• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: Scorpio rumored to cost $499 (he's right, flawless victory)

AAMARMO

Banned
What I don't know is what's in the configuration for $499. But that's where it's starting.

I don't leak games because I would never do that to game creators -- they deserve their moment. This is different, it's the price of a piece of hardware.

Know if the Elite Controller is going to be bundle with it?

Why would it be "Xbox 10"? That make no sense. I'm going with Xbox One X. And we can call it Xbonx.

I am going with Xbox 6.

Because its how many teraflops it has.

And because 6 is bigger then 4. And in 2 years time 6 is still bigger then 5.

Gotta keep Xbox's illogical numbering alive.

DCDjjbVXUAAOnfu.jpg

https://twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO/status/873948531660382208

Kaz does it again lol

What I don't know is what's in the configuration for $499. But that's where it's starting.

I don't leak games because I would never do that to game creators -- they deserve their moment. This is different, it's the price of a piece of hardware.

L O L
if thats where its starting... oh boy

LevelNth

Banned
Have they said if there are going to be Scorpio exclusive games? I can't imagine there not being any with a price tag like this, you can't have every game held back by the old system specs...

Can you?

Rolf NB

that would also make geoff a MS tool and not a real journalist...
The opposite is true.

All those interviews in the past year with Phil Spencer where the price isn't even asked, and Youtube is full of them, are the softball fluff pieces. If you get that chance, a Q&A window with someone who should know the most important unrevealed detail, and you don't even ask, that's how you reveal yourself as a PR facilitating non-journalist.

Journalism is researching, extracting and revealing details. Exactly what Keighley has done. The opportunity was given to him, so this too may have been calculated, but it's still respect +1 for him in any case.

I thought it was going to be 599 because it is so incredibly powerful machine.
I thought MS might do it with Scorpio, but I still think MS will have a console/PC appliance hybrid in the future that will be more than $500. We are already starting to see the basis for it with the locked down Windows S.

I'm not going to leak games - not fair to the teams. There are unannounced titles in there that haven't been leaked yet, plus a lot of what you'd expect.

Since you are doubling down on this and you seem to be a good guy in general, I will take your word for the price. This seems in line with what many were expecting early on.

True Fire

I think everyone is still too traumatized by $599 to realize that it's been over a decade. Inflation has set in. Consumer expectations for electronics have changed—electronics are now a premium and a status symbol. People are dropping serious cash on phones, tablets, macbooks, etc.

It's only a matter of time before Sony and Microsoft revisit the $599 price point. If not now, then 2021 for sure.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm not convinced that Geoff Keighley is doing anything here apart from exactly what Microsoft are paying him to do. Almost a "Let's not have another E3 like the others, we'll just sneak it out quietly and spend the show concentrating on the technology". The last thing they need is a show where the attendees are too pissed off to cheer.

Don't be silly. If indeed Geoff is wrong, it will simply be because he's been played by a fake price at rehearsals, not because he's been played.

Warablo

So Phil Spencer is going on stage to announce a $499 price tag to a cricket crowd. At least it's not Don Mattrick again.

disclaimer, not a xbox fanboy nor will I be buying a Scorpio at any price..or a pro for that matter.

I don't understand why or how... $499 is too much? I see these reactions everywhere, but is Scorpio not positioned to be the "best" or a luxury box? I am really confused.

People that want the best console tech will likely have no issue paying that price. 500USd is objectively not much money in the frame of "best". If you can't or don't want to pay that much... you can play on normal Xbox..or I guess save up for it.

From the reactions here...Microsoft has to build a lot of value to justify that price(if real) though ,so we will see how they do. Should be interesting.

Was PS3 too much? That had built in wifi, BC, bluray player etc. Was XBone too much? That had Kinect (lol). Both were positioned as the best in their own ways. Both were too much at launch and both were rejected vs their competitor.

MS also has a content problem. Will they fix that at E3? I'm not holding my breath. So to just play the same games at their "best" is a hard pill to swallow at that price.

Rover99

Banned
People who thought $399 was attainable especially after the DF breakdown were really just being delusional or wishful thinkers. The realists always knew it would $499+

george_us

Yoooooo.

Too bad I can't catch MS's conference tonight. Shit is going to be hysterical.

The other side of the leak though is that everyone is now expecting $499 and when it really is $499 then it’s not as big of a shock.

Get all the rage (I.e. This thread) out of the way before the conference.

Top Bottom