• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: Scorpio rumored to cost $499 (he's right, flawless victory)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
From the CEO Kaz Twitter...

DCDjjbVXUAAOnfu.jpg

Obviously it would never happen, but what if this was all marketing only to reveal that the console is actually 349.00

Microsoft would be hailed as gods.

I know people keep saying this is a "premium product" b/c it's supposed to be powerful, but with games needing to be targeted for the XBone S how can this really be pushed? Hasn't the PS4 Pro been a little underwhelming in that department b/c of the need to be supported for non-Pros?

EvB

Yeah, I also think along these lines, we are basically going from double 7870 in PS4Pro to a tad bigger GPU than 480, Jaguar bump is ignorable,

This simply can not cost whopping extra 100$ one year after PS4 release.

I could imagine Microsoft asking $449, if they insist on playing stupid, but find that unlikely.

50% more ram
Faster ram
expensive cooling system
UHD Drive
Faster HDD

weekev

Banned
They are gonna revive it next year with updated specs and call it the Xbox One X Omega or XBOXOXO, they just want to share the love.

Lgndryhr

Yeah and a beer dispenser. 1tb with standard conyroller, + a game bundled will be the best case scenario for 499.

Haha. That'd be funny to see on a console. SATA drives are so cheap nowadays that it's crazy what console manufacturers charge and give us for storage space. Realistically I agree though. We might see an elite controller 2.0 as a new accessory though.

ganaconda

What I don't know is what's in the configuration for $499. But that's where it's starting.

I don't leak games because I would never do that to game creators -- they deserve their moment. This is different, it's the price of a piece of hardware.

That is such terrible logic. Why do the game creators deserve their moment, but the hardware creators who puts years of blood, sweat, and tears into designing that piece of hardware not deserve the same?

Sounds like a biased and not thought out perspective in favor of what you care more about.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I'm not sure what the end game here is for Geoff - whatever the price or circumstances.

Aru

There is no way in hell Scorpio is gonna cost 400$. In comparison to PS4 Pro, Scorpio has basically a new architecture that is more than just an upgrade to XB1's. GPU isn't the same, RAM type isn't the same and there is more RAM than XB1, CPU seems better than what we saw on PS4 Pro (ie. not an overclocked processor).

So I agree with Geoff here, 500$ will be the price they will announce at E3.

500$ makes perfect sense for the product and what it can do...

That said, I have a very hard time believing its going to do well at that price point. I haven't seen Microsoft really answer a simple question: Who exactly is this product for?

Its clearly not for the average consumer who can't afford a 500$ upgraded system let alone a 4K TV to take advantage of it.

It's not for kids who will never be able to get their parents to buy a 500$ system over the much cheaper options for the holiday season.

It's clearly not for the tech enthusiast as they'd clearly rather buy a high end PC.

So is it just the diehard xbox fans then? That won't carry the sales alone and its setting themselves up for massive failure much like how Steam Machines were the past few years. Hardware alone doesn't sell a product and Microsofts other decisions such as not allowing Scorpio only games or putting first party titles on PC doesn't really help them.

Then you have to think about the next generation. We're already midway past this generations life-cycle introducing this system now brings into question if Microsoft hasn't made a huge mistake by diverting time, resources, and a lot of money into this systems development that would have been much better spent on the next generations system instead.

This also doesn't do anything to help Microsoft in the worldwide arena either. People are already talking about how much it'll cost in other regions which is something that Microsoft still isn't doing well in. It does well in USA thanks to the brand alone and the companies pedigree but outside of the states its sales have largely been lack luster.

I'd like to think that they could really have one hell of an exclusive to push on this thing but even if they do... It'll also be on PC with the first party XB1 games going to PC as well unless they decide to stop doing that now which also won't help them. It could be a third party exclusive (or timed exclusive like TR was in the past) but that would be a severely... odd decision to make when you look at how TR performed because of that decision on both XB1 and PS4, the blowback hurt that game a lot despite it being pretty great overall.

I just look at what Microsoft is doing and a lot of the decisions they've made just don't make sense to me. Closing studios, canceling multiple games that are far into production, completely giving up on the Japanese market and not at all courting Japanese developers, this isn't even talking about all the mistakes they started the generation with. I just don't understand what they are thinking and how they think they are going to be able to compete in this industry with moves like this. These decisions are like Sega during the Saturn era bad.

I'm not exactly a fan of Microsoft to begin with but I did buy a XB1 about a year after it came out and eventually sold it when they kept canceling every freaking game I was looking forward to and I thought that Scorpio could be really cool but while things like the Xbox Games pass thing sound intriguing they also seem desperate and its getting more and more obvious that the generation is already won by Sony and at this point Microsoft is trying to be like Nintendo and do their own thing now but the reason Nintendo generally succeeds with doing something different is that they have some really unique tech and great ideas and the IP and developers to back it up, Microsoft doesn't really have that. They've always been focused on the power of a system, not the uniqueness, the 'great ideas' they've had have backfired massively (Xb1 reveal, holy cow what a shit show that was), they have some strong IP but time and again they aren't using it well and the developers they've got are few and far between now since they've closed studios and canceled many projects already quite far into production.

I just don't understand why Microsoft does the things that it does, Nintendo and Sony I can understand even when I don't agree with the decisions at all but I still understand at the core why they are doing that but with Microsoft what they do just doesn't make sense to me. Yes the XB1 wasn't as powerful as the PS4 and they got mocked for that early on but Scropio is TOO powerful and its coming out way to late to make a difference at the price they want it for.

I guess we'll see if Microsoft has some secrets that they'll be showing off tonight for the system or games or something but justify this but right now I really question that price point and what Microsoft wants its position to be within the industry and I'm not sure they have a direct answer to that last question either.

Yup, great post, sums up how I feel about it. We'll see

Obviously it would never happen, but what if this was all marketing only to reveal that the console is actually 349.00

Microsoft would be hailed as gods.

To quote myself a few pages back

See if this happens, I honestly don't understand the point of it or that it's better than just announcing the price. In fact, it seems more like it's running the risk of just being confusing and messing up the message all for a "gotcha" moment that the vast majority will not be in on...

Mauddib

Banned
There is no coming back for Xbox after this. If they go through with it, they are done.

MS - here me now. Revert back to a normal price or else you are done.

Tryphus

Neo Member
So it's like the price of a PS4Pro added to the price of a 4k bluray player? I hope the Pro gets a price drop.

...and Rogue Squadron.

Sheroking

That is such terrible logic. Why do the game creators deserve their moment, but the hardware creators who puts years of blood, sweat, and tears into designing that piece of hardware not deserve the same?

Sounds like a biased and not thought out perspective in favor of what you care more about.

Yeah.... sorry engineers, but your derivative hardware isn't art.

Mrbob

In retrospect of his tweet, whether it's right or wrong, I'm kind of disappointed he posted it. He is a guy who does a bunch of hosting at E3 and tries to lock down exclusive information so he should know that posting this price point ahead of time deflates hype for an upcoming show.

I'm still not sure why he posted this unless it was intended to be a deflection and then he still doesn't look good.

llien

Are we all expecting Scorpio games to run at 60fps?

It is expected to have RX 480 (a bit more CUs but lower clocks) which is a solid 1080p card.
Maybe 1440p, but certainly not 4k.

Even with secret sauce native 4k at 60fps IN ALL GAMES is too much to ask Scorpio, imo.

Elman

We're some of you expecting this thing to suddenly turn the tides and gain maketshare over PS4, or hell, even the base Xbox One?

"Premium" is pretty much code for niche. This console will be a niche product.

I will never understand the hype cycle for this machine. I'm all for iterative consoles, and I think Scorpio will be a great addition to the market (just like the Pro), but people are treating this like it's start of a new console generation.

vpance

Lol at people who ever thought $399 was possible. Why would MS eat a $100 loss on a niche model? MS ain't gonna outdo Sony on costing with a more powerful console.

Darknight

Well if this is way better than a Pro and will be on the market without "competition" they can charge this.

I mean think about it, in a year is sales are meh, they can drop the price and still be better hardware than a Pro. The Pro may be 350 and MS can drop Scorpio to 400. By 2018, I think people may start(talking out my butt) jumping to "better" hardware.

I still dont think Sony will release PS5 until 2020, maybe holiday 2019?

On the other hand, if PS4 keeps up sales, this will hurt Scorpio.

From the CEO Kaz Twitter...

DCDjjbVXUAAOnfu.jpg

is this real?
nevertheless, the price is out of the world...
no offense, but when consoles wanted to "get back on their feet" they usually sold at a large loss....
but even if at 499$ it's already being sold at a large loss, is one hundred too much :)

If they are really going ALL IN on power and premium price then good fucking luck.

Maybe they took the early gen resolution gate too personally and over compensated?

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I believe this is just to get us prepped for it costing way less. Wasn't there a cryptic ad that it would cost $300?

ahartig

Not sure if it's been mentioned but what if there is $499 sku with controller and 2 tb hard drive and a 399 version with no controller and 1 tb hd

Would seem to make a lot sense.

jeffram

Price of announced hardware =/= existence of an unannounced game

In retrospect of his tweet, whether it's right or wrong, I'm kind of disappointed he posted it. As a guy who does a bunch of hosting at E3 and tries to lock down exclusive information he should know that posting this price point ahead of time deflates hype for an upcoming show.

I'm still not sure why he posted this unless it was intended to be a deflection and then he still doesn't look good.

It's the price for a bit of hardware. If that's what people are getting hyped about rather than games they should re evaluate their priorities.

I will never understand the hype cycle for this machine. I'm all for iterative consoles, and I think Scorpio will be a great addition to the market (just like the Pro), but people are treating this like it's start of a new console generation.
In a way Microsoft kinda does too. They're so loud about it you kinda forget sometimes this is just a beefed up Xbox one and not a new gen

Top Bottom