• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: Scorpio rumored to cost $499 (he's right, flawless victory)

Don't we have years and years of gaming market historical data that seems to suggest that costing $100 more than your competition is a terrible thing?

Will wait for official confirmation, but will not buy at that price. Especially in Canuck bucks. Yeesh.

Paying more for a side grade than we did for the actual next gen of consoles when they released. Crazy.

Im OK with $499.

I think it softens the blow a bit if they talk up the idea that, to them, "generations" of consoles are done and from now on every few years they're going to drop "premium" Xbox upgraded consoles for $499. All backwards compatible going forward so we're building one big Xbox library and stuck in their ecosystem. By the time the next one comes out this will be ~$200/$250 and so on down the line.

IMO.

univbee

Honest question - can you build a PC that does 4K for $500?

Not to mention the fact the Xbox already comes with a controller and operating system packed in.

From scratch, you'd be hard-pressed to do so and it probably wouldn't be as good as PS4 Pro. That said, if you already have a desktop PC and it can take a graphics card, a Geforce 1080 is $499 as SRP and they can be had for less than that.

$499 is the lower-end PS3 launch price. That's crazy. I don't see this doing well unless they've got some megatons for their launch lineup.

Lime

My pessimism talking: Dorito pope doing marketing work to set expectations differently when it's announced for 399

cackhyena

They have the S for that. It's just like you guys have been sleeping the last year.

This is not targeting the mass market. Wake up.

Neither is the Pro. To at least have it at that price makes it compete. Stop making excuses for terrible decisions, maybe. 399.99 isn't exactly cheap either.

killersrquietMV

Neo Member
499 does seem a little excessive for the average gamer. Even if the console is a premium device, a high entry point plays more into Sony's hands if the Pro has a price drop.

MS knows that Scorpio is just a mid-gen refresh, and not going to bring sales like a new gen console. They won't take loss on this by releasing at $399 as estimates from a gaffer put this around $400 without transportation costs, retailer cuts and MS profit.So I would expect this at least $449.

Those who are expecting $399 going to be disappointed.

If MS pulled a $399 then they might get good momentum but won't make a big difference in their revenue other than making their hardcore fans happy, and asking them again to buy another Xbox one just like XB S. They will be selling to same people again and again because mainstream is more moving towards the cheaper XB 1 S and PS4 Slim where there is $150-200 diff.

ikTktW3.png

https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/873959638684770304

tenor.gif

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
People who want to upgrade.

We have to think this is not supposed to blow the doors off. Of course MS and Sony would love to sell them like the base units but the reality is PS4 Pro has about 20-30% sales of PS4 last I looked. MS might try for more.

Ultimately this is for those who want to upgrade. Xbox One came out a little weak, and there's 4k televisions becoming the norm. 2017 and beyond, 720-900p isn't going to cut it for some. These new machines can cater for those and stop people looking over to PC and partially leaving the ecosystem. It just keeps some people up with the times and avoids the upheaval of a whole new system and blank slate every five years.

Last gen started to go stale around 2010. This keeps things interesting for a while longer.

Another thing ppl might not know about is both PSVR and Pro, Sony said they did better than expected and both were supply constrained. Read it in a Sony sales thread recently.

Makes me think they didnt expect them to sell that well. But were still surprised regardless.

MS is probably thinking the exact same thing. And wont manufacture that many.
Nintendo probably played it safe with the Switch and didnt manufacture as much.

Those worrying how is it going to make them money? Dont make too many. Just try to keep up with whatever demand it has.

The Pro and Scorpio isnt supposed to be the bigger sellers. The more powerful consoles that will be? The PS5 and Xbox 2.

bluexy

I just don't understand why Microsoft does the things that it does, Nintendo and Sony I can understand even when I don't agree with the decisions at all but I still understand at the core why they are doing that but with Microsoft what they do just doesn't make sense to me. Yes the XB1 wasn't as powerful as the PS4 and they got mocked for that early on but Scropio is TOO powerful and its coming out way to late to make a difference at the price they want it for.

Eh, I think it's appropriately powerful for the message they're trying to deliver. That is, "This box plays 4K games and every game released on it will be the best version of that game available on console." Of course, that message only lasts until Sony announces their next hardware in a year or few.

That's why I don't think $500 is a competitive price for the console. At $400 Microsoft has the potential to make a cut into the PS4 audience this year. At $500, all it does is create an argument over PS4 Pro vs. Xbox Scorpio. $400 felt like the the decision Microsoft needed to make in order to shift focus away from console hardware and pricing and back to games.

Delivering on the games part is of course another conversation entirely.

Sheroking

He said that he is not releasing information on games due to his respect for devs that worked hard on the games, but he gives two fucks about all the people that worked hard on the hardware and created the system and that them showing it and announcing the price was their moment.

Still not the same thing.

Maybe he did them a favor. If the price reveal is their moment, their moment was going to hurt.

Mauddib

Banned
I believe Geoff and $499, but why did he feel the need to announce it? What possessed him to do it?

So that folk get the disappointment reacts out of the way before the show. They presumably want people tweeting about the games and not the price. If they give a few hours for price tweets before the show then people might get it out of their system before the games are shown.

kennyamr

In retrospect of his tweet, whether it's right or wrong, I'm kind of disappointed he posted it. He is a guy who does a bunch of hosting at E3 and tries to lock down exclusive information so he should know that posting this price point ahead of time deflates hype for an upcoming show.

I'm still not sure why he posted this unless it was intended to be a deflection and then he still doesn't look good.

I bet it was Microsoft that approached him and told him to tweet it.

They couldn't have tons of people on the internet thinking it was going to be $399 just to be disappointed during the conference. They needed to deal with that before it and then focus on games at the presser.

Maximus P

$499 is OK for me depending on the package deals. I want to see if this thing comes with a game/s, some game pass sub time or an elite controller.

Microsoft does not care about GAF. As far as I can tell, this is the only community that really sold itself on the $399 narrative. Thus, it's the only one that will react negatively to $499. Everyone else will be unsurprised, namely because that's what most people forecasted based on the internals.

They're not going to take a 20% reduction in revenue just to please one niche fan community that already hates them.

I don't think they do either if they've looked around long enough lol

Jeez, why are so many people in denial. Scorpio wasn't going to be the savior for MS. They lost this gen since the beginning. It's the games people should be worried about, not the price of the console in my opinion.
Then why make it? Why waste money on R&D for a console that will sell less than the original (if 500€)? They'll just launch one because Sony did it?

You don't launch a product just because.

Gamezone

Gold Member
The thing is that Microsoft doesn't have to sell us the Scorpio. It's not like Sony is making most of their money on the PS4 Pro. They earn money be selling games and software, and if people think the Scorpio is too expensive, they can always buy the old one.

Azull

Crushed by PS4? Why do you compare it to ps4? At least compare it to ps4 pro. Its a Premium product. Microsoft never wanted to sell gangbusters with this. They want to Change the mindset. People should stop thinking that Xbox is "weak".

You're telling us that Microsoft never wanted to sell a lot of its product for a ton of profit? Come back to reality, leave the hyperbole at the door, and have a real conversation here because that is one of the most ridiculous statements in this thread yet.

Top Bottom