft intended it to be leaked. Which again, isn't outside the realm of possibility.

But Occam's Razor has to come into play eventually. Is it more likely that Microsoft is engaging in a conspiracy with Geoff Keighley to run a false flag operation on the enthusiast games media, or did they just choose a price that is higher than this community anticipated?

anothertech

To soften the blow and prepare expectations.
Because 3 days ago someone found a picture on google that said you could build s robot for less than 400$ and they convinced the world there was s connection to Scorpio when there wasn't. MS was probably straight shook when that happened and needed to soften the blow.

clem84

Gold Member
Welp no buy until $400 unless it comes with elite controller. Hoping there is a $450 or $00 sku

I'm thinking those elite controllers are probably not that expensive to manufacture so bundling one of them with the console would be a really good selling point. "You get a 150$ controller with this console". I'd say there's a good chance they'll do it.

geoffmk

Geoff Keighley
Can't it still be subjected to change last minute?

Especially based off of the reactions this price is getting on the internet right now?

From what I remember Sony didn't have the PS4 final price locked in until Microsoft revealed the Xbox One price right?

That's why I said it could change, it's not official until it is announced. But based on what I've heard since I tweeted, they are rolling ahead with $499. Any price change would be very last minute, and no way, they trim $100 off.

Honestly given the tech in there I understand the $499. But open question on if the games/experience will justify that pricetag, we will see today.

I've also heard final name is in the Twitter poll I put up.

IHaveIce

Banned
What I don't know is what's in the configuration for $499. But that's where it's starting.

I don't leak games because I would never do that to game creators -- they deserve their moment. This is different, it's the price of a piece of hardware.

And the name?

fantomena

What I don't know is what's in the configuration for $499. But that's where it's starting.

I don't leak games because I would never do that to game creators -- they deserve their moment. This is different, it's the price of a piece of hardware.

Understandable.

Syrus

Banned
For what they're offering compared to PS4 Pro, the price difference is understandable, but this will not change market share for them compared to PS4. Unless they could start relying on emphasizing 60fps, such as saying Destiny 2 on Scorpio would run at 60fps, but I don't see that happening due to the CPU. This hurt my excitement :(

Agreed , 499 isny a bad price compared va Pro and X1 buts too high to gain alot of marketshare

How much does a comparable PC cost? They may need to hammer this point home if they are going to sell a $500 console. Also, I need them to explain their vision for this. How many years of gaming am I going to get out of this before the next xbox is released. Are we done with generations and this thing will get 10 years of support or is this being released to show that MS can piss further than Sony this generation. Tonight I going to decide whether to buy the scorpion or build a gaming pc.

CKHo4ZlaudKdG.webp

Jokes aside, probably an upgraded version for 1TB+ meaning a higher price.

ManUtd78

Neo Member
So they're using a price that is $100 higher than the real one? That makes so much sense!

Come on now.

Think he could be right . Last year the whole,show was ruined by the leak could be true. Looks the negative response already.
I have no issue with the price TBH they might throw in an elite controller if it's for a premium gamer. Would make sense.

Best to wait then we can all dissect it later.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why would it be "Xbox 10"? That make no sense. I'm going with Xbox One X. And we can call it Xbonx.

RIP for real

mauaus

After owning a one and hardly ever playing it (also own a pro and prefer playing third party there) this is a bit too bold from ms. Unless they showcase some major exclusives (halo and gears is definitely not enough these days)

Ramirez

I know nothing about the environments of these rehearsals, but it seems odd they would allow anyone in to see it, and if they did, seems there would be a gentleman's agreement to not leak such a huge thing. Especially when you're someone as well known as GK, odd.

That's why I said it could change, it's not official until it is announced. But based on what I've heard since I tweeted, they are rolling ahead with $499. Any price change would be very last minute, and no way, they trim $100 off.

Honestly given the tech in there I understand the $499. But open question on if the games/experience will justify that pricetag, we will see today.

Hi Geoff, can you link to the poll? I'm not aware of the names

GHG

Gold Member

Starting?

Oh lord... If there is a $599 SKU lord have mercy.

GAF won't recover.

weekev

Banned

Fancy linking to the Twitter poll so we can all have a wee guess before the conference?

FZZ

Banned

Alright that makes sense, still have my fingers crossed for 449 if in some way they can shave off 50

Thank you for the information!

Zok310

Banned
Yup. I didn't buy a 4K TV to play games at fuckin' 1080p or 1440p upscaled. Give me a true 4K console or don't even try. MS is going all out on this thing while Sony put in like 2/4 of the effort. The day the Scorpio news went up on DF, I looked at my Pro and literally "What is the point of you."

Well its point should be jumping on top of your head now, its literally $100 cheaper than the Scorpio and is a great introductory console for those trying to get into 4K at a budget this late in the gen.

Can't wait for all the crow when it's announced at $399 in 4 hours.

We all know huge changes like this don't happen in the span of a mere 4 hours.

Geoff trying to trick people who don't understand how this works, with that easy out for himself.

Top Bottom