• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: Scorpio rumored to cost $499 (he's right, flawless victory)

DC1

It really needs to be called Nextbox
200w.gif

Pantz

If it was supposed to soften the blow, it seems it's just given people preparation time to find their pitchforks.

I'm cool with any price though.

If it's worth it, $499 won't stop me. Hell I'm ready for Microsoft to go all out and make the best console they possibly can for $599.

Remember the elite controller for $150? That was sold out for months.

j-wood

Yeah, this was an absolutely intentional leak so they could gauge reaction. I have never, ever, seen Geoff spill something on twitter like that because he's such a huge industry guy with access.

At most, if he had gotten this info from sources, his tweet would have read something like "big surprises in store at the Xbox presser today, can't wait to see everyone's reaction!"

So yeah, intentional leak, with Geoff probably getting permission from Microsoft to send it out lol

Why would it be "Xbox 10"? That make no sense. I'm going with Xbox One X. And we can call it Xbonx.
Gives them branding consistency with Windows 10. Also fits speculation that the machine runs on Windows 10 S, a version of their OS that is limited to app store installs.

FZZ

Banned
Not sure why everybody believed Pachter's $400 prediction in the first place.

I don't think people did

I was optimistically hoping for 449 tho

I think that price point would be perfect

(wink) (wink) Major Nelson & Phil Spencer (wink) (wink)

tommyguns

What I don't know is what's in the configuration for $499. But that's where it's starting.

I don't leak games because I would never do that to game creators -- they deserve their moment. This is different, it's the price of a piece of hardware.

Very interesting. I was hoping for 399. However depending on the configuration and what is actually shown today, 499 might still work. (For me at least)

Everyone with these drawn out theories about MS and Geoff.

If it is not $499 (which I don't think it is, I could build a more powerful PC for $499 than the Scorpio) then it is simply a matter of MS rehearsing with the wrong price to throw off would be leakers, which is not the first time this would have happened at E3.

If this was a new gen console with it's own exclusives, then I can somewhat understand the price, but it's too much for a mid-gen refresh. I hope this is just a marketing stunt, but I feel it's not.

Haines

Banned
Probably call it two and act like they are starting the next generation.

Because really what the hell else is the next gen going to look like

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
The opposite is true.

All those interviews in the past year with Phil Spencer where the price isn't even asked, and Youtube is full of them, are the softball fluff pieces. If you get that chance, a Q&A window with someone who should know the most important unrevealed detail, and you don't even ask, that's how you reveal yourself as a PR facilitating non-journalist.

Journalism is researching, extracting and revealing details. Exactly what Keighley has done. The opportunity was given to him, so this too may have been calculated, but it's still respect +1 for him in any case.

Typically you get a list of questions that you can't ask when conducting an interview.

Hopefully the price has some flexibility and has been marked up to $499 but really comes in lower.

For UK and Europe a straight conversion from $499 with VAT would be £469 and €535. Back in 2013 Xbox One was announced at $499 €499 £429. Unfortunately Europe has around 20% VAT the € has slipped towards the dollar and even the £ has slipped due to Brexit.

If there's a £430-450 and €500 price announced along side $499 you can bet the US price has been marked up a little or MS is taking a hit. Sony have managed to keep the PS4 Pro since launch in Europe/UK competitive compared to what the usual conversion with VAT should be.

Announcing €535-550 and £470 would kill it over here but I guess mainland Europe don't care much so this niche premium Xbox product can make the European eyes water if it must..

DieH@rd

Banned
So Phil Spencer is going on stage to announce a $499 price tag to a cricket crowd. At least it's not Don Mattrick again.

Spencer announced the $499 price of Xbox One, not Mattrick. Mattrick was final speaker of "TV TV Sports Sports" in the black tent unveil event, while Spencer finished E3 2013 keynote.

rdytoroll

Will be DOA in Sony country Germany. I have a Xbox One S and a PS4 and really wanted competition in my market, which is the best thing for any consumer. I don't see many people here buying a 500€ or more Microsoft console

Top Bottom