• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: Scorpio rumored to cost $499 (he's right, flawless victory)

I mean, its a lot of cash to throw down on a new console mid cycle. Microsoft is in a strange position. Heres this box that is going to be really strong, but not as strong as a PC. Also, their exclusives are all seemingly going to be on the PC. So I dont really see a reason to put down 500 dollars on this thing. I still respect the effort, Microsoft has gone a long way to make good on the terrible launch of the xbox one. It's going to be interesting if this effort will play out in terms of sale.

Hellshy.

But you still need the CPU, power, casing, etc. And you need to put the time in to put it all together, install software, and optimize games.

Scorpio? You plug it in and get instant 4K 60fps. For cheaper.

Wait is this actually a thing? Are we all expecting Scorpio games to run at 60fps? I did not know this. That's awesome if true

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Gotta hand it to MS, one of the best stunts ever, just look at this thread, over 50 pages already and it's not slowing down, lol.

Who is going to buy this ? How will they make any money ?

People who want to upgrade.

We have to think this is not supposed to blow the doors off. Of course MS and Sony would love to sell them like the base units but the reality is PS4 Pro has about 20-30% sales of PS4 last I looked. MS might try for more.

Ultimately this is for those who want to upgrade. Xbox One came out a little weak, and there's 4k televisions becoming the norm. 2017 and beyond, 720-900p isn't going to cut it for some. These new machines can cater for those and stop people looking over to PC and partially leaving the ecosystem. It just keeps some people up with the times and avoids the upheaval of a whole new system and blank slate every five years.

Last gen started to go stale around 2010. This keeps things interesting for a while longer.

llien

Im not convinced, PRO released LAST YEAR at $399. a little bigger APU on Scorpio shouldn't cost MS $100 more. No Vega, no Zen ..upclocked Jag with 40CU GPU.

Scorpio is gonna be $399, Im certain MS isnt dumb to release it at more than that.

Yeah, I also think along these lines, we are basically going from double 7870 in PS4Pro to a tad bigger GPU than 480, Jaguar bump is ignorable,

This simply can not cost whopping extra 100$ one year after PS4 release.

I could imagine Microsoft asking $449, if they insist on playing stupid, but find that unlikely.

People have been spending the last year thinking Scorpio would make Microsoft competitive again. Now hours before the announcement the message being passed around is "it's not meant for everybody". Can't blame anyone for being shocked.
That is their fault. This has always been positioned as a premium console for the core market.

ArchAngel

People have been spending the last year thinking Scorpio would make Microsoft competitive again. Now hours before the announcement the message being passed around is "it's not meant for everybody". Can't blame anyone for being shocked.

But Phil said exactly this a loooong time ago.

Some of you are making me want to tear my fro out.

The moms and pops buy the $299 console that plays the same freaking games. Little Timmy is still in nappies, so I'm sure he won't notice the difference between 1080p and 1440p.

He's also not old enough to come crying to neogaf about how he experienced a few frame drops in Lego star wars.

Not sure if you have kids, but you've now cursed yourself. Your first/next child will say this lol.

Vashetti

Banned
Pro is not a real 4k box

Cant even play 4k blurays😂

Not console-warring, but the Pro has several native 4K titles and can playback 4K through Netflix, Amazon, etc.

Not all the games are 4K native, but to say it's not a real 4K box is disingenuous.

Spoiler: Scorpio won't have every game in 4K either.

Breakage

We're some of you expecting this thing to suddenly turn the tides and gain maketshare over PS4, or hell, even the base Xbox One?

"Premium" is pretty much code for niche. This console will be a niche product.

If it is intended to be a niche product then why are Microsoft hyping it up in such a way that suggests that Scorpio is the future of Xbox? Sony's quieter PS4 Pro launch and lower price point makes more sense everyday. Pro is supposed to be a uprated addition to the existing PS4 platform and the price and marketing reflect that well. The way Microsoft have been going on about Scorpio suggests it is a next gen console when it's just an uprated Xbox One. The thing isn't even gonna have exclusives.

See if this happens, I honestly don't understand the point of it or that it's better than just announcing the price. In fact, it seems more like it's running the risk of just being confusing and messing up the message all for a "gotcha" moment that the vast majority will not be in on...

Exactly. Besides the $499 price point at launch, the Xbox One was also muddled by MS's lack of consistency on their message about what Xbox One actually was.

FTF

Gotta hand it to MS, one of the best stunts ever, just look at this thread, over 50 pages already and it's not slowing down, lol.

lol only a good stunt if it's not $500. And yeah, we'll be over 100 pages by show start.

Geoff is doing this because Konami going to showcase Metal Gear Survive on Microsoft stage lol.

kojima-mattrick.jpg

These two come out on stage. It's all part of a ruse. Metal Gear Survive, officially unveiled as Metal Gear: Survive, a Metal Gear 1 remake, created in Fox engine. Kojima and Konami are still together. Mattrick reveals himself as the head of Konami. Geoff, betrayed by Kojima's words and deeds, leaks a $499 price point, giving Microsoft bad press, providing an uphill battle for Microsoft, who reveals the Scorpio price tag to be $399.

Crushed by PS4? Why do you compare it to ps4? At least compare it to ps4 pro. Its a Premium product. Microsoft never wanted to sell gangbusters with this. They want to Change the mindset. People should stop thinking that Xbox is "weak".

It will get crushed by the PS4 pro then.

Bruno

But you still need the CPU, power, casing, etc. And you need to put the time in to put it all together, install software, and optimize games.

Scorpio? You plug it in and get instant 4K 60fps. For cheaper.

4K 60fps? Is that a joke dude? It has the same CPU as Xbox One

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
If true, this thing better do more than what the Pro is doing. By that I mean some sort of exclusive feature or games.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
They

Have

A

$250

Safety

Net

Called

Xbox One S

Yup.

Only thing now tho....how much bigger are they going to go for their actual next gen system? The jump could seem small vs the Scorpio but amazing vs the Slim.

This is something both MS and Sony must think about alot.

wbEMX

XBOX ONE X would be an alright name. Oh, and $499 for what it sets out to do is actually right on point. Of course the Pro is cheaper, but Sony wouldn't have been able to justify such a price point just going by what they did with the Pro hardware, which is not a lot.

RocknRola

lol

--

It'll suck if it's 499€ :S Kinda expensive here (Portugal). I kinda want it (especially if games like AC, which I'm a sucker for, play better there) but the price...eh.. we'll see.

I'll make up my mind when the dust settles.

Microsoft does not care about GAF. As far as I can tell, this is the only community that really sold itself on the $399 narrative. Thus, it's the only one that will react negatively to $499. Everyone else will be unsurprised, namely because that's what most people forecasted based on the internals.

They're not going to take a 20% reduction in revenue just to please one niche fan community that already hates them.

Yea I'm not really seeing this reaction elsewhere. We've known for a year it wasn't going to be $399. They were about as clear as can be without actually saying it.

A few people make great points. Many people (not all, but it has been more than a few) have said this was going to be MS's way to compete with Sony again. To bring the gamers back to the MS side of the equation. But at 499 that ISN'T going to happen. Are you going to get the hardest of hardcore? Yeah maybe, but they are what? 20-25% of the entire gaming population? (based that off of the 1/5 of PS4's sold after the pro launch have been pros). This needs to be a powerful machine that appeals to the wide gaming audience.

Averon

I am not surprised. The thing have some fancy vapor cooling system, if I remember right. That has to cost a lot. Also, I am sure the rest MS isn't too keen on subsidizing the cost of the system.

Top Bottom