• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: Scorpio rumored to cost $499 (he's right, flawless victory)

From the CEO Kaz Twitter...

DCDjjbVXUAAOnfu.jpg

He used to be funnier.

Tankard

I'm not sure what the end game here is for Geoff - whatever the price or circumstances.

The end game is not for Geoff. He works for all companies every year. He is allowed to leak this for a reason, i doubt this is a new trend for him that started just this morning.

I mean haven't they been pretty adamant in sticking to the "it will be expensive" angle? I'm honestly pleasantly surprised it's not $600 or some other truly dumb price.

At $500 it's most definitely a niche product, but I'm pretty sure MS already knows that. This was marketed as an enthusiast product from day 1.

rpg_fan

Expected, though I thought it might go for 450. I know the narrative has been that MS would build a killer console and crush the competition, but that seemed unlikely. They're in it to make money, and this price point lets them do that.

In retrospect of his tweet, whether it's right or wrong, I'm kind of disappointed he posted this. As a guy who hosts a ton of E3 shows and tries to lock down exclusive information he should know that posting this price point ahead of time deflates hype for an upcoming show.

I'm still not sure why he posted this unless it was intended to be a deflection and then he still doesn't look good.

He's a gaming journalist, It's his job to report things like this. He doesn't owe a hardware manufacturer anything.

and I agree, the deflection angle would mean his credibility takes a hit. He's supposed to be a neutral party, being part of a orchestrated marketing ruse would be pretty sad.

*Insert Mountain Dew and Dorito pope image here*

I believe this is just to get us prepped for it costing way less. Wasn't there a cryptic ad that it would cost $300?

If you're talking about the picture that said something along the lines of, "you can make this ____ for less than $399", then yes. That's what was speculated at least, a price point at or less than $399.

"Unless something changes today"

Of course it will, lol. Ya'll being played like a fiddle.

Yeah, honestly, this feels like a "leak" to me. Marketing to make people freak to make it seem like a bigger deal when it comes out at a reasonable price.

Maybe that sounds tinfoil hat, but I think this is all part of the marketing plan. $399.

Jeez, why are so many people in denial. Scorpio wasn't going to be the savior for MS. They lost this gen since the beginning. It's the games people should be worried about, not the price of the console in my opinion.

zewone

That is such terrible logic. Why do the game creators deserve their moment, but the hardware creators who puts years of blood, sweat, and tears into designing that piece of hardware not deserve the same?

Sounds like a biased and not thought out perspective in favor of what you care more about.
If I told you the game being announced would cost $60, would that be a spoiler?

Maybe we need the wise words of Hulk Hogan.

"Goodnight HULKAMANIACS and jabronie marks without a life that don't know it a work when you work a work and work yourself into a shoot,marks"

In retrospect of his tweet, whether it's right or wrong, I'm kind of disappointed he posted it. As a guy who does a bunch of hosting at E3 and tries to lock down exclusive information he should know that posting this price point ahead of time deflates hype for an upcoming show.

I'm still not sure why he posted this unless it was intended to be a deflection and then he still doesn't look good.

Geoff when he read that Metal Gear Survive would be in their conference

8672786_3-good-things-about-batman-vs-superman-and_tc5b89d18.gif

All for revenge

Detective

It kinda needs to be that price to compete. Shove any and everything you want in the box. The sticker price is what moves people.

They have the S for that. It's just like you guys have been sleeping the last year.

This is not targeting the mass market. Wake up.

Hawk269

I believe Geoff and $499, but why did he feel the need to announce it? What possessed him to do it?

He said that he is not releasing information on games due to his respect for devs that worked hard on the games, but he gives two fucks about all the people that worked hard on the hardware and created the system and that them showing it and announcing the price was their moment.

Lister

Banned
lol you're not going to build anything near capable of AAA 4K gaming for $500. The GPU alone will cost you nearly that much.

What kind of fantasy land are you living in thast you think a fucking Scorpio is going to be a match for $500 gpu.

Some of the responses here are 2007 console warrior level stupid.

Top Bottom