• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: Scorpio rumored to cost $499 (he's right, flawless victory)

Tecnniqe

Banned
Nobody can survive that,

PS3_price.jpg

Nobody
Sony should be DOA based on this

TB12

Banned
At this price you probably won't have any trouble securing one on launch day even without paying Game Mania 25 Euro two years ahead of launch.

I dunno man, there is always a strong xbox enthousiast scene in Holland. the 360 era was huge then, so maybe they jump back again from the ps4?

Oublieux

That strategy simply does not make sense for a premium product being released in the middle of a generation. You can't gain significant market share on price because cost conscious consumers will always buy the more affordable base models. In addition, the cost conscious consumers are not the ones who will be upgrading their existing consoles based on power. To sell Scorpio at a loss is to lose money trying to get a market the product was never designed to compete for.

That's true as the scenario that I mentioned above was more or less when there was really only one SKU for a console product. The landscape is significantly different now that we have two tiers for each console and selling at a loss to make profit via software sales might not be as viable as there is a lower priced model.

I still think it will be 499, but there is a small feeling in the pit of my stomach that says I shouldn't completely dismiss 399 as crazy as they sounds.

DNAbro

Im not convinced, PRO released LAST YEAR at $399. a little bigger APU on Scorpio shouldn't cost MS $100 more. No Vega, no Zen ..upclocked Jag with 40CU GPU.

Scorpio is gonna be $399, Im certain MS isnt dumb to release it at more than that.

Yeah you are right, the PS4 cost 399 a year ago. So that means they should drop the price to 299 this year.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I guess you'll know if they don't give the price at the beginning of the conf what the price is.

Mauddib

Banned
Seeing too many of these "definitely $399 now" responses makes me realize that being a part of this community doesn't mean the average dedicated gamer is informed or that smart about their hobby.

This is Geoff and the way he manages his relationships with those in the gaming industry is very precise.

MS asked him to announce this hypekiller in advance. Geoff hedged his wording in case MS got cold feet over the negative reaction.

You really should pay attention to how he talks to people in the industry. The only time he ever put anyone on full blast was Konami because it was extremely safe to do so.

This guy will never step out of line in order to maintain his industry connections.

MS told him to do so because they want the price discussion quickly out of the way before the show starts.

Fucking disgusting. I hope the entire leadership at Xbox realizes what they've done to this console when this thing flops.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So, let me get this straight...

people in here actually think that

- 10% more CPU Power
- 50% more GPU Power
- 50% more RAM
- 50% more Bandwidth
- UHD Blu-ray instead of a regular Drive

in comparison to a PS4 Pro will come at no extra cost whatsoever?

Yes, because it is 12 months later.

12 months later and 4 extra gigs of ram should be the same price?

I keep saying this....look at any pre built PC with the same specs as each other except the ram is 8 vs 12. Watch the price differences you find.

At a minimum I expected 450. For me I hope its a marketing ploy and its 399.

This thing is a step above the Pro. Even 12 months later.

What if.....a last minute twist they call this their next gen system. That might make $499 easier to swallow.

Everybody else coming up with some theories, might as well throw in mine.

$399 was the hope but $499 was always the number I saw it coming out at. Same price as the launch XB1 but minus the Kinect limiting the horsepower.

Nobody who relies on their credibility to make a living would willfully be 'in' on any misdirection. Geoff legitimately believes it's $499. And MS would be super-scummy if they took advantage of someone who relies on their credibility for a living in order to sell some needless misdirection.

Why would it be scummy to fake out potential leakers? It wouldn't be their fault a high profile guy like Geoff was the one to run with it.

Stiler

499?

Whelp, Microsoft just shot themselves in the foot with that. Did they learn NOTHING from the past? How did that work out for sony with the ps3?

Average consumer walks into a store, wants a 4k capable/hdr gaming machine, sees ps4 pro at 399 or xbox scorpio at 499, wonder which he'[ll choose?

Sony already has the upper hand when it comes to the exclusives and games, on top of that making it $100 cheaper than the xbox it's a no brainer.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I guess you'll know if they don't give the price at the beginning of the conf what the price is.

If it's 499 they will announce it at the beginning and end with the high note on games. If it's 399 or less they will announce it at the end.

Im not convinced, PRO released LAST YEAR at $399. a little bigger APU on Scorpio shouldn't cost MS $100 more. No Vega, no Zen ..upclocked Jag with 40CU GPU.

Scorpio is gonna be $399, Im certain MS isnt dumb to release it at more than that.
You have to also factor the ram increase and cooling solution. Those are things that make it different from pro. Which is an added cost.

The average consumer doesn't look at consoles as first place or second place machines. That's what fanboys think like. The average consumer will simply ask for the most powerful console. Which will be the Scorpio.

If that's what the "average" consumer did, then PS3 would have sold more (in NA, at least), Xbox would have trampled over the PS2, etc.

clintar

Geoff: "they have a point. I would never leak game info usually."
Spencer: "just say you wouldn't do that to developers, but hardware don't matter"

I keep thinking on this...

The XB1 was a mistake to be priced at $500. And it was $500 because it was bundled with Kinect.

The PS4 was priced appropriately at $400.

Sony’s mid cycle refresh stayed at $400.

For Microsft’s mid cycle refresh to arrive a year after Sony’s at $100 more and to not take the opportunity to correct the pricing issue.....I just don’t get it.

Price is the #1 most important factor. With speed to market and graphical power nearby.

Aiii

So not worth it
I dunno man, there is always a strong xbox enthousiast in Holland. the 360 huge then, so maybe they jump back again from the ps4?

The 360 was only huge until the PS3 came down from that ridiculous high price that no consumer wanted to pay for a console (heh, irony), after that the PS3 pretty much equaled it in sales by the end of the generation. NL has pretty much always been PlayStation country, traditionally.

Kickz

499?

Whelp, Microsoft just shot themselves in the foot with that. Did they learn NOTHING from the past? How did that work out for sony with the ps3?

Average consumer walks into a store, wants a 4k capable/hdr gaming machine, sees ps4 pro at 399 or xbox scorpio at 499, wonder which he'[ll choose?

Sony already has the upper hand when it comes to the exclusives and games, on top of that making it $100 cheaper than the xbox it's a no brainer.

Pro is not a real 4k box

Cant even play 4k blurays😂

Microsoft is reading this right now and is gonna change it to $399. Mark my words.
Microsoft does not care about GAF. As far as I can tell, this is the only community that really sold itself on the $399 narrative. Thus, it's the only one that will react negatively to $499. Everyone else will be unsurprised, namely because that's what most people forecasted based on the internals.

They're not going to take a 20% reduction in revenue just to please one niche fan community that already hates them.

Top Bottom