• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: Scorpio rumored to cost $499 (he's right, flawless victory)

TB12

Banned
6c2e34e7-99e6-4aed-a5c7-92f3279c2186.jpg

No mater what te price is, i already preorder that damm thing :p

but its gonna be $399 folks!!!

I-hate-u

Geoff knows a lot of what is going on behind the scenes, why would tweet something like this hours before their conference?

My guess:

A. They told him about the price in confidence, and he broke that trust, which i doubt because he wouldn't want to derail his relationship with MS.

B. This is a journalistic effort on his part to find information about Scorpio pricing, and this is a legit leak

C. MS told him to tweet a bad pricing so that they come out on stage and surprise everyone with a low price point, generating more buzz and internet hype. I doubt this is true because it would sbotage Geoff's credibility in the future.

I am going with B.

ArjanN

People in this thread really believe MS would collude with Geoff (putting his name on the line) to throw people off. And create a negative narrative 6 hours before their presentation?

Hand in your tinfoil hats.

This. Geoff doesn't even work for MS.

I could see MS giving themselves some wiggle room on the price though.

But 499$ isn't all that unexpected, given the most powerful console ev4r PR angle they're going with.

I mean even at $499 it's not unreasonable. I don't get how so much people want so much from a console at that cheap of a price. The system is damn near a $700-1000 PC. Coming in at $499 isn't bad, and if it is he true price, I expect that Microsoft WILL have content to show otherwise why it is worth it. They will have more shit to show to make ppl understand that they aren't messing around and this system will perform up to task. I don't underestimate this at all.

Watch as this event doesn't actually reveal the price, and this board spends the next month trying to figure out exactly what con got pulled on them.

Rolf NB

Typically you get a list of questions that you can't ask when conducting an interview.
Well that's not journalism either. Maybe that's the accepted standard for gaem yournalism these days. Doesn't make it any less insane to criticise a rare journalistic act in this industry calling "bad journalist".

Isurus

Eh, I'm totally fine with the $499 price point. Realistically, we all should have expected it all along given the target market, "premium" messaging around it, and the components relative to those use in other current gen consoles. It's clearly not meant to push a lot of hardware sales volume (hence the discount of the Xbox One S recently, which is targeted at that) and is, instead, a niche product that allows them to say they have the most powerful console hardware in the market right now. I'm definitely still preordering ASAP.

That being said, MS's biggest problem is that the gaming press are likely to pan them for this price point. It's 2013 all over again when compared to the competition. At least they have the better hardware, this time. They just need to message this during the conference very, very well. The games better show up with it.

MechDX

If it was 399, it would be concerning as they would have to have sacrificed on the quality of the components. It's an enthusiast product.

I am an enthusiast. I have been with Xbox since its inception and a paying Xbox Live member since it started and was an original Live beta tester.

Just like that Im done.

FHIZ

Why would it be "Xbox 10"? That make no sense. I'm going with Xbox One X. And we can call it Xbonx.

Tie it in with the Windows eco system which is the direction they've been going.

Curve ball is they call it the Xbox One X but say "ten." That's my stupid bet.

KageMaru

If Scorpio is $499, then it will likely flop in sales.
It would simply be another mistake by Microsoft in the middle of a bunch of other mistakes.

The system was never going to sell a ton anyways. They've already made it clear that they expect the XBOS to outsell it.

Upinsmoke

Even though I'm not interested in this product, especially at the price rumoured, Xbox One X or the One X sounds most appealing name wise.

If it was 399, it would be concerning as they would have to have sacrificed on the quality of the components. It's an enthusiast product.

That is the difficulty of making an enthusiast product in what as been a people friendly market. PC is the enthusiast market.

I think Sony realised this, and made consoles to a price point (£350 here in the uk)/

I am looking forward to see whats up Microsoft sleeve though. Think there will be a few surprises.

I mean even at $499 it's not unreasonable. I don't get how so much people want so much from a console at that cheap of a price. The system is damn near a $700-1000 PC. Coming in at $499 isn't bad, and if it is he true price, I expect that Microsoft WILL have content to show otherwise why it is worth it. They will have more shit to show to make ppl understand that they aren't messing around and this system will perform up to task. I don't underestimate this at all.

Yeah I agree. If this is this price, then they are probably pretty confident with what they will show today and we can see a big leap in performance.

Top Bottom