• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: Scorpio rumored to cost $499 (he's right, flawless victory)

Innolis

$499? Xbox go home...

He HAS to be deflecting / setting up for a $399 pricepoint at the conference, no way they price it that high!

Better be a powerful ass console for that price. If its just another 4K machine like the Pro, they shot themselves in the foot.
We already know it's significantly more powerful than the Pro.

The real question is if that power will matter in the end. The major games on this thing are still tied to the XBox ONE - thus, there's a limitation on what that power can be used for.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
That's what I'm saying. The price is not even the biggest hurdle of this thing. Remember, people were more skeptical on what GAMES Xbox would have...the price was always the second thing. If Microsoft has games, the price won't matter. Having that premium game experience is what they are pushing for and the system has all the bells and whistles to do so, including its media capabilities. They are going to sell the hell out of $499, because they can.

Of course the price matters.

ArchAngel

Maybe they will include a free game at launch ... download only ... 180GB ...

Every Scorio game has to also work on the original Xbox One, or did they change that?

Jigorath

Banned
sweatin
Z6hsmMy.png

lol

What did MS do to piss off Geoff?

OptimusLime

Jesus, I shouldn't be surprised given the visionless leadership of Spencer, but this is reaching levels of absurdity I haven't seen before.

How the hell can he act so excited for this shit online when he knows he's going to be fleecing the customer so hard. It's beyond disgusting. It's downright insane.

Executives gonna executive.

Probably can't wait to be proven right if he's seen some of the reactions. I'd be the smuggest fucker on the planet if I could make this many people eat crow.

Will feel for him if wrong though, will probably never hear the end of it.
That is exactly why I believe him. I don't think he would come in here and tweet that if this is some stunt.

Spasm

Nobody who relies on their credibility to make a living would willfully be 'in' on any misdirection. Geoff legitimately believes it's $499. And MS would be super-scummy if they took advantage of someone who relies on their credibility for a living in order to sell some needless misdirection.

wildfire

Banned
Seeing too many of these "definitely $399 now" responses makes me realize that being a part of this community doesn't mean the average dedicated gamer is informed or that smart about their hobby.

This is Geoff and the way he manages his relationships with those in the gaming industry is very precise.

MS asked him to announce this hypekiller in advance. Geoff hedged his wording in case MS got cold feet over the negative reaction.

You really should pay attention to how he talks to people in the industry. The only time he ever put anyone on full blast was Konami because it was extremely safe to do so.

This guy will never step out of line in order to maintain his industry connections.

Mooreberg

For people saying that $499 is a reasonable price - do you think MS would even have new hardware coming out this year if Xbox One was in roughly the same market position as Xbox 360 after three and a half years? It is a response to what is going on in the market, but at $499, it would not be the correct response. I guess we'll know in a few hours.

looool

Xbox One sales hit a brick wall from the very start. After they lost March of 2014 ["Have you seen Titanfall?"] against Second Son, the pricedrop was inevitable. It arrived on June 2014 when they offered Kinect-less Xbox One for $399.

Yep at that price it's very limited. Of course your early adopters are going to buy it but once they dry up you're screwed and have to drop. Do MS really want to be losing money so soon in the new year when sales dry up and they need to price drop. Unless it was positioned that way from the start it's a big gamble for MS for what will be a niche product over their budget sku (which isn't setting the tills alight as is). Maybe they can dump the Elite controller (if it comes pre packed in) ala Kinect. But it's all sounding dejavu tbh.

500$ makes perfect sense for the product and what it can do...

That said, I have a very hard time believing its going to do well at that price point. I haven't seen Microsoft really answer a simple question: Who exactly is this product for?

Its clearly not for the average consumer who can't afford a 500$ upgraded system let alone a 4K TV to take advantage of it.

It's not for kids who will never be able to get their parents to buy a 500$ system over the much cheaper options for the holiday season.

It's clearly not for the tech enthusiast as they'd clearly rather buy a high end PC.

So is it just the diehard xbox fans then? That won't carry the sales alone and its setting themselves up for massive failure much like how Steam Machines were the past few years. Hardware alone doesn't sell a product and Microsofts other decisions such as not allowing Scorpio only games or putting first party titles on PC doesn't really help them.

Then you have to think about the next generation. We're already midway past this generations life-cycle introducing this system now brings into question if Microsoft hasn't made a huge mistake by diverting time, resources, and a lot of money into this systems development that would have been much better spent on the next generations system instead.

This also doesn't do anything to help Microsoft in the worldwide arena either. People are already talking about how much it'll cost in other regions which is something that Microsoft still isn't doing well in. It does well in USA thanks to the brand alone and the companies pedigree but outside of the states its sales have largely been lack luster.

I'd like to think that they could really have one hell of an exclusive to push on this thing but even if they do... It'll also be on PC with the first party XB1 games going to PC as well unless they decide to stop doing that now which also won't help them. It could be a third party exclusive (or timed exclusive like TR was in the past) but that would be a severely... odd decision to make when you look at how TR performed because of that decision on both XB1 and PS4, the blowback hurt that game a lot despite it being pretty great overall.

I just look at what Microsoft is doing and a lot of the decisions they've made just don't make sense to me. Closing studios, canceling multiple games that are far into production, completely giving up on the Japanese market and not at all courting Japanese developers, this isn't even talking about all the mistakes they started the generation with. I just don't understand what they are thinking and how they think they are going to be able to compete in this industry with moves like this. These decisions are like Sega during the Saturn era bad.

I'm not exactly a fan of Microsoft to begin with but I did buy a XB1 about a year after it came out and eventually sold it when they kept canceling every freaking game I was looking forward to and I thought that Scorpio could be really cool but while things like the Xbox Games pass thing sound intriguing they also seem desperate and its getting more and more obvious that the generation is already won by Sony and at this point Microsoft is trying to be like Nintendo and do their own thing now but the reason Nintendo generally succeeds with doing something different is that they have some really unique tech and great ideas and the IP and developers to back it up, Microsoft doesn't really have that. They've always been focused on the power of a system, not the uniqueness, the 'great ideas' they've had have backfired massively (Xb1 reveal, holy cow what a shit show that was), they have some strong IP but time and again they aren't using it well and the developers they've got are few and far between now since they've closed studios and canceled many projects already quite far into production.

I just don't understand why Microsoft does the things that it does, Nintendo and Sony I can understand even when I don't agree with the decisions at all but I still understand at the core why they are doing that but with Microsoft what they do just doesn't make sense to me. Yes the XB1 wasn't as powerful as the PS4 and they got mocked for that early on but Scropio is TOO powerful and its coming out way to late to make a difference at the price they want it for.

I guess we'll see if Microsoft has some secrets that they'll be showing off tonight for the system or games or something but justify this but right now I really question that price point and what Microsoft wants its position to be within the industry and I'm not sure they have a direct answer to that last question either.

If the plan was to sell Xbox One S at $199 and Scorpio at $499 then I don't understand the point of Scorpio even existing. That price desparity is insane, even if it is that much more powerful the mainstream won't buy a $500 box that plays the same games as the $200 box, just prettier. Not sure what Microsoft's thinking with this one.

If this is too off topic from the OP let me know.

I can see this Scorpio being a monster, shit hot piece of tech but do you guys think anyone will take advantage of that? Like will we actually get some unique first and third party games that really take advantage of the tech, or will this thing just collect dust on entertainment center shelves in living rooms?

scitek

We already know it's significantly more powerful than the Pro.

The real question is if that power will matter in the end. The major games on this thing are still tied to the XBox ONE - thus, there's a limitation on what that power can be used for.

If it came out at the same time as the Pro, costing more than it would make sense. Launching a year later makes that argument a little harder to accept.

watership

$499 USD would be $Nope In Canadian dollars. I just can't get it at that price. Cost of gaming in Canada is already terrible, just can't justify it. I'd have to stick to my Xbox One S.

Kickz

Seeing too many of these "definitely $399 now" responses makes me realize that being a part of this community doesn't mean the average dedicated gamer is informed or that smart about their hobby.

This is Geoff and the way he manages his relationships with those in the gaming industry is very precise.

MS asked him to announce this hypekiller in advance. Geoff hedged his wording in case MS got cold feet over the negative reaction.

You really should pay attention to how he talks to people in the industry. The only time he ever put anyone on full blast was Konami because it was extremely safe to do so.

This guy will never step out of line in order to maintain his industry connections.

So $399 it is then

Top Bottom